The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Brighter morning. Yesterday's heavy rain miraculously disappeared while I was having the barnet trimmed. No, Jock, all my - limited - strength has not gone the way of the lost locks, and Delilah quite likes the result!

Great to know a couple of Border Collies are feeling wonderful after mum's return. Long may she stay with them.

After a brief delay - due to needing to reassure Alison after another of her misdemeanours, by getting her to ring Sherry's place free from chez moi! - I was off to Cornwall, eventually picking up the Cornish Riviera from Plymouth. It is a bit of a trek from Camborne station to Kernow's shop, but wow was it worth it! As I was paying for my purchases I updated my card details on the till, thus giving my name. Whereupon a staff member suggested I knew the proprietor? Only online! Moments later he appeared and I was given a royal tour of the premises and was offered the chance to inspect some prototypes, including the Gate-stock I have on order. I never cease to be amazed that I am taken seriously by real achievers in our hobby. Lovely!

Regrettably I have a bit of a cold, so am hoping that will quietly disappear in advance of tomorrow. Today we have a number of visitors so early exhaustion is likely. Sherry will sparkle, of course, being the rentacrowd that she is!

Hope midweek is bearable for all.

I wish I'd known you were heading this way - I'd have gone to KMRC to meet you.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Well it works - so far so good.

On our way to Tesco we passed a BT chappie working in the cabinet round the corner and he confirmed he was doing our job.  On return I had a brief chat with him and he said it was finished so I duly promised to return and wring his neck if it didn't work - he seemed to think i was joking but he needn't have worried.  the physical part of set up is very easy, the electronic part of the registration is typically overcomplicated but presumably secure.  I now await my farewell bill from natter scattercr.

Off again to Tesco shortly for the things, various, we either overlooked(2) or didn't know we wanted(1).

• Like 13

HUMP day in Billings, Montana - well, probably NOT as the apartment complex Jemma is in doesn't "do" BINs. They have a central location for trash, and the BINs are rather large skips. Don't think anyone has to move them to the kerbside :jester:

Been busy working the last two days whilst Mrs and Jemma get the stuff we hauled in the truck unpacked and organized. Jemma and her boyfriend Alec seem to have it pretty much together with how they are getting settled. Both rather nervous about the coming weeks.

Alec starts his first trip out of here tomorrow morning at 6AM. Given this is the edge of the mountains he's a little nervous about the flying conditions, heading into winter flying a turbo-prop with a service ceiling of 12,000ft. (unpressurized regional twin-prop) and limit on flying above 10,000 of 30 minutes, makes some of the flying out of here "interesting/adventurous"!). If the regional carrier had opted to buy their fleet pressurized, it'd have a service ceiling of 29,000ft.

Jemma essentially just waiting for her surgery. She'll be driving back to Minnesota in about 2 weeks for that. She's not looking forward to the long drive alone.

Will be working barely 4 hours this morning then starting the drive back to Minnesota. Pick up the rental car, drive to Bismarck, North Dakota for overnight, stopping along the way at a couple of the sights.

Hoping my BR late crest S15 will be arriving about the same time we do, supposedly on its way, express delivery from Hornby :senile:   :)

1C clear and sunny this morning looking out at the foothills and mountains beyond, expecting to be about 12 for the high on the drive, then -1 overnight looks like.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I opted for the Southern Railway black version. It fits my 40s era. Controversy eleswhere about running qualities has clearly caused concerns, and one punter had rung to say his was troublesome - but the next day rang back ecstatic after running the model in! Mine can't see action until I'm back in France, obviously, but Sherry was wowed by the mere sight of the loco in its packaging cradle. And the spaghetti around the air-pump is gorgeous.

I know how much I paid recently for a 4-wheel SNCF railcar with indifferent running qualities in HO. The O2 will seem a positive bargain if it only runs half-decently. I anticipate it will be much better than that. And unlike certain other recent OO releases I will not be damaging the loco installing a decoder, the smokebox door trick being masterful.

I was impressed with the BWT with its removable smoke box door. OK its hard to get a sound decoder in it without stripping it down but I suspect most people will be more than happy with the simple access to fit a 6 pin decoder

Cues for 'ear' jokes.

With heavy demand to see the exhibits they will need a few ' queue ear' signs

• Like 9

We've just had a tram incident here; a yoof in a Mini with three friends went through a red light (yes...) and broadsided a tram. He didn't see a tram. He was breathalysed and has now been arrested for drink driving. Though how much you have to have not to be able to spot a red light and behind it a tram I don't know. The Evening Standard seems to think that where roads cross tram lines there should be 'barriers'. Right. Which bit of the concept 'tram' are they having trouble with?

Lunch was great, nice to catch up. (Seraffino's in Wallington, highly recommended). Now prepping and priming some Stadden figures that arrived this morning. They are little gems, and the lad is as good as his old man.

Off to spray some more.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

We've just had a tram incident here; a yoof in a Mini with three friends went through a red light (yes...) and broadsided a tram. He didn't see a tram. He was breathalysed and has now been arrested for drink driving. Though how much you have to have not to be able to spot a red light and behind it a tram I don't know. The Evening Standard seems to think that where roads cross tram lines there should be 'barriers'. Right. Which bit of the concept 'tram' are they having trouble with?

Lunch was great, nice to catch up. (Seraffino's in Wallington, highly recommended). Now prepping and priming some Stadden figures that arrived this morning. They are little gems, and the lad is as good as his old man.

Off to spray some more.

Beddington Lane by any chance?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A friend had a similar kind of incident some years ago where somebody broadsided his LRV on a level crossing. Quite puzzling indeed how you can overlook something that large…  :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For the technically minded among us:

img_3512ylp2t.jpg

img_3513hmoow.jpg

A spare NGT8 motor bogie which was sat behind my 1122 prior to depot sortie this morning. Note the bogie bolster arrangement, traction motors with attached reduction gear units, and disks for the holding brake units in particular, as well as the wheelset protector beams which are intended to (hopefully) deflect objects or, indeed, human limbs before being run over.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Went on a tram today. No one drove in to it. We walked all the way to the Van Gogh Museum but got the tram back. Aditi and I both said it was because we we tired rather than to experience the tram. Following all Dom's tuition I was looking with much interest at things like track as we wandered about. I was looking at the tracks where two went to one crossing canals and it looks as if they are gantleted rather than one set.

As for the Evening Standard perhaps they should pop over here in Amsterdam and see how trams bicycles cars vans and pedestrians share the same street. However I am not sure what looked like the Dutch equivalent of a stretch limo would go down. Imagine about 10 people pedalling a vehicle, with two operating some steering at the front. I don't think anyone in full possession of critical faculties was on the device.

Tony

• Like 10

Evening all. What a great set of images TG. Always enjoy seeing the images you post. Hopefully I may get to post one or two tomorrow as plans are afoot to escape the family for a day on the Severn Valley Railway. I won't get too excited yet as the planned summer jaunt was scuppered by an ill cat. Today Amber is struggling with a nasty cough and cold. We ended up cutting short a planned visit to the shopping outlet at the M1 / A38 junction. Mind you we did not cut it short before the girls managed to part me from some cash for new clothes, and then talked me into a new jacket that I probably did not really need. After yesterday's Christmas shopping trip the finances have taken a bit of a hit! I had better not spend too much tomorrow, or at the Burton show this weekend!

Had a text from the boss today. Professional issue sorted at long last!

Enjoy your evening.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Went on a tram today. No one drove in to it. We walked all the way to the Van Gogh Museum but got the tram back. Aditi and I both said it was because we we tired rather than to experience the tram. Following all Dom's tuition I was looking with much interest at things like track as we wandered about. I was looking at the tracks where two went to one crossing canals and it looks as if they are gantleted rather than one set.

As for the Evening Standard perhaps they should pop over here in Amsterdam and see how trams bicycles cars vans and pedestrians share the same street. However I am not sure what looked like the Dutch equivalent of a stretch limo would go down. Imagine about 10 people pedalling a vehicle, with two operating some steering at the front. I don't think anyone in full possession of critical faculties was on the device.

Tony

I think I might know the place you describe, Tony! It sounds like Utrechtsestraat around Prinsengracht. Did you notice the guard booths on the Combinos as well?

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Wow, busy day.

Another helping of supportive good wishes for the unwell, and the about to be welded.  Everyone else too, I suppose!

Jock, I wish  could report the same childhood support from parents and teachers, but my father was absent for large periods of time (Navy) and the 'good' school I went to was sadly lacking in supportive teaching methods - big on bullying and deep sarcasm though.  There was a handful of inspirational and skilled teaches, but they were very much in the minority.  I see the school is now judged as exceptional by ofsted. Hopefully it is a genuinely earned rating, it would have rated Victorian or Dickensian in my time.

• RMweb Gold

I think I might know the place you describe, Tony! It sounds like Utrechtsestraat around Prinsengracht. Did you notice the guard booths on the Combinos as well?

Yes as to where we were. Didn't notice guards compartments! I will look! We arrived at the tram stop just as the tram arrived. Other tourists were not getting on as they were not sure if they could pay cash. I was asked if knew so I said I was going to try and everyone followed me. Yes you can but if you are doing more than one trip there are more economic methods.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully it is a genuinely earned rating, it would have rated Victorian or Dickensian in my time.

That probably equates to an Ofsted 'Outstanding'!

to celebrate the fact that my daughter bought me a coffee this morning, I've spent more of the Children's inheritance today, in the form of a Bose speaker system.

What is even more impressive is that I managed to set it up to use bluetooth.............Normally anything that involves a breath of IT and uploading/downloading is an unmitigated disaster:  Not this time.

I got home after my spending spree to find a small package from GW Models on the hall floor:  The new loco works (when it opens) is going to be far more productive than the old one.

Then I got an email from my mother, who might have got the wrong end (slightly) about a conversation about pre ordering and purchasing locos.  This has resulted in a rather generous Christmas present.............I was quoting the total price, she thought it was for each loco, so I got twice as much as discussed!

To save her any embarrassment, I'm keeping quiet about it....except here!!

• Like 17