The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all. Drizzle here at London Bridge.

Happy Birthday Rick

And best wishes to who must visit the fangmangler.

The water pressure wasn't restored when I got home last night but it didn't affect the trip to the Hoppers Hut or the Darjeeling afterwards. A few pints of their Brew Buddies IPA went down nicely. The curry was good but hardly the equal of a trip to Heston's Dinner.

Even better, the water pressure was then back to normal.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I am mainly left handed like you Rick. It seems that most of the things you learn very young I learnt left handed. Later it seemed I hand the choice and a lot can be done either handed.

I learnt to use a Knife and fork with the fork in the left hand (easier for a left hander when someone usually cuts your food up for you) but also learnt to use a spoon in my left hand. Later when I was older the bu99ers introduced an extra fork to go with the spoon but I didn't have too left hands. I still don't use a fork and spoon together just cannot be bothered to learn I suppose.

Slight warning you may think you are over the worse having coped with Sixty but all too sudden bl00dy Seventy is on the horizon.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Happ birthday Rick. Hope you are enjoying the damp weather back in this country.

With all our ailments we are all getting old on here!

A few years to go before I can get cheaper travel benefits but certainly various aches and pains these days. Last night I managed to get to sleep after a few pain killers. Woke up this morning and the chest and back pains had cleared up but chest pains are back again now. Can't keep taking pan killers so it might have to be a couple pints instead. Apparently this is better than paracetamol according to one report I read this morning. It's one I would like to believe in!

At least it's hump day and plans in place for a trip this weekend to Winchester for a few liquid refreshments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Best use for it! :jester:

As another southpaw I always found it odd that people use their non dominant hand to insert a fork into their mouth!

That is one of those things that is so obvious, yet never considered!  You are so right, Lawrence.  Nurture, not nature at work.

........ drunk.

Terminally.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I have just successfully applied online for my state pension. The scratch and reveal one time use code pad letter arrived this morning. Aditi said I did have a letter but she thought it was another begging letter either from Virgin Media or some political party. Good job I checked.

Just off to walk Robbie. Aditi is not accompanying us today, she is busy digging up bits of lawn.

I only prune clematis under close supervision having once pruned one that shouldn't have been pruned to the ground, rather than half way. It survived (fortunately) .

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Odd weather - looks dull, breezy, not very nice at all - just looked at the temperature - 19.5c!

Off for a toddle around the circle - counts as physioterrorism.  I'll be thinking of the physioterrorist as I do so, reduces the pain!

Happy birthday Rick...

HUMP Day - ok, everyone, in unison..... YAY!!!!

Nothing intelligent occurred yesterday at the office/client.

Small "whoops" on the home front. Urgent call from our financial advisors;

Short version - we now owe about $2,000 more in combined federal and state taxes :scared:

Long version;

Following sale of our rental property this past year, obviously saw us with some proceeds to "throw around"! Spent some on ourselves, and planned to "save" the maximum possible in retirement accounts to offset taxes.

Come tax time, we elected to put $6,500 for each of us into an IRA (US personal retirement account, pre-tax $$, reduces your taxable income). $6,500 is the maximum allowed per person.

All kosher, taxes filed by me (refund from the feds, small amount owed to the state), IRA deposits handled by the Mrs.- job(s) done.

Apparently, when the IRA deposits were made, the Mrs posted the deposits to two separate accounts in HER IRA, rather than deposits to two SEPARATE IRAs, hers and mine. Incorrectly transposed the account/IRA numbers.

BIG RED FLAGS, ALARMS, WAILING-GNASHING-OF-TEETH when duly finalized by the financial institutions. Essentially, we went over the federal limit ($6,500 per person), and have to "deal with it".

Since all this was done right at the tax deadline, we can't simply say "whoops, made a mistake, can you move the money to the OTHER IRA!" :nono:

Need to file an amended tax statement for 2016, meaning we OWE some more taxes, about $2,000, redirect ONE of the funds into a 2017 IRA deposit, and have a couple of drinks!! :jester:  :banghead:

In the grand scheme of things it's all "swings and roundabouts" really, since although we owe more taxes for 2016, we've already got 2017 IRA maxed for one of us reducing the 2017 taxes <sigh> <yawn>

"It's only money", right???

Today looks to be "interesting" on the office front.

Arriving at 7:45, with only a couple of folks here, it was already a steamy 27C inside on the sixth floor! :O

Outside temperature was a reasonable 16, but expected to reach 28 out there today. Who knows how lovely it'll be in here soon :help:

In the 45 minutes since I arrived temp outside is now 18 clear and SUNNY :sungum:

Enjoy HUMP day, I'll be reporting on "...the gasman air-conditioner guy cometh..." so long as I don't melt first...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

G'day all,

Cats duly taken to the vets and various problems diagnosed with one of them (which explain his unsavoury toilet habits).  On arrival home 'we' decided not to go to Root One on a plant hunt (primula viali) and that a visit to Tesco should be delayed while other things were done.  Still waiting to go to Tesco but the desultory rain has done what it was forecast to do and got a lot less desultory and a lot heavier.

In the meanwhile I had wondered yesterday about picking up various detritus on the lawn but could be bothered after hacking away at raspbery canes for a couple of hours, just as well as this has just come along to do the job for me (click to enlarge) -

attachicon.gifDSCF9619.jpg

Enjoy the rest of your day - if the weather allows.

I don't!!

If your furry friend there, is the same as the ones in my garden, they only eat the things you don't want them too...

Just Like the pidgeons who've started stripping the leaves off of SWMBOs new gooseberry bushes, that she has grown from cuttings..

The second piece of kit that came in for me to work on, was in such good condition I didn't need to adjust it. So that meant only 2.5 hours work on it not 6 hours. The major system is happily trundling along behind me, about 40 minutes, in 2 sections, to go till it's finished todays automatic section.

In around a hour and a half, I'll paddle out to the  car. One sign to place and  a visit to the eye inspector (not the diabetic one) required before I get to home.

Time to... go prod aonther button

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon

All customers visited and data collected, despite the efforts of the jobs-worth that I encountered this morning. He wouldn't let me on site because I didn't have an appointment, fair enough, but he wouldn't give me the name of the person who I needed to contact to make such an appointment, saying, go on the company website and look. Anyway I did, and got all the information I required from the lovely sounding receptionist. Before I hung up I just happened to mention how unhelpful the security guard had been!

It was starting to rain just before lunch, I'm glad I'm home now, as it's really chucking it down!

back later

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have just successfully applied online for my state pension. The scratch and reveal one time use code pad letter arrived this morning. Aditi said I did have a letter but she thought it was another begging letter either from Virgin Media or some political party. Good job I checked.

Just off to walk Robbie. Aditi is accompanying us today, she is busy digging up bits of lawn.

I only prune clematis under close supervision having once pruned one that shouldn't have been pruned to the ground, rather than half way. It survived (fortunately) .

Tony

Tony, just a quick question or two. How long is it till you actually get your pension and is there an expiry time on the use of the code as we are going to be away a lot of June and July. My Birthday's in late October.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I have in the car a sign to put up on the way home for Wooly Worsted https://worsteadweavers.org.uk/   

Mr Q.

My wife has an interest in wool and knitting and in previous years I have been dragged around the Cockermouth WoolFest and Wonder Wool at Builth Wells (but she never visits model shows !!)   As we are to be in your part of the world soon, I looked at the website to find that they have organised this event a week too late and we'll be back home again.  However a comment for you to pass on - the page about Woolly Worstead doesn't actually say where it's happening - as it's a big event will it still be at the Workshop in Dilham or somewhere else ??

Mike

• Like 6

Or even their western neighbours in Penistone.

Jamie

Yes, our school used to play them at rugby - sorry, rugger ! 

As my late Mother used to say 'well, you never got near the ball, dear' .

She was quite right, of course.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Tony, just a quick question or two. How long is it till you actually get your pension and is there an expiry time on the use of the code as we are going to be away a lot of June and July. My Birthday's in late October.Jamie

My birthday is at the beginning of September. I already had a Government Gateway ID and password. If one is within 4 months of being 65 (so beginning of May in my case) you can begin the process. Part of the process is getting a security code to register on the pension site. This is posted within 7 days (came in 3 ) that has to be used within 28 days (or you need a new one I think). The process is pretty simple, handy to have ones spouse's name and date of birth to hand as well as bank details.

Hope this helps

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

You should arrange to have the event hosted on the Bluebell Railway. Then everyone can go to Worstead Keynes....

I wish I could...

But it is being held near, Worstead, on the Bittern line, Which leads to the North Norfolk Railway (18 miles), or in the other direction  6 of miles to the Bure Valley Railway in Hoveton or  Wroxham Minature Worlds Model Railways  in Hoveton, or the Barton House railway in Wroxham.

They are of Course the Worstead Weavers, and were orginally based in Worstead,( now based in Dilham 2 miles away) and Worstead is where the name of Worsted cloth comes from..

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

I can't pretend to understand the slightest bit about US tax arrangements, but mentioning I R A so many times on the interweb might just bring one to the attention of security organisations!

10 laps of the street completed, 1200 yards-ish, counting one crutch-stride as a yard.  My wrists (crutches) and hip (lack of use) are now as painful as the foot, so I am well theraped.  Or something.....   5 laps each way, to relieve boredom!

post-10195-0-41474400-1495028533.jpg

• RMweb Premium

My birthday is at the beginning of September. I already had a Government Gateway ID and password. If one is within 4 months of being 65 (so beginning of May in my case) you can begin the process. Part of the process is getting a security code to register on the pension site. This is posted within 7 days (came in 3 ) that has to be used within 28 days (or you need a new one I think). The process is pretty simple, handy to have ones spouse's name and date of birth to hand as well as bank details.

Hope this helps

Tony

Thanks for that Tony. The 4 month thing takes me to the beginning of July so I may well start the process from France as two of the kids are due to come out and see us later in the month.

Cheers

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Tony. The 4 month thing takes me to the beginning of July so I may well start the process from France as two of the kids are due to come out and see us later in the month.CheersJamie

There is also an "apply by phone" option. I don't know anything about that other than the 4 month limit applies. I know my contributions record exists as I checked another website that held the details some months ago.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mr Q.

My wife has an interest in wool and knitting and in previous years I have been dragged around the Cockermouth WoolFest and Wonder Wool at Builth Wells (but she never visits model shows !!)   As we are to be in your part of the world soon, I looked at the website to find that they have organised this event a week too late and we'll be back home again.  However a comment for you to pass on - the page about Woolly Worstead doesn't actually say where it's happening - as it's a big event will it still be at the Workshop in Dilham or somewhere else ??

Mike

Thanks for noticing that I'll inform SWMBO when I get home, I believe it is likely it will be held in the Dilham Village hall , but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The group meet in the village hall each Tuesday from 2pm onwards till late fi you want to drop in.

If you're in the area the week before, then on the 3/4th of June is the 3 rivers race the biggest inland waterways passage race in Europe. which can be worth a watch from certain pubs or places where the water meets the road system, I'll post some info on that when I get Home I've got to have my eyesight tested ...

Bye.