RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all,

Well, this is an interesting idea coming down the pipeline at us, so to speak....rather reminds me of how they used to send messages and cash round large buildings!

It seems to me that one would need quite gentle curves on such a system, both laterally and vertically, to avoid passengers at 760 mph being subject to rather noticeable / uncomfortable g forces.  

I presume the quoted cost of "$200 to $300 million (£141 to £211 million)" is for the planning stage, not the actual construction?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fame takes many forms, and being found asleep is just one of them. It was good of my bride to wake up long enough to take two pictures, really!

Bright and sunny yet again - the weather seems to be stuck. Slightly less breeze, though, today.

Delighted to know our resident Leopard is already mobile again. When I first saw a factory lettered Zimmer Orthopaedic about 45 years ago, I had no idea their products would become so universally known in the most positive way.

I had an hour's brisk constitutional walk with Alison this morning, which is my excuse for having a few zzzzzzs. Her collie-cross, secured as usual with a lead around Alison's not-slender waist, remains a dubious companion, darting here and there enough to trigger some teeth-grinding, and not a little Anglo-Saxon.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

There I was peacefully wending my way through RMweb when the front door bell rings.  And in the porch is Mrs Stationmaster - saved taking off her muddy gardening wellies to call my attention that way.

Mrs S 'I'm down the garden and there are some bricks in the way along the edge of the path and I can't move them'

Self     'What path, I can't think of any bricks by a path down there?'

Mrs S 'The path by the veg patch, I can't get the bricks out and I can't weed round them, I want you to move them'

Self     ' There aren't any bricks there, only a concrete strip that was the path edging in the past'

Mrs S 'They are bricks, it is not concrete, I know that I've been trying to dig them out'

Self      'It's concrete and it will be a right b*gger to get it out but I'll see what I can do'

Mrs S   'They're bricks, come and get them out so I can weed there'

So duly kitted up I go out and collect  a pickaxe, a spade, a crowbar, and a sledgehammer and proceed to site and have a nudge at the offending area with the pickaxe - duly uncovering a strip of, hmm, concrete. In the process I hit a piece of (brick) hardcore sticking out from underneath the path.

Self  'Look, there it is - concrete just as I said'

Mrs S 'Yes, but look at that piece of brick (about an inch long), you can see why I thought it was brick'

Next to the miniscule piece of brick lies a partly uncovered piece of concrete about 18 inches long by 4" wide by 9' deep which I have loosened with the crowbar and have to break with the sledge in order to extract it from the ground.  I then decided that as I had frightened it I might just was well dig out the next 10 feet of concrete edging duly explaining to herself as I went that I knew it was concrete as I could remember my dad laying it, about 64 years ago.

The moral of this tale - when is a brick a brick ?  Obviously really - when it's concrete (and that way you'll never be wrong).

• Like 3

I presume the quoted cost of "$200 to $300 million (£141 to £211 million)" is for the planning stage, not the actual construction?

Having recently bought some fashion items for swmbo from Amazon, and seen the very reasonable prices, I suspect the $200-$300M may be for construction and the first 10 years of operation, too. 

Afternoon all,

Well, this is an interesting idea coming down the pipeline at us, so to speak....rather reminds me of how they used to send messages and cash round large buildings!

It seems to me that one would need quite gentle curves on such a system, both laterally and vertically, to avoid passengers at 760 mph being subject to rather noticeable / uncomfortable g forces.  

Checking calendar to see if it's April 1st already. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Joe still not quite right but apart from that it's been a goodish afternoon so far:

My Colletts have landed!  :yes:

Track lifted, new point and a bit of siding laid.

Everything working so far and no blood in sight. ..........yet.

• Like 18

Another cracking day here in sunny Teignmouth.  I ventured out in a tee-shirt and did not feel cold a bit.

Station ticket machine was NFU when I called there earlier so my online tickets will have to wait collection.  They seemed a bargain especially as the Bristol TM to Bristol airport bus is £11 return.  The rail tickets included the bus price at a reduced rate.

• Like 11

Well, SOD! (No, not the American term for turf, a bona fide "SOD" exclamation)

Apparently our new (well 18 months or so by now) oven has decided to go on strike it seems. As with all new stuff, this item has a digital clock on the face, eager to always inform.

No clock, no functioning when controls are worked, nothing, nada, zip! I've checked the circuit breaker (first question asked by the service folks :) ) which is, of course not thrown, reset it anyway and no change in the situation.

Fortunately we don't use the oven a lot so waiting until Thursday for a scheduled repair appointment is not really a problem.

So goes the midday news from Minnesota, still overcast, still 11C no rain as yet. Right, I'm going to make some lunch and then get back to the toil...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

The man's a pus*y magnet!.......

In his dreams...! (see second photo!)

Another cracking day here in sunny Teignmouth.  I ventured out in a tee-shirt and did not feel cold a bit......

Gosh! Was Teignmouth ready for your bit.....?!

With the demise of Little Red (not Riding Hood) we'll be driving up to Aberdeenshire this summer. 

On previous occasions we've broken the journey on the way up (from the MiLs) at Moffatt. 

But driving back to the MiL's has always been a 9-hour drag; longer if the motorway has a problem.

So this year I'm thinking of spending a night in the Lake District - not a place the children have been before.

Any recommendations?

Initial thoughts are a B&B in Windermere with a trip on the lake.... (it's bound to be quiet and uncongested in August :no:  )

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

My stays in the Lake District haven't been in B&Bs. We have been there in August and it wasn't too bad! Though perhaps it was because it was raining? The only boat trip we had was at Coniston.

• Like 1

As predicted a loy of driving and not a lot of work today. I was surprised when I went out to the van first thing to find it covered in ice.

Andy - I hope that you can get the pain under control but at least you are starting to get mobile again.

Dom - Sorry to hear that you're under the weather enough to see ENT. At least the antibiotics and enforced rest should assist a speedy recovery.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Tony,  Andy.

Seems there's "room at the inn" on the day I had in mind. 

And a microbrewery, too. :)

And dogs are very welcome. I may bookmark that location.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. Another beautiful day again today. My travels took me to Millom, Barrow-in-Furness, Grange Over Sands. I very pleasant days driving but I clocked up over 250 miles today, along with some more overtime too!

We normally go shopping on a Tuesday evening, but I was a little tired so we're going to shop tomorrow instead.

Rick. I agree about the "Karelia Suite" but like Jock, I prefer the orchestral version. But I do like Isao Tomita, love he's reworking of some classical works, Snowflakes are dancing being one of my favourites.

Pete. I do like Farewell To Stromness, it's a lovely piece isn't it?

Andy. Keep up with the physio, even though it might be painful now, it'll all be worth it in the end!

John. Another beautiful sunset.

Goodnight all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

survived my committee meeting (two committee meetings in 2 days is just far too much!).

A trip to the post office i scheduled for tomorrow followed by weathering then another presentation to watch and listen to.

Sleep well everyone - Rick enjoy your day!

baz

• Like 8