The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

We had a house energy audit today. After changing the furnace and water heater to more efficient models, there are a bunch of rebates available. There is an extra one if we make the windproofing 10% better.

Off tomorrow to but rubber inserts for the electrical outlets.

Tonight's opera DVD was Rigoletto with Pav and some others we hadn't heard of.

• Like 17

Morning all. A rare good nights sleep but now feel really carp for it.

A day of trying to find a system fault which could end up being a very long day especially as I'm working in the Twickenham area. If I don't finish early enough I'll end up being trapped by the road closures after the rugby.

Have a good day everyone

Good morning one and all

I'm off to Leicester later this morning to meet an old mate at the beer festival.  There can be no better way of catching up after far too long an interval.  I have implicit though shaky faith in the self-service machine which contains my tickets and seat reservations.  All being well - unfamiliar expression - they will be retrieved seamlessly without panic, foul language or the magic spell ushered in by the word Abracadabra.  If I have a window seat and if it is next to a window I may be able to view progress on the MML electrification.  Cue Everly Brothers with 'All I have to do is dream'.

Yesterday I booked two tickets for a concert nine months hence.  The threatened confirmatory e-mail has yet to arrive so it is probably just as well that I printed the order confirmation page from the website.  I would have preferred to do it on the phone but after two minutes of pressing this button and making that choice a recorded voice told me "not available".  "What concert is this?", I hear you cry.  Eliza Carthy and the Wayward Band, at Bedford Corn Exchange on 14th December.  Dead cultural!

Warm thoughts to all, particularly those in distress for whatever reason

Chris

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Dry start and a mild day with sunny spells and light winds is forecast.

Not a lot of sleep had by me last night. I awoke to the sound of a couple of burglar alarms at 02.40 and found we had a power cut. Don't know when it went off and it came back on about 30 minutes later but after that I only dozed intermittently.

Wales v Ireland was a great game of rugby and I enjoyed every minute. I sincerely hope I can enjoy today's match at Twickenham just as much, if not more. My Scottish friend George who will be watching with me will hope that I don't! England really must up their game to win this one and I think they will but once again I wouldn't risk any money on it.

Before that I shall venture forth via the M25 and M3 to Basingstoke where I may bump into one or two other like minded ERs. My wallet is primed just in case I see something I really "need." 

Someone else in GDB Towers thinks that I don't actually need any more "train stuff."  Pah - what on earth would she know about it!

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning from Somerset. Only a few miles from where I used to live when I was about 2 - 3 so don't remember much. We moved slightly further East till I was 10 when we moved to Surrey.

Had one of the best runs along the M25 M4 and M5 we have ever had. Lets hope that this is not an omen for Sunday evenings trip home.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl, another 6 hours solid sleep helped by the red stuff, followed by a couple of hours laid out on the sofa resting.

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of the tax, i notice that all papers / TV reporters are making a huge fuss over the increase in self employed national insurance .

That wouldn't be because a huge percentage of them are self employed would it?

Somehow i think all sides of the press are not exact giving a balanced view.

Meanwhile I see its quite bright out there, the forecast now being dry and warm today when i will be inside working in the shed, wet and horrible when i will be outside sailing.

Time for breakfast...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the delights of Brampton Hut Premier Inn. WE got the layout loaded yesterday and had a good run down here from Wakefield. Got set up and then had a very convivial evening over a meal in the attached Brewers Fayre. The layout is called Overlord and I'm very impressed b=with Chris's modelling. Shortly we'll be off to the venue to have breakfast and get things running.

Anyway regards to all and if any of you are passing please say hello.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I thought that sometime ago we needed more female scientists.

We need more females everywhere, with the conspicuous exceptions of the nursery and the kitchen, where far too many men think women should spend their time. Grrr!

• Like 1

Morning all !

'Thriller Live', the West End show, is coming to Skegness Embassy Theatre from 31st Oct to 4th November so I grabbed three tickets for Mrs and Miss RhBBob and self !  Going on 3rd November which seems to ring a bell !  Oh yes, on that day it will be 44 years of marriage, and 44 years and 363 days since we met.

Yes, good old 'see it, like it, buy it Bob' !  And, as you will have worked out, we met on November 5th.....no comment !

Have a great day, I'm off to play golf....after a fashion.

Thanks to you all as always

• Like 19

Dry start to the day here in sunny Teignmouth.

Increaed NIC's for self employed? It's unfair apparently because they don't get the same benefits. My mate, a plumber, told me many years ago that he kept 2 sets of books.

Maybe that 2nd set could be considered his "benefits". Of course this does not imply that all self employed people keep 2 sets of books

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

We need more females everywhere, with the conspicuous exceptions of the nursery and the kitchen, where far too many men think women should spend their time. Grrr!

Yes, If only railway modellers were treated and adored like rock stars.

Groupies hanging around your workshop hoping for a glimpse of your latest purchase/build/commission.

Allowing them to hold your DCC throttle.

Giving them a ride  on your big engine.

Having  a couple of young things crouched on all fours re railing some wagons.

WAKE UP!

• RMweb Gold

Morning everyone.

Quite pleasant out. Not raining.

I have no idea what I will, be doing today. Aditi is off to the ballet again this afternoon taking advantage of a discount ticket offer. This afternoon it is "Cinderella" which is a ballet she hasn't seen before.

I have been checking the website of Neil's place of employment avidly for a week to see when something came in stock. It appeared yesterday so an order was made.

Tony

• Like 16

Groupies hanging around your workshop hoping for a glimpse of your latest purchase/build/commission.

WAKE UP!

and whilst there sweeping and washing the floor, cleaning your tools and dusting the rails

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Mizzly here outside, boringly sitting about inside.  Mrs H off to Pilates, then bacon sarnies for lunch.  I was being very careful with my diet, only to find after big bone breaks your body can consume three times its normal calorific amount.  I have lost weight, (ever tried balancing on scales on one foot? Comedy act) so need to eat more!  Mind you, there's plenty fat of the land to live off!  Best foods for bone repair are kale, spinach and broccoli, all of which I find unpalatable, typical.

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO said enjoy yourself at the Basingstoke Show  ???? she went shopping yesterday and I haven't seen the receipts yet it leaves me to think it was an expensive shopping trip so I will have a spend at the show

without feeling guilty and sod the ear damage later if it kicks off.    :mosking:

• Like 3

Morning all from the delights of Brampton Hut Premier Inn.

There used to be a petrol station attached to the previous incarnation of the Brampton Hut.  In the summer of '66 this [then] raw school-leaver worked there as a pump attendant for two months.

Strictly speaking I am not old enough to remember the Dragoon in its 60s heyday but I do.  Grandadbob had gone by then ...

Chris

• Like 19

Morning all,

A misty one here after a poor nights sleep.

Mike, thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I've gone for the last slot on the first day. There looked to be either 3 on the first day and 1 on the second, with time for the board to deliberate thereafter. Or there were 6 slots and two people got in first. Time will tell. 

Absolutely go talk to the person who had the job beforehand. If for no other reason you find out why there is a vacancy and can do a body swerve if needed! One job I had 80% of the staff left in one year. I soon learned why! 

Tricky to meet the previous post holder in this instance as it is a new post for a new(ish) organisation. 

However, Google is your friend and I've found the "How to write a job spec and interview candidates" document the organisation uses. I'm guessing they may use some of the sample questions!! ....

Interestingly they are also told to look for specific body language and the candidates' energy / enthusiasm levels. 

Apart from that plenty of reading around the subject, acquaint myself with their portfolio, have some questions of my own about how they plan to deliver and improve.....

Exciting! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning and predicted to last all day but the forecast for tomorrow is dire.

WAKE UP!

Why would I want to wake up?

A very grey and drizzly day here so far. Nevertheless I have managed a good circular walk this morning, so I can watch the rugby later with a clear conscience! I enjoyed last night's rugby, especially as my mother's side of the family were all Welsh!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

'Thriller Live', the West End show, is coming to Skegness Embassy Theatre from 31st Oct to 4th November so I grabbed three tickets for Mrs and Miss RhBBob and self !  

I have no doubt you know that 'Thriller' is the best-selling album of all time, and that the title track, and a couple of others, as well as a few more of MJ's hits, were all written by the late Rod Temperton, born in Cleethorpes. A local boy dun good!

I have now put 50km on the new jamjar. Feels nice to drive, as you might hope, albeit I'm still learning the new gearbox, which is inevitably a bit slower than the 120k km one on the Note. I've worked out how to use the cruise control. And for a 0.9 litre petrol engine it has some poke - once the turbo kicks in. Inevitably after so many years of diesels it is a bit of a learning experience, with the tight engine needing to be a gear lower at town speeds, but it all feels pleasing.

Implausibly the official car registration document arrived by registered post this morning, so that's grand. But it was only as she reversed up my drive (ooh!) that I realised postie's van is now electric! While we all grew up with electric milk-floats in urban areas, I am well out in the stix. Progress indeed.  

• Like 18