The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all.  Fingers crossed for Dave and Is.

I had hoped to sample the new 'Spoons in Huntingdon yesterday but it is still very much under construction.  JDW have an enviable track record of breathing new life into unloved buildings.  In this case a long derelict post office and a former church hall are being linked with some new build.  I'm sure it will be nice when it is finished.  Instead, lunch was taken at the chippie on The Causeway in Godmanchester in the form of haddock and chips.  Yum.  The evening saw the Area Group meet at a member's home.  In all, not a bad day considering.

Today I plan to continue rounding up the specimens for Saturday's demo experience and hope to take delivery of a bush tomato plant.  Before heading east yesterday I ventured into the jungle and picked some strawberries!  This is a bit early and I rather suspect that the crop has peaked too soon.  Those which I gathered were presented to my friend.  Perhaps I shall have some myself today.  Provisional yum.

I've just been googling a Bible quotation.  If events transpire as I fear they may you will know on Friday of next week what the quotation is - and where it may be found, of course.  Until then it is a case of KBO while I marvel at the latest instance of muck-raking by the press.  Whatever happened to not speaking ill of the dead?

Some things remain important.  Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, grieving, supporting, missing and depressed.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Sunny at the moment but yesterday a downburst began pretty much around the same time as the day before, and with my having the exact same shift as well! Must have been THEM… :jester:

Hope all is as well as can be, so, as I want to tidy up a bit before work, generic congrats and commies as proper…

Now to sort/delete/whatever the 2,808 images photographed during the holiday.

Just make sure you are really, really, REALLY sure when to hit the Delete button and when not! :mosking:

• Like 15

Evening all from red dragon land.

Interesting journey down to sis on Tuesday.

Arrived at Bangor station for the 0722 and there were TWO locos in the platform.  One was the Cardiff Arriva Wales train due out before the 0618 Voyager to Euston.  Blockage on the line between Chester and Prestatyn was one official explanation.  Jumped on the first Voyager only to be turfed off at Crewe, where it was terminated.  Twenty minutes to wait on platform 6 (at the last minute diverted to platform 12) for the Voyager that had followed up behind us. 

Twenty minutes is a very useful length of time when you know there's a steam loco due to depart in a short while.  So off I went to the end of platform 11 from where I could see a small puff of smoke and had just long enough to see 46100 Royal Scot move up and down the line.

attachicon.gifIMG_0949a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0950a.JPG

And it got better. 

On the way back home, I passed Braunton, dressed up as Lord Dowding, at Southall

attachicon.gifIMG_0981b.JPG

and Flying Scotsman in steam at Crewe.

attachicon.gifIMG_0984a.JPG

Well, after that, there was no excuse, a special trip out earlier this evening to see The Flying Scotsman at Bangor hauling The Emerald Isle Explorer (Day 1 of 9) on its way back to Euston, although the loco was taken off at Crewe.

attachicon.gifIMG_0999b.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1006a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1006b.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1012a.JPG

And bringing up the rear...

attachicon.gifIMG_1015a.JPG

But I can't go without saying I kinda swooned when an HST sped passed at Southall station in its new GWR livery.

C L A S S - Y .

' Night all.  Nos da. Take care.

LMS, LNER and Southern loco's, all painted in GWR livery.

Ed

• Like 1

We don't have separate money. There are some accounts where Aditi is the first named account holder and others where I am. Most of the time Aditi was happy for me to sort out bills and payments as she was at work and I wasn't for many years. She is very bright and I reckon it would take her about 30 seconds to get up to speed on our finances.

That's what we did and what I thought. In the divorce papers she accused me of being "controlling" with the money!

Ed

• RMweb Gold

We have a joint account. Its had under 100 quid in it for the last 10 - 15 years as we dont really use it.

Otherwise we have our own separate accounts, savings etc and as long as we pay the bill we each agreed to then we can spend our spare cash on what ever we wish. This does mean that she doesnt mind me buying yet more trains (and some times actively encourages me if its one she likes). Last weekend she bought an N scale NS loco. I dint buy anything.

• Like 18

Hope things go to plan today, Dave.

Wet here just now; hope this low pressure shifts to a long-lasting high for the whole country soon (not a referendum euphemism btw) for wall-to-wall sunshine for weeks

Have a good day

Mal

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Somewhat overcast. Rain later is expected.

Robbie has to be taken to the vets today. The last blood sample wasn't suitable for testing, so has to be repeated today. He has got the vet well trained , hugs first and lots of treats afterwards.

Otherwise there may be a couple of parcels for us to sign for, or at least need to open the door for.

I suspect we will be watching the football this afternoon. Aditi is quite keen on watching the England team. Though I have noticed some admiration for France too!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

What started out as a cool, dull grey day in Manchester has turned into a rather sunny day in Kirkby Lonsdale. For some reason there seemed to be less traffic on the roads this morning too, but I'm not complaining about that.

I've just 1 job in Kirkby Lonsdale, then I'm heading off to Ulverston, where I've another 2 jobs, then that's me for the day.

What ever you've got planned for your day, have a good one.

Donw. Thanks for all the info, it's been really helpful.

Dave. Hope all goes well with Is.

Back later.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a somewhat misty and grey Bournemouth.  Apparently we are off to some kind of shoe emporium today, or so I have been informed.  Quite why this has to be done 300 miles from home on holiday I dare not ask.  There is a risk of some football watching this afternoon then I've been promised a home cooked meal so I better behave myself.

Dave, I hope that the day goes well I will be thinking of you and Is.

On another tack I managed to let my membership of the Ravenglass and Eskdale RPS lapse a few years ago and have just rejoined.  A suitable donation to their new loco fund has brught me all the back copies of the magazine that I missed and I am thoroughly enjoying going through 2 per day.  One of the most interesting parts if the '40 years ago' section which is just starting to cover the era when I was an active volunteer.  I may appear at some point as I was used as the measure for the telegraph poles.  Ex BR from Shap they had to be cut to 12' length prior to planting and the measure was two British Standard Policemen in height. 

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Dave - I hope all goes well for Is today and that things are not too trying for you.

Football - doesn't interest me  - and the way things are going it will probably soon cease to be of any interest to England supporters as well due to teh idiot behaviour in Lille yesterday (how can anyone be that thick?).  As for unsolicited 'phone calls I have several stock responses, e.g.

'How are you today?'    -   ' Alright until you called, bye bye.'

'This is Micrsoft support, I'm calling about the problem with your Windows computer'    -   various ranging from 'Idiot, get lost' to ' Remarkable, when are you delivering it?'

'My name is John (others are available) and I'm calling about your recent car accident'   -  (response from Mrs Stationmaster)  'Your name is no more John than mine and what accident as I can't even drive'

'Good morning sir, I'm concerned that when your colleague called my wife just now you were very rude to him.  Don't you realise we can help you reclaim money you are entitled to?'  - 'You're talking nonsense'

'Don't you want us to help you reclaim the money you are owed?'  - 'You're another time waster talking rubbish and just like your colleague you can go forth and urinate' (or words to that effect).

Meanwhile it isn't raining yet, as it's faux Friday we're off to Waitrose and in search of cheaper diesel (the latter is not hard compared with the price here) and I might stop briefly enroute to look at some ohle.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Dave, I hope Is makes it home today at last. Weather here is as Tony said but a bit sticky now, at least no sign of the high pollen that was predicted, well for myself anyway. My hay fever seems to be over by now possibly because it seems to be tree pollen, which is earlier than grass pollen is the main cause. Off to do a bit of shopping, be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning, need to catch up as yesterday was a garden day all day, lawns mowed, edges done, hedges trimmed, veg plot attended to etc.

Everything seems to be growing at a rate of knots at the moment.

Hope your day goes ok Dave.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Cold sunny has departed in favour of colder rainy.  Eight hours outdoors starting at 4.20am in 3C is no longer attractive but it pays the bills.

Sister's birthday.  Flowers sent with an added message of appreciation for all she continues to do for my folks.  Father still very ill and barely managing to eat.  Considered unsustainable in the medium term but still under medical investigation.

Special thanks to Baz for his regular good wishes.  Special thoughts to Dave and Is yet again in the hope that things do turn out for the best swiftly.

'How are you today?'    -   ' Alright until you called, bye bye.'

'This is Micrsoft support, I'm calling about the problem with your Windows computer'    -   various ranging from 'Idiot, get lost' to ' Remarkable, when are you delivering it?'

'My name is John (others are available) and I'm calling about your recent car accident'   -  (response from Mrs Stationmaster)  'Your name is no more John than mine and what accident as I can't even drive'

'Good morning sir, I'm concerned that when your colleague called my wife just now you were very rude to him.  Don't you realise we can help you reclaim money you are entitled to?'  - 'You're talking nonsense'

'Don't you want us to help you reclaim the money you are owed?'  - 'You're another time waster talking rubbish and just like your colleague you can go forth and urinate' (or words to that effect).

These things respond to voice prompts.  If you answer the phone at all (and with caller number display it's easy to avoid these calls as they usually say "Incoming Call" or show an unrecognised number) just stay silent until the caller speaks first.  Often the computer their end will simply disconnect it.  We have become conditioned to pick up the thing and say "Hello" straight away which triggers the response.

More than once we have been targetted, despite being on the Do Not Call Register, and despite being unlisted.  That proves one thing - someone somewhere has sold our details to a third party which is also unlawful.  Notwithstanding that the caller has asked "May I speak with Mr W********y please?"  "Sorry there is no-one by that name here" (I'm Mr S********).  "OK when can I speak with Mr. W?"  Assuming they mean SWMBO's late father my response is then that "Mr. W. is deceased".  "OK - so when will he be available to speak with? .......................... "

Cockwombles is too good a word.

Enjoy what you do.

Good morning,

Just spending time contemplating if Southern Fail will get me to the next station down the line for my meeting with Professor Gastroenterologist.

Morning all.

These things respond to voice prompts.  If you answer the phone at all (and with caller number display it's easy to avoid these calls as they usually say "Incoming Call" or show an unrecognised number) just stay silent until the caller speaks first.  Often the computer their end will simply disconnect it.  We have become conditioned to pick up the thing and say "Hello" straight away which triggers the response.

At home, I always let an unidentified caller take the lead to speak first. At work, it's not so simple!

More than once we have been targetted, despite being on the Do Not Call Register, and despite being unlisted.  That proves one thing - someone somewhere has sold our details to a third party which is also unlawful.  Notwithstanding that the caller has asked "May I speak with Mr W********y please?"  "Sorry there is no-one by that name here" (I'm Mr S********).  "OK when can I speak with Mr. W?"  Assuming they mean SWMBO's late father my response is then that "Mr. W. is deceased".  "OK - so when will he be available to speak with? .......................... "

Whilst most of my colleagues respond to the live person sales call, I tend to ask the caller first if this is a cold sales call then, if they answer 'yes' (or variations thereof), if they've heard of the TPS (Telephone Preference Service) or Do Not Call Register, as it referred to above. If they have, they usually hang up directly. If they have not, I inform them that we have registered. (One caller, who had not heard of TPS, had the cheek to say 'well it hasn't done you much good then!)

The TPS website contains clear instructions on how to report these calls. I usually get all the details required without saying that I shall be reporting this rather on the basis that '"I'll get someone to call you back"! Don't get many repeat offenders!

• Like 9

Morning all. Back from an eight day break, during the first day my chromebook decided not to charge up. Don't know what the problem is, the charger or the charging port on the chromebook. So not up to speed with eight days worth of postings here, can't chat for too long. Best wishes to those ailing. Stay safe all. 

• Like 9

Late on parade today. I took the opportunity of some decent weather at the start of the day to have a long swim followed by a walk.

Polly - Some excellent photos. It's good to see some proper locos working.

Dave - I hope that everything goes to plan today.

What the rest of the say will bring, we'll see.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

We  get those calls asking to speak to someone yet when you say there is no one of that name here they try to get you to talk about whatever it is. I presume this gets round the TPS because they can claim they were calling someone else and got a wrong number.

Perhaps the answer is to get one of those railaymen's whistles. Say little but when they start their spiel blow the whistle hard right next to the phone obviously you need to listen to enough to know it wasn't a genuine call

Don

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Most of our money and property etc. is in joint names. The exception is an account in Marion's name for tax reasons and some Granny bonds that can only be in one name. It makes it much easier and if anything happened to me Marion will have less to sort out. The new rules and allowances for interest earned on savings make it much more convenient to have all the money  together. It does mean she can see what I have spent on trains but that hasn't been a problem. One friend at the Train club said he was trying to get his wife to add her pension into the communal account as currently all the bills are coming out of his pension while her pension is regarded as her spending money.

Don

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

Safely home from manic Paris. What with political marches by strikers and a zillion footie fans the city was even more heaving than usual. Road closures and a huge number of police everywhere, including convoys of vans and motorcycles, causing traffic to be at a crawl.

In truth, Sherry was disappointed with her daughter, seeing her for the first time in 5 years, despite regular phone/text/email contact. Jacqui is clearly obsessed with her son, now 8 years old, very bright but almost certainly well up the spectrum, and all conversations over two lengthy meals seemed to gravitate back to him. He had all the mannerisms of a wonderfully spoilt brat. Husband Paul was good fun, though, but even he seems to feel the pinch, has little say, it seems, in their son's upbringing. I do not feel Sherry will be heading to Oz on a visit any time soon.

But the most exciting thing happened as we awaited our train at Montparnasse. Suddenly security people were taping off part of the concourse towards the platform ends. All rather unrehearsed, police dogs in view, much rushing about. Then there was a loud bang, which I interpreted as a controlled explosion - probably vaporising someone's lost cut lunch. Event over.

We caught the 1106 train. The next would have been 1806. They should be every two hours. The strike is still affecting services here and there.

• Like 1

Hoping Dave and Is have smooth sailing through the day...

BIN morning and I get the dubious pleasure as I'm "home" :)

Yesterday was informed we've finally determined where the office will move to - been an ongoing discussion for about 6 months. The building we are currently in is being "repurposed", which is commercial real-estate property talk related to older buildings in cities here for, "were going to turn it into luxury condominiums and make a sh!t load of money"!

I don't care either way, and as the new building we'll be in is;

1) A couple of blocks closer to the company HQ that is our sole consultancy focus

2) Ditto #1 for being therefore closer to the folks I have lunch with when I'm in the office

3) Will be on a higher floor with some nice views

4) Is about the same distance (probably slightly closer) to the parking ramp I already use so no need to hunt for new parking

5) MOST IMPORTANTLY, I'm destined for one of the first choices of space as I have been around longer AND frequent the office more than most :locomotive:

Scheduled to be our new office July 5th.

Nothing else of note from yesterday...

Today, hopefully, a package or two will arrive, details if and when it happens.

Weather here continues to be completely varied, sun and rain mixed throughout the day yesterday, early high humidity blown away by afternoon cooling and moderate winds preceding a couple of storms.

Right now overcast and 18 then clearing later with a high of 26, we'll see.

Enjoy BIN day.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 18

TT isn't just about bikes, the Manx Electric Railway runs late to get fans to and from the pubs.  There is a pub on Laxey station as it happens....handy.  Atmospheric photos taken by my mate Big Steve, as I didn't have my camera.

attachicon.gif1.JPG

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Been in said pub a few years ago now during TT week. Having just ordered another round, the last tram back to Douglas was spotted coming around the headland. "Don't gulp your beer boys" we were told. "Take it on the tram and leave the empty glasses on there. They will come back here".  Now there's a friendly line of thought. No pun intended.

• Like 18

We  get those calls asking to speak to someone yet when you say there is no one of that name here they try to get you to talk about whatever it is. I presume this gets round the TPS because they can claim they were calling someone else and got a wrong number.

Perhaps the answer is to get one of those railaymen's whistles. Say little but when they start their spiel blow the whistle hard right next to the phone obviously you need to listen to enough to know it wasn't a genuine call

Don

ACME thunderer, I have one beside me as I type .....

I normally let the answerphone sort out the nuisance calls, but is I'm caught when expecting a call then I have two standard answers; "I already have double glazing on all my Windows" and "Yes, I'm so glad you rang me about my accident because you've had my paperwork for a month and haven't replied yet". Both are off their script and the conversation is terminated.

They can over-ride the TPS if they have made previous contact, even if it as brief as "Have you considered solar panels?" "No." I made it clear to one organisation that they were never to ring me again, or else ..... When they did, I could and did report them to the TPS.

So, we were winning a football match but it will all go wrong as usual .....

Bill

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad I'm not a fanatical follower of the large round ball game, after this afternoon's slightly disappointing result.

Monday evening will be interesting, so I think I'll book a table for a meal at a pub that does not have a television!

• Like 4