RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Interesting point about Rutgers is that the University predates the USA itself by ten years.....and is still not the oldest one here. It’s one of nine original “Colonial Colleges”.

DD I deleted the bit about our windfall as it didn’t seem appropriate, somehow. I can advise that some monies were invested (without knowing their owner) in 1999 in a very high yielding a/c until ownership was established.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 12

DD I deleted the bit about our windfall as it didn’t seem appropriate, somehow. I can advise that some monies were invested (without knowing their owner) in 1999 in a very high yielding a/c until ownership was established.

I'd be shouting it from the rooftops!

That'll buy a few plectrums.

Hope it all works out for you.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Not raining at the moment but that probably won't last.

Today's main event is a certain rugby match. England will have to play their hearts out and then some because I feel the Aussies will be looking for revenge. However I live in hope!

Have a good one,

Bob.

Mornin' all,

Best regards to those that ail

Overcast mild dry kick off in The Moorlands.....a few beer calories burnt around the weekend circuit.

The canalside hoist at Cheddleton is now complete with new timber boom....

post-7795-0-15647600-1466237098.jpg

In theory Is will move to the house at around 10am but I'm prepared for a call to say that she is too poorly to move

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

• RMweb Premium

No cricket today..waterlogged pitch.

Now last year I would be contacting other people agues for a game..but today I shall do some modelling. Why? Seems like I have lost my appetite for cricket. And no one in the ECB ACO has asked why.

Dave, hope the move goes ok and that you and Is can spend some time together in N your own home.

Baz

Morning all,

Nothing but bad news on the job hunting front.

Didn't make the short list for one post - it was a bit of a long shot, so every best wish to those candidates going through. 

Not so impressed by the academic organisation that interviewed me back in April. Having chased and chased to see if I'd made it to 2nd interview I finally got an answer:

"The panel couldn't decide which candidates to call forward, so they have decided to leave both posts unfilled. They decided this about a month ago but didn't tell anyone."

Well, a couple of observations on that then. Having trawled the UK and presumably the whole of Europe they couldn't find any person to fit their spec. How fussy is that! 

And if leaving the posts empty is better than having to compromise a bit, did they really need to have the posts in the first place. Ergo, do they need a team leader to manage two people that don't exist. I'm thinking academia is converging with the Civil Service of Sir Humphry's world.   

Onwards and upwards. Starting from scratch again and getting more applications in. 

• RMweb Premium

AndyB, from my dealings with Academe the civil service is miles behind them in the curious way they do business.

Don't despair keep applying and interviewing!

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I do hope Is makes it home today without any problems. AndyB, best of luck with your job hunting, I suspect someone will be getting a bonus/payrise for saving the organisation the cost of two salaries. Not much to do today so I'm off to do it, be back later.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

The sun is shining and it's not raining, but it's a Saturday morning, so what's going on?

Late up this morning, but we have a guest with us, our youngest granddaughter stopped over last night. I'm just off to pick up her older sister who'll join her here for the rest of the day, I'll take them home late afternoon. After that No 2 son and his fiancée will be popping round to see us. They are treating us to an Indian takeaway as a thank you for helping him with his kitchen extractor fan a couple of weeks ago.

Like John (two sugars) I intend to use mini servos with MERG units. I'll use servos on the scenic sections and SEEP on the storage yard. I've built one of the MERG kits (1 kit which will drive 4 servos) and it works very well, so I've been stock pilling drive kits and servos for when I start the build.

Enjoy you day. Back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Andyb. Good luck in job hunting.

Dave. Hope Is is able to come home today.

Melt down on Southern again tonight with many struggling to get home. Even our train was late but only five minutes and draft beer from the bar plus plenty of seats so not complaining

More on the Today programme this morning about Govia/Southern with some clips from a passenger demo at Brighton this week. One of the comments was that Southern doesn't have enough drivers for its services in the first place. I expect that you know anyway, but TfL wants to take control of a large part of the Southern franchise - not as far south as Brighton, obvs, so although this won't happen overnight hope that something good can be sorted for passengers soon.

Yes it is cool for this time of year - we switch off our central heating in May (used to be the ed of April) and last night we were discussing switching it on again - we didn't... yet.

Hope you all have a good day - and that Is is able to travel, Dave.

Mal

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all.

Please feel free to enjoy your weekend as you see fit.  Unlawful and unreasonable acts excepted.

It's Saturday evening as I write having just completed what is universally regarded as the worst shift on our roster.  9 - 5 might seem a good deal but it requires standing in one spot for all of those eight hours (bar the half-hour meal break) supervising a line of ticket barriers which are so little used on weekends that last time around I actually filmed a tumbleweed blowing through the subway!  Underground, surrounded by mostly plain white tiles and with no seat, no book, no company and for the most part no passengers either.  That makes the time-and-a-half well earned and likewise the large glass of falling-down water I have just enjoyed over dinner.

Things improve tomorrow.  Double time, only 6 hours 45 minutes and i'm in the daylight!

Best wishes to all.  

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the comments about it being cool for the time of year, we never switch our central heating OFF, we just rely on the stat to keep it off. This morning it came ON.

WTF it's June!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Dave I hope thing run the right way for Is today and that you'll be able to settle into better time with her at home.

Pete I wouldn't worry about saying anything about emerging sums of money - apart from telling us where the high interest/growth places are!  (Had a bank statement the other day for a deposit account, just over 2 quid accumulated interest over a year on a deposit of £1,000;  emerging National Savings amounts can be reinvested they are telling us - with an interest rate of 0.01% plus index linking to the rate of inflation.  So well done you.

Somewhat dark and cloudy outside but promised to get a bit brighter later - we will see.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 10

Up late this morning - turned the alarms off - Sandy says I must have needed the sleep. She's probably right, as always. (Had to say that)

Hopes for Dave and Is that there'll be some resolution.

Looking over the weather for the last week I note that out small town recoded the highest rainfall in the country on and of the says - 43mm. Now I know scientifically why the ground goes squelch when I walk on it.

This weekend it's consolidation - whatever that means

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Richard - I had a spring go on the Volvo at the start of the year in the same manner. Apparently cold weather and speed humps causes stress fractures...

Cost me about £900 in the end, I had all the front suspension on both sides replaced to be safe. A bit of a sod. But on the other hand it didn't go on an Autoroute at 130km/h, which would have been a bit final, as the broken spring usually shreds the tyre pretty instantly. But by all accounts most go in the same circs as yours and mine.

This is not a political dig, but since the powerhouse in Brussels allegedly made the steel industry change the chemical make up of spring steel, failures are more common.

I've now put six springs onto the Astra: Four at the front and two at the back.

The front springs seem to last about 5 years before going.  It's not a mileage thing because the Astra has done less than 10k miles over the last three years!

With the Macpherson strut suspension on the front end, the  remains of the spring usually remains between the top and bottom retainers.

Of the latest pair, one was a clean break and it came out in two bits, but with the other the break was half way down the spring and the two parts ate totally intertwined, and I cannot get them apart!

I suppose I'm lucky in that the PH and I can do most things to repair vehicles, although we do struggle with the intricacies of the electronic side.

I used to struggle to get some of the more awkwardly placed bolts and nuts apart, but the acquisition of a big compressor and better air tools have generally abolished the struggles of yore.

Today, I must make a fixture to hold some timber parts for repetitive cutting and drilling.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has returned after spending her night in the cells, and has gone straight to bed.

I've warned the PH against running my old army riot baton along the bars of the fence, although I have offered her a bucket so that she can 'slop out' more authentically.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with the comments about it being cool for the time of year, we never switch our central heating OFF, we just rely on the stat to keep it off. This morning it came ON.

WTF it's June!

That could be wasting you a bit of money unless the stat is set low. If the Bedroom has a themostatic valve set fairly low the heating could be coming on in the night just warming the rads through but you could be unaware of that because your rad is shut off by the thermostat. Obviously it soon switches off but you have wasted gas heating the water in the boiler and pipes as well as the bit in the rads. If you turn the stat down to below what you would have it normally during the winter say 15deg it may not come on at all, if left at 20deg  it may well come on briefly at night. 

Don

That could be wasting you a bit of money unless the stat is set low. If the Bedroom has a themostatic valve set fairly low the heating could be coming on in the night just warming the rads through but you could be unaware of that because your rad is shut off by the thermostat. Obviously it soon switches off but you have wasted gas heating the water in the boiler and pipes as well as the bit in the rads. If you turn the stat down to below what you would have it normally during the winter say 15deg it may not come on at all, if left at 20deg  it may well come on briefly at night. 

Don

Depends on how the stat is set up. Mine stays in control 24/7 but has 6 time periods wherein I have set the temperatures accordingly. I am not aware that mine has caused warming overnight!

I think broken springs are down to "traffic calming" bumps and pot holes. Most A-roads and motorways are relatively free of both of these and therefore the broken springs are not really mileage-related. I have not yet seen any articles in the Mail or the Express blaming them on the EU, so that cannot be true!

Ed

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

....they're not estranged Stewart and have been a regular part of our time together, however, they are no more significant than her family from her first marriage or her many friends.

Dave

Sorry Dave, assumptions totally incorrect, and misread the situation a bit.  Sincere apologies

• RMweb Gold

The AA suggests a combination of lighter thinner springs and wide tyres makes the damage more serious. However their research shows regional differences. Northern Europe consistently shows an increase in spring failure. Southern Europe does not. They suggest corrosion due to salt is a major contributing factor.

Perhaps the mud on my car protects it.

• Like 3