The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

When I set off for work this morning I must have been on autopilot, because I didn't take my proposed detour, not realising my mistake until I was on the slip road, doh. Anyway, low and behold, there were no holdups at all, I got into Lancaster justbafter 9:00. Given the current ambient temperature it wasn't long before I put the kettle on, mmmm nice warm tea. It's bl00dy cold here at the moment you'd never think it was summer.

I have to agree with killybegs about supermarkets rearranging their shelves, I believe it's to stop shoppers just buying what they want. It makes them wander around LOOKING and hopefully buying more than they went in for, I find it very frustrating personally.

Back later

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I detected a few spots of rain this morning when I went to fetch the milk in but that appears to be it. I was hoping for a bit of rain as the fencing contractor had set the posts in dry mix and its yet to set as the surrounding soil is itself bone dry. Sorry to hear of fellow ER's under the weather so a general 'Get well soon' to all. Not a lot to do today except for a bit of shopping and talking of supermarkets, the gardening stuff has now been displaced by the back to school stuff, and that from the start of the school holidays. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Wow, a fencing contractor who doesn't use Postcrete (or maybe he was saving on water?).

Fortunately when Tesco last reorganised it's shelves the Good Doctor was tasked with producing charts for the staff to help them find stuff - so we knew where stuff was going before it was moved tehehe (still can't find the kidney beans tho' - not that they've moved for weeks).

Herself is off to her folicle tender to 'have her hair done' - dunno quite what that means  but it doesn't arf cost.

Have a  good day everybody

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Mornin' all

A slow start for us, after two busy days. 700 km is quite a lot in that time for me. The visits went well. The house in Bretagne is lovely - 6 decent bedrooms, 4 bathrooms. Very rural, just like here. And the welcome was better than expected. Sherry's former classmate seemed to be her old self, in contrast to other recent meetings when she has seemed very down. It was good to see her brother Jim, although in his early 70s he seems fragile and a bit compromised by life. He went to Cambridge, but has always been rather 'unusual', and needs looking after. Delighted to find that a half-hour chat about our skooldays seemed to lift him a bit. The bbq was great, putting a side on the gazebo cut out a lot of the chilly breeze, and the fizz flowed. We slept well.

Then we were off to Normandie, probably not far from Smiffy, for lunch with a very distant view of Mont St Michel. Carole and Laurie were welcoming, but he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's, and that isn't fun. Home at 20.00 and I was a mite tired.

In our absence we learn that a drought has been declared in Sarthe.

WhatsApp? We use it daily. Never had a rogue message yet. If someone asks you to call, just click the phone symbol at the top. It was in overdrive last night, as Alison's Renault had overheated yet again in the course of her 250 km drive to her lover's place. She had water with her, sought my views on opening the radiator cap. Yes, she had brought a towel for the purpose. All went well, two litres was added and she and her three sons made it to the Vendée.

Karen's hip experience does sound distressing, not least as Sherry is due for a replacement. Apparently her intended surgeon had one complaint by a patient whose new hip was not right. On enquiry, fairly soon after the op, she had put her foot up on the side of the bath to paint her toenails...... I hope the second time around Karen gets the liberation she deserves at such a young age.

Fingers crossed, Sherry's former colleague Ann may visit us for a week, arriving by train on Sunday evening. A divorcee who is a little overprotective of her offspring, she is having a tough time with daughter Amy, 27, who lives at home and now has a baby. Relations with the infant's father are cordial at best. A week here before returning to skool will be good for her. I am not used to catering for vegetarians, so some innovation is called for.

Best wishes to those with ailments or ailing pets. Particularly sorry to hear CB has had to head for home early.

• Like 17

Do the people that re-organise supermarket shelf placements also organise tv advertising? There are some channels on tv where the adverts are blatantly, G-Tech Air Ram and children needing sponsorship in Central Africa. This occurs time after time. Sometimes there are 3 consecutive different G-Tech ads in one session.

Morning all

Just spotted this in The Guardian about a judge's remarks to a rather nasty-looking and mouthy defendent... please don't read if offended by bad language

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/10/judge-defendant-john-hennigan-exchange-insults-chelmsford-court

I rather liked it!

Have a good day

Mal

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Do they re-arrange stuff on the on-line supermarkets? I have never shopped in this way.

Ed

Actually they do, sort of, as they move the order of the items on the pages from time to time, and sometimes I find things near the top of my favourites list, and sometimes nearer the bottom.

• RMweb Premium

Do the people that re-organise supermarket shelf placements also organise tv advertising? There are some channels on tv where the adverts are blatantly, G-Tech Air Ram and children needing sponsorship in Central Africa. This occurs time after time. Sometimes there are 3 consecutive different G-Tech ads in one session.

It's all money, I'm afraid.

Money buys space on supermarket shelves and money buys airtime to advertise.  If you want to know why there's a whole aisle of soft drinks (less healthy) compared with the small section given over to natural juices (healthy) ask the advertising executives about their budgets not the supermarket managers about their floorplans.

Morning all

Just spotted this in The Guardian about a judge's remarks to a rather nasty-looking and mouthy defendent... please don't read if offended by bad language

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/10/judge-defendant-john-hennigan-exchange-insults-chelmsford-court

I rather liked it!

Have a good day

Mal

I was just reading that on another site. Excellent responses from the judge although she has subsequently apologised.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All (just)

Wet all night here, and still very overcast indeed.  As usual, posts all read and rated, and wishes to those ailing.  This of course includes the companion animals which are also ailing - mine included, as she's still itching something dreadful with these harvest mites - according to our vet, one of the worst years for them since he started his practice. 

I'm off to Lancaster soon to pick up 30747's niece who visits amost every year, but at least this year she's just coming from the South coast, and not from Seattle as she was the last time.  Funny how much tidying is needed to "make the place look nice", and I also got the job of chief cook, so a cottage pie today, roast dinner tomorrow, sausages on Saturday, and not sure what else to do - but Colin brought the whole lot in his market street van for us last night,   £1 for delivery is a lot cheaper than the petrol to even the nearest Morrisons supermarket - which was changed around last year, and totally threw me when I went in there for a few bits and pieces, and when I asked if they had a map of the new layout, they said that they had run out as it had been changed for five months!

Brian - where abouts in Lancaster are you working?  And yes it's cold here.

Try to look in later.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I have been doing techy stuff this morning. I ordered some RAM for my big PC last night and thought I may as well see how easy it was to get inside the case. It was easy, no screwdrivers required. access to the RAM sockets wont even require any skin loss from knuckles either.

Just need to wait for the  memory to arrive now, tomorrow probably, as I ordered about midnight!

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

I rather liked it!

Have a good day

Mal

I still think her best line was 'Take him down'.

• RMweb Gold

..........she has subsequently apologised.

But still getting lots of support on the intersocialwebbynet thingy.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 8

Morning all

I rather liked it!

Have a good day

Mal

I think she was wrong to stoop to his level.

Ed

Good evening from Estuary land. Neil, With any leg or hip problems a people carrier is a must for ease of getting in or out. Roundhouse, your picture reminded me of when I used to travel to work by bus long ago, when the bus to work was an RT type with the open rear platform. There was a school near to where I worked and of a morning the bus was packed with kids going to school. One morning a lad of about 13 sat on the offside lengthways seat over the back wheel with his bag on the seat beside him. The conductor asked him to move his bag as some passengers were standing, the answer was "Why should I". The conductor then demonstrated why he should have moved his bag by grabbing said bag and throwing it off the platform of the moving bus. :jester:  With that its goodnight all.

Person on a Voyager sans ticket says to TM "you cant touch me it's assault" TM picks up his bag and threw  it off the train "that isn't" he replied-class!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Brian - where abouts in Lancaster are you working?  And yes it's cold here.

Whitelund and Westgate and still wet!

• RMweb Gold

ChrisF, you're not alone in cursing supermarkets that relocate items. Beth emerged from Asda on Tuesday cursing them for the same thing, why had they moved the chicken to opposite the cheese counter and the fresh soup was now where the chicken had been.

The visually impaired get really annoyed about this as well.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

I rather liked it!

Have a good day

Mal

The sort of person that Mrs W calls a knuckle dragger, quite apt I think!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I think she was wrong to stoop to his level.

Ed

My mother used to get obscene telephone calls from someone who she described as having a "posh" accent. This was before caller ID. She used to just put the phone down but on one occasion replied "and the same to you". The caller said "How dare you speak to me like that", and never rang again!

POE day for me as I'm on Long Island and dungeon dwelling. Well, "sort of POE", leaving here around 1330 for my JFK plane and if I'm lucky may be home around 1900 (2000 accounting for the time change)!

Another day of torture in the dungeon yesterday. Only real event was giving a presentation to some senior execs who were impressed and overjoyed at the features I've been building, and promptly sentenced me to additional dungeon duty at least through the end of September - and most probably a lot longer!

26 partly sunny and really humid driving in, expected to reach 31 and tropical best I can tell. At least no sight of approaching sigmet so we should get out on time - famous last words!

Have a good day everyone :sungum:

Edited by Ian Abel