RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all.

Yesterday I dropped my new mobile phone down the toilet. It drowned,

At the weekend I put my jacket through the wash. It had my 'van keys in the pocket. The key still works but the remote bit is broken.

The cost of my stupidity? The key thingy is covered by my motorhome insurance. It will cost about £150. The phone is covered by my home insurance, it will also cost around £150.  In both cases I have "chosen" an excess of £200 for such eventualities.

As my Dad always said, quoting a TV advert, "get the strength of the insurance companies around you".

Best wishes to all, especially those with health issues.

Ed

who could have bought a couple of trains instead.

• RMweb Gold

My mother had a rare surname. For some reason they thought it may have been French although it seemed to be limited to Birmingham. Although I am not really interested in genealogy I did some research for Mum and her brother. He lost interest when the evidence appeared to suggest Wales as the origin a few centuries ago!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Don’t feel bad. Ed. I laundered my iPhone a couple of weeks ago.

It looked very nice afterwards but functionally it was crap.

Best, Pete.

My neighbours daughter's iPhone got washed a few weeks ago. It was an old phone belonging originally to her Mum but it was her first phone.

Poor child seemed upset. Her Mum saved the day by packing it in rice. It seems fine. Perhaps it was a delicates wash?

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

Actually my Wife tried the “rice trick” - nothing.

It was in the pocket of my jeans - with a bunch of other jeans so not delicate. Luckily it was about 4 years old so I got a new one and as mentioned before a visit to the Verizon store saved me a further $56.00 per month and more gigs (not the musical kind).

It worked out quite well in the end.

Best, Pete.

• Like 14

Don’t feel bad. Ed. I laundered my iPhone a couple of weeks ago.

It looked very nice afterwards   but functionally it was crap.

Best, Pete.

I did that. The sinking feeling when you hear a rhythmic thud from the washing machine...

• RMweb Gold

I did that. The sinking feeling when you hear a rhythmic thud from the washing machine...

Do you remember a few years ago when some naughty people circulated a rumour that the then new upgrade to iOS made iPhones waterproof. Some people were very gullible.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.  Still dicky, although there have been slight signs of improvement this last couple of hours, after a truly awful night.

Co-codamol, yes I am well aware of the issues, I took a lot of it before my hip surgery when a bit of bone broke off my pelvis and was trapped in the joint, ripping the cartilage to shreds - ow.  The 30/500 ones are the ones to watch.....

Post-surgery we found Tramadol (which is a synthetic opiate) to be a better choice.  I had no issues coming off Tramadol, I do occasionally have to take some when my hip is having a bad day.

Dr now trying me on slow release Ibuprofen alternating with the co-codamol after a discussion this morning. Apparently there is a load of this bug around the Island at the moment, but most folk are presenting with classic flu symptoms too, which I don't have.

The name game was spot on for my surname, Aberdeen, but vague with Debs maiden name.  It didn't manage much of a guess where we met!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't tried the surname game. Not a lot of point when dad changed it in 1938, and didn't even tell us kids. He was from Newcastle, and his birth name was Salkeld. Sherry's maiden name was Fraser, which is how I knew her at skool, of course, where we met. The late, lamented Friends Reunited had a hand, as well. Her father was an Ulster Orangeman, complete with bowler hat and sash. His forebears had left Scotland in Mary Queen of Scots's reign, probably unwillingly.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I don't keep my mobile in my jeans, it's uncomfortable, so it lives in the pocket of whatever jacket I'm wearing, or frequently the jacket I wore the previous day. In the event of anything terminal happening to it, replacement cost is currently £4.99. It's a phone, nothing else. My last one drowned in a pocket of my work waterproof on a very wet day. I had inadvertently tucked the pocket flap in so it filled with water. It had survived being dropped in a puddle several days earlier but that was too much.

Weather here has been alternating between sunny and windy, and wet and windy. Careful selection of coat will be required when going out.

I have things that need doing but a combination of Google, apathy and procrastination has successfully kept me otherwise occupied. However I need to draft an important letter so it might be an idea to get on with it before I go out.

Best wishes to those ailing or recovering.

Have a good Hump Day.

Pete

• Like 13

I have been reading, but refraining from posting over the last few months for fear of drowning the thread with tales of our parental units and their contemporaries for whom my wife and I are the nearest relatives able to offer support. Suffice it to say that all six are still in life, although at an 83% serious malfunction rate. But only 50% are now 'bed-blocking' like champions, a significant improvement on the recent 100% status. (One of them did escape from a hospital along the way, but having learned and successfully practised this art during the only part of his life he now remembers at 70-odd years distance - and not being dissuaded at that time by the armed guards - I don't think the present NHS offered that much of a challenge.)

What I have learned along the way is that despite the glooming and dooming in some sectors of the press, actually the NHS and social care systems work pretty well in providing assistance to people who by reason of age and decay of faculties can no longer fully manage their own lives. As a bonus I even got to meet a psychiatrist who enjoys railway modelling: in his opinion, we are the only sane people on the planet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My paternal Grandfather was for a time in a mental hospital as they were then called. He went along quite willingly as he was convinced it was my Dad that was being committed. According to what my father told me , Grandad realised they were talking about him. At this point he yelled "you will never catch me " and started running round the ward and at one time was leaping from bed to bed. He must have been in his late sixties then.

HUMP day, good morning all.

Had a very interesting evening as the Mrs and I attended the local presidential "caucus". A first for me, and a very interesting introduction into the complexity of the US political system. Unlike everything one has seen on the news this was actually a well conducted affair (rather than a shouting match/bun fight!), and those who attend are truly providing some real input into the process and possible future legislation, at least that was what I came away with.

I even signed up to be an election judge! Decided I wanted to do my civic duty bit and get involved in the process more. "There's one born every minute??" :jester:

Had one unfortunate event in the process, someone had a seizure in the room we were in (you're sorted into precincts by street address and meet separately) and the paramedics had to be called, so we were delayed about 30 minutes over the rest of the city precincts. The guy seemed not too much the worse for wear as he was at least awake and sitting up somewhat when they wheeled him out on the stretcher.

Best wishes for those still ailing and struggling with medication issues. Hope OldDs' surgery goes as planned/expected.

Given I added another nail in the coffin today, I'm being treated to dinner at the "restaurant of my choice" by the Mrs tonight. Problem is I can't ever decide where to go <sigh>

Drive into the office day also today, left about 10 minutes early, just a happy accident, but the pleasant result was the journey was in very light traffic, and totally devoid of cockwombles :) Who says there isn't a superior power at work :sungum:

-10 and sunny driving in, expecting +1 for a high. The dramatic/unseasonal highs are still predicted, but have moved out another day. Sunday supposed to be +11 and +15 by Tuesday. We'll see!

Enjoy the HUMP and it's all downhill from here.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday Ian, and sorry that I didn't wish it earlier.

Snow here was very short lived, and though it was heavy first thing, it stopped quite soon afterwards, and the temperature rose to about 9o and it was all gone by the time that the 45156 taxi was needed. 

Dining room is cleared now, and the rest of the house looks like a furniture tip, and there's only a few large items to move (outside) tomorrow morning - bet it snows again.

I am another who would not lose a fortune if my mobile went West, as I have the same approach as Petethemole, and a new one costs £4.99 from the O2 shop, and all I need to do is a sim change (and as I'm on O2 already the mandatory top up requirement is also waived).  Car keys is a different story, and I am told by the Peugeot garage that a new one will cost £200 plus VAT if I need another.  So I try to make sure that I don't leave the keys in my pocket - not always successfully, and I then get panicy if I don't find them where they should be.

Back tomorrow hopefully, (but maybe not as once the carpet's in, the furniture needs to go back, and the dresser etc all refilled with my books and the like).

S

• Like 12

There is only one alternative to aging and even though I haven't tried it I can't say I am keen to find out. Hope you have a good birthday Ian.

Mick - agreed and thanks, so I'm still clocking the "miles" as the better choice :jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday Ian.

Hope you have a good evening.

Meetings today so only a quick look on here earlier.

It's getting a bit chilly even down here in the South with possibility of snow Friday night. Luckily the Freemo meet on Saturday is less than 2 miles away from us.

No doubt the forecast will change by then though.

Fancied a few beers tonight but need to spend time in the garage sorting Dobris out and digging Fort Myers boards out from behind other layouts.

Anyway it is the annual Welsh beer fest in the Rake tomorrow night so we will have a few interesting brews then.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Belated birthday wishes Ian.

Been a tad busy today..result...we know have a new clubroom ...well after 1st April to be precise.

Ironing done, tea cooked documents finished and emailed, weathering completed. Photos later after a visit to the Middleton railway for a presentation by Don Townsley who knows a lot about Hunslets, locos and life in general.

Have a nice evening/night/day everyone.

Baz

• Like 17