The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Apparently I've been doing it wrong for years.

Saw a new doc yesterday, the old one's retiring (lucky burger, he's younger then me!) and apparently I should have been taking my blood pressure tablets in the morning larger then in the evening. The other one said it didn't matter.

Requires a change of memory patterns - and setting alarms on the phone to cope.

But now, back to marking!

• RMweb Gold

Matthew's plane was shown as having departed. When I looked recently Flightstats only showed it halfway up Portugal. Somewhere it gained a 100 minute delay.

It won't be too late when he gets to Schipol and there are plenty of trains to Utrecht.

Tony

Afternoon all,

Not a good start to the day, with the headache and the like - should be able to regulate the medication over the next couple of days. I should have put more emphasis on the superb treatment I had at the hospital yesterday - when told to take a seat at reception, I explained the discomfort that this caused, and within moments my grandson and I were shown to one of the consulting rooms which was equipped with a fully adjustable electric reclining chair! Thereafter, all business was conducted in there, with the consultant coming to there as well - such lovely caring people. As indeed is everyone on here as I am once again in the position of being choked by all the lovely comments posted!

Apologies for posting about what is now 'old' but I'm catching up!

Stewart, in one of my insomniac moments during the night, I thumbed through the late W.A.C. Smith's 'Last Days of Ayrshire Steam' and in it were three fairly poor images of the Caley 0-6-0 that I hadn't noticed before. One was at Hurlford shed, another on a short coal train and the third with a couple of suburban coaches doing a 'local' turn! Amazing how useful and versatile they were after such lengthy careers, but of course they were never as good looking as the G&SWR locos and for proof it's worth seeking out pics of those scratch built by 'ian@stennochs' of this parish whose 7mm versions bring out the true beauty!

Gordon(bluebottle), truly beautiful images to cherish. With our brood Joanna and I are Gran and Grandad to the grandchildren, and 'G' and 'Grumps' to the great grandchildren.(G was shortened by Freddie from GG which once stood for great grandmother!)

Gordon(gordon-s), I do hope you manage to get mum's problems resolved as soon as possible - she must have been very frightened! I agree that getting old can be very hard (I am!), but I'm not too keen on the alternative!

Mike(SM), good to hear that Dr Station Cat is getting ever closer to getting her 'wings'! She'll soon be able to chauffeur you to shows. As a matter of my professional history, I wondered if she had yet chosen a car, and if so, what were the buying decisions? (This is only for my interest so to be ignored if preferred!).

John(KB), I simply pick up BBC iPlayer, and several others, by simply googling them on my iPad or PC and looking on-line. Our isp is 'btinternet.com'.

Tony_S, good to read that last night's problems with Matthew appear to be resolving themselves - it must have been awful for Aditi and you to feel so helpless. Hope he gets the all clear soon.

Rick, I'm delighted that Sharon and you now feel strong enough to take on another cat, especially as the loss of Gwyn hurt so much. I like the name 'Heliopause', although we must remember it is only a theoretical concept (yes, the geek is interested in the Solar system as well!), but 'Paws' sounds just fine and the later pic looks lovely.

Dave(r-a-r), amazing that you should pick on J.M.W. Turner as an example - one of my all time favourite artists! Thank you.

Gordon((bluebottle), thanks, but I'm not sure about Gibb's Crimean War image - perhaps Turner's 'Rain, Steam and Speed', even if it is GWR? Loving the discussion by the way,most cheering.

Just noticed that Queen Elizabeth II would have been told of her father's passing during the night whilst she was in Kenya - haven't noticed much celebration of the fact that this is the moment of 'accession'. She's certainly had a fair run since then!

I hope everyone who has been show visiting today enjoyed themselves, and I'll try to get on here again later tonight if I stay awake!

Thank you all again and kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

John, I have different blood pressure drugs to take morning and evening - valsartan in the morning and moxonidine in the evening - seems to work OK, and not too much in the way of side effects.  BP could be a little lower, but given age etc our GP is content.  Other drugs have given lower BP, but with unacceptable side effects.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know some of you know about aeroplanes.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightTracker/flightTracker.do?id=666645722&airlineCode=TP&flightNumber=662

What is this one doing? The position log is most odd!

Tony

Currently on final descent into Schipol.  It seems to have done a loop above Lisbon for some reason.   Possibly a warning light on take off which got fixed.

http://www.flightradar24.com/TAP662/8be299c

Hope he's OK soon.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Currently on final descent into Schipol.  It seems to have done a loop above Lisbon for some reason.   Possibly a warning light on take off which got fixed.

http://www.flightradar24.com/TAP662/8be299c

Hope he's OK soon.

Jamie

It seemed to have looped on takeoff, got to Rennes, turned back , and then headed back on course! As you say now approaching Amsterdam.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It seemed to have looped on takeoff, got to Rennes, turned back , and then headed back on course! As you say now approaching Amsterdam.

Safely on the ground now Tony.   On the site I looked at the loop is much shorter which looks like  a quick return to Lisbon.   Glad that he's on the ground now and hope that things get sorted out soon.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Safely on the ground now Tony.   On the site I looked at the loop is much shorter which looks like  a quick return to Lisbon.   Glad that he's on the ground now and hope that things get sorted out soon.

Jamie

He will probably phone when he is on the train if it has "wifi in de trein".
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Had the pleasure of meeting Ian (RH) earlier and lent a hand to his team setting up; albeit somewhat petrified of dropping anything on someone else's prize layout! 

Some nice layouts for those going to Alton today, including Loch Tat, an interesting version of the Watercress Line, and a 7mm narrow gauge Cornish-themed layout.

Oh, and Banbury, of course! 

Chores done and heading to the garage....

Andy good to see you this morning. You did well giving us a hand especially for a first time seeing the layout bring set up.

He bacon sandwiches went down very well. Thankyou very much for them.

If you fancy having a drive with the layout tomorrow you are most welcome.

Ian

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Jock as far as the good Doctor is concerned I don't know if she has got as far as considering what to buy, she's definitely never mentioned it to me and I suspect she just wants to get the test out of the way before taking the next step.

PlilJW beware the side effects of Ramipril - it causes kidney damage and in fact my dosage has been halved because of the wrong sort of changes in the relevant numbers  (I only found out that when asking about the effects of FenoFibrate and that caused the Doctor I was seeing to have a good look at my numbers - and halve the dose.

And a good time was had at Alton show - we didn't deliver any bacon sandwiches to Ian but we had just had burgers courtesy of the good Doctor.  Alas some of the car parking marshalling was in the hands of juvenile trainee cockwombles but the lady round at the top of the car park was really doing her stuff and quite made up for the confusing messages delivered by the juveniles - otherwise all was good although no doubt many fewer folk I know present that would have been the case at Stafford, but a lot more convenient for home.  Some good layouts - several of which were familiar to us although the discussions with Ian about Banbury, a truly excellent model of the place, were largely about his various technical plans and very interesting.  There was an excellent Southern set layout Wellbridge) but the 'best in show' went to the N gauge 'Watercress Line' to recognise the builder's achievement after arriving late in the hobby.  No doubt many different reasons for choosing the best layout and Steve Flint explained his very clearly today - I only hope I can be as cogent in reaching a  decision at an upcoming show where I've been asked to judge the layouts 'from a different angle and through the eyes of a railwayman' (and do it without getting shot).

Have a good evening everybody

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Stewart, in one of my insomniac moments during the night, I thumbed through the late W.A.C. Smith's 'Last Days of Ayrshire Steam' and in it were three fairly poor images of the Caley 0-6-0 that I hadn't noticed before. One was at Hurlford shed, another on a short coal train and the third with a couple of suburban coaches doing a 'local' turn! Amazing how useful and versatile they were after such lengthy careers, but of course they were never as good looking as the G&SWR locos and for proof it's worth seeking out pics of those scratch built by 'ian@stennochs' of this parish whose 7mm versions bring out the true beauty!

Indeedy, these pics are there, and you're also right that the quality is pretty poor.  There's another in Chris Gammell's Branch Lines of Scotland, depicting a Caley Jumbo leaving Darvel with a couple of coaches behind, and I also saw them shunting the yards at Darvel, Newmilns, and Galston.  They did that job well, but after they went, just about anything turned up from a Black 5 to a Standard 5 and quite often one of the Standard 3s.  The track in the goods yard at Newmilns was none too good, and didn't take to the heavier locos at all well, and in the end, a Black 5 actually spread the track and down it went.  It was also very difficult to re-rail as it was just under the high tension cables bringing power to the village.  Regrettably, I never saw a G&SW loco at all, as they all got cut up many years before.  My dad remembered GSW bogies on the Darvel when he was young, and my Uncle remembered seeing the Whitelegg Baltics bucketing down Barrhead Bank.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

PlilJW beware the side effects of Ramipril - it causes kidney damage and in fact my dosage has been halved because of the wrong sort of changes in the relevant numbers  (I only found out that when asking about the effects of FenoFibrate and that caused the Doctor I was seeing to have a good look at my numbers - and halve the dose.

It also causes a cough after a few years - I was taken off it completely for that reason, and my BP regime, which works for me (135/75 last reading at diabetic check) is Bendroflumethiazide, Losartan, and Amoldipine all taken in the morning.  I am currently on a research project with Manchester Uni about taking BP meds morning or afternoon.

Andy good to see you this morning. You did well giving us a hand especially for a first time seeing the layout bring set up.

He bacon sandwiches went down very well. Thankyou very much for them.

If you fancy having a drive with the layout tomorrow you are most welcome.

Ian

A pleasure, Ian. Hope you find a suitable watering hole this evening. 

swmbo has given approval for me to call by tomorrow morning. So, may take you up on a "drive". 

I purchased a  pre-painted loco crew from the Masterpiece Figures / Falcon Figures you mentioned a couple of years ago which grace my Southern M7. Would recommend them.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A pleasure, Ian. Hope you find a suitable watering hole this evening.

swmbo has given approval for me to call by tomorrow morning. So, may take you up on a "drive".

I purchased a pre-painted loco crew from the Masterpiece Figures / Falcon Figures you mentioned a couple of years ago which grace my Southern M7. Would recommend them.

Andy - look forward to seeing you with more bacon sandwi.........Only joking as we will be having a cooked breakfast tomorrow.

Yes those figures are very good. This afternoon bought a couple of unpainted dmu drivers off him.

We have a few watering holes in mind such as th Eight Bells and Tripple fff brewery's The Railway to finish in.

Edit

Mike - despite no bacon sandwiches it was Good to have a chat!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12

Interesting that a side effect of Ramipril is a cough, as I have been taking it for years, and I have a persistent cough...

I take Cotenidone as a counter to the side effects. Kidneys are OK according to the last set of tests.

Phil - glad that Matthew made it safely, that must have been a bit nerve-racking.

Jock - sleep well. And comfort to all.

• Like 11

Evening all. A few wishes to pass out. Firstly to Tony. I am sorry to read of the issues Matthew has had. I can understand your worries, being so far away. I hope things will be ok. I am sure you will feel a little easier once he is back in Utrecht.

To Jock we continue to root for you. Your spirit is an example to us all. I hope things improve for you.

To John (CB) I hope you get your new medicine routine sorted and get through that marking - you have my sympathies there!

To Gwiwer - what a handsome cat your new arrival is. I am sure he will settle soon and before long be jumping up and "helping" on the work bench.

Today has seen me manage to make it to Stafford after all. Had an enjoyable day there with my Dad who kindly insisted on driving and paying our admission. I insisted that he, at least, let me buy him lunch as some return. The exhibition was great. I am sure that I will get around to posting a blog at some point with more detailed views on the event. It was great to see some familiar faces during the day.

I picked up some stuff from the Langley Models stall for my new layout, Skaleby Quay. I also purchased a Metcalfe platform kit for the same project. I was very tempted by the Oxford Rail Adams Radial tank but resisted. I did purchase a very fine Oxford Rail wagon, but that is a birthday gift for my father in law.

I enjoyed the show so much I would go back again tomorrow if I could. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Edited by andyram
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Matthew got home to his uni residence at about 7.30. I think he was rather tired but ok if rather sore on his arm, back and head. TAP seemed like a luxury airline as he got a snack and the seat spacing was enough for him to sleep. He didn't really notice much about the detour, but there was an explanation in Portuguese, Dutch and English that it was a serious medical situation.

We are both relieved. I think we may actually feel up to the planned during to see some paintings in London tomorrow.

Tony

• Like 3

Matthew got home to his uni residence at about 7.30. I think he was rather tired but ok if rather sore on his arm, back and head. TAP seemed like a luxury airline as he got a snack and the seat spacing was enough for him to sleep. He didn't really notice much about the detour, but there was an explanation in Portuguese, Dutch and English that it was a serious medical situation.

We are both relieved. I think we may actually feel up to the planned during to see some paintings in London tomorrow.

Tony

Tony:

I'm relieved that Matthew is now back home safe and wasn't the cause of the detour.  Best wishes to him and a speedy recovery!

Similarly, as usual, all thoughts with all suffering in whatever way

Have as good a night as possible in the circumstances!

Glad to hear that the NHS treated Jock so well; must try that next time I go in.

Scotland/England match good but wrong result (again)!. Great atmosphere. Very impressed with the England defence on the line, still solid, like the thin red line, year after year; thought we might have scored a try, which would have been our first against England since, er phew, 2008... Still think that the current Scotland side have the capacity to be a great side, shame it wasn't today.

Am worried that Murrayfield is becoming England's 2nd HQ - until next year at the Twickenham HQ, comrades, enjoy the 6Nations!

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 14

Glad to hear that the NHS treated Jock so well; must try that next time I go in.

Scotland/England match good but wrong result (again)!. Great atmosphere. Very impressed with the England defence on the line, still solid, like the thin red line, year after year; thought we might have scored a try, which would have been our first against England since, er phew, 2008... Still think that the current Scotland side have the capacity to be a great side, shame it wasn't today.

Am worried that Murrayfield is becoming England's 2nd HQ - until next year at the Twickenham HQ, comrades, enjoy the 6Nations!

Mal

Mal, I watched the game on TV and it seemed to be more of the usual for Scotland. They just seem to lack the composure and finesse at the key times. As an England supporter, I had feared what Mark Bennett might do, but he had a very quiet game and Stuart Hogg was the main attacking threat for Scotland.

It has rained nearly all day here so not much else done after a 3 mile walk in drizzle this morning. Some carpentry started to box in the recently amended central heating pipe work.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Tony:

I'm relieved that Matthew is now back home safe and wasn't the cause of the detour. Best wishes to him and a speedy recovery!

Similarly, as usual, all thoughts with all suffering in whatever way

Have as good a night as possible in the circumstances!

When I saw the plane's path I did hope it wasn't anything to do with Matthew. He sounded perfectly lucid this morning after he had some breakfast. He said they gave him loads of pills and got him to stab himself with a tiny syringe thing with some medication. He did sound a bit odd yesterday. He said he was worried that he might have brain damage and be affected for ever. I said he sounded OK today! He said he will need to study tomorrow to rewrite some work. I suggested he should see how he feels and see when he can get a doctors appointment.

He is going to email the tutors to let hem know. The new semester starts on Monday so he doesn't want to miss anything.

We will talk to him tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Best wishes

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Been a busy be at Stafford show today. A couple of gremlins caused some issues which are still being sorted.

One day to go then n xt stop Nottingham

Still looking for some new clubrooms. Need to ring a couple of people on Monday as they may have premises available.

The promised support from Leeds City Council has not appeared (well there is a surprise...not!) So we may have get the Chief Executive to come and have a chat...without coffee!

Stay calm and safe.hope that you had a safe return journey Chrisf and Mick.

Baz

• Like 12