RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, woken early by fighting cats they are now sat outside looking in. As they are sisters growing towards their final size it is inevitable that they will sort out who is top cat. A Happy anniversary Jock but don't do too much..... Don sorry to hear about your Uncle as usual an apt phrase eludes me. Have the best day you can.

• Like 10

My TV is only the second that I have owned since 1985 and still has a cathode ray tube, how quaint.  It tends to have a colour cast which disappears after a while or after I thump the set.

Given that the problem can be cured by percussive maintenance, it may be just down to dirt on the tubes LT connector.  However, it could also be due to a capacitor going bad (they tend to be affected by heat over time), or the tube could be on the way out (although this is the least likely scenario).

It pains me to say this, but to be perfectly honest, CRT televisions just aren't worth repairing these days - spares are getting hard to get hold of, and once things start going home, they usually continue.

However, don't expect a new TV to last anywhere near as long!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, woken early by fighting cats they are now sat outside looking in. As they are sisters growing towards their final size it is inevitable that they will sort out who is top cat. 

Oh yeah, ours (also sisters) do that, too. I'm not sure whether either one really has been able to establish herself as the boss, though! In any case, Frida is more into wooing you into giving her what she (presumably) wants, while Kiki can be fairly pushy.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

From a dreich Lancasterm where it's just starting to get light, and I've been up for over an hour now, as 30747 has had to change her work days, so I'm on early morning tea, packed lunch, and doggy duty.  A better night's sleep was forthcoming, now the frame of the bed base has been fettled, and doesn't provide any random noises (no jokes here, please).

Happy anniversary Jock and Joanna. 

Jock, you're sticking your head above the parapet in a few areas starting a debate on Stanier designs in ERs - not least because Debs is around.  For me, the Jube looked the part, like a bigger Black 5 and having stormed along the WCML a couple of years ago behind Galatea, the perfomance went up a lot in my estimation.  Alex (Hunter) McNair (my late uncle and authority on all things LMS and Caledonian) would have agreed about the Princess, though for sheer brute strength, he favoured the Duchesses.  He was a senior railwayman of the old school, whose knowledge and experiences would have filled several books, but sadly that never happened.  I also agree about the usefulness of the Caley types brought in on the G&SW, which around Kilmarnock seemed to turn up on just about anything local, branch line passenger, and goods.  They also did some good work at Ayr where there were a couple of coal branches which couldn't take a Black 5 or a Crab, and still used these (by now) antiques.  The late Derek Cross used to photograph these - at Annbank was one of his favourites. 

Sorry Debs, I'll get off trains now on this railway related site.

Condolences to Don (sorry, missed that one yesterday).

I think that Jock's late night post has covered just about eveything else.  So generic greetings to everybody else.

Chris F - I have BT Broadband, and also the basic version of BT TV, which costs a fiver a month, and which gives a catch up TV service, and also a Humax set top box which pauses, and records live TV.  If it goes wrong, they send a new box out. 

Off now to see what else is going on around here, then my diabetic review.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The three sisters are very different cats Ember is the smallest and daftest but is feared by her bigger sisters because she hasn't a clue about status so a tap and a hiss is likely to trigger war or complete surrender depending on how much she wants to sleep. Willow is the strongest cat but Lunar is bigger and still growing. Clyde is the old man cat and he gives them all a wide berth!

• Like 11

Happy Anniversary Jock and Joanna. Hope you have a good day.

Still sounds very windy here, but I shall be venturing out in about an hour. A visit to Mum's to make sure all is well and then, if the legs are up to it, a little way past my bus stop to get back is a little shop called 'Rails' - I wonder what they might sell?

And remember, do unto others as they would do unto you, but do it first  :angel:

• Like 11

Boing!

Morning all. Quiet so far today. Chippy tea thoroughly enjoyed last night, although we passed what must the least subtle drugs deal on the way home- behatted youth shuffles across the road the a parked car, hand through the window then scuttles back the way he came, passing us but very pointedly not looking at us. Clearly not big time as they were driving a Yaris. Probably his Mum's, to look at him.

Happy Anniversary to Jock and his good lady!

On a less happy note, condolences to Don of course.

NHN, the Hunslet has come out of hibernation I see... it's always welcome to visit a railway of the correct gauge if you are ever passing!

Time to go and bodge the test rig some more now, my machining job was finished yesterday so time to carry on putting it back together. Apparently there's no Haynes book of Lies or equivalent ("assembly is the opposite of disassembly") and I have to rely on my memory; we may be some time...

Have a good one all.  

• Like 12

Morning all.

Happy anniversary, and hopes for a better day, Jock (& Joanna) and condolences to Don. Jock - my mother was only a few months old when Hans Oscar dies, and she always told me that he had succumbed to the effects of a gassing in 1918. So I suspect my grandmother never told her the truth. What is sad is that a huge family trove of trawlerman's art was lost in WW2 when their house was bombed. Carved captive wooden balls and that sort of thing, and sweaters knitted from string...

Bright here, but not very bright, and I woke with a blinder of a headache. No idea why, I've been teetotal for three weeks!

Shopping today, and then preparing for the constituency dinner this evening. Some problems over the guest speaker to sort out. Also a Ratio four-wheeler to sort out. I bought two from ebay, one is old, nicely made, no flash (and with sixties paperwork) - the other - well, not really a great moulding and required carving away huge lumps of flash. I'm amazed they still sell them...

Have a good day, all.

Morning all, and it's an overcast one here.

Condolences to Don and Anniversary Greetings to Jock and Joanne. 

Not much to report apart from the cough and cold has successfully transferred to Mrs B. 

The slow-motion car crash continues; the light at the end of the tunnel may well have been brake lights of those in front.  

As "she" has flitted in and out, the coast may be clear to mention that I've been doing some work on my layout. This may continue on Saturday afternoon as the b'day girl's party will fill the house with her mates. I shall adjourn to the garage. 

Dom, always nice to see your photos - so good that you've transitioned to a new career. And, may I say, it always looks very pleasant the areas you get to drive round. 

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 15

Morning all from the confines of the boring borough of bleh.

Jock, many congratulations to you and Joanna. May you both have many more.

Condolences to Don.

Dick, my maternal grandfather was gassed on board his ship in 1918. He managed to survive although in rather poor health until 1930. He passed away on mum's 7th birthday. I never met any of my grandparents. The last one passed 3 months before I was born.

A good evening was had with Mr and Mrs Roundhouse. Marred only by me turning my ankle en route there. Didn't think much of it at the time as I'm always doing it. However I managed to hit the edge of the curb with my bad knee. Was a bit sore and stiff as usual so carried on. However walking back to London Bridge afterwards, both my knee and ankle decided to go out on strike. Missed my train as a result by seconds. This morning my foot is a rather fetching shade of purple and my knee is quite swollen and not very happy. Good thing I was scheduled to work from home for the rest of the week.

Now suffering from lackus caffeineum. have a great day all.

• RMweb Premium

Happy Anniversary Jock.  May there be more in sufficient quantity to enjoy.

I recall Boddies was a half-decent brew but has gone downhill.  It doesn't stand up against the likes of Doom Bar (which is reasonably widely available) or Tribute (which isn't as widely found outside the south-west) nor HSD.  officially that's Hick's Special Draught but the locals all know it as High Speed Death.  A pint or two over an evening is ample; at 5.0% it's not an ale to be rushed for fear of its reputation and nickname overtaking you!

Finished the last of the lattice-work to the cat run today.  95% was done in the big effort a couple of weeks back.  Today saw the awkward corners made cat-proof and a length of lattice fence-topper fitted in a very awkward and inaccessible corner of the orchard to replace an older and unserviceable length damaged by the natural growth of one of our fig trees.

Tomorrow should see the first quotes arrive for the renovation of no.1 bathroom and shower (to become a single room) which won't be cheap but can't be put off much longer.  We have a second set of facilities on the en-suite guest bedroom therefore we can still go about our daily routines freshly laundered and pressed ;).  The work may require temporary closure of an adjacent railway line as we need to replace or brick up the shower window which will require outside work to be done in the modelling area.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 17

The Rookhope incline is a reet booger on a pushbike....Have you had a cuppa in the old Parkhead station cafe?

I couldn't even begin to think of pedalling up that Rookhope slope :O

But yes the Parkhead Station cafe is a wonderful refuge.

My Oxford 15 year old grandson when he comes to stay always wants to bike up to it from Waskerley and whistle back down with the wind behind us. Strange how he is gripped by those moors and old mines compared to the Wall country and even the Coast!

Happy Anniversary Jock.

Stanier aesthetics:

the above grandson's dad is into cars, but when he was 11, just back in UK after our years abroad he kindly humoured his dad by asking my help in buying a S/H loco (in an excellent long gone family owned model shop in Newcastle alongside Marlboro Cres bus station).

He came out with a Black 5 (which still runs well). Coleman's well balanced draughtmanship is hard to beat to my eye.

(mind you, that son built a Bullied Q1 from a kit while in Ghana - and painted it all over Malachite Green!)

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning, and may it be a good one for Jock & Joanna, and hopefully no more sad news from around the digital friendship group that is ER's.  It would be nice to see Debs again.....

Matt, the 16" was dragged out of the foot of dust in the loft as Tony Wright was asking for folk to post photos of earlier efforts.  It has been met with almost complete silence.....ah well.  I really must try to get it sorted out one day, it was damaged in an accident when I got T-boned by 'joy' riders just after completing it, the box went flying and it has a distinct list now!  A little (ahem) tweak to the chassis, which is rather flimsy for my liking, may sort it - have to get brave though!  The (resin cast) tank and smokebox were torn off and the cab roof damaged too, I haven't ever really tried to repair it properly as the prospect of an O gauge layout disappeared shortly afterwards due to the loss of club premises.

The seaweed observers had led me to believe today would be OK for a ride out but....wet.  Damn.  I should have gone out yesterday when it was at least dry, if rather cold and windy. 

edit.... before it goes into hibernation for another 10 years!

post-10195-0-71319000-1454578555_thumb.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Condolences to Don and happy anniversary to Jock and Joanne. By the way Jock the website came up trumps and I found the contact details of the CEO of Atlas editions thank you. Robert, you mentioned that you like tea, can you get leaf tea in Germany? As I mentioned I treated myself to one of those filter teapots at Christmas and since then I have never had tea taste as good. A good comparison is like tasting real ale after years of drinking frothy keg beer. I'm sticking to 'real tea' from now on, I've also noticed that not using tea bags you get no greasy scum around the cup/mug and other utensils. I've been trying various brands of leaf tea, the best so far IMHO is Marks & Spencers English Breakfast but there are still others to try. Thats all for now, be back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Phil, we also have a filter teapot. You can get leaf tea from various sources, with my favourites at this time being Earl Grey and East Frisian blend! 

(Hope you don't mind probably having beaten you in replying, Robert!)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Congratulations to Joanna and Jock.

Cloudy here, but it didn't seem too cold. I haven't exactly left the house though, back door opened for Robbie and front door to sign for recorded delivery. Looks like a certificate for Matthew. I have sent a message via WhatsApp to ask if I should open it to check for errors, especially as the university in question addressed a number of students as " Dear Kung Fu Panda " in their offer letters.

I am helping to tidy Aditi's study today. Once upon a time it was my railway room but I think it is unlikely to be so again! I will just fill bags and shred as instructed and most definitely not display any initiative in case what looks like rubbish isn't!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy anniversary Jock & Joanna - hope the day goes well for you.  Condolences Don.

Now mention of 'Stanier aesthetics' will of course get the obvious response from me as I know full well where he learnt his trade - so it's hardly surprising that his 3 cylinder engine (the 'Jubilee') didn't work too well but obviously his 2 cylinder and 4 cylinder jobs were bound to be a great success - drawing on well learned principles from his former employer.

Lots of catching up to do on here but in thh meanwhile the good Doctor has sallied forth to the big city (Reading - it likes to think of itself as 'a city') for her Driving Theory Test so fingers are crossed for her.

Have a  good day one & all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Happy anniversary Joanna and Jock.

Good luck for your interview tomorrow ID. (It is tomorrow isn't it?)

The rest of you will just have to be content with a generic Good Morning.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Jock wrote:

'Dick, that was a moving and thought provoking tale from WW1. It raises the question, in view of the medical knowledge of the day - how often did it happen? Joanna and I often visited 'Terlincthun Cemetery' just South of Boulogne and noted that a large number of the interred had been laid to rest a considerable time after the end of WW1. This is explained by its proximity to a massive field hospital, but to be taken from your family nine years later, presumably being slowly poisoned by the metal content of the shrapnel, is tough!'

Many years ago I spent time at the military rehab centre at Chessington.  in those days Headley Court was the preserve of Officers, Warrant Officers and SNCOs.  Not only did Chessington have military personnel from all three services in recovery/rehab, but also civilians whom required treatment the NHS was unable to offer.

Some of the people there were as a result of explosions in NI, and were suffering from the effects of blast, and of course shrapnel.

The problem with shrapnel, especially from an IED packed with rusty nails, is infection.  Not so much from the iron oxide,but the fact that in at least one case, they medics reckoned the metal had also been coated in excrement!  so it was important to try and get the stuff out.  Of course that is the exception, but when a projectile enters the body it also carries in dust dirt fragments of clothing.............you get the picture.  If you get a 'through and through' they tried to keep the wound 'open' to allow it to heal.  Covering it up was bound to lead to infection. 

However, a lot of the smaller bits are just impossible to find, or are too difficult to get out without causing further injury. So they get left in.

Of course they do not stay still in the body, as it tried to reject them so they move around, usually toward the surface of the skin, where they can be moved at a later date.  In my particular case, metal work (put in surgically) had to be removed 3 year later as it had moved sufficiently to be sticking through the skin!

Back in WWI stuff that would today be removed, had to be left as there was not the medical expertise to remove it.

Many people died as a result of such wounds as  lumps of metal trapped in the body simply moved around and punctured lungs, arteries, or even the heart.

As far as the vast amount of CWGC graves in northern France that post date WWi, they are attributed mainly (but not exclusively) to the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-19.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Happy Hippo

In 1918 shrapnel was, of course, a shell packed with lead balls, or shrapnel bullets - here are some I picked up at Ypres.

post-17799-0-15783700-1454586830.jpg

Named after Major-General Henry Shrapnel, who invented the Shrapnel shell.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all,

The Boss is not at work so that's why I'm late! Every time I almost catch up on here I get summoned to do something else. The most annoying thing being another visit to Sainsbury's because  "we" forgot to get several things yesterday. Not sure how it's "we" who are to blame as "she" writes out the list and keeps it close to her chest at all times!

Anyway a Very Happy Anniversary to Jock and Joanna and hope you have a great day.

There has been mention of the Alton show earlier by Andy, Mike and Duncan. Unfortunately I won't be going as we're having a "bit of a do" here Friday night with lots of neighbours and friends. This will - knowing the people who are coming - go on until the early hours of Saturday and I suspect alcohol will be involved. :yes: This means that driving on Saturday morning would be inadvisable and probably illegal so I'll have to give it a miss. I did think about coming by train but 6 Nations Rugby starts Saturday and I couldn't possibly miss that either!  Can't do Sunday as we have other visitors then.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Boing!

After a year and a bit on placement of doing nothing but paperwork, today I have been paid to hit something hard with a hammer and very satisfying it was too. Admittedly it would have been preferable if the (fairly expensive) bit of machine guarding had been specified correctly and didn't need the services of the precision adjuster but it's still been a good morning (not) in the office.

NHN, the joyrider altercation clearly dates that back to your time in Geordieland- I can't imagine there's much vehicle theft on Fraggle. The one I had was all plastic- presumably a later one. Ironically I sold it to Dave and he built it for BT&S! He's kept it as it's well suited to the colliery line he's building now. Yours doesn't look to have suffered too badly all things considered. Bit of a conundrum as to keep it "as is" as a bit of history or rebuild and detail it to what you'd do now I suppose. I guess the lack of anywhere to run it answers the question; it's a shame the L&L isn't sewage works gauge really!

I'm not fussy about my tea, teabags are just fine- same applies to coffee, my inherent laziness means instant is just fine. A friend has one of the Dolce Gusto capsule type machines and I do rather like that as a special treat, might acquire one myself at some point (when I've build the rest of the kitchen probably!) We do have a spare kettle in case of emergencies though...

And there ends lunchtime- have a good afternoon folks.

• Like 14