The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Impenetrable educational aims is a particular hobby-horse of mine. Having brought up my own two kids, now in their late 20's, followed by several generations of child-minded and fostered children, I have serially failed to get on the same page as their teachers.

Now that we are looking after my grand niece Leah I am determined to get on top of this, given that I have more time to devote.

Could any teachers on here comment as to whether this is deliberate obfuscation, or not?

Whilst it is important to effect the verbalization of concepts through the utilization of unsophisticated terminology it is equally essential that the teaching and learning objectives and outcomes are not compromised by terminological inexactitudes.

Well I am a teacher and I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Perhaps that would mean I am no good at my job. Certainly one parent will probably agree judging by the email I received to my school account earlier this evening. Mind you considering the number of spelling mistakes littering the email perhaps the problem lies elsewhere. I am not sure it would be appropriate to share the contents of the email, although if I remove all name references I may be ok. You would be shocked at how bad it is.

The journey to work was find this morning. I took a second alternative route and this proved five minutes quicker than yesterday. However I tried the same route on the way home and traffic was extremely heavy. I won't make that mistake again!

Well, Good Evening all,

Apologies for the late muster but something called lateforwork got in the way!

Relatively unscathed after another day at the two coal faces which I inhabit!

Coffee drunk, suppose I'd better work out what the plan is for the day. Have a good one all!   

I'm curious as to how much alcohol it took to make the coffee drunk!

Best wises to (and thoughts with) all the ailing and distressed

Night all!

• Like 12

Evening all.  I'm still not quite over my "post St Albans blues", and really haven't caught up with ERs.  I had a dental appointment, yesterday and my dentist commented 'hmm, glands up a bit'.

Then this morning, I broke my bifocals.  So off to the opticians, not worth repairing, and a new pair ordered.  The thing is, I started my CFR training again and I really need bifocals otherwise I'm changing my glasses whilst treating a patient.

Busy fettling Höchstädt for the Tonbridge show on 20 Feb.

Bill

My brother tells me that he once grumbled to an elderly uncle of ours about the cost of funerals; after all, he said, all they did was plant your body in a hole or burn it, so why should you have to pay thousands for all the ritual? "Ach," said Uncle Tam, "you young yins aye want something for nothing!"

I offered that, should he die first, I'd emulate the musician Gram Parsons' friend Phil Kaufman (when Parsons died, Kaufman honoured a pact they'd made, stealing his body from the funeral parlour and taking it out to the desert to burn it). I would cremate him somewhere out in the Peak District. He said OK, if I promised to scatter the ashes at Culloden.

As Liz was fourteen years younger than me, she assumed that she would have to take care of me in my old age, and intended to take early retirement from teaching, possibly working part-time as an adviser on special needs in education. It was a shock when she died, suddenly, from heart failure at the age of fifty-one. She had avoided discussion of funerals - mine or hers - but as she was a strong atheist I decided on a secular celebration of her life. I received excellent support from the Sheffield Co-op Funeral service, who put me in touch with a Humanist celebrant. The head teacher at Liz's school, a committed Christian, gave me generous support and valuable advice in dealing with the Rotherham education authority, Teacher's Pensions, etc and closed the school for the day so that all the school staff could attend the celebration, where she delivered a well-received tribute. Our celebrant, as I had requested, showed due respect for the beliefs of the religious among the gathering. 

A few weeks later, I scattered Liz's ashes on common land near the cliffs above Robin Hood's Bay, a place where she had often said she'd like to live. I imagined her looking down (I'm sure that God has a soft spot for honest atheists) and saying: "Well, you did your best..."

Edit: corrected typo.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having a G & T before bed, waiting for the cat to come in. Hopefully he's gone for a short run out rather than one of his more thorough inspections of the neighbourhood. Sometimes I give up waiting, go to bed and get up about 1am to let him in. Then he complains that he had to wait. He's currently sitting on the shed roof.

I have to go to High Wycombe on some legal business tomorrow. First trip on the Chiltern Line for about 7 years.

Time for bed soon, 'night all.

Pete

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Three games of indoor cricket successfully umpired tonight. No problems in my games.

Her indoors has been unwell but expects to return to teaching tomorrow.

My funeral tunes include oh I do like to be beside the seaside.....essential listening as I want it all to be funny not hard work.

Baz

P's more positive waves required, ERs must try harder!

• Like 16

Morning all,

Our thanks go to everyone for the kind and supportive comments and suggestions, all of which have been added to the discussion agenda. Joanna has related a few comments to the 'kids' this evening and like her, they were very touched indeed. I'm pleased to say we've had a positive response from everyone today! I'm also delighted to receive such good advice, and to have so many pit-falls pointed out.

Rick, I'm not certain that anything I said would merit an Oscar, but as usual your posts today carried a great deal of sense!

Baz and Mike(SM), I have first hand experience of the humanist funeral approach, as it what was decided on for Jock Senior's event. This was arranged at the crematorium in Harlow where he had lived many years, moving us there as a family from Scotland. I have been at some where a local 'jobsworth humanist' has been supplied, and try to take control. I was elected by the rest of the family, to write and present the eulogy, as well as supply the music list as dad and I had very closely matched tastes! The lady humanist from Harlow council was superb, acceding to my wishes that we met to discuss our roles, and she was happy to let me take the lead on the day. She pointed out that speaking in such circumstances can sometimes be very difficult, so she kindly copied my full speech and took the trouble to learn it herself, standing by my elbow throughout in a position to prompt or take over if I choked! This really helped to get me through it all. We do have a superb humanist locally who is known to us, although I intend to let the family decide how much of his input will be needed, and I will advise that this matter is discussed beforehand.

Sherry, I'm not sure we'd be allowed to use cardboard now, but I know where there is enough unused 'baseboard' ply to cobble something up from. Thanks as ever for the kind comments.

Dave(r-a-r), your post did amuse me, but it also reminded me of how lucky I have been to have such loving, caring parents who allowed me (with a great deal of their input both financial and intellectual) to do things that many only dream of - so no regrets!

Simon, the problem that you and your friend have come across with your good ladies is not uncommon, but not very helpful for either party. If it gets difficult to bear, the MacMillan people have some very experienced people who can help a great deal, so long as you can get the ladies to agree to a discussion. I believe that contact by either you or your friend in the first instance would even elicit advice on the best way to approach the problem. Good luck to both of you!

Health hasn't been brilliant again today, but that subject is boring me now - I see the oncologist on Friday morning to hopefully clarify things.

Wishing you all a safe negotiation of the 'hump' for the rest of its duration - another week slipping by at speed!

Continued improvement in health to those who need it,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• Like 3

No sign of Trisonic yet. . . . . 

I must really try to go to bed earlier. . 

I don't think this page has been morbid. . . . just pragmatic . . .we might not like it but it's going to happen . . . just. . . not yet. . . 

My songs will be "Whio Knows Where The Time Goes, by Fairport Convention . . .Sandy Denny at her finest. . . . and Monty Python's Galaxy Song.

Poetry? No decision yet made.

Goodnight Everyone . . . .Sleep well.

John

• Like 5

I got gas at the local gas station today at $1 per litre. I know that's way below UK petrol prices, but it's been many moons since it's been so cheap here. It's been just over $1.50 in fairly recent memory. Greater Vancouver usually has the most expensive gas of any major city in Canada.

• Like 3

I got gas at the local gas station today at $1 per litre. I know that's way below UK petrol prices, but it's been many moons since it's been so cheap here. It's been just over $1.50 in fairly recent memory. Greater Vancouver usually has the most expensive gas of any major city in Canada.

$1.70 here, per gallon. Diesel is about the same :)

Morning all. Definitely chilly outside this morning.

A lot of pragmatic and thought provoking posts in the last 24 hours.

A nice easy day planned work wise so the chances are that it will go horribly wrong.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 10

I chose Thomas' 'Do not go gentle..........' to recite at both my father's funeral, and that of my old ex tin miner friend (and second dad while I lived in Cornwall) neighbour. It's on the short list for me as well!

G'night again,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Good choice.

• Like 2