The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I am packed ready for tomorrow's trip to the northwest as I have now learned to call Chester. If I have forgotten anything it doesn't matter too much as there seem to be shops there.

I have never been but Aditi has. We will be meeting my cousin there which will be nice. Cousin Sharon knows where all the shops are!

Matthew rang tonight. He has arranged three viewings next week for possible places in Utrecht to stay after Christmas. He had to deal with a Mr Angry type person at the Polish charity he helps out at. Matthew gave him coffee and a biscuit until the person he needed to see was available. Matthew must get his social skills from his mother.

Goodnight all.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a text from our daughter earlier this evening. Her youngest daughter Evie, was sat on the sofa singing......

Freeeeeeeee Nelson Nutella.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

Highly likely. Water pressure in the UK is usually around 10 meters head - which equates to 1 bar.  At least, that is what the water companies aim to provide.  Of course, this can vary based on terrain, and how close you are to a pumping station.

My water pressure at home is usually around 5 bar.

The UK has water pressure now??? :O  The header-tank system usually ensures that you have just enough gravity-fed pressure for water to emerge though nothing like enough for a decent shower.  No idea what the pressure is here but it's mains pressure up to the meter then still quite a decent pressure to the taps.  No header tanks involved.  The water comes direct from the mains.  Turn the shower on full and the daily grime is pressure-washed away in seconds :D

Coughing for Cornwall today.  Cold slowly settling into the chest.  Two days in bed has helped but I've lost two days-worth of doing Stuff In Connection With Coming Home.  Ah well.

Night all.

The UK has water pressure now??? :O  The header-tank system usually ensures that you have just enough gravity-fed pressure for water to emerge though nothing like enough for a decent shower.  No idea what the pressure is here but it's mains pressure up to the meter then still quite a decent pressure to the taps.  No header tanks involved.  The water comes direct from the mains.  Turn the shower on full and the daily grime is pressure-washed away in seconds :D

Coughing for Cornwall today.  Cold slowly settling into the chest.  Two days in bed has helped but I've lost two days-worth of doing Stuff In Connection With Coming Home.  Ah well.

Night all.

Dont know how long you have been out of Blighty Rick but we have indoor toilets now as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dont know how long you have been out of Blighty Rick but we have indoor toilets now as well.

Sometimes!  AND soft paper on a good day ;)  No more Bronco / Izal pile-killing "tissue" thank goodness.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but we don't have the deadly spiders living in toilet bowls.

Oh but you should.  They provide all manner of entertainment!

Actually we don't have them this far south.  Not in the toilet bowls anyway.  Outside in the shed and around the compost bins meaning you never ever indulge in the G-word ungloved.

Good morning one and all

Getting to London today could be fun, depending on whether the railway has been mended at Luton.  It will be fun trying and the prospect of lunching with certain others is enticing.  Bill, I've done some sums to facilitate our discussion.  Tomorrow is my visit to Tolworth Showtrain, for which an early start may mean missing my visit here.  I'm sorry that a previous engagement prevents me attending on Sunday.  Tonight I had hoped to go to the Stevenage MRC event at Datchworth but, hey ho, can't be everywhere [fun trying though].

My bath awaits.  Best wishes to the lonely and depressed, to all travellers [especially those braving the Govia empire] and to the ailing, recovering, supporting, grieving and missing.

Chris

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, an ER today as I woke early and couldn't get back to sleep.  I've got to leave the house in just less than an hour to catch my train to London for the ER's meeting so gave up the struggle and came downstairs.   Breakfast is about to be consumed and the cats are complaining that I haven't yet fed them.

I'm looking forward to today and wonder what the scene outside the PoS will look like at 11.58 or thereabout with a crowd of thirsty ER's knocking on the door demanding admission.  Last time I went I though I was outside our village post office on Giro morning.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Just seen that Leonard Cohen has died.  Sad news about a great musician.  Not to everyone's taste but I loved his music. I first heard his work when I was livingly in London aged 18. He will be sadly missed.

Jamie

Morning All,

It is rather dark here this morning, but getting light slowly.  It is also a little warmer this morning, and has been raining.

For those ERs meeting at the show at the weekend - Enjoy!  Sorry I can't be there as well.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Goeorge Clooney is full of prunes!

THIS is a coffee machine

attachicon.gifDSCN3085.JPG

and, of course, you have to buy green beans and roast them yourself.

(It actually does make quite a difference - or maybe I'm just a coffee snob :)  )

If You are susceptible to Malignant Hyperpyrexia under Anaesthesia  ( and getting more reactive)

then this is your coffee machine. Normally from a jar

post-15969-0-36641900-1478846943.jpg

Edited by TheQ

This is interesting. Here is one interpretation of how the Electoral College is supposed to work. Oh, and now there is a petition. It's a long-shot, but you never know.:

"On December 19, the Electors of the Electoral College will cast their ballots. If they all vote the way their states voted, Donald Trump will win. However, they can vote for Hillary Clinton if they choose. Even in states where that is not allowed, their vote would still be counted, they would simply pay a small fine - which we can be sure Clinton supporters will be glad to pay!

We are calling on the Electors to ignore their states' votes and cast their ballots for Secretary Clinton. Why?

Mr. Trump is unfit to serve. His scapegoating of so many Americans, and his impulsivity, bullying, lying, admitted history of sexual assault, and utter lack of experience make him a danger to the Republic.

Secretary Clinton WON THE POPULAR VOTE and should be President.

Hillary won the popular vote. The only reason Trump "won" is because of the Electoral College.

But the Electoral College can actually give the White House to either candidate. So why not use this most undemocratic of our institutions to ensure a democratic result?

SHE WON THE POPULAR VOTE.

There is no reason Trump should be President.

"It's the 'People's Will'"

No. She won the popular vote.

"Our system of government under our Constitution says he wins"

No. Our Constitution says the Electors choose.

"Too many states prohibit 'Faithless Electors'"

24 states bind electors. If electors vote against their party, they usually pay a fine. And people get mad. But they can vote however they want and there is no legal means to stop them in most states."

• RMweb Premium

Night all.

With the advent of combi boilers, less and less people have header tanks, and the mains pressure here meant that when we had a header tank before it didn't always fill. With just the two of us no problem, but when we had guests the Header tank would often run out.

I think I've caught your cough.... :beee:

Good morning all. My apologies for being away from these pages for the last few days. Please accept my generic greetings, congrats and commiserations as appropriate. Things have been hectic this last few days as the final preparations for our exhibition are now in full swing. These preparations need to be combined with the usual round of school planning and marking and home life. None has gone smoothly. One member of staff is not pulling their weight at present, leaving me to do much more and I have to admit, as a teacher, I am finding the going very tough. When other people's lack of effort directly impacts on my own effectiveness it is hard to take.

This week has also been a busy week of Avon deliveries. As always I have found myself helping Sarah out with that. Two hours were spent on Monday evening delivering her more far flung orders and and a further hour was lost on Wednesday evening delivering further orders whilst I was out picking up the road signs for the show. Last night I spent another hour on the final orders. You would think that this would be appreciated, but Sarah's mood is quite down again. I know she does not like it when I am working all hours God sends, so hopefully once the show is out of the way things will improve. I am certainly hoping for more sleep. Burning the midnight oil is an accurate description at the moment. I think I have averaged about five hours kip per night this last week.

Anyway I should stop burdening you all with my moaning. At least I have woken up to face another day. That is more than can be said for one of my exhibitors. On Monday evening I received a telephone call informing me that he would not be attending with his layout after passing away on Sunday night. Tragic news and puts things into perspective. He was such a lovely, friendly and helpful chap who always had time for others and was happy to let the youngsters work his layout at a show. My thoughts rest firmly with his family and friends right now.

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, may your cough be eased Rick.

Tea is being drunk then off to see the relaunched Moreasons at Kirkstall. It's new, less than logical ordering of shelves and aisles is very similar to the tessscos in Hull. Obviously designed by a non shopping consultant or three.

I may, at last, have decided on a plan for the layout to fill my railway room. Not sure when I can get started though.

Have a nice day.

Baz

This is interesting. Here is one interpretation of how the Electoral College is supposed to work. Oh, and now there is a petition. It's a long-shot, but you never know.:

"On December 19, the Electors of the Electoral College will cast their ballots. If they all vote the way their states voted, Donald Trump will win. However, they can vote for Hillary Clinton if they choose. Even in states where that is not allowed, their vote would still be counted, they would simply pay a small fine - which we can be sure Clinton supporters will be glad to pay!

We are calling on the Electors to ignore their states' votes and cast their ballots for Secretary Clinton. Why?

Mr. Trump is unfit to serve. His scapegoating of so many Americans, and his impulsivity, bullying, lying, admitted history of sexual assault, and utter lack of experience make him a danger to the Republic.

Secretary Clinton WON THE POPULAR VOTE and should be President.

Hillary won the popular vote. The only reason Trump "won" is because of the Electoral College.

But the Electoral College can actually give the White House to either candidate. So why not use this most undemocratic of our institutions to ensure a democratic result?

SHE WON THE POPULAR VOTE.

There is no reason Trump should be President.

"It's the 'People's Will'"

No. She won the popular vote.

"Our system of government under our Constitution says he wins"

No. Our Constitution says the Electors choose.

"Too many states prohibit 'Faithless Electors'"

24 states bind electors. If electors vote against their party, they usually pay a fine. And people get mad. But they can vote however they want and there is no legal means to stop them in most states."

I understood that Trump had won the popular vote too.

I may be wrong - I often am.

My day of remembrance is today.

Let's hope I'm not in traffic at 11am because there won't be much silence if I stop for two minutes.