The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all. Bright but overcast here in C-s-M, warm enough to go out (to take Daisy to school) sans jacket. The sights and sounds of a playground bring it all back... then I walk away and have another cup of coffee in the warm knowledge that all those kids are SEPs.

The diary today is utterly empty.

Aaaaah.....

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry Richard, at least the journey will be wind assisted!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS, how was the air-show?

You could tell by the wind, he'd truly sinned

Whilst the terrible smell meant straight to hell!

We enjoyed the airshow, but I took no photos as my camera is just not up any sort of precision photography.

The Vulcan display only had one bit of howl and the general  opinion from those around us in the crowd was it was lacking, let us say, panache. but I did give her a farewell wave on your behalf!

However the B727 display (a maritime anti pollution aircraft) showed how sturdy and manoeuverable (ex) airliners actually are.

I also spent a long time chatting to the Irish pilots who were with their Pilatus PC9 in the static display.  The conversation went something like this:

Where are you based?

Dublin.

Oh we are going there next year for the Wales v Ireland 6 nations rugby match.

That's great you'll love Dublin.... I hope you like Guinness and whisky?

You can see where the rest of the conversation went!

I think the big spend was finally joining Shropshire Wildlife Trust.  Something I have been intending to do for a long time.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sun is again making a sort of an appearance. 

TG - sorry I missed your post about Mrs TG, and I add my sincerest best wishes.  

Good to hear from Flavio again, and hopes that the plans work out for you.

Full English, Midway Truck Stop style - this is the Desparate Dan breakfast which is often shared between two or three participants,

1424569_10205548089959988_75082045821014

image by James T Quinney off Facebook.

Shopping calls, so back later, hopefully

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 10

However the B727 display (a maritime anti pollution aircraft) showed how sturdy and manoeuverable (ex) airliners actually are.

A great aircraft the B727 - Built to last.

I hope you like Guinness and whisky?

Shouldn't that be Whiskey?!? :whistle:

Morning all. Bright but overcast here in C-s-M, warm enough to go out (to take Daisy to school) sans jacket. The sights and sounds of a playground bring it all back... then I walk away and have another cup of coffee in the warm knowledge that all those kids are SEPs.

The diary today is utterly empty.

Aaaaah.....

SEPs?

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny clifftop eyrie overlook Bournemouth bay.   SWMBO has departed for the pool leaving me to go to Asda to do the shopping.  Cunning plan on my part as I can get the superglue and white spirit that I forgot so the bogie production line can progress before lunch.

Just a quick anecdote about the dam construction railway that Mick (NB) mentioned.  I modelled a fictional main line connection on Long Preston so did a bit of research.  It lasted well over 10 years and the best bit was the village 'canteen' that had it's own narrow gauge siding to deliver the beer straight into the cellar.  If you look carefully in the old village site you can still see the cutting for the beer siding.   Needless to say we always had a couple of barrels of 'Burtons finest' being delivered to the mixed gauge transfer siding. 

Jock, I will be careful with my knee, I did ask the surgeon when I could start pedalling again and he said, asap as long as you can tolerate the pain.  Yesterday it hurt for the first mile or two then got a lot better.  However I will give it a rest today.

All the best to all and sundry.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The sun's shining so it has poked its way between the clouds.  Must say all these golfing and 'puting terms were leaving me rather lost but then Pete got me down to earth by mentioning shoebeams, stark reminder that after spending just over a quarter of a century firmly embraced in Western land (we still thought knew it was Great of course) my final years on the big railway were spent in the heart of 3rd rail territory gradually converting heathens to the path of rightiousness Westernness.

Have a good day one and all - now am I up to a walk down by the river I wonder?

• Like 10

Morning all,

Generic best wishes etc. as I have a very busy day ahead, I'm told! I will try to get on here again but with both great grandchildren staying over again tonight and tomorrow it may be tomorrow evening. Hope the day brings you all that you'd wish for and thinking of Sherry with today's task ahead of her!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 14

Morning all, a bit dull, dismal and damp outside, just dismal and dull inside. Slimming so no extra toast it will have to be more tea..... I am aiming to lose one kg per week so back on the exercise bike and back up to 15 km per half hour should burn enough fat.  

.....I combine the daily 1hr constitutional with a one sweet treat per day limit/alcohol when we go out only regime Mick. This 3 pronged approach produces heartening progress towards a flat stomach....we just have to avoid going out/away too often.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 7

Unfortunately, I've never used a 10.  They were a bit before my time.  I cut my teeth on a VAX-11 and those systems were great.  The PDP-11 was a wonderful machine too.

Absolute bloatware!  Our VAX Cluster only had around 3GB storage.

Rose-tinted mode off.

PDP-11 - that takes me back.  I ran a system in the mid 1980s gathering metrology data, using a PDP-11 with 64K memory, and 2 12 inch 10MB Winchester disks for storage.  Data transfer was by 8 inch floppies with a capacity of 128K.  The main programming language was Fortran 4 (upgraded to Fortran 77 at one point), and most programming had to use overlays (ie only small amounts of the program in memory at any one time) due to the lack of memory.

Cold day here so far - my hands were quite chilled after re-roping the rotary dryer.  Lawn mowing beckons next.  I went out to photograph the 'new' passenger trains in West Cumbria - 4 carriages topped & tailed by DRS Class 37s, but the light wasn't very good, so the photos aren't up to much, but here is one anyway:

post-9029-0-33493800-1434448850.jpg

There are two sets in use, the other one has 3 DRS logod carriages and 1 old Virgin one - does look odd.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Inconsistent? Me??? Not likely. Must be all those beanz...

attachicon.gifheinzbeans.jpg

Branston beans are better - much nicer taste to the Branston ones in my the opinion of our household (currently only 2x6 packs in the reserve stock, not sure how many tins are in the ready use area in the kitchen - and definitely not to be consumed with fried/grilled breakfasts!).

Edit to insert a crucial missing 't'  :O

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7

PDP-11 - that takes me back.  I ran a system in the mid 1980s gathering metrology data, using a PDP-11 with 64K memory, and 2 12 inch 10MB Winchester disks for storage.  Data transfer was by 8 inch floppies with a capacity of 128K.  The main programming language was Fortran 4 (upgraded to Fortran 77 at one point), and most programming had to use overlays (ie only small amounts of the program in memory at any one time) due to the lack of memory.

The PDP-11 did a lot of that sort of work.  The sort of stuff that would be done using microcontrollers in this day and age.

Hardware wise, the PDP-11 was pretty simple - but the instruction set was a work of art.  It was beautifully orthogonal, and build very well upon DECs previous experience.  Admittedly, the floating point instructions on the eleven were a bit strange, but true to form, DEC improved them on the VAX-11.

• Like 4

Lovely day. Just watched a micro-lighter (seat and engine underneath a kite type) dealing with some turbulence, presumably to do with the thermals. Looked like a three dimensional analogue to a tank slapper on a motorbike. Sort of a wild pendulum effect, with significant loss of altitude from all the resulting side slip. Hope he comes back and does it again now I have the binoculars to hand. I was inconveniently occupied refilling a bird feeder when he began the party piece.

... using a PDP-11 with 64K memory, and 2 12 inch 10MB Winchester disks for storage.  Data transfer was by 8 inch floppies with a capacity of 128K...

The 'sneakernet' for data transfer is the one bit I truly remember. That period was like sitting under a waterfall of ever changing hardware and software none of which I can recall in detail. But it worked, except when it didn't. I have seen a man (harmlessly) covered in green goo thanks to one such malfunction, can there be any better comedic system failure outcome? And there was always the option of a pub session at lunchtime where we could analyse what had gone wrong.  Truly it was a golden age, little did those of us experiencing the data tech revolution fully realise it at the time.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I am taking a break from my trip to hell!

My workshop is a tip.

I've gone through a few boxes wondering why did I keep this. 

Business cards from over 6 years ago: They will be useful for card modelling!.

Small offcuts of metal:  That'll be useful for a small job!

Why have I got four lathes in here?

Where did all these boxes of 4mm stuff come from?

Just before lunch I found some blanks for a couple of pairs of toolmakers clamps:  They'll be handy.....Whoa!  Chuck them in the scrap box you idiot!

Afternoon all! Not caught up since yesterday, but that breakfast picture that Stewart posts would do me a treat just now (and I'm not sure of the concept he refers to in describing it... share???).

Busy day so far and not scheduled to get any less busy this afternoon.

If anyone finds my motivation, could you please send it back? Reward available.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I am taking a break from my trip to hell!

My workshop is a tip.

I've gone through a few boxes wondering why did I keep this. 

Business cards from over 6 years ago: They will be useful for card modelling!.

I use old business cards to mix up two-part epoxy glue on.

I think I still have a box of about 100 with my own name on somewhere when the company I was working for re-branded and all the old cards were surplus.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

Afternoon all! Not caught up since yesterday, but that breakfast picture that Stewart posts would do me a treat just now (and I'm not sure of the concept he refers to in describing it... share???).

Busy day so far and not scheduled to get any less busy this afternoon.

If anyone finds my motivation, could you please send it back? Reward available.

Did you not leave it on the banks of the Wear? Air Force (

Afternoon All,

I had a very profitable meeting with my soon-to-be "ex-boss"... Bottom line: the Boss's company will be one of my first clients (to help maintain continuity of service with 3 existing and potentially profitable clients), the Boss is happy for me to deal with any past client (but not the 3 currently running clients), as my focus is in a completely separate therapeutic area to that of my boss's company I will pass on potential client contacts to the boss and vice versa. I was also offered the opportunity to acquire - through payment in kind - one of the AG (PLC - I think) companies my boss has set up - but this would certainly be a future step. In all a modestly positive outcome (but I am not ordering the corporate jet quite just yet - let's see how the work rolls in...) but I not doing the proverbial chicken counting, I'll still be looking for my own clients. As My Boss can't payout my unused holiday days, I must take them before leaving the company (starting midday tomorrow and running until my last day at the company). I'll be taking this time to both relax and to set up my business. I might even get some modelling done.

Unfortunately, altough the mind is still functional the body is crap (knees need fixin' - again, and I have "horrendoma" on my bonce which needs to be removed...). which is the result of the genetic lottery providing me with the DNA for the thick, stolid, body of the dim Anglo-Saxon peasant and the genes for the mind of an elegantly thin Italian intellectual (it could be worse I suppose: the mind of a thicko Saxon peasant in the elegantly thin body of an Italian intellectual), But on the positive side, I can still use the brain when I am recuperating from getting my knee fixed. WiFi is a most wonderful invention.

Anyway, have a good afternoon and as they said on Hill Street Blues; "Let's be careful out there"

iD

• Like 6