The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Temperature here is just on freezing. The precipitation, which has been coming down all day, cycles from large, fluffy snowflakes to small, pearly snow to sleet to rain, and back again. And repeat.

Temperature here is just on freezing. The precipitation, which has been coming down all day, cycles from large, fluffy snowflakes to small, pearly snow to sleet to rain, and back again. And repeat.

You've got to look on the bright side. At this rate we'll not be using our lawnmowers before June.

• RMweb Premium
I knocked over a bottle of rosin flux today. It landed on a bit of track and flowed onto the Homasote and onto some fabric and the rug.

It also got on some tools and my fingers.

I managed to get a lot of it into a container. I got it off my hands with soap and hot water, alcohol, and talcum powder. Also used a bunch of cleaning wipes. 

So what do I do with the rest?  A lot is sitting (and gelling?) between the ties of the track.  Is the track and roadbed now toast? 

Dayle ran the curtains through the washer and the stuff is still in them; they were thrown out and replaced with spares.

Can I paint over what's left?

I knocked over a bottle of rosin flux today. It landed on a bit of track and flowed onto the Homasote and onto some fabric and the rug.
It also got on some tools and my fingers.
I managed to get a lot of it into a container. I got it off my hands with soap and hot water, alcohol, and talcum powder. Also used a bunch of cleaning wipes. 

So what do I do with the rest?  A lot is sitting (and gelling?) between the ties of the track.  Is the track and roadbed now toast? 

Dayle ran the curtains through the washer and the stuff is still in them; they were thrown out and replaced with spares.

Can I paint over what's left?

I think it depends on the specific type. The manufacturer's website might have some recommendations. What brand is it?

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather a damp night here and the rain has stopped for now but more is promised. No grass cutting here today!

The Boss has been delivered to work and wasn't grumbling about it until I informed her she may have to get a bus home as I am expecting a large parcel which won't fit through the letter box. Non railway contents on this one - it's wine as the "cellar" has become rather depleted.

As I cannot go out I may spend some time in the railway room.  :yes:

Have a good one,
Bob.

• Like 15

Andy: from M G Chemicals.  Not sure where I bought it. 

Will try for a website.

If it's this stuff

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/solder-and-solder-related-products/fluxes/rosin-flux-835

I think it will form a harmless resin "glue" when it dries out. There is a link to safety data sheet on the page.

Edited by AndyID

Morning all. It appears to have been wet overnight but dry now. I just hope that it stays that way until I'm due to head home.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 3

Good morning one and all

I have a dental check-up this morning.  With any luck the dentist will not find too much of a need for civil engineering work in the gob but one can never be certain.  This evening I head for London for the 4square concert.  By the time it ends I suspect that all the remaining trains back to Bedford will be all-stations and there are a lot of stations.  Fortunately the venue is a brisk and quite short walk from St Pancras so that I can tire myself out and snatch a bit of doss on the train.  I might be late on parade tomorrow.

Between these two events comes the Budget.  He who expects nothing is rarely disappointed.

Las night I enjoyed a film show, up to a point.  The presenter had only limited success in persuading an unfamiliar 8mm projector to pick up the soundtrack but there were snatches of commentary and distant sounds of distinctly out of period music, mostly by The Shadows.  What I did not enjoy was the hubbub of audience members turning to one another and burbling pointless comments.  "That's Ampthill".  "Is that Ampthill?"  How easily they are excited, poor things.  I have to write a report of this show for the Club Bulletin.  Wish me luck.

Warm thoughts to all, particularly those in distress for whatever reason.

Chris

Morning All,

It is not a bad morning in this part of the world.  Quite mild, and there was a lovely sunrise.

I don't have a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

Another very poor nights sleep maybe 3.5 hours in bed and another hour gains dozing on the sofa, luckily just simple stuff today providing I can stay awake.

A beautiful drive home after work yesterday, they've filled in the hole at the Coltishall triangle, but left 6 inches space for some tarmac. though this morning with the heavy overnight rain that was six inches of water. the valve cover on the bridge ramp is leaking more water as well.

Part of not sleeping last night was wondering where I left a mobile phone that doesn't belong to me,,,,

Actually it's not a mobile phone but a mobile phone deliberately got at so it won't make phone calls, though it will connect via wifi. I'm taking part in a survey, which just uses this as a data gatherer, I just have to fill in various questions (multiiple choice) on what I'm doing for every half hour of the day.   

E.G. where are you? work , home, travelling, Shopping. What are you doing? Sleeping , eating , cooking, working , shopping.

You don't have to fill it in straight away, which is just as well as I found the phone in the drawer with my work coffee cup this morning, so I've a bit of a back log to fill in.

For doing the survey you get £35 of Amazon vouchers!!

Right time to go measure some high ohms resistors which have 20 minutes settling time, plenty of time to answer some questions..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's Wednesday and I have just heard the bin men empty the bins, so I will return them both back in their rightful place when I leave for the orifice shortly.

The rain has stopped, but it looks very dull and the temperature is 4C.

Back later.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14

Morning all,

Second night running when I've been called in to do "dad duties" and minister to an ailing youngster. 

Result: once you're awake it takes about 2 hours to get back to sleep. 

zzzz zzzz zzzz

Off to The Smoke today.

More progress on the plank last night. 

Garage clearing and a  re-think of the large layout is gaining momentum.

Have a nice day awl.  

• Like 4

Morning all !

New electricity supplier asks for readings by 25th March to enable existing supplier to send a final bill; since new supplier is cheaper, I reason that sending them today will also be cheaper than waiting !!

Raining again. Note to self; must ask the County Council to choose a new Tourist slogan to replace 'the drier side of Britain' as it is rapidly becoming out of date....

Enjoy your day, except perhaps, if in UK, that bit from 11.30 this morning.  If more than three-score-and-ten, worry not ! We've seen it all before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Slightly damp and somewhat overcast out. However I survived the trek to the roadside to deposit a bin bag.

Aditi will be busy with French Circle activities today. Collecting the lecturer from his motor home which is parked at a caravan site in the nearest thing to "middle of nowhere ". Then take him to "fish and chip supper" in Leigh High St, set up his audio visuals at the hall, and after the lecture take him back. He will be leaving his van outside our house tomorrow morning while they go to another lecture. Last year he talked about Chapelon's influence on steam locomotive design. This year it is Romans in Provence.

I don't speak French so just make tea when she gets home.

Tony

....It's Wednesday and I gave just heard the bin men empty the bins, ....

Barnet Council's lazy git contractors missed out our street last Wednesday, so everyone has overflowing blue bins this week.....which gives the contractors another excuse to miss out the street....

• RMweb Gold

I'm sitting here waiting for my parcel and it's pouring with rain. The Boss is probably walking to the bus stop and then when she gets off the bus she's got another walk. In the rain. Hope she remembered her brolly otherwise the hairdryer treatment may be utilised.     :threaten: :girldevil:

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

I'm sitting here waiting for my parcel and it's pouring with rain. The Boss is probably walking to the bus stop and then when she gets off the bus she's got another walk. In the rain. Hope she remembered her brolly otherwise the hairdryer treatment may be utilised.     :threaten: :girldevil:

Probably on you, Bob. I would get the tin hat and ear muffs out if I were you.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another good nights sleep, probably because I've ceased the afternoon forty winks, been too busy doing sod all. The Facebook problem is still there but it seems to be OK in the late evenings/early morning. I've checked my modem security and everything looks OK so I still don't know the cause of the problem. PS just checked and it seems to be OK for now.

• Like 14

Evening.

A friend reckons 'chicks dig scars' and it is an asset, but at 58 in a few days and married for 33 years, I don't consider it will change my life in that way!

Why? I’m 65  and all the local “Moms” here love me (my only visible scar is on the left hand cheek  of my face). A bevy of them ran past my house last Saturday when my wife and I were out clearing up the front lawn of sticks. They all yelled out to me and ignored my wife (it keeps her “on her toes”).....

I was made to go in and make the tea shortly thereafter though. :drag:

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a half modeller, half mattress.

Foot is rather fidgety today, things settling in a new position after the stitches came out I think, the 'release' as they came out was very noticeable! The new cast is slightly different in position too, which will be making a difference.

A nice sunny morning here, and our bin seemed to be emptied successfully judging by the racket they made.  Our collection is around 0530 - 0600 hrs, I suppose so they can have the afternoon off!  Debs has the afternoon off so I am allowed out for an hour in the car, which will be a welcome break.

• Like 3