The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning (again) from Estuary-Land. Sunny but blustery and predicted to last for the whole day. I have Windows 10 as it came with my new computer, one thing it doesn't have is spell check so expect a few smelling pistakes from now on. Glad to hear that the 'friend of a friend' of Ian's has made it, apparently as of last night there are still a few people unaccounted for. Commiserations and congratulations where neccessary, have a good day all.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

This really hasn't been a good weekend for France, what with the atrocity in Paris and now the TGV derailment as well. I certainly send a large round of sympathies and positive thoughts to our Western neighbours…

If you need something rail related to read and perhaps to help you take your mind of anything weighing you down on this (here at least) very autumnal and blustery afternoon, guys: A Local Breed: NGT6 "Leoliner" in Focus

Edited by 1216 025

• RMweb Gold

Now I know full well that the Paris atrocity is important and has far-reaching implications, not all of which have yet emerged, but am I alone in my view that a sense of proportion is needed at times like this?  In concentrating on just one story the BBC is in my view doing so because it can, not because it should.  

I share your sentiments on this Chris.

The problem is that they are not delivering news.  It is an endless regurgitation of what has been reported. with sound bites from politicians, whose policies in successive governments, are responsible for the whole damn mess. They talk tough,  but are gutless bar stewards have neither the moral fibre or the backbone to take the  hard action the vast majority of the electorate want to see happen.  Then there is seemingly 'expert' opinion,  and endless speculation.

I sometimes feel that they (and the BBC are not alone in this) like to wallow in the grief and misery that such tragedies create, and go out of their way to interview traumatised survivors or the families and friends.of those killed or seriously injured.

So  I expect them to give me fact, and then move on.  Update me when there is more to report, but I am intelligent enough only to require the update not a 20 minute recap!

Edited by Happy Hippo

The Molenbeek area of Brussels is the main area where immigrants live. It is according to my wife (a Belgian national) predominantly other nationals area. Pretty much the same as areas of other large cities around the World that are composed of immigrants. Probably safest place in Brussels at the moment to eat and drink if you remember the saying about bears and pooh.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 8

Hopefully those around Cumbria and Lancashire are safe and prepared.

Have a good day everyone

I hope so too! Last night was a bit of a disaster, as rain started to come into our bedroom. This has happened before and is caused by a problem with the grouting of the block wall. I have regrouted parts of it before, but will need to do some more now. We collected about half a pint of water on the windowledge overnight. In a rare break in the rain, I have been up the ladder this morning, and put a bit of mastic in what I think/hope is the problem area. So far so good as no more water has come in. Weather permitting tomorrow, I will have a go at fixing the grouting properly. With the sound of water dripping all night, and a stiff & sore back, I did not get a good nights sleep, so I foresee a nap on the couch this afternoon. Edited by Simon G

Afternoon all. Just got off the phone with a call from our son in New Zealand wishing me a happy birthday. I was so pleased to hear him again, I think the last time we spoke was the same date last year. Emails are fine for keeping in touch but you can't beat hearing a voice. They have been in NZ for four years now and his Lancashire accent is still strong though our granddaughter has picked up the end a sentence by going upwards kind of speech. Can't just think of the right way of putting it but I'm sure we have all heard what I mean.  He told me that a big agricultural products producer over there has placed all its transport onto the railway instead of trucking, so good news for him as he is a driver for Kiwirail. They have a quiet winter season and busy Spring and Summer seasons and export most of their production. Hope you all have a great day and stay safe all.

• Like 18

Afternoon all. Just got off the phone with a call from our son in New Zealand wishing me a happy birthday. I was so pleased to hear him again, I think the last time we spoke was the same date last year. Emails are fine for keeping in touch but you can't beat hearing a voice. They have been in NZ for four years now and his Lancashire accent is still strong though our granddaughter has picked up the end a sentence by going upwards kind of speech. Can't just think of the right way of putting it but I'm sure we have all heard what I mean.  He told me that a big agricultural products producer over there has placed all its transport onto the railway instead of trucking, so good news for him as he is a driver for Kiwirail. They have a quiet winter season and busy Spring and Summer seasons and export most of their production. Hope you all have a great day and stay safe all.

Happy birthday, Geoff.

I believe that form of speech is known as a "high rising terminal". 

Andy

• Like 6

Morning all,

Jock, thanks for thinking about laddo (who is actually 28 years old), he has just called from Ghent/Gand St Pieters aboard the train to Bruxelles/Brussel Midi/Zud (everything in Belgium seems to be so good they named it twice) and they have a couple of hours in Brussels for the connection - I have duly instructed him to steer clear of certain parts of that area but at least he had an early night (01.00 to bed) unlike some of his mates who spent a further 4 hours testing local ales; I shall have to find out if they went to the gin bar, an absolutely excellent little place that serves only gin although it comes in more varieties than Heinz lay claim to.

Blowing a bit here but minimal rain showers, so far; pasties for dinner tonight so all's well in our little bit of the world.  A terrible day for France yesterday and equally stupid that some twit on RMweb  managed to utterly and seemingly blindly ruin both the thread about the terror attacks and the one about the TGV derailment - that takes some doing,

Have a good day one & all 

....'TGV derails' is still there Mike....it was the duplicate TGV thread which was locked.

Dave

Tony, thanks for the tips on insulation. I've ordered up some of the insulation and tape. The Am@zon price was a tad better than Screwf£x. 

Hopefully it'll finish off the garage re-fit so that I can get out there during winter. That's code for "avoid" a dance program. ;)

I have to confess when I met Warren Mitchell  around 1982, I had no idea who he was.  I was working on a pop-up stall for the local regatta selling raffle tickets, t-shirts, programmes etc to help fund the scouts. 

I was so intent on selling something to every person it was quite a blur a lot of the time. All I was aware of was a well-spoken, middle-aged chap in a pink shirt passing by in a small group. No-one just "passed by", so I leapt into action asked if he'd had a nice lunch and flogged some tickets whilst my fellow stall holders stood back, mouths agape.

"Do you know who that was?"

"Nope, he gave his mate's number for the raffle ticket Why?."

"It was Warren Mitchell". 

"?"

"Alf Garnett"

"Oh. Mum and dad don't let me watch that."   

RIP, Mr Mitchell, and thanks for the donation to our scout group. :) 

All the best. Andy

• Like 19

I always wondered the same Jock. I understood the right wing connection with his racism but an East End, working class football fan supporting the Tories? It just seemed wrong.

Hard right wing east enders have been a long tradition. Not all but a significant group. I had a Great Aunt (RIP) - don’t call her a Cockney, they were severely limited in area - who was a member of the B.U.F - I think they were HQ’d near Whitechapel.

Edit: When I started work (and it was my first and last real job too before joining the music business, my Mum used to say that I never “worked”) I went to my Grandfather’s company which was a wholesale fruit a veg place in Spitalfields Market. All the Porters there were 100% unionized - they were also to a man slightly to the right wing of Genghis Khan.

It’s pretty complex, as an example there was what we called back then a tramp who hung out around the place (which covered several acres) he was a nuisance to the Porters because he would lift stuff off their delivery barrows (taken to parked trucks of retailers). Unfortunately the poor man died when asleep in the gutter in Hanbury Street and a delivery truck ran him over and parked on top of the remains - the driver was completely unaware.

The Porters then got together a whip round, paid for a decent funeral and then took the time off en masse to attend it. They may have found him very annoying but he was “their” annoyance.

Warren Mitchell was acting and very well too.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Back from The Tolworth show and very enjoyable it was too. Just for once I didn't spend anything  much.

I have also discovered that contrary to what I said in my earlier post my daughter went on a 5k run!

If this is in fact true that does mean that pigs must be able to fly, hens have teeth and rocking horses cr#p.

Now going to sit quietly in the corner to try and get over the shock of this latest news. :banghead:

• Like 1

Just had some fun and games.  Jackie wanted a bedroom TV mounted on the wall.  No problem said I and the bracket was duly ordered.  It wasn't until I came to fit it, did I realise there were no timber strips in the cavity wall to fix the bracket to in the place she wanted it.  Work stopped and a trawl through the web brought up these.  Apparently they were invented by a young lad and his grandad in their garden shed and then picked up on Dragons Den by Deborah Meaden.

Ideal to hanging TV's or radiators onto bare plasterboard.

Clever stuff!  They did the job really well and I am impressed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgrX236-4UY

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Happy Birthday Geoff - seems like no time at all since we were saying that the last time.

I've been absent most of the week, as my online mojo was missing, and really still is - but I felt guilty at not popping in to say hello on this beautiful sunny rainy windy, carpy Sunday.

Not a great deal has been happening chez 45156.

Best I can do is generic greetings, as I'm about 15 pages behind.  Sorry.

Regards to All

Stewart

Sandy back from quilting course.

Chickens have come home to roost as I blithely said that I'd frame what she makes. now I have to go buy clamps, mitre box, hardwood, board, acrylic and all the other stuff that makes a picture frame.

And then make the thing.

And that's the first of (probably) many.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

According to Paris Match there are children involved in the train derailment near Strasbourg on Friday.

I thought they had said it was a test train.

It was a test train - clearly written on the side in big friendly letters.   The children - I any were involved - could well have been on the ground where it landed or I suppose they might have been onboard with members of the test team or hangers on who were along for the ride.  A good few years ago on a 'test train' (not on SNCF) which I travelled on children were visiting the front cab in relays - about half a dozen at a time, and everyone of them wanted to sound the horn of course. 

Happy birthday Geoff

• Like 2

It was a test train - clearly written on the side in big friendly letters. The children - I any were involved - could well have been on the ground where it landed

Sorry SM I disagree, the news reports clearly say children were ON it.

Edited by lightengine

Sandy back from quilting course.

Chickens have come home to roost as I blithely said that I'd frame what she makes. now I have to go buy clamps, mitre box, hardwood, board, acrylic and all the other stuff that makes a picture frame.

And then make the thing.

And that's the first of (probably) many.

Think I've just become a Yorkshireman.

Been looking at the prices of the stuff I need - and the wood - the Yorkshireman bit is:

'OW MUCH?!!

• Like 2

Think I've just become a Yorkshireman.

Been looking at the prices of the stuff I need - and the wood - the Yorkshireman bit is:

'OW MUCH?!!

Just wait till she tells you she has to have a 8 foot wide quilting machine with a long arm, stitch regulated sewing machine. You can buy a pretty good car for that sort of money.