Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Looks in great condition - just needs some steel wool and cod liver oil.

...and a nut to secure the buffer!  Have another look at the photos!

Martyn, the owner, brought out a photo of Ogwen with the driver, back to the camera, arm leaning against the smokebox, a spanner in full view on the locomotive, and no nut.  "What happened to it?" was the question of the afternoon.

post-14049-0-02126800-1442914105.jpg

Edit to add photo.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 13

I’ve become phlegmatic about it. EXCEPT to urge everyone over 50 to have regular colonoscopies - it really does save lives. Waiting for blood to appear in “stools” is often too late.

Wholeheartedly agree with Pete after what I've just undergone - but I'm not sure that anyone can troll up the doctor's surgery and demand a colonoscopy appointment on the NHS. I chatted with my consultant surgeon about the bowel cancer test that we're sent in the post, and he said it catches around 50% of bowel cancers, but obviously not those that, like mine, don't bleed.

Just checked the internet and a private colonoscopy in Britain costs upwards of £1200, so quite pricey for an hour's work, although obviously worth it if something is found. The worst part is the earthquake enema you take beforehand!

Hope you managed to get some sound sleep, Jock.

Sun is shining here so I'll take advantage and go for a short stroll.

Mal 

Edited by Purley Oaks

I totally agree with you Pete, as yesterday I learned one of our golfing group passed away on Saturday.  Fit as a fiddle and only 56, he was diagnosed with bowel cancel just a few months ago and went into hospital in May, but the diagnosis was too late to save him.  A sad day for many at the club.

On the up side, Archie will be discharged today and we will pick him up at lunchtime.  Not sure how we will deal with his aftercare, but the surgeons must be happy to allow him home.  I understand he will be on 'crate rest' for most of the time, but the joy of having him home again for Jackie will be wonderful.

The heavy rain woke us up at 4am this morning, but thankfully it has stopped now.  Here's hoping for brighter days ahead.

I'm having to work hard in not replying to some of the nonsense that is going on in one or two 00 threads.  It's bordering on trolling and totally distracting for anyone wanting serious information.  Great shame.  God knows how others have the patience to deal with it….

That is sad - because it could have been avoided. Colon cancer is one of the easiest to cure if it is caught soon enough (see GranddadBob’s post too).

I can’t remember the last time it rained here, grass very parched, and no sign of rain in the next week either. Today it is expected to reach 75f - rather cloudy. Tomorrow back to 82f and Sunny.

Amazing to see Archie home already!!!!!      I’m sure he will respond well to being home...

Jock, be strong man. Pain is so debilitating.

Best, Pete.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

oops - sorry Gordon

Missed a specific mention of Archie's return from surgery which is super news indeed - another living tribute to the skills of modern advanced veterinary medicine.

Blue cloudy sky here in sunny Teignmouth, a bit of a breeze but the sun is shining. Sat on the sea front at Dawlish yesterday I could see as far as Portland which must be 40 miles in a straight line. I guess the other headland I could see was Purbeck.

Just phoned the council to see about an assisted collection. I have 10 steps, a 40 metre path, 4 steps a steep 80 metre uphill path with 3 steps and 20 metres of tarmac to cross. With a loaded bin, 2 recycling boxes and a paper 'bag' its getting hard work. Just across the road, a terrace of back to backs have only to leave their bins outside their back gate. I envisage a negative answer, so watch this space.

My Andrew Stadden figures arrived yesterday. I cleaned the waste off last night and hope to get priming today. I am not sure if I the wherewithal for altering poses and adapting clothing as does Mikkel but I may try. The Rolson magnifying visor gave me a headache last night so I cannot imagine wearing it long time. Maybe the headstrap needs a comforting padded liner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A wet morning has eased into some weak sunshine.

On my terrasse, the young Scot is wearing latex gloves to strip the paint/varnish off my shutters, using some nasty substance, scrapers and a wire brush. We then have to rinse them and leave them for 24 hrs before repainting. He is wearing his kilt as always - so the skinny post-lady was most impressed! Sadly her phone was flat so she could not take a picture! Yes, madame, he will be here tomorrow.....

In my latter days in theUK, I was interested in cars, and knew what was about and what things cost. Retirement meant this was an interest largely lost, but every so often I buy a magazine to catch up. When Sherry was playing Lady Bountiful at Parc Mayenne, giving away bits and pieces for which neither she nor I saw any further use, these items included a small outdoor table and a couple of folding chairs, taken away by Geoff. In his 6-litre Lexus hybrid, which I see costs 6-figures in France, although his is English, and was probably only about £85k.

The same magazine tells me VW now have a car for Yorkshire folk. It really is called the e-Up! I expect hate-mail for that.

My new SIMcard has arrived, together with one for a tablet, which is useful when there's no Wifi. I paid a euro extra for the second SIM. My iPad can't take a SIM, but I have a cheap tablet that can.

Sorry to hear Jock's pain is persisting, but hope things improve. Other sufferers seem to be finding their way forward, even if medical wisdom seems a bit twisted in some cases!

Hope your week going to some sort of plan.

• Like 16

Just checked the internet and a private colonoscopy in Britain costs upwards of £1200, so quite pricey for an hour's work, although obviously worth it if something is found. The worst part is the earthquake enema you take beforehand!

Mal 

Over here my Insurance picks it up because of “pre-emptive medicine” - they understand that the alternative will be more expensive. Agree the worst part is the day before!

My first they zapped two polyps, the next year they zapped three! Because of this I had a third the next year and they zapped one. The last two: none.  I’m back on a five year cycle now.

Luckily we do not have to send poop in the post...and yes, Mal, not all are the same and why it is imperative to have an actual colonoscopy - I never had blood either.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

We've got rain too, improvement promised later - I wonder.  And it's making the blinkin' grass grow like fury, no wonder 'they' say that September is a good time to lay turf.  But I trust things will be getting brighter for those recovering from or enduring medical treatments (various).

I can guess exactly what our surgery would say if I asked for a colonoscopy - 'we'll arrange a blood test';  they are firm believers in blood tests for just about everything, must be something to do with the way they are scored on performance although it's surprising how many things can be detected at an early stage that way (according to them).

And best of luck Jim - not at all like the old Darlington Methods of Instruction course which lasted several weeks and according to one of my Signalmen who went on it was absolutely top notch (but then a lot of BR training was in my experience).  And Dave's mention of Crewe reminds me of my seemingly frequent visits to Webb House, a former LNWR building which became a BR training school, very pleasant place.

Have a good day one & all

PS Note for ChrisF, if you happen to have an IMac changing the case of text is a simple matter of a couple of clicks on the mouse and you can even do that on RMweb posts. er, fortunately. 

PPS And yes Gordon I quite agree - looking at some of these threads in order to obtain cogent unbiased information about 00-SF is not a simple or sometimes even a pleasant task.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 13

Mike, It is worth double-checking with your Doctor. My God if you lived over here they’d get you done so fast your feet wouldn’t touch the ground (which is probably the best result after the “day before”..... :O )

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Now I am over 60 even the "day before" is less unpleasant. One gets the "gentle" bowel cleansing preparation.

The medication I have taken to suppress my naughty colon since mid 1984 is not really now recommended for the over 60ss due to risk of it causing cancers so I have been reducing it slowly as instructed and by my calculations this Thursday should be the last dose.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

a quiet house - at last! Youngest Herbert explained why he was in a rush - off to play a company T20 cricket game at Edgebaston - I asked for a photo of him playing as proof!

Finished weathering locos for now, for some reason they just didn't want to be weathered but.. a bit of inspiration and review of some nice photographs and tehn ... job done!

Ta ta for now 

baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Alan but a Google search didn't help me in finding that - can you advise further on Shippen Cleaner as my patio is a mess although with a lot of moss in the gaps in the block paving, it's probably a power washer I need and then refill with sand again ??

Thanks

Mike

Hi, basically its sodium hyperchlorate, thus one has to be carefull what you use it on, a test area is always best. With your problem I would suggest power washing (sadly) then apply  something like  Algon organic path cleaner with a spray and spray twice a year September and April when the moss spores are active. This will kill the moss and should keep the pavers clean.

As for Sodium Hyper chlorate

Stone paving

Most granites, basalts, porphyry, slates and quartzite seem to be unaffected by acid or acid-based cleaners, but proceed with caution and test a small discreet area first.

York Stone, Pennant Stone and Liscannor are variable: some pieces will exhibit no reaction to acid or acid-based cleaners, while others will turn orange. It's related to the iron content, and as this varies from stone to stone, it's best to test before committing larger areas to acid cleaning

Indian sandstones, Limestones, Marble and Travertine: avoid like the plague. Many of the paler Indian sandstones exhibit a violent rusty reaction to acid, although the extent of the reaction does vary from stone to stone and from quarry to quarry. Limestone is dissolved by hydrochloric acid - one of the definitive tests used by geologists to confirm a particular rock as a limestone is the effervescent reaction to hydrochloric acid. Marble and travertine are metamorphic limestones, so they, too, are best kept well clear of acids.

Concrete paving

Plain, uncoloured concrete is 'etched' by washing it with hydrocholric acid. The acid 'eats away' at the top few microns of the concrete surface to reveal a pristine surface beneath. While this may be great for cleaning up dirty or discoloured concrete, it is less successful when used on coloured concrete, which uses dyes based on iron oxide to create various colours within the concrete. The acid reacts with the iron oxide and can have a dramatic affect on the shade, turning buffs, soft reds and browns into strong orange or tan hues.

Most moss can be removed by sweeping and/or scraping. Unlike the algae and lichens, it tends not to penetrate the surface of the paving but to sit atop the crud that has been allowed to accumulate on and around the paving. If chemical warfare is deemed necessary, then a standard weedkiller such as PathClear or Glyphosate will do the job just as effectively as mosskillers without re-colouring the paving.

I used it on plain concrete slabs this morning, great stuff but sadly not suitable for everything, my neighbor decided to try it on tarmac, he ended up with an orange section!

Hope this helps

Alan

Edited by Shedman5

• RMweb Premium

I came up with the title 'Polark Mine' to ride the tide of publicity surrounding the then very popular television series!). We cut tunnels deep into the hillside at the back of our 'Wendron Forge' tourist attraction and steam museum

Well quiver me whimbrels, Jock, we must have met at some time past.  How many bus-loads have I dropped there over the years?  Actually not that many "loads" as it was never the most popular destination but often two or three family groups.

The Redruth - Helston route was one of my regular haunts and when we initiated a summer St. Ives - Gweek (for the seal sanctuary) run which also linked Hayle and Helston as requested by a lot of locals we called in to Poldark Mine on the way.  The promised local business between Hayle and Helston never materialised and most of what we took was tourists from St. Ives going to Gweek and some day-trippers from Helston off to the beach.  For a few years there was even a Sunday open-top bus duty on that route which was inter-worked with the coastal St. Ives - Lands End run.  The route finally ceased after summer 2013 by which time Freddy Williams was running it.

I guess it depends when you were there.

As ever I trust the pain and sleep deprivation can be managed by some means.  Neither is much fun.  Been there done that to a rather lesser extent myself.  Sleep is often a moveable feast and not helped by working railway shifts.

Today has been meh.  I've felt more positive and I've felt better.  Nothing serious.  Just one of those days.  Tomorrow should be better.  If nothing else it's pay day ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hope this helps

Help !! Of course it does - what a very comprehensive reply to a simple question.

Many thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with me (and everyone else).

Have you ever thought about writing a book . . . . . . .

Regards

Mike

• Like 8

Scan reading this page just doesn't pay off. 

I merged Tony and Pete's thinking on colon cleaning with Alan's sodium hyperchlorate advice. 

I may end up with IBS!  :O 

Looking at the local job adverts I see a procurement job needs someone with "experience of running competitions." 

I'm ideal - I once did the Epping 10k!   :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from red dragon land.

Raining again.

I packed Ray off to the Joys of Life Railway working party this morning with a flask and picnic lunch.  I'm taking a sickie today, recovering from a combination of Friday's flu jab ("You may get a heavy feeling in the arm and a snotty nose" - no mention of headache, nausea, lack of appetite, feeling sleepy, being hot then cold ....) and two long days of playing trains.

The other thing is, when you mention kitchen appliances breaking down, can you do so quietly? PLEASE.  My dishwasher has decided to follow suit.  More on that later.

Wishing ERs all, Archie, other pets, and dishwashers, well. 

Have a good afternoon.  I'm off to do some washing up.   :bye: 

• RMweb Gold

Scan reading this page just doesn't pay off. 

I merged Tony and Pete's thinking on colon cleaning with Alan's sodium hyperchlorate advice. 

I may end up with IBS!  :O 

One of my other medications is used to control OCD in dogs but for humans with bowel disorders it seemed to be a requirement to prove there were no psychiatric disorders. I was rated suitable for treatment!

Commiserations to all reporting the loss of loved ones.

Glad to hear Archie (the current canine ER in the news) is home and on the mend - yay, that's a win at least :)

Tuesday in Long Island - at least it's pay day for me too, not that I ever notice/remember, I just work! The Mrs. is CEO and handles most all of that, god bless her.

Zero of any worth to report from the "basement war-room", except that the project is looking more like being delayed until Jan 1st for a go-live (out from Oct. 1st a mere week ago)! That could mean I'll be travelling out here through the New Year and into 2016, not sure yet.

16 and overcast on the drive in, supposed to clear and be "partly cloudy" with a high of 23 forecast.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Commiserations to all reporting the loss of loved ones.

Glad to hear Archie (the current canine ER in the news) is home and on the mend - yay, that's a win at least :)

Tuesday in Long Island - at least it's pay day for me too, not that I ever notice/remember, I just work! The Mrs. is CEO and handles most all of that, god bless her.

Zero of any worth to report from the "basement war-room", except that the project is looking more like being delayed until Jan 1st for a go-live (out from Oct. 1st a mere week ago)! That could mean I'll be travelling out here through the New Year and into 2016, not sure yet.

16 and overcast on the drive in, supposed to clear and be "partly cloudy" with a high of 23 forecast.

Good luck with the winter flights in and out of NYC.

Just booked our internal flights for our next trip. Going on American as they gave the best flight times and price, ie not too early in the morning or to late in the day and decided that Dallas could be a bit too cold or wet so its Phoenix for the stop over heading west - quite a few new breweries near the airport aswell!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11

Had some interesting Equality and Diversity training yesterday. Delivered by an ex Ofsted inspector who told us that we shouldnt need to use the term Mr, Mrs, Ms etc anymore but just use first names and presume that everyone is a 'person'. I suggested that this is partly the reason we have a decline in morals, politeness and standards.

• Like 7

Had some interesting Equality and Diversity training yesterday. Delivered by an ex Ofsted inspector who told us that we shouldnt need to use the term Mr, Mrs, Ms etc anymore but just use first names and presume that everyone is a 'person'. I suggested that this is partly the reason we have a decline in morals, politeness and standards.

In conversations between staff or staff and pupils? I hated being called 'sir' but allowed Mr.

I've never worked in a school where teachers called each other Mister or Missus. We used our first names. Like in real life.

• Like 10

Good luck with the winter flights in and out of NYC.

Just booked our internal flights for our next trip. Going on American as they gave the best flight times and price, ie not too early in the morning or to late in the day and decided that Dallas could be a bit too cold or wet so its Phoenix for the stop over heading west - quite a few new breweries near the airport aswell!

Sounds like a plan - re: JFK, it's bound to be a complete cock-up as they are already having issues due to major runway rebuilding, hence our 2-hour delay last Sunday, and this with perfect weather conditions across the entire flight path! I'm NOT looking forward to the mess that I'm sure will ensue once the weather turns nasty. <sigh>

Hmmm, they should visit some of the places I've worked, I'm not sure everyone there is a 'person', species difficult to determine for some :jester:  :O

In conversations between staff or staff and pupils? I hated being called 'sir' but allowed Mr.

I've never worked in a school where teachers called each other Mister or Missus. We used our first names. Like in real life.

In front of the kids too?

The whole teacher parent relationship thing is fraught with difficulties.

When Elder Lurker had a few problems with another boy in year one, the teacher spoke to Mrs Lurker. "Hello, it's Lorraine". As the conversation proceeded Mrs Lurker realised it was in fact Mrs Jenkinson on the phone.

Not only had they not actually ever spoken to each before (and possibly first name basis was not quite appropriate even in real life) but she had only ever been referred to as Mrs Jenkinson by Elder Lurker. We didn't even know she was Mrs L Jenkinson.

Still, she had sorted the problem out before we were even aware of it, so more power to her elbow

• Like 17