The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

RhBBob, on 01 Mar 2017 - 22:12, said:

Nah, that was the guy arriving at Mike and Tina's chip shop and, as they were about to put a piece of cod into the batter, he shouts 'don't fry for me, Mike and Tina'....

.....and I always thought "Mi Cantina" was a small Mexican bar - hasty departure stage right!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

RhBBob, on 01 Mar 2017 - 22:12, said:

Nah, that was the guy arriving at Mike and Tina's chip shop and, as they were about to put a piece of cod into the batter, he shouts 'don't fry for me, Mike and Tina'....

.....and I always thought "Mi Cantina" was a small Mexican bar - hasty departure stage right!

Where oh where is that much requested groan button Mr Y.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I have had to leave Sharon to manage the house hunting. I received "the call" from mt sister at 10am and am rushing to Worthing hospital. Might or might not be in time. More later.

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Dodging and diving around the foot related black dog, think I've got him in a corner for now.  Ever helpful GP has gently let me into the longer term prognosis, which depends a lot upon both being careful now, and the luck of the draw as to how much cartilage survived the accident.  Still, it could have been much worse, as it was the same leg as the bad hip - which survived unscathed - if I had wrecked that then I really would have been up the creek.

Meanwhile - Outside a chip shop in Walthamstow, there was a young rocker called Greasy Joe......

I have had to leave Sharon to manage the house hunting. I received "the call" from mt sister at 10am and am rushing to Worthing hospital. Might or might not be in time. More later.

Thinking supportive thoughts, Rick.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

As I had cleared so much in the garage recently and my ON30 layout was revealed I thought I would have a play with it yesterday. All went well until a train got stuck in a place where I will need to do more tidying to rescue. So today will be tidying. I had been intending to but...

Aditi wants to visit the recycling centre today so perhaps I should start tidying straight after breakfast.

Tony

Perhaps a picture could be risked?

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning everyone

Well, surprise, surprise it's not raining.

Today I'm off to a site that we have called Altham "Pig Trap". Yes it really does trap pigs, P.I.G. (Pipeline Inspection Gauge) that is. This is a £multi-million piece of kit that is pushed into and along the pipeline at one end and then emerges at another, the PIG trap. I'm just checking the electrics today.

Back later

A bit more sophisticated than a lamphole then.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Firstly a bit of information to answer Don's question about changes to the beneficiaries if a will - relatively simple process as long as agreement is forthcoming from those who would lose out

https://www.gov.uk/alter-a-will-after-a-death

In the meanwhile the sun is shining  - oops, it was, however it is seaweedcast to spend its day peeping out from between the clouds and is once more peeping out - i shall not bore you with further updates on the passage of clouds.  In more interesting(?) news laddo announced during dinner yesterday evening that he would be leaving 'bright'n early' on Friday - which immediately prompted the Good Doctor and myself to comment that we didn't even know he was going to Brighton.  Seems he isn't and what he actually meant is that he is catching the first train from here at some hour I barely remember exists (06 something or other) as the first stage of his trip to Belgium for a long, and distinctly hydraulic, weekend - in this case the term 'hydraulic' refers to consumption of alcoholic beverages and has nothing to do with particular genres of railway motive power.

On a more serious note I intend to attend a public meeting of the Branch User Group (BUG - yes, really) this evening as Mark Hopwood of GWR will be addressing the packed hall - could be interesting, maybe.

Have a good day one and all and welcome back to England Rick - hope the two of you settle in soon and that your dad doesn't take a turn for the worse.

I am aware of the process for changing a will's provisions when there is agreement, but I have never seen any mention of whether you can flatly refuse to accept the legacy. If say an elderly aunt living in Australia left you her 27 cats you might feel it was better if it was someone else's problem.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can disclaim your inheritance or do a Deed of Variation. I haven't yet had anyone do either......!

There's always the hope there's some money in it.

Don

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.   Container now safely delivered.  The farm is on top of a ridge and quite exposed so the Hiab operator had some fun controlling the lift as he positioned it.   It's good to see a skilled worker doing their job.  

Rick, thoughts and prayers are with you wherever you are and Happy Birthday to Ian.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

You can disclaim your inheritance or do a Deed of Variation. I haven't yet had anyone do either......!

I knew there was a legal term for this!

It is something the Obergrumpenfuhrer wants to do with part of her late mother's estate.  Since  she and her brother are the sole beneficiaries, we decided that a bit of 'skip echelon' finance to our children might be in order. 

Our worry was that giving them both a lump sum from our assets in 6 months time, could/would/should attract CGT, which we would not wish them to pay, especially as HMRC have had a goodly slice in IHT, despite the money being contained within various tax saving wheezes.  

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, woke up to sunshine this morning, blue sky etc what a shock no rain.

So it was out for a longish walk and a pub lunch which was enjoyable.

Happy birthday Ian, it was mine on Monday so I was told, I tend not to bother 18th and 21st I did  but at 50 decided thats it just another day, now 60 plus I am just pleased when I wake up in the morning and all limbs function lol!  thus every day has become a special day.

Enjoy whats left of this one

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I am sorry to announce that father passed at 3.15pm. Mum, sister and myself were with him. He simply stopped breathing and slipped peacefully away. He was a few weeks shy of his 90th birthday and my parents had enjoyed almost 62 years of marriage.

• RMweb Gold

I usually find that when I set up an engineering project, somewhere in the proceedings, a fly will appear in the oinkment(sic).

This afternoon, I did all the planned work on the 7mm scale 45xx chassis previously mentioned.

Now something is seriously wrong here, because:

Everything fitted and stayed fitted to whatever machine was in use.

Processes were carried out without machine breakdown, dropping things on the floor, or losing chuck keys and spanners.

The use of profanity to persuade items to fit snugly together was not required.

I think I'd better stop whilst I'm still ahead!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Rick. So sorry to read your news, thoughts are with you both at this sad time.