The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I'm on kitchen fitter's mate duty this week. How to get a complete kitchen with all mod cons into an eight feet on a side room. (Happily a room with both door and window well positioned in the centre of facing walls, so an efficient U shape plan is feasible) Base units aligned yesterday, electrician should be in right now to complete some work he ran out of time on last week, a small plumbing job, and all base units and wall mounts installed by the day's end is today's plan.

The friend whose project this is will one day construct the most efficiently planned model railway ever seen. Just has to escape hordes of folk asking for his help with the many practical tasks at which he has regularly demonstrated great proficiency.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

We ran out of time to do the Sun although in thep ast its been way too rowdy of a weekend. The Three Mariners was very pleasant - first tme in there for a few years but shame that there are so many new flats around it..

We also visited a couple along the quay for the first time.

The Merchants on the way from the station into town and the Robert Gillow nearby also worthy of a quick drink or two.

We walked in and out of one Wethers near the bus station as the music was so loud.

Walked past the John O Gaunt a number of times but not been in - lovely looking pub though.

Up the top along the canal both the White Cross and Water Wych were visted on the Friday night follwed by the Tap House.

The Borough is where we spent most of the time drinking though.

Good choices there, I think, though I find the Merchants a bit like drinking in a railway tunnel.  Gillow is great, and is where most of the musicians who used to play the John O Gaunt wound up.  Sun, I have never known to be rowdy, as Matt and Phil tend to rule with a firm hand.  Agree with the noise in the bottom 'spoons, but it is a Lloyds Bar, so that is par for the course - the top one is quieter, and also a little cheaper.  Water Witch is a bit of a curate's egg with me - used to be owned by Matt and Phil, but they sold it to Mitchells when they bought the Duke of Edinburgh in Barrow, and I felt went a bit off after the change of ownership.  But the big tragedy is the John, which used to be not only one of the best pubs in town, but one of the best in the land.  However, Steve the landlord with the golden touch got fed up with pubco interference and rent rise after rent rise, and quit - the next tenant made a real hash of things, and it closed on and off for a while, and all of the bands abandoned the place due to various issues to move to the Gillow.  Re-opened and changed hands a couple of times more, and now nowhere near the pub it was.  Sad really.

Next time you're in the area, PM me, and we'll see if a pint can be shared.

Oh and finally, there is secure off road parking at the Parksafe which is next door to the Three Mariners and is the car park of choice for the rooms at the Sun, though it's a bit of a hike back to the Borough with cases and stuff, though you could park up outside the Borough in the council bays, get checked in, then drive round, and repeat the exercise in the morning.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning. Bright and breezy here.

I don't think I am going to need any more paracetamol following the molar extraction. It does feel as if someone had punched me around the head though. I didn't feel athing during the extraction as my dentist said he had used a large dose of local anaesthetic. I have been left a little shopping list. Fortunately no need to venture out of Benfleet, Aldi or the Co-op will do nicely.

I won't be going out until the expected package from IoM is delivered.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I have no excuse other than idleness to prevent any shopping trips. My diesel from the Isle of Man arrived. I made sure that Donk hadn't included himself in the packaging in an attempt to get back to the mainland to see his new friend in Henley  Fortunately just the usual packaging material.

The loco has been chipped, very easy. I have decided to leave fitting a driver for  a while. Googling "separate cab from body Bachmann Class 20" seems to require a technique similar to that used by my dentist yesterday.

Tony

• Like 13

Morning all and it's a sunny one.

Somewhat tired and emotional on parade this morning as it was the "Leavers do" last night as we formally wished Year 6 on their way. 

The evening consisted of the children treating us to a theatrical production, followed by a citizenship ceremony where a short speech was made about each child by the teacher and some humorous awards drawing out something about each child's character given out by the Year 6 team (including me). Finally, as their teacher is moving to another school the children reversed the tables and started to give him accolades and awards. Parents, teachers and children then adjourned to our local hostelry. All-in-all a brilliant evening.

Just a cricket match - parents vs children to go and then the school bell will be rung for the last time. Nuts, I seem to have a speck of dirt in my eye already.

Meanwhile MkIII of the station building is in production, this time using computer-generated artwork. I figured it might get around my inability to cut a straight line for window recesses!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Just forgot this: Leoliner control desk with muted illumination…

img_3131bhulg.jpg

As you can see, it's laid out very clearly with nice, tangible buttons and switches, large and easily legible speedometer (with integrated digital clock, left; battery voltage indicator, centre; and day trip meter, right), and a nice and solid controller handle (set for the left hand) and static handlebar for the right hand. The latter handlebar contains triggers for deadman, track brake, sanders and headlamp flashers on the inside; as well as a bell trigger in the left end for actuation with the right thumb. Again, you can also see the ITCS terminal to the right of the speedometer, which in my impression is good to operate, too, and has a touch screen.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

G’night Jock and Dom...

Dom I bet we’re are the only 2 bu@@ers actually awake.....

Best, Pete.

Add the rest of our driving groups!

Before I forget it again (shame on me), may I just say that I'm thinking of you, Mick (NB). That is truly dreadful, and such a pointless loss of life...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A bright & sunny day with no rain promised so i understand i am deputed to tackle the rapidly advancing jungle at the bottom of the garden - I may be some time.

Have a good day one & all

PS Hint for DD - make sure the exterior doors are locked at night any keys are well out of casual sight.  I wouldn't like you to be lumbered with what we had one Christmas Night 15 or so years ago when I heard the noise of the front gate and looked out to see MIL setting off down the road, at 03.00 on Boxing Day.  Mrs Stationmaster duly pursued and caught her mum only to be told she was off to meet her husband in Exeter - he'd been dead and buried for over 20 years.  So watch out for 'escape' attempts.

• RMweb Gold

Good choices there, I think, though I find the Merchants a bit like drinking in a railway tunnel.  Gillow is great, and is where most of the musicians who used to play the John O Gaunt wound up.  Sun, I have never known to be rowdy, as Matt and Phil tend to rule with a firm hand.  Agree with the noise in the bottom 'spoons, but it is a Lloyds Bar, so that is par for the course - the top one is quieter, and also a little cheaper.  Water Witch is a bit of a curate's egg with me - used to be owned by Matt and Phil, but they sold it to Mitchells when they bought the Duke of Edinburgh in Barrow, and I felt went a bit off after the change of ownership.  But the big tragedy is the John, which used to be not only one of the best pubs in town, but one of the best in the land.  However, Steve the landlord with the golden touch got fed up with pubco interference and rent rise after rent rise, and quit - the next tenant made a real hash of things, and it closed on and off for a while, and all of the bands abandoned the place due to various issues to move to the Gillow.  Re-opened and changed hands a couple of times more, and now nowhere near the pub it was.  Sad really.

Next time you're in the area, PM me, and we'll see if a pint can be shared.

Oh and finally, there is secure off road parking at the Parksafe which is next door to the Three Mariners and is the car park of choice for the rooms at the Sun, though it's a bit of a hike back to the Borough with cases and stuff, though you could park up outside the Borough in the council bays, get checked in, then drive round, and repeat the exercise in the morning.

Maybe we just picked a bad night one Sunday a few years ago in the Sun with a noisy group of people and loud music. WIll definitely make a visit there again but just so many places to visit.

The Duke of Edinburgh in Barrow is great place and very handy for the station.

Thanks for the heads up about the secure parking.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have no excuse other than idleness to prevent any shopping trips. My diesel from the Isle of Man arrived. I made sure that Donk hadn't included himself in the packaging in an attempt to get back to the mainland to see his new friend in Henley  Fortunately just the usual packaging material.

The loco has been chipped, very easy. I have decided to leave fitting a driver for  a while. Googling "separate cab from body Bachmann Class 20" seems to require a technique similar to that used by my dentist yesterday.

Tony

I have one where the cab just refuses to budge. I think they used a year's supply of glue on that one.

It was a bit of a pain as I'd managed to fit lighting into the nose end no problem.

Sorry about that Debs. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Morning. Bright and breezy here.

I don't think I am going to need any more paracetamol following the molar extraction. It does feel as if someone had punched me around the head though. I didn't feel athing during the extraction as my dentist said he had used a large dose of local anaesthetic. I have been left a little shopping list. Fortunately no need to venture out of Benfleet, Aldi or the Co-op will do nicely.

I won't be going out until the expected package from IoM is delivered.

Tony

You should have used Ibuprofen, I think, Paracetamol doesn’t work on inflammation according to the latest studies over here. Just a suggestion, of course.

Best, Pete.

Thanks for the heads up about the secure parking.

Ian, You really ought to write a book on Pubs at or near Stations.

The bar opposite platform 18 at Liverpool Street Station used to serve some of the best kept beer in London during the seventies.....................

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Aft'noon all,

We're just entering the 'mostly confined to disinfected barracks' stage....Is has been to have a No1 clipper cut and returned wearing a bandana which caused a wobble as she has always had a well kept head of hair. I've distracted her a little with the new two tone pale paint scheme on what was previously a dark front door. Being able to relate losing my own hair in clumps following a train crash in 1986 (at the age of 19) helped a little too. Even as a bloke it was disconcerting that the chemical treatment to encourage re-growth failed and a shaved head/No1 clipper cut became the clear sensible route...at a time when collar length hair was the norm and skinhead cuts still carried lifestyle statement undertones. 

First chemo tomorrow

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Gold

You should have used Ibuprofen, I think, Paracetamol doesn’t work on inflammation according to the latest studies over here. Just a suggestion, of course.

Best, Pete.

Paracetamol works very well for me as a painkiller. For this I am very grateful.

• RMweb Gold

Aft'noon all,

We're just entering the 'mostly confined to disinfected barracks' stage....Is has been to have a No1 clipper cut and returned wearing a bandana which caused a wobble as she has always had a well kept head of hair. I've distracted her a little with the new two tone pale paint scheme on what was previously a dark front door.

First chemo tomorrow

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

A couple of female friends have had similar haircuts. After the treatment (very successful) their hair has returned quite splendidly.

Afternoon all!

Four day working week (of which I'm less than 4 hours into) and I'm already feeling the waves of apathy coming over me...  I've just had the depressing thought that now that our pension age has increased to 67, I've still got another 28 and a half years of this ahead of me...

On the plus side, looking ahead to September, I've not got a single 5 day working week in the calendar.

Had Jamie down to her grandparents' over the weekend, so while I was off work yesterday, it wasn't exactly a holiday, 4 1/2 hours or more of driving...

• Like 2

Oi!

Ditto!! I WAS actually awake, but had omitted to check for the last/latest post last evening, I usually do, then again there's usually that quiet period around that time where us US based folks don't post as we are only talking to ourselves :O then again that's nothing new according to the Mrs!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian, You really ought to write a book on Pubs at or near Stations.

The bar opposite platform 18 at Liverpool Street Station used to serve some of the best kept beer in London during the seventies.....................

Best, Pete.

I would rather spend the time drinking and / or  modellnig than writing.

My typing is not good as often evidenced in these pages :boast:

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Amid the clouds of darkness posted all too often of late I can share some good news.

Five years ago I was diagnosed with a uniquely male cancer.  Not one of the "regular" ones but one affecting the pride of every man among us.  Those are pretty rare.  

Today I was seen by my consultant radiation oncologist for a routine check.  It turned out to be the last one.  His doorway remain open should I ever feel a need to visit but I am officially discharged from his care with a clean bill of health and no loss of - shall we say - function or dignity.

I respect the fact that not all will be as lucky.  I myself have lost very close friends including a former partner.  Having come through diagnosis, treatment and after-care I am more than happy to discuss matters privately with anyone who might feel in need of support or friendship through similar cause.

The news carried me through a rather challenging day at the Palace.  Now I can finally open that beer!!!

• Like 5