Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

This procedure certainly wasn't adopted in Dover after the Herald disaster. I crewed on one ferry around 1990 where the crew were allowed to collect their 'issue' to take home, 2 nights before they went on leave. My cabin mate rolled back into the cabin and fell off his bunk. He got another issue the next day to take home. I never understood why the company allowed crew members to be given a 2nd 'issue' in one week.

This was 3 years after the Herald and drink was involved there.

• RMweb Premium

I can live with that............................ I still ain't got no feathers!

Had you flown with some of the so called pilots that drive jumpships, I can assure you that you would be truly grateful to leave the airframe at the earliest convenient moment.

Naturally, it has to follow that the worst of the bunch were all training to be flight instructors....

My old man was trained as a "dispatcher" on Dakotas at Ringway. Having been at the pointy end dropping torpedos out of Wellingtons in the Mediterranean he could not come to terms with the idea of jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aeroplane.. anyway when he had a day trip to Arnhem (or three) he reckoned they had to fly so low to avoid  the ME109 and FW190s he didn't need a parachute he needed a wing and a prayer...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A long time coming "' Afternoon all from red dragon land."

I see the wit on here has not diminished!  I am still chuckling after just a few pages but I must not forget to pass on my condolences to Rick and my thoughts to all of you suffering or with difficulties of one sort or another.

Anyway, between bouts of "I feel a bit better, now" and longer spells feeling like a scarecrow with no stuffing -.Girlie Flu, in other words - this is what I have been up to - the first Airfix kit I have built for over 40 years!  Back in those days, straight out of the box and all glued up in no time.  I did not even bother to clean up the plastic and just painted the kit as on the box.  However, this time, I took an awful long time to build it, putting one piece alongside the other umpteen times before having the confidence to glue them together... stage fright?  No comparison.  :scared:   Too much worrying if it will be good enough!  As for painting, as I spent hours on the sofa with the girlie flu, I spent some of the time on my old Notebook looking at WW! tanks, rusty old tanks, and rusty old anything!  So, after layer upon layer of paint, washes, and weathering powders, this is the result - primed, painted, weathered and, finally, rusted as in the real world.  Just got to do the base now - when the cork sheet and mounting boards have flattened.

I was also doing a bit more research on the Bangor 1930s postcard (from the Archive of the Month last September) - it seems there was a bit of controversy over the tank and I eventually came across a lengthy newspaper report on its acceptance.  That bucked me up tremendously.  I also found a bit more about the greengrocer and the family business.  More soon...(?)

I could not resist taking these when the sun shone through the window.

attachicon.gifIMG_3070a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3071a.JPG

ooh err a rusty mummy!

• Like 5

Another long day over and a lot of road miles covered. The frustrating part of the day was that I didn't have to be at the first site until 09:00 instead of my arrival time of 07:00.

I'm sure it has been discussed on here before, but the prevalence of cyclists who only have flashing lights seemed more obvious today. From memory, it is a requirement of road traffic law to display one steady light front and rear. Can anyone enlighten me please.

Polly - Great to see a post from you. I'm seriously impressed with the tank.

I may be back later

• Like 1

I'm sure it has been discussed on here before, but the prevalence of cyclists who only have flashing lights seemed more obvious today. From memory, it is a requirement of road traffic law to display one steady light front and rear. Can anyone enlighten me please.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code Rule 60 applies: (I quote) " At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp."

Moral of the story: don't rely on memory, keep up-to-date with The Highway Code - applies to everybody using the public highways!

You will also note that the HC refers to Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

Edited by JohnDMJ

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code Rule 60 applies: (I quote) " At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp."

Moral of the story: don't rely on memory, keep up-to-date with The Highway Code - applies to everybody using the public highways!

You will also note that the HC refers to Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

Sadly the DoT only produce the Highway Code in English.  Someone recently suggested that we teach our migrant workers about drinking and driving.  I thought maybe we ought to start a little earlier - perhaps 'how to obtain a form for a provisional driving licence'? And then move on to the driving test, motor insurance and finally taxing the vehicle.

Then we can be spoilsports and mention the drink/drive limit........and finally, as mentioned above, the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

• Like 8

JohnDMJ - Thanks for that. I do keep up to date with the highway code but after the last few days my memory is fried.

A slightly better day planned for tomorrow which might (if I'm lucky) result in POETS just to get me ready for working the weekend.

Night all

Sadly the DoT only produce the Highway Code in English.  Someone recently suggested that we teach our migrant workers about drinking and driving.  I thought maybe we ought to start a little earlier - perhaps 'how to obtain a form for a provisional driving licence'? And then move on to the driving test, motor insurance and finally taxing the vehicle.

Then we can be spoilsports and mention the drink/drive limit........and finally, as mentioned above, the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

Now there's an apparent misconception because the Highway Code applies to all users of public highways, including pedestrians and is NOT restricted to car users!

In Germany (I forget from which post on this thread the information recently came) cycling through a red traffic light attracts points on your driving license or, in the absence thereof, an appropriate fine. Apply that to the UK!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

It's been a long day, just over 230 miles covered and 6 hours behind the wheel, I shan't miss that. However, the weather has been glorious, beautiful sunshine all day, but it still took over 2 hours to get to Millom. It's great being paid to drive around Cumbria, in the sunshine, but it's bl00dy awful when it's p!ss!ng down though!

Whilst I was on my way to Millom, my manager phoned and asked me to visit a site that no one in the department has heard of, or even knew existed. The site was on a list of electric meters that was given our department to check. I couldn't find the road in my Cumbria A-Z, but I did have a postcode. So armed with just the postcode I set off to find the site. The postcode took me to within about 20 yards, it turned out to be a remote Transmission CP (Cathodic Protection) cabinet and to which I don't have a key, so I couldn't check what was inside, but at least we can now say it's not our equipment. Photos were taken of the location and the enclosure, I'll pass them on to my manager next time I see him.

At around 12:00, I was driving through Foxfield, heading towards Ulverston, when I saw class 37, number 37402 passing through the station. But as I was driving, I was unable to take a photo.

Stewart, Higginson's is quite famous within our department, as are most decent independent pie shops in the North West. They make very nice pies, I've had a few over the years, but unfortunately I got to Grange too late to get a pie, they'd sold out, :-( luckily I'd got a sandwich with me.

Prolly. Nice to see you posting again, nice job on that tank by the way.

I'm bucking follocksed.

Goodnight all.

• Like 4

Horrible coincidence today.

ECML has severe delays between Newark Northgate and Retford stations because the overhead wires were damaged.  Some services cancelled resulting in over-crowded trains.  Tickets valid for tomorrow.

Replacement buses sent from Newark were delayed by a crash on the A1 which closed both sides of the dual carriageway north of the turnoff for the A46 and A17.

Never mind, it's Virgin Trains 20th Birthday today......all together now 'Happy....

Nite all

• Like 2

My local pillar box has suffered, yet again, from the incompetence of heavy-handed and footed van and lorry drivers. As you can see from the royal monogram, it was planted during the reign of His Majesty King George the Fifth and could be over a hundred years old. The regular batterings it has received have rarely put it out of service for any length of time, and I hope to see it brought back into use again.

By the way, that's my stick in the picture. It helps me stay mobile while a calf muscle pull clears up. 

post-7286-0-25611400-1489100272.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Back from a quick visit to the family on the Costa Geriatrica. Mother is frail, almost skeletal, but retains a determination that things must go on. Father's Attendance Allowance had been transferred to her in order to retain the help both needed but which had been in his name

Discussions with sister regarding the send-off which will be a simple celebration of his near-90 years followed by a finger-food wake nearby. I am expected to speak on behalf of the family.

Pleasant dinner with sister, her eldest and his young lady before returning to the Hill of Strawberries where we were welcomed home by what sounded like an extremely satisfying rendition of the Love Symphony emerging from a nearby upstairs window. I am also becoming quickly acquainted with the vagaries of what has long been known as the Kingston Roundabout which is now our suburban rail route

And the first locomotive has arrived. D1018 "Western Buccaneer" sourced from the LT Museum who would not mail to Australia had been awaiting my collection here and will be joined by the rest of the collection later in the year.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

My Facebook seems to be back to normal now so fingers crossed. Talking of which, one of the local history groups of which I am a member someone has started a thread on bread pudding which in less than 12 hours has attracted more than 100 replies. My mouth is watering at the though of my mums bread pudding, still warm from the oven and soft and moist. And with that I say goodnight to you all.

• Like 6

As Horsetan said its the Indefinite Leave to Remain. She's from Canada but has an English grandparent. (and Russian, Ukraine, German.........) Normally the short route would be through my citizenship but as I got mine through my Mother, neither she or my son could gain citizenship through me.

It doesn't work that way in the opposite direction. Once I had immigrated to Canada on my own merit, I could immediately claim Canadian citizenship through my Mum who was born in Toronto. I could also claim Canadian citizenship for my three young sons, all born in the UK. However, my wife had to wait for the regular time (5 years, I think, at the time) to be able to apply for citizenship (and pass a one-on-one exam to get it). Edited by pH

Morning all. Yet another dry start to the day and I hope that it stays that way.

Another carp nights sleep for some reason so another day of lots of coffee is predicted.

Time for another coffee before heading over to Ilford.

Have a good day everyone

Morning All,

It is a nice sunny morning here, so hopefully the painter will turn up at home later.  Yesterday, it started to rain shortly after he arrived, and so he disappeared again!

There isn't a lot else to report, so have a good day everyone...

Good morning one and all

Last night's concert was gentle.  Pagoda Project comprises a lady with two clarinets and a hairy bloke with an accordion who make lovely music that is difficult and pointless to categorise.  The theatre was not well filled but those who did not venture out missed a treat.  Guess what?  I bought a CD.

I have an injection at 8.40 this morning so must not tarry here overlong for I need to make time for my oat cuisine before I go to the surgery.  When the nurse has drilled a hole in me I can think about whether a fodder run is needed.

Warm thoughts to all.  No time or need to be specific.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Jamie - we took a layout to the Eat Anglian show last year. The new venue is good.Can be a bit chilly first thing though.

Car loaded with th layout ready for his evenings trip to Somerset. Just the stock and DCC equipment to load. Hopefully POETs today.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

first up today is to finish the brickwork for the porch base then level off inside and lay the DPM insulation and the concrete floor slab. How far will I get today probably not as far as I wish. The problem is is some rain is likely It would be better to do all the bit from laying the DPM on in one day. Otherwise I may be laying concrete in a large puddle with insulation floating in it.

Enjoy your day.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's raining, where's all the lively sunshine we had yesterday? With today being Friday, POETS day and my last day for a week, I'm working a little nearer to home. Runcorn and Speke are today's destinations, so I may well call into Hatton's on my way home, since I will be passing within a 1/4 of a mile from them!

Back later.

• Like 17