RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I've had problems getting the wheel off for punctures on a couple of occasions and had to call for breakdown assistance.  I didn't have any trouble undoing the nuts but the wheels refused to budge. Both guys who came said this was common with alloy wheels. One of them lay down and proceeded to kick it off. The other used a rubber mallet. ((I now carry one in the boot)

Copper slip grease on the mating face(s) helps, but you don't want to get it on the threads.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

... I know the 3D thing is a love/hate thing, but it worked for us in this movie - and for The Walk trailer. Apparently some viewers at the preview screening of The Walk suffered severe vertigo. Certainly made me sit back.

Mal

II don't think we will be going to any 3d films. Aditi quite likes the demo films where there are tropical fish swimming about. However she was at college a few years ago where there was a demonstration of how to use 3d in an educational context. One of the films was of open heart surgery. Someone thought it would be amusing to make the heart explode. I think Aditi may have hit a couple of managers as she tried to duck out of the way of flying gobbets of flesh. She has a vivid imagination. Even surround sound gets her taking cover!

• RMweb Premium

Back to see what's what after a tasty afternoon "dinner" - for us at present, that's between lunch time and dinner time.  Some excellent own brand chipolatas from Morrisons that I ordered by mistake from the online ordering system, but which were a lot better that I'd expected for a supermarket brand.  Indeed, I'll order them again. 

I had a walk with 30747 and Lil, and enjoyed it.  Also have now perfected having a shower as I've worked out how to get in and out without over-stretching the new joint.  And that is possibly the biggest relief of them all at the mo, as I was getting fed up not feeling bathed.  I sometimes wonder how we got by when Monday was bath night, and we just made do for the rest of the week. 

All this talk about problems with alloy wheels is worrying, as I have them on the Peugeot, and I don't even know if it has standard or locking nuts, as they are covered over.   However, there is an adaptor in the boot, which leads me to think that they are probably some sort of security nut.  As I probably couldn't cope with changing a wheel at present, it does become somebody else's problem as the man from Green Flag will have to assist of I need to do any wheel changes.  I also worry a bit about the sticking of the wheel onto the faces, but the same goes for that.

Back later, as no doubt I'll be having an earlyish night, as I am getting pretty tired.

According to Carole this morning there will be high pressure moving in from the south east later in the week which ties in with the Met Office forecast for us which shows the wind moving round to the south east/ east south east and which probably also accounts for the current view that the tale end of the hurricane will go north of the British Isles.  But it can all change, very quickly.

A butterfly must have flapped his wings in the Amazon basin for Carole.

As at 11:00am today the Hurricane Center has the storm making a beeline for Normandy. They do take into account conditions for the World before making their predictions - but “there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio"....

Best, Pete.

Yep, we saw The Martian yesterday evening in 3D and concur with everything Ian has said. A wonderful film - could have had 20 mins shaved off though... I know the 3D thing is a love/hate thing, but it worked for us in this movie - and for The Walk trailer. Apparently some viewers at the preview screening of The Walk suffered severe vertigo. Certainly made me sit back.

Carpe diem, too, Ian, well said :friends:

Mal

Mal,

3D was an option, but can't seem to sell it to the Mrs or Jemma. They're not impressed for the added cost and need to wear "silly glasses", I mean, who the hell sees you in the glasses anyway? Must be a "ladies/fashion" thing!

Guess when I go to the new Star Wars and James Bond movies (without either of them probably, just my son) we CAN opt for 3D :)

• Like 5

Ian Able said

This morning provides a definite "carpe diem" reminder, as I opened the work email and found one of our "family" died over the weekend. Young guy in his 40's with two small girls. *

I don't know the details but I do know Paul was young, fit and in apparently good health, a shock to everyone, and a reminder/wake-up call again to the frailty of existence <sigh>

*Per the above notation, please, please "carpe diem" if you possibly can, and hug everyone you care about!"[unquote]

Apparently this is something that is becoming more and more common - witness the footballer who DIED on the pitch during a match for 78 minutes (saved by a VERY alert, and highly trained club medical team at the ground) - it is currently a medical mystery as to what is causing it and much research is taking place.

Hope Gemma has got rid of her sinus problem and that the medics are getting to the root cause of that.

Edited by shortliner

One way to unstick a wheel is slacken the nuts/bolts a half turn then drive slowly and jam on the brakes. Repeat in reverse if necessary. You might need to inflate the tyre a bit if its completely flat.

This method will also release a rotor/disk that does not want to come off.

• RMweb Premium

had enough of putting tie down chains on containers on Conflats....

Its raining here - I did get wet on the back from my early morning appointment but seem to have survived the experience.

Her indoors is busy teaching a pupil music theory. I should really take note of this as it could lead to passing a grade 5 music theory paper. This will be followed by recorder, flute, flute and flute pupils... busy night on Monday!

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

One way to unstick a wheel is slacken the nuts/bolts a half turn then drive slowly and jam on the brakes. Repeat in reverse if necessary. You might need to inflate the tyre a bit if its completely flat.

This method will also release a rotor/disk that does not want to come off.

?

Current earworm now . " Three wheels on my wagon..."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last time I had a puncture I couldn't reinflate the tyre as there was a hole bigger than my foot! However considering it punctured at 70mph and survived long enough for a controlled stop without damaging the wheel I wasn't too upset. I think the reinforced sidewalls may have had some contribution too

• Like 10

Had to play golf today as I was selected to play for the Seniors in a match against Mapledurham.  It peed down the whole day and it was totally miserable.  Cold and wet.  The only saving grace was that we managed to win our game, but the whole thing was a draw,  We could have stayed indoors and agreed that without having to walk around for five and a half hours in the pissing rain.... :derisive:

Spent most of the round thinking about the joys of building 00-SF pointwork in the warm.

Utility room looks like a bomb in a laundry.  Wet stuff everywhere.

Hope your day was considerably more enjoyable than mine....:-)

Edited by gordon s

Ian Able said

This morning provides a definite "carpe diem" reminder, as I opened the work email and found one of our "family" died over the weekend. Young guy in his 40's with two small girls. *

I don't know the details but I do know Paul was young, fit and in apparently good health, a shock to everyone, and a reminder/wake-up call again to the frailty of existence <sigh>

*Per the above notation, please, please "carpe diem" if you possibly can, and hug everyone you care about!"[unquote]

Apparently this is something that is becoming more and more common - witness the footballer who DIED on the pitch during a match for 78 minutes (saved by a VERY alert, and highly trained club medical team at the ground) - it is currently a medical mystery as to what is causing it and much research is taking place.

Hope Gemma has got rid of her sinus problem and that the medics are getting to the root cause of that.

Unfortunately not - she's on a steroid and 3 week antibiotic, after which another CT scan. The Mayo Clinic are also on the ticket so one way or another they'll figure it out, in the mean time she's missing flying. <sigh>

?

Current earworm now . " Three wheels on my wagon..."

Indeed. If you were to overdo it, you might be able to sheer the studs.

When I say "drive slowly" I mean slower than walking pace. The trick is to use the huge mass of the vehicle and the enormous amount of friction produced by the brakes to generate enough torque to crack the corrosion that's locking the wheel or rotor to the hub. Personally I think it's a lot safer than trying to batter a wheel off a car that's up on a jack.

I use an air-wrench on the lug-nuts, but I always turn down the torque (there are four setings) when putting them on, and use a torque wrench to fully tighten them.

• RMweb Gold

its definatly still there, or was in july anyway!

That's interesting then sounds like it went (a long time ago that is, just after Lego took over the site I think) and subsequently got resuscitated

Indeed. If you were to overdo it, you might be able to sheer the studs.

When I say "drive slowly" I mean slower than walking pace. The trick is to use the huge mass of the vehicle and the enormous amount of friction produced by the brakes to generate enough torque to crack the corrosion that's locking the wheel or rotor to the hub. Personally I think it's a lot safer than trying to batter a wheel off a car that's up on a jack.

I use an air-wrench on the lug-nuts, but I always turn down the torque (there are four setings) when putting them on, and use a torque wrench to fully tighten them.

I use the AA - it's  lot easier on my back and their patrols carry a torque wrench ;)

• Like 6

I use the AA - it's  lot easier on my back and their patrols carry a torque wrench ;)

The other reason I do a lot vehicle maintenance myself is because I don't have too much confidence in "the professionals" (except Jock of course!). I think I already mentioned the time I got my brand-new Volvo XC70 back from it's first service and discovered one of the wheel bolts wasn't even there. There's not too much point worrying about torque settings if you don't put all the expletive bolts in. :)

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think it's a lot safer than trying to batter a wheel off a car that's up on a jack.

I must admit that when the guy lay down at the front of the car and started swinging his leg underneath to kick the wheel off I did think "Rather you than me mate!". (And it was p#ssing down with rain at the time.)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim - somewhat altered from the original.  Seems it was closed before the Safari Park closed but was altered a bit (no nice green coaches lined in gold for a start and changes to the trackwork) before Legoland opened.  So it was closed but not while it was Legoland.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Hopefully those ailing are improving, and those undergoing 'procedures' #cough# are ok.

Had a nice ride on the NYMR today, from Pickering to Whitby and return.  Chish and fips consumed at the Magpie as suggested by Baz, and he's right.....'normous portions, super fresh fish.  Mrs H has declared it the best fish and chips she has ever had.  Of course it peed it down, it always does when we go to Whitby, other than last time when it snowed.  Go early, we went in as it opened at 11.30 due to our early start, by 12 it was full.  Looks like there are no reservations either.

We had 'Wells', Std 4 4-6-0 and Std 4 2-6-0 at various stages of the journey.  There was a U class running too.  4 engines in steam on a wet Monday, not bad!  Cream crackered now, beer needed.  NRM tomorrow, Mrs H must be building up to wanting something!  Oh, shopping in York I should imagine.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

My car is going in for its first service on Wednesday. I shall endeavour tomorrow to make it look a bit tidy. The garage it goes to haven't left anything off my previous vehicle when it was serviced. As well oil and filters I think it gets some software updates for sat nav and Gracenote.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Had to play golf today

Hope your day was considerably more enjoyable than mine....:-)

And there was me thinking that you golf fanatics would enjoy a round in any weather LOL

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately not - she's on a steroid and 3 week antibiotic, after which another CT scan. The Mayo Clinic are also on the ticket so one way or another they'll figure it out, in the mean time she's missing flying. <sigh>

To coin a phrase - You can take a pilot out of the sky, but you can't take the sky out of a pilot

• Like 3