The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

excellent stuff, mine is far less impressive.

attachicon.gifSVR 140.JPG

attachicon.gifSVR 149.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02239.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02310.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02314.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02342.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02467.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC02534.JPG

None of the buttons can do justice to your work Andy, It's absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Rgds....Mike

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Happy anniversary to Bob.

Weather the same as yesterday.  Fitful sleep as is always the case before a very early shift but other than that no dramas first day back.  A nice touch was being welcomed back with a handshake from the Station Master.  

SWMBO in transit from NYC to LAX for onward flight back to MEL.  She's due home this time tomorrow meaning my afternoon here will be fully occupied with domestic engineering duties.  See you all anon.

• Like 16

Morning All,

We have a rather grey morning in this part of the world, with occasional showers.  According to the forecast, the weather is due to be much that same as yesterday, that is, blue sky and sunshine for a couple of hours, followed by a torrential downpour (sometimes accompanied by thunder and lightning) followed by two hours of tropical humidity, and repeat!

It looks like it is going to be a relatively meeting free day today - so I have a chance to get some paperwork done.

Have a good day everyone...

Good morning one and all

I'm pleased to report that I had a more than satisfactory meeting with Professor Oncologist yesterday.  The next is due in December.  No change is to be made tot he treatment regime pro tem, though he did mention an optional supplement involving turmeric, broccoli and pomegranate!  Best of all, he agreed that I may inflict myself on Switzerland over Christmas and New Year and will be putting that in writing.  Today the hard work starts of obtaining travel insurance that leaves enough in the bank to pay for the holiday.  My attitude to insurance, as to many other things, is one of cynicism.  From where I'm sitting it clearly covers everything except what happens but I am obliged to have it.  When I've done the fodder run this morning I will speak to the travel agent, who is a very wise lady and may have some useful leads.

I hope the insurance thing does not take all day as I need to round up specimens for my demo on Saturday.  Much of tomorrow is allocated to other things, as I will explain in the morning.  It might be an idea to venture out into the jungle later as the existence of ripe strawberries cannot entirely be discounted and the opportunity to present a specimen to one of my favourite ladies would be nice.

The temptation to say something about the referendum is irresistible.  How to say it without being reprimanded for being political?  Let's try this.  We elect a government to take decisions for us but this one, possibly the most important for a generation, is entrusted to the body least well equipped to take it - the electorate.  Neither campaign has done itself any favours and the amount of twaddle spouted exceeds reasonable belief and is almost exclusovely scaremongering.  Now an undeservedly popular newspaper has urged its sheep readers to follow its lead.  The sleepwalk begins.  The decision always was far too important to be left to the electorate and runs a real risk of being the wrong one.  That is all.

Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed, and special thoughts to Dave and Is.

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all! Evening Rick!

Wet here.

Lots of housework to do before I can restart construction of a couple of coach kits.

Her indoors is down to reports for children at two schools.

Tea being drunk, hen onwards and upwards.

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from a Southern Failway train that's much busier today as the following train is cancelled for second day in a row. Our local MP met with the transport minister yesterday Along with one of the main people in our local users group. Good on them for their effort but I am not expecting any change soon.

Last night was a real mess on both Thameslink and Southern.Stood al the way home crammed in with no handrails to hold onto. My other half nearly fell over numerous times.

Shortage of Thameslink crews aswell and they are not even part of the dispute. Our late friends brother is getting very fed up as he had three trains cancelled to LBG from Haywards Heath this morning.

Add to that the our train stopped right next to us (further up the platform than usual). Someone getting off the train pushed my other half as she was in his way but she couldn't move due to the amount of people behind and to the side of her. I nearly had a go at him but resisted.

Two more days to go after this. It's a real F*** up at the moment and I am losing my patience with it all like so many others.

Heads need to roll at GTR and elsewhere.

Mornin' all,

Best regards to all that ail

Too dismal for the constitutional in The Moorlands just now.

The Occupational Therapists should have completed the assessment of Is's care needs at the hospital yesterday and should be coming out to the house to assess equipment types (hoist, where the bed will go, room for wheeled commode to negotiate furniture/doorways etc) required before ordering same to be delivered. Advising district nurses, Dougie Mac staff of requirements and level of care will also happen. Once all is in place then Is can come home.....and probably by ambulance. I modified her care package to include 'home without stents' (tubes & bags still in place) yesterday to guard against any more postponing. She should have the reversal done today but we heard that twice last week.

Some of the above steps have already been considered at home by Is's former colleagues in this field but the OT's still have to undertake it for themselves. I've now put the single bed back upstairs and further simplified the furniture layout to make it as care friendly as possible.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Mornin' all,

The Occupational Therapists should have completed the assessment of Is's care needs at the hospital yesterday and should be coming out to the house to assess equipment types (hoist, where the bed will go, room for wheeled commode to negotiate furniture/doorways etc) required before ordering same to be delivered. Advising district nurses, Dougie Mac staff of requirements and level of care will also happen. Once all is in place then Is can come home.....and probably by ambulance. I modified her care package to include 'home without stents' (tubes bags still in place) yesterday to guard against any more postponing. She should have the reversal done today but we heard that twice last week.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Thanks for the up-date Dave, wishing you both all the best.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning one and all

The temptation to say something about the referendum is irresistible.  How to say it without being reprimanded for being political?  Let's try this.  We elect a government to take decisions for us but this one, possibly the most important for a generation, is entrusted to the body least well equipped to take it - the electorate.  Neither campaign has done itself any favours and the amount of twaddle spouted exceeds reasonable belief and is almost exclusovely scaremongering.  Now an undeservedly popular newspaper has urged its sheep readers to follow its lead.  The sleepwalk begins.  The decision always was far too important to be left to the electorate and runs a real risk of being the wrong one.  That is all.

Chris

Chris I disagree with you on this. It is up to the electorate. We have to live with the decision and governments change back on forth. I don't agree with the politicians know best idea. I also don't think there is a right or wrong decision it is a matter of choice about what sort of country we want.We were led into the EU without being told the truth. The fundamental articles lay down the aims of political integration we were not  told that at the time. I don't think we should be listening to a newspaper any more than a prime minister who was saying how important it was to get reforms of the EU but failed. We all need to think for ourselves.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Mornin' all,

The Occupational Therapists should have completed the assessment of Is's care needs at the hospital yesterday and should be coming out to the house to assess equipment types (hoist, where the bed will go, room for wheeled commode to negotiate furniture/doorways etc) required before ordering same to be delivered. Advising district nurses, Dougie Mac staff of requirements and level of care will also happen. Once all is in place then Is can come home.....and probably by ambulance. I modified her care package to include 'home without stents' (tubes bags still in place) yesterday to guard against any more postponing. She should have the reversal done today but we heard that twice last week.

Some of the above steps have already been considered at home by Is's former colleagues in this field but the OT's still have to undertake it for themselves. I've now put the single bed back upstairs and further simplified the furniture layout to make it as care friendly as possible.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

I hope you can get it all sorted soon Dave. 

Don

Chris I disagree with you on this. It is up to the electorate. We have to live with the decision and governments change back on forth. I don't agree with the politicians know best idea. I also don't think there is a right or wrong decision it is a matter of choice about what sort of country we want.We were led into the EU without being told the truth. The fundamental articles lay down the aims of political integration we were not  told that at the time. I don't think we should be listening to a newspaper any more than a prime minister who was saying how important it was to get reforms of the EU but failed. We all need to think for ourselves.

Don

....no political system is perfect and we may be about to find out just how flawed ours is.

I feel that our relationship with Europe is akin to being on a train going ever faster in the wrong direction and that if I've got to jump off then I might survive the impact with the ground better now....rather than later.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a brightening Bournemouth.  Good views this morning so there may well be a bike ride after breakfast.   Good day yesterday and got some soldering done safely.  The kit is progressing well.   Not sure what else the day will bring but hopefully some modelling will be done at some point. I must remember to take my camera out when we go and take some photos of the cliff railway that's ben damaged by the cliff fall.  The East Cliff lift has had it's lower station partially covered by a fall of many thousands of tons of sand and I'm not sure where the carriages are.  They might even be underneath the pile.

Dave, I hope that the OT people's work is acted upon swiftly and that you get Is home as soon as possible.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather overcast, not very warm so far today.

My MEP (well one of the seven regional members but he is the one I like ) will be outside the Co op store today. I will go and say hello.

I think some shopping may need to be done.

Tony

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Thankfully, the treatment yesterday was followed only by a brief period of moderate pain when the anaesthetic faded – and of course, the doc was perfectly right in informing me that there could be some pain. I think that while I may never really feel cheerful about seeing the dentist, I may, with the assistance of the one I now frequent, at least arrive at being able to achieve indifference, and I guess that will count for something already!

Dave, just to emphasise this once again – I think there's no reason at all for you to think you might not be doing enough for Is, even while some of your relatives may want to make you feel so. My continued best wishes for you both!

• Like 13

I wonder if they were as noisy as the Zip Wire fly past on our walk yesterday.  First you hear the sound of the wire (they come down quite fast), then the shouts of exhilaration (panic?).  :O  Not for me, anyway.  I'll stick to a pleasant walk, thank you very much, even if it is raining.  Photos here if you haven't seen them (yesterday, previous page).  #123377

Have a good afternoon all.  Take it nice and steady.

Nice to see Polly's pictures of the zip wire, as I am due to go on it on 1st July. Apparently the speed can be as high as 90mph, so I am really looking forward to it. I cannot promise not to shout with either exhilaration or panic!

No 1 son and wife here for a few days, so we had a trip to Cockermouth and Keswick yesterday. A walk near Wasdale beckons for today, as the forecast is looking better than of late.

• Like 15

Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving, missing and depressed, and special thoughts to Dave and Is.

Chris

This will probably be removed by the moderators quite quickly, if it is, I WONT BE OFFENDED. :nono:

Sorry Chris, but I feel that left to the Politicians, they are only in it for their own Gravy Train jobs and pensions paid for by US after they've been kicked out by US at General Elections.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Late night guitar with someone you may have ever missed hearing:

Jimmy Herring (and his band) “Aberdeen”:

Super tone!

G’night, Pete.

Ah, the wonderful tones of the Hammond organ, my favourite!  Every time I hear it I just want to stick the head of the bloke playing it, or failing that my own head down a toilet and keep pulling the chain until it has stopped. It's like fingernails down a blackboard. The Tele sounded lovely though and some great 'guitar faces' too.

Grey, gloomy and miserable again here today. Nothing planned but they say that Mrs HB makes work for idle hands, so I'd better find something that makes me look as though I am busy.

Thoughts to all ailing.

Hello Sapper Hello Sapper. Septic calling Tally Ho.  Tally Ho. Bandits ahead and above me. Bandits ahead and above me. Here I come. Here I come!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry but grey here, lawns had a good soaking yesterday, water butts are full so no more rain needed.

Yikes the referendum raises its head on here, will be so glad when its sorted and yes I think it is up to the the electorate to decide.

On a more brighter note I am expecting not one but two parcels today both railway related, once delivered its off to the shed!

Enjoy your day folks

• Like 13

Morning all. A changeable day weather wise although it does seem to be brightening up slightly.

A trip to Buffers in a while followed by some modelling planned for today.

Dave - I hope that OT in your area are as good as the ones that got things organised for my mum last year.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning.  Peeing it down, I had almost forgotten what rain was!  The garden needs it, the lawns are brown.

Hope Dave can get Is's arrangements sorted quickly, and get her home and comfortable.

Would that be Peeling it down in Pee, or Peeing it down in Peel?

It looks like it is going to rain here again, which might be good for the garden, but I have a marquee that is trying to dry and work around the garden to undertake.

Working in the garden is the official story, unofficially it is working on the garden railway.

Yesterday I had a flurry of telephone calls from local exhibition managers, all wanting me to take my 7/8ths live steam demo line to their shows.

I can see me having to build a proper exhibition line again. (Obergrumpenfuhrer screams 'NO!')

• Like 7

Morning.  Peeing it down, I had almost forgotten what rain was!  The garden needs it, the lawns are brown.

Hope Dave can get Is's arrangements sorted quickly, and get her home and comfortable.

It was raining here earlier and the garden really needs it. Having just planted some pea seeds to replace some which haven't come up, the recent rain has only penetrated about an inch or so into the ground, and it is still very dry under that. However, I must not say any more that we need rain, as we usually get it in excess when it does come, and I will regret asking for rain!

• Like 11

Morning all,

A drizzly day here. 

Main job of the day is to draft a follow-up email to try and tilt the odds in my favour and secure a 2nd interview. 

With a new layout in progress, and in a genre I'm not familiar with, I've been doing quite a bit of reading about train formations etc. Quite interesting how photographic records seem to differ quite radically on occasion from the written record. Hence I shall chance my arm later and purchase a couple of coaches  and cite Rule 1 if I'm wrong. :)

As for the referendum, and avoiding the issues around "in", "out" or shake it all about, I helped my elderly mother cast her postal vote recently. Yes, it had pictogram instructions but it was quite a procedure. Tear of this, turn over that, put your date of birth on this, sign that, fold over, put it in an envelope facing down, make sure the second form has the address facing out, fold the whole into an origami swan,... So, having completed all of this I took the sealed envelope home ready for posting.

The next thing I hear is a muttered curse from my wife who, believing it to be more election bumpf had torn the envelopes open before realising it was a completed postal vote. Sellotape to the rescue but I suspect it may count as a spoiled ballot paper. I now decide whether it was a spoiled paper and cast my vote as my mum would have done, or whether it was ok and vote how I want to vote. Grrr.