Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Sunny as of yet but the advance weather warning has been repeated. Taking it slow for the next couple of hours, with my shift beginning at 5.26 pm!

Dom, hope the promised weather does not materialise, but if it does, it should prove no obstacle to a driver of your calibre.  Have the trams got any form of traction control or wheelslip prevention?

Yes, they do, Stewart. I have found that overall, the NGT6 and NGT12 to handle quite well in poor adhesion conditions (with the NGT6s having even improved following the provision of the "Version F" traction control software), followed by the Tatras and NGT8 in that order. Aside from that, individual cars can, and do, handle quite differently to one another in various respects. One item I have taken particular note of recently was how the holding brakes – which generally come on around 3 to 5 kph prior to stopping – apply fairly vigorously on some cars, and much more smoothly on others. The former can, of course, lead to a bit of a jolt, but is, in fact, outside our influence.

I also should mention that in persistent rain, adhesion is not that much different from dry conditions, but in drizzling rain, things can be treacherous!

Try to enjoy your day, folks. Thinking of everyone in need for any reason.

• Like 12

Glorious sunshine and warm here in the valley of the Sheaf. Abbeydale should be glorious if this weather sticks for the day. I think today is a day of rest. Mrs HB will no doubt be making preparations for tomorrow, when she's off to Bolsover Castle with the grandkids to see the Knights beat the living whatsits out of each other.

I shall take advantage of the (hopefully) resulting peace and quiet to listen to the test match and get some 'granddad' things done, including catching up on last weeks Moto GP which I still haven't managed to watch. Test match and F1 qualifying of course. Some small bits of plastic in the cupboard neeed gluing and may make something railway related.

Thoughts to sick, injured and missing friends.

Have a good one,  and whatever you're doing today, give it some welly.

• Like 17

Morning all. Late on parade but to be honest after yesterday I didn't bother to set the alarm. The sun is trying to break through the clouds and appears to be slowly winning.

Sherry - It's good to hear that there are still some helpful people around.

A day of not doing a lot is planned. A couple of chores, F1 qualifying and maybe a bit of modelling.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Still undecided as to what I will be doing over the bank holiday as the weather reports keep changing. So I've decided to choose two or three options for each day and decide according to weather/traffic reports. Have a good day all, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Clearly a tactical blunder was committed earlier in the week as today I am trusted to not only deal with two loads of washing through the machine and onto the line but also to change the wash temperature setting between loads.  Not only this but tasked again yesterday with scrubbing the spuds - at this rate I'll be roped into doing things in the veg garden other than fetching and carrying supplies.

Fortunately tomorrow I shall be taking myself off early in the same direction as Chrisf, and no doubt countless other RMweb members - my intention (as usual) to not only arrive in good time for a handy parking spot but also to partake of breakfast before joining the queue to get into the show.  At the moment virtually no shopping is planned beyond attempting to obtain a set of name & number plates.

Have a good day one and all;  I'm off to answer the electronic call of the washing machine, persistent thing it is.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone. Just a quick look in, I've not had chance to catch up yet, hopefully I'll be able to do that later.

Late on parade today, as we had a bit of a lie in. Then I had a little walk to the butchers to get some chicken and pork for our tea's on Sunday and Monday.

This afternoon we are off to No 1 sons as we haven't seen him and his family for a couple of months now.

As it's month end we will have our usual Indian takeaway which we'll order just as we get 15 minutes away from home.

Enjoy the day.

Back later.

Edit. Caught up now and ratings left, and the sun is shining and it's warm outside.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

Yes seen that site befor. However if you saw how many full bottles we have home and are out of date as we don't normally drink at home but still get tempted by interesting bottles which are handy for weekends when working on the layouts. I don't often do straight track!

Does beer go out of date? Alcohol is a preservative!

Just had our beer delivered by train

Get Wetherspoons on to that idea!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Does beer go out of date? Alcohol is a preservative

I think the concern is that some of yeasts may achieve sentience if left too long.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

I think the concern is that some of yeasts may achieve sentience if left too long.

I'm sure this has been debated many times during my prolonged absence from this forum, but the philosophy of a product being unusable because it's beyond the date on the label is somewhat ludicrous. Our obsession with expiry dates and keeping opened products in the fridge has countered the reason for their being made in the first place. Cheese, for example, is a preservation technique and will happily survive on the kitchen dresser at room temperature. Stilton and the like have mould instilled in them - should we not eat them because they've gone mouldy?! What's the expiry date for a piece of meat or game that's been hung for 40 days?

Rant terminated!

• Like 4

Afternoon all. Lovely weather here in Nuneaton (at other half's for the weekend for my birthday). Hope everyone is well, and if not speedy recovery.

Meal out for birthday is booked for this evening and Richard is baking a cake :-)

Tomorrow is railex in Aylesbury with Natalie, should be a good show.

Does beer go out of date? Alcohol is a preservative!

It goes flat etc if left too long (Richard found this with the hobgoblin ale kegs aldi sell.

I'm sure this has been debated many times during my prolonged absence from this forum, but the philosophy of a product being unusable because it's beyond the date on the label is somewhat ludicrous. Our obsession with expiry dates and keeping opened products in the fridge has countered the reason for their being made in the first place. Cheese, for example, is a preservation technique and will happily survive on the kitchen dresser at room temperature. Stilton and the like have mould instilled in them - should we not eat them because they've gone mouldy?! What's the expiry date for a piece of meat or game that's been hung for 40 days?

Rant terminated!

There's a big difference between best before and sell by dates. Sell by dates being mostly the shops trying to get us to buy more. Best before is a 'safe margin' for food to be safe to eat, they work out how long it takes for dangerous bacteria to grow in a given product and then add a bit extra for the date that has to be applied. So of course most stuff is safe for a few days or more past the date, but it varies a lot depending on how it is stored. My fridge seems to be so good at keeping stuff cold, it lasts a lot longer usually I find, so dates become arbitrary.

Some products like flour, washing powder and the like *do* have a shelf life after which they don't quite work as they're meant to (flour goes clumpy etc, washing powder loses effectiveness after about 6month.

• RMweb Gold

Tesco crumpets are sold with a  'best before' date - I have found by exerience that provided they are kept in the fridge (and checked for green bits) that date can easily be extended by 3 weeks.  However Activia yogurt definitely loses something (like taste and consistency) if consumed more than a couple of weeks beyond the 'best before' date.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Bright and sunny here today, and an early morning visit to Morecambe to waste our time at visit the Pleasureland Car Boot, described by the promoter as "A Right bug 'Un" well, it's a right 'un anyway.  Won't be rushing back there.  However as a blue sky day is now forecast for this neck of the woods tomorrow, it's up at silly o'clock to stand at the A6 (oddly normally very good, but operated by the same lot).  For any local RMWebbers, who are looking for any railway books, I've got three crates of railway and aviation titles on.

I see that there's been no news from Dave today, and I hope that all is well in that quarter. 

Ian - love the beer delivery system - if this was done at some 'Spoons, I think that the glass would be missing before the train arrived at its intended destination.

Dom, thanks for the explanation of the traction control on the trams.  At this rate, we'll all be qualified Leipzig tram drivers by proxy.

Sadly this afternoon the G word was mentioned, as we've just got a couple of new sun loungers, and the patio where we planted them was pointed out as being very weedy, and needed attention before these chairs were allowed to be placed.  Once done, I tried the full recline, and just had a look at the inside of my eyelids, to be told that I had missed the kitchen timer, which I had as I managed to doze off for quarter of an hour or so.

Hopefully back tomorrow once the car boot is over.

Generic greetings, and all posts have been read and rated.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

We have opened some of our well past dates by many years and they are fine yet other not so good.

Depends on how well it was bottled and what at was in it

I recall that Gales Prize Old Ale had no sell by date, and I managed to sup one ten years after it was bottled - it was AWESOME.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 12

Evenin' all,

Another crest on the rollercoaster today with probably the best visiting hour with Is so far. She now has a drain in the other kidney and was able to sit up and chat with the friends which I had taken to see her, for the full hour. Given how poorly she was yesterday I wouldn't like to call how she will be tomorrow.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

If they did a train system in a bar in the UK the train would go misdinh aswell and if it didn't it would do be derailed.

It the same situation with the pub bars over here where you por your own beer at the table taps and they have screens up with best score on the pub plus best per pub around the Czech Republic. Would be mayhem in the UK

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Another crest on the rollercoaster today with probably the best visiting hour with Is so far. She now has a drain in the other kidney and was able to sit up and chat with the friends which I had taken to see her, for the full hour. Given how poorly she was yesterday I wouldn't like to call how she will be tomorrow.

Dave

Dave

Enjoy all those 'up' moments that you can get between the two of you.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. Lovely weather here in Nuneaton (at other half's for the weekend for my birthday). Hope everyone is well, and if not speedy recovery.

Meal out for birthday is booked for this evening and Richard is baking a cake :-)

Tomorrow is railex in Aylesbury with Natalie, should be a good show.

It goes flat etc if left too long (Richard found this with the hobgoblin ale kegs aldi sell.

There's a big difference between best before and sell by dates. Sell by dates being mostly the shops trying to get us to buy more. Best before is a 'safe margin' for food to be safe to eat, they work out how long it takes for dangerous bacteria to grow in a given product and then add a bit extra for the date that has to be applied. So of course most stuff is safe for a few days or more past the date, but it varies a lot depending on how it is stored. My fridge seems to be so good at keeping stuff cold, it lasts a lot longer usually I find, so dates become arbitrary.

Some products like flour, washing powder and the like *do* have a shelf life after which they don't quite work as they're meant to (flour goes clumpy etc, washing powder loses effectiveness after about 6month.

On the subject of the shelf life of food. I agree that by keeping some foods in the fridge its shelf life can be prolonged. I'd also add, (assuming that you have a sense of smell), that you should trust your nose because it will tell you with a great deal of accuracy if a food is safe to eat or not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I recall that Gales Prize Old Ale had no sell by date, and I managed to sup one ten years after it was bottled - it was AWESOME.

When I was a lad part of one spring was occupied by picking dandelion heads for the manufacture of some dandelion wine (known to many older folk by a franglais word for its reputed effects - pissenlit).  It was duly made, I was even allowed a few sips and gradually over the years it was consumed.  By the 1970s a by then adult me partook of the occasional small glass from the dwindling stock - in some respects it almost had the taste of a good malt whisky.

Come 2005 and we were heavily engaged in clearing my late parent's bungalow prior to its demolition in order to build the house where we now live.  Sell by dates had clearly never worried my mother and indeed a remarkable number of things in the larder pre-dated such fancy ideas.  However in the freezer room (a converted coal hole) on a high shelf I came across the last remaining bottle of 'Pissenlit 1956' and we duly tried it - absolutely incredible stuff, not a bad taste but I think it had so totally converted itself into alcohol that it should have carried a fire hazard warning.  The somewhat younger - by several decades - of a couple of Mr Brakspear's bottled beers were fit only for pouring down the drain.

• Like 15