RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I contacted the car repairers to arrange the return of my car this morning. They are based in Hainault and as the North Circular was closed entirely this morning from the M11 to the A12 I was expecting it to take some time so I was pleasantly surprised when they delivered it at 10:30 this morning. As I surmised the wheel was replaced and in all they did a very good job. Now getting late so its off to bed so goodnight all.

• Like 11

Managed to complete a game today helped by some excellent bowling from the Yorkshire U15 ladies. Notts 34 all out Yorks 38-0. But tit was blooming freezing at Shaw Lane Barnsley.

Baz

Baz,

Maybe an unfortunate turn of phrase?

Bill

Finding sleep hard to come by. I'm still distressed over Daisy, and to an extent blaming myself for the problems, as it was me who supposedly brought up her father, and he is distressing her. She idolises him, they were inseparable for years (he was a stay-at-home dad) and now Rose has come along Daisy is pushed to the sidelines. Her heart must be broken and she must be utterly confused as she sees Rose getting the love and attention she once had, and she gets none - in fact she is rejected.

Someone help me here - what do I do? Dad won't even talk about it, I think he's depressed, and he rejects any advice I try to give him.

Dick, I'm sorry to read that. They f*ck you up, your Mum and Dad. Look, you did the best you could, and I'm sure your son is doing the best he can. Perhaps his Mum would be better at explaining how Daisy feels (women usually are better at talking about feelings), rather than "giving advice", and your son may take it on board and make his own decisions.

What I do know is that. no matter how hard you try, you can't treat kids "the same". You can try to treat them fairly, but that may not seem fair to the kids. Having grandparents as caring as you obviously are is brilliant and especially if you live close enough to see a lot of them, it sounds like you do.

How old is Rose now? Are you getting near the time when you will be able to have special time with her, and then Daisy can have her special time with Mum and Dad. I know that with my two Ken was very close to my Dad and Sam was really attached to Elena's Mum, and the period when she lived just up the road from us was magical as Sam would toddle off to Nonna for breakfast.

Hope this helps, and I'm sorry you're feeling down.

Best wishes

Ed

• Like 4

Morning all. A bit chilly this morning but at least I don't have to de-ice the van. Off to Barking and then Twickenham today but at least I should be able to plan it so that I can POE.

Dick - I wish there was an easy answer. Ed's advice sounds like a good starting point and certainly worth a try. My only other thought, is he with the same GP as you. If so maybe a word with one of the practice nurses might reveal a different approach.

Thinking of those ailing, recovering and missing. Hoping for some good news from Clacton.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I'm back for the time being.  The past few days have been extremely busy and there's not going to be much change until after I'm back from the UK in mid-June.  My apologies that I won't be able to back-read but I'll try to pick up on a few salient points and contact individuals privately.

Today is something of a milestone.  I qualify for "Pensioner's" insurance on the car now.  That's a brand name as it is available to anyone over a certain age not working full time.  And it in no way implies I am wishing life away.  Just the fact of it now being the best available policy for me (after 15 claim-free and otherwise satisfied years with the last people) means I have stepped into the "grey zone".   I'm still 54 weeks away from turning 60 and probably have ten years working life ahead of me.  I don't in any way feel old and certainly not a pensioner.  But there we are.  Australian Pensioner's Insurance Agency has a new customer.  And one who, based on the past 42 years driving history, is unlikely to ever trouble them.

• Like 18

Morning All,

We have a night bright sunny morning here.  Still cold, and with a light frost, but it looks much more spring like today.

Today, my work calendar looks fairly light, so I will be able to get some paperwork done.

Dick - I can sympathathise with your predicament.  However, all siblings go through this to a certain extent when a new one comes along - I don't know how old Daisy and Rose are but at different ages it tends to affect them in different ways.  My son Thomas has a half brother and there is seven years between them which means the effect was minimised, but a new sibling is still a huge upheaval.  If it is the classic "two years" then the effect is often much bigger.  The parents simply have too much to do with the baby to give the toddler as much time as they did before.  Children are amazingly resilient and will adjust given time.

However, please don't feel I am trying to make light of the situation.  If it really is a case of rejection then it could be that Dad needs help, particularly if he is depressed - It isn't as widely recognised, but Men suffer from Post Natal Depression too! 

I would echo Eds advice, see if Mum is willing to discuss it and take it from there.  Most of all, you can be there for all of them - the wonderful thing about Grandparents is that they have an interface to both the children and parents that no one else has.

Don't blame yourself!  You did the best you could - and there is no owners manual to tell you what is right, and what is wrong!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17

Good morning all!

A fun day awaits at work - have to cut 20 lengths of 3 metre long rail into 40 of 1.5 metre long as UPS now refuse to carry anything longer than 2.7 metres!

Apart from that, happy POTS day (I don't get to go home Early, so poEts day it ain't!)

Wishes to all as usual

Good morning one and all

I was with Poorly Pal for most of yesterday. We went shopping, ate stir fried Cantonese pork, collected his lawn mower from the repair shop and enjoyed an excellent talk by John Jolly of Mangapps at Stevenage Loco Society.  You missed a good night, Ed.  Driving back to Bedford was accompanied by extremely heavy rain and took a bit longer than usual as I did not fancy aquaplaning.  PP is better in himself and some of the sparks of corny humour have returned but there is still a way to go.

I'm now waiting for someone in the street to go to work so that I can move and unload the car which is quite full of tool boxes.  As usual it is across next door's gateway because at 11 pm that is the only space left.  Ah, the joys of suburban life.  Perhaps I shall do the fodder run by car: it's quicker than the bus, though much less green.  On Tuesday I thought I had missed the direct bus back [route 4] and set off on the trudge to the other bus stop [route 5].  Too late, I realised that the 4 was approaching.  Oh bother.  Route 5 was in leapfrog mode.  Around 9 am it is now so bad that the other day there was a convoy of three buses - not bad for a 12 minute frequency.  Later there will be ironing, possibly best done while there is a play on the radio.  This afternoon's is about a bridge scandal, hardly compelling but it will have to suffice.

A quick flick through the rest of yesterday's postings, some porridge and then - the outside world.  Thoughts go out to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Spend a good part of yesterday evening in the conservatory watching a string of freights pass the Trains webcam at Rochelle, Illinois whilst fitting ditch lights to a couple of N scale Amtrak locos. Was a very busy time at Rochelle and I hope that I didn't disturb our neighbours. Had to keep turning the volume down.

After work we are gong 1st class to Glasgow. Just hope that the snow up there doesn't delay these services as we don't get to Glasgow till late as it is.

• Like 13

Just hope that the snow up there doesn't delay these services as we don't get to Glasgow till late as it is.

It's not as if it's 'real' snow either - oh wait, I forgot, this is the UK.

No trains for a week or more :(

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a snow covered village but at least it's bright at the moment. I face a day of layout moving to try and get all the bits in one place ready for lorry loading tomorrow. We will be dodging the showers and one set of boards will have to be carried from the shed to the car as the lawn won't take the sack cart due to being so wet.

Dick, I really feel for you, I've seen the results of that with Beth who was adopted and 7 years later a natural child came along. However you have had some good advice. I often say that, as parents, we do our incompetent best without any training and no one really knows the pressures that occur behind the closed doors of a family home. However your grandchildren obviously have a loving and caring family around them and that is worth a lot.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Spend a good part of yesterday evening in the conservatory watching a string of freights pass the Trains webcam at Rochelle, Illinois whilst fitting ditch lights to a couple of N scale Amtrak locos. Was a very busy time at Rochelle and I hope that I didn't disturb our neighbours. Had to keep turning the volume down.

After work we are gong 1st class to Glasgow. Just hope that the snow up there doesn't delay these services as we don't get to Glasgow till late as it is.

Are you going to do the diversions as there is a closure at Oxenholme this weekend to do with electrification of the Windermere Branch.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Grey sky, looks damp here.

I have got a bit of shopping to do. Various family members arriving for lunch on Saturday require things not in the freezer!

Tony

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Are you going to do the diversions as there is a closure at Oxenholme this weekend to do with electrification of the Windermere Branch.

Jamie

Not that I am aware of, as travelling tonight up the West Coast and back via Newcastle then Derby on Monday.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone. A cold, wet and grey start to the day, a day which takes me to Wigan, where there is evidence of last nights snowfall still to be seen. The temperature is hovering around the 4C mark, but the exposed location and the wind makes it feel a lot colder than that.

I've just got the one job to do today, and then it's home, truly a POETS day for me. So I'd best get cracking, as the quicker I'm done here, the earlier I'll get home.

Back later.

• Like 12

Morning all. Dick, I really sympathise with your problems, I've been there myself. My granddaughter got a 'wee bit stroppy' when her little brother was born. Unfortunately he was a little bit poorly due to a millk allergy which took a while to diagnose. She felt completely pushed out. Luckily, like your granddaughter, she's a very bright girl. We sat her down and explained to her that when she was a baby she needed looking after just like her brother. Also that Mum and Dad only had so many hours in a day and were very tired from working, looking after her and her brother and running backwards and forwards to the hospital. It took a little time, but she understood and went home determined to help her parents when she could. The doom and gloom only lasted a couple of weeks and then everybody's moods lightened.

Offering advice to No1 Son is a bit :banghead: but I like to think I brought him up properly, to look after himself and make his own decisions, which on the whole he does very well.

Battening down the hatches now, as the above mentioned litte terror grandson will be arriving any minute, excited to try his new bicycle.

BarryO, what you need is the good old Yorkshire 'Nose Snood' or maybe a heated Darth Umpire helmet :yahoo:

All best wishes to the sick injured and missing in action.

• Like 16