RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Talking of the sea brings me back to 'Bracknell Afloat' - otherwise known as 'Harmony Of The Seas' and like all these huge 'cruise'(?) ships I'm left wondering first of all why anyone would bother going on a trip with 6,000 other people and secondly what happens to something with that much windage in really bad weather?

Have a  good day everybody - we are promised sunshine.

I haven't been on Harmony of the Seas or even visited Bracknell but Ventura had a slight lean to port when a gale was blowing across Biscay. The captain told us to expect it. The waves hitting the starboard side were quite impressive.

Passed my test in an ancient Skoda - at least I think it was a Skoda, my driving instructor had an east European car (not a Lada or Wartburg!). First car was a Mark 2 Cortina, then Hillman Hunter, then a long-lived Morris Traveller. They all seemed to breakdown a lot compared with today's models...

Mal

• Like 11

All this talk about when a driving test was taken!

I passed mine in 1963 in a Ford Corsair. It had to be a first time past as my father ran his own driving school and fail wasn't an option!

My brother failed his test because he couldn't read a number plate at 25 yards. He didn't have the sense to memorise the car numbers of those parked in the immediate area to his car outside the test station. He then drove a Reliant Robin on his motorcycle licence until his eye sight improved and he took the test again, passed and bought a Rover 90.    

Apparently my grandfather was asked to read the licence plate of the only car in sight, this being back in the days when traffic was rarer. He was then asked to show the examiner to his car, which was of course the car whose number plate he'd just quoted

• Like 3

Interesting couple of days. #1 Son informed me that he has been promoted to deputy manager (a pub which I feel may be known to Bluebottle of this parish) on Wednesday.

Was that meant to narrow it down, Dave? :)

• Like 2

Afternoon all from a cloudy and cool Scottish HQ, and a special loud hello to any triskaidekaphobic ERs hiding under their duvets today...

Apologies for not catching up on the various posts, but hope all are well. Had a trip out to Irvine yesterday with work, 200 mile round trip for a 1 hour meeting. It was worth it, though, interesting meeting.

I took (and passed) my test in a Metro (or it may have been the Rover rebranded Metro by that point) owned by my driving instructor. My first car was a white Clio (of the Nicole... Papa era).

Ongoing discussions with rants from the ex about me trying to get proper access to Jamie... Not causing me sleepless nights just yet, but may well be some encounters with robbing shysters solicitors needed at some point soon.

Hello all.

1971, Hertford in my Dad's 1967 Austin Cambridge Estate. I only had 6 lessons, after my first in the instructor's Viva he was happy for me to use Dad's car. Not ideal because the handbrake was on the right, but it didn't do much anyway. At the Test Centre I couldn't make the key unlock the car so I climbed in through the tailgate, much to the Examiner's amusement.

As for that ship, I wonder what would happen when it passes something interesting and everybody rushes to the same side. It may be no problem as the customers will probably be in the bars, restaurants, swimming pools etc, and too busy to look at the view.

Best wishes

Ed

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Apparently my grandfather was asked to read the licence plate of the only car in sight, this being back in the days when traffic was rarer. He was then asked to show the examiner to his car, which was of course the car whose number plate he'd just quoted

I once had one lad on test that walked to the car to open it and wondered why the key wouldn't unlock it. The examiner then asked why the car hadn't got L plates on. At this point, my lad moved along two cars.............. (same colour, same make)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I passed my test in Stevenage in 1980. The examiner didn't wear a seat belt and the Datsun I was driving had fierce brakes.

I peeled him off the windscreen and managed a first time pass. just before the test they had installed a Pelican crossing in Old Stevenage not far from

the test centre - a godsend as these were the first traffic control lights in Stevenage - loads of roundabouts.. just no red/amber/green lights.

Shopping completed, T20 tickets collected, parcels done and sent, grass mown, lummy what can I do now???? Some modelling perhaps?

Baz

• Like 17

In the practice session directly before my test it dawned on the instructor that my glasses prescription was a little "out of date".

"Can you read that one", he said pointing to a nearby car?

"Nope."

"Try moving forward. Closer.....closer.....closer......STOP!  Can you read it now?"

"Erm....."  :sungum:

"$h1t"

I think it would have been a first for him to have someone fail for not being able to read the number plate at the required distance.

Thankfully, they only got you to read the plate on a car parked across the test centre car park.

I passed first time, but certainly didn't fancy the ribbing I'd have got from my mates if I'd not even been allowed in the car.    

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

As for that ship, I wonder what would happen when it passes something interesting and everybody rushes to the same side. It may be no problem as the customers will probably be in the bars, restaurants, swimming pools etc, and too busy to look at the view.

Best wishes

Ed

When we were on out Norwegian coastal trip it was announced that there was a pod of whales on the starboard side - big rush of about 350 people to the starboard side and the ship started to take on a slight heel to starboard.  But only for a couple of minutes as because she happened to have a cargo deck she also had ballast pumps for adjusting the trim so we were quickly back on an even keel, with just about all the passengers on the starboard side.

On the 'Patricia' we have a safety brief and lifejacket drill plus muster to boat station soon after boarding.  It also includes a briefing about how to get into survival suits as all passengers also have one of those available - ready to don before going to your the boat station.  Last year a young(ish) lady got rather flustered by all this as she couldn't understand why such things were necessary as she'd never seen the survival suits on various cruise ships she had been on and was rapidly convinced herself that 'this small ship can't be safe otherwise why have these things?  The 2nd Officer doing the safety brief suggested to her that our little ship was probably a lot more stable than any cruise ship she had ever been on.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

When we were on out Norwegian coastal trip it was announced that there was a pod of whales on the starboard side - big rush of about 350 people to the starboard side and the ship started to take on a slight heel to starboard.  But only for a couple of minutes as because she happened to have a cargo deck she also had ballast pumps for adjusting the trim so we were quickly back on an even keel, with just about all the passengers on the starboard side.

On the 'Patricia' we have a safety brief and lifejacket drill plus muster to boat station soon after boarding.  It also includes a briefing about how to get into survival suits as all passengers also have one of those available - ready to don before going to your the boat station.  Last year a young(ish) lady got rather flustered by all this as she couldn't understand why such things were necessary as she'd never seen the survival suits on various cruise ships she had been on and was rapidly convinced herself that 'this small ship can't be safe otherwise why have these things?  The 2nd Officer doing the safety brief suggested to her that our little ship was probably a lot more stable than any cruise ship she had ever been on.

ISTR reading about when the two Queens were being used as troopships bringing GI's across the Atlantic.  They each carried a complete division of 15,000 (Yes that's correct) at a time, as well as each bunk having 2 or 3 allocated occupants they were under very strict instructions not to rush to one side or the other for just that reason. 

Jamie

I’m very pleased to note that ER has taken a turn back to the surreal.....

I have to buy some 8 foot poles today.

Best, Pete.

Hmm, I didn't realize Poles were that tall a race....

Hat, coat...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think on big ships like Ventura the stabilisers are probably controlled by the computers. It doesn't seem to be a problem when the bridge officers announce things like whales on the starboard side and an awful lot of people rush over to that side. When we were on Adonia in the Baltic it was quite different movement , the wave were longer and the ship was travelling in the same direction.

Edited by Tony_S

Morning from "back home" In Minnesota.

Little to report from yesterday, save I DID manage to visit the train store, very imposing but most of the relevant stock (not full boxed sets or large scale G, O items) back in the rear of the place as it appears to be more of a semi-warehouse for their mail order operation. Nonetheless, obtained the two points needed at a good price, so happy with that :)

Arriving home to also find the Cobalt point motors also successfully delivered - maybe some modeling this weekend.

I "started" learning to drive in my dads jelly-mold Ford Popular. Having already been driving a Vespa for almost two years, I nearly crashed the car on my first attempt, as when we got to the first corner, I leant over to turn! :jester: Fortunately, it was in a private estate area, we were going slow and a sharp "BRAKE NOW" from my dad prevented any issues.

Right after that he got a Mk1 Cortina, and I learnt to drive in that and successfully passed my test in '67. My first car was a '64 MGB I got a couple of years later.

Looks like we have to make a dash to the cabin tomorrow and mow as no-one else in the extended family has done that/has the time! The "other half" of the family are usually on the hook for the exterior prep as we do the pump/water and inside cleaning, mostly done already, but for some reason they emailed saying they don't have time to get to it - apparently "we" therefore do!!! :(  I don't want to spend ages up there tomorrow, so the plan is to go up early, I'll mow etc., and Mrs will do some more cleaning, then we'll leave. The hope is to not waste spend more than the morning at the tasks <sigh>

8, overcast and raining here supposed to rain all day with a high of only 10, then possible -1 to +1 overnight and forecast of frost "in the outlying areas".

POE at the first opportunity - unlikely for me, as I have a line of clients wanting my services and hoping I can get to them today since I've been in the dungeon all week. :O

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Triskaidekaphobic?  No, I was born on one!

You can drive any car here at 16, different law.  My first car was a Renault 12, talking of wooly gearboxes.  That was OK though, I learned in a Yugo45, which took that particular biscuit!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

. It doesn't seem to be a problem when the bridge officers announce things like whales on the starboard side

I presume that means that the ship was sailing north though the Irish Sea......?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Back from the vets. Robbie's dilute urine is probably due to elevated calcium levels in his blood. He either has hyperparathyroidism or rectal cancer. The vet couldn't feel any tumours or any lumps at all. Before testing for parathyroid problems she will repeat the calcium test. The parathyroid test is expensive, I said I was aware of this as I know mine have to be done at the hospital and tested immediately. He is to all intents and purposes really well and not aware that he may have problems. Apart from sleeping a bit more in the evenings he still behaves like a 3 year old dog not a sensible 12 year old.

Tony

Last Friday mid-afternoon, I posted a large package containing magazines to an address in California USA. I used the cheapest method, and the lass warned me it could take 6 weeks . Last night I had an email saying thank you for the magazines, which arrived yesterday - I'm astounded!

• Like 19

Last Friday mid-afternoon, I posted a large package containing magazines to an address in California USA. I used the cheapest method, and the lass warned me it could take 6 weeks . Last night I had an email saying thank you for the magazines, which arrived yesterday - I'm astounded!

AFAIK everything goes by air these days.

• RMweb Gold

It's amazing how long some packages can take to and from the Americas. You would think it was half way round th world.

I have had packages in 3 days yet some the same size 6 weeks.

It was POETs today when one director switched out the lights and said we are going down the pub.

That now means that I have to load the layout unde the influence. Luckily the car is on the drive and it won't even be started. Just the tailgate open etc.

Of course that's assuming we make it back to our station as already two portions of this train cancelled from Redhill. Last night it was the Tonbridge portion. Staff shortages really biting now I do notice that Southern have stopped using the phrase that it's down to guards being sick which was a completely misleading phrase. They just haven't been working overtime.

However the rhetoric has been upped on both sides recently.

GTR have been named worst performing TOC again and even then the punctuality figures reported, are being questioned.

At least no full size trains this weekend.

Just model ones.

Update

Nearly 10 down at Purley so about 4 minutes later than usual

Edited by roundhouse