The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning from the North West Leeds highlands.

It is sunny a the moment but the garden lake appeared due to a lot of rain last night. Could make cricket today interesting and, with the bain of all umpires, some showers expected this afternoon it could be a long day.

I have a game in Sheffield tomorrow but that could also be rained off. This is a women's hard ball cricket game. They have had to move grounds as the Yorkshire Cricket guys have organised a women's soft ball (with prosecco) festival at the original venue....disorganised chaos comes to mind.....

Have a great day/weekend/week everyone.

Hopefully we may get news from some of our missing colleagues soon?

dudders, Asher's, smithy, polly, Simon, IL dottore come to mind but there are a lot of others

Baz

PS billb apologies...hope you are well

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

IKEA have threatened to deliver the item they sent to Truro in error within the hour.  Their truck tracking system per phone message suggests the driver has thus far taken two hours to make two calls in an area the size of a cricket pitch .....

No call received from the maintenance people yesterday regarding the absence of water in the toilet cistern.  I rang them at 4.55pm and spoke with a pleasant and apologetic woman whose reason was that "The crew haven't checked the work list yet".  How do they get their jobs then?  What if we had no working toilet???  I also happened to mention the window handle which was absent when we moved in, noted on the inspection report and promised for "soon".  It is now four months on and we still cannot open the lounge window for want of a handle.  She said "It's in his van".  So why hasn't he done anything about fitting it???

Hoping for a better day today but SWMBO has already itemised more tasks than can reasonably be completed in waking hours.  Some will get done, others not.

Beautiful morning here so far.  A cynic would say it's bound to rain later ;)

Have a good weekend all.

Morning all. Late on parade as I forgot to set the alarm.

Bright outside at the moment but the prediction is rain this afternoon so anything outside will have to be done soon.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

• RMweb Gold

Forget to mention that Nicki & Steve went to the hospital with Jane to see friend Steve who is still in an induced coma in ICU. He'll probably be there for at least a week. The good news is that his condition hasn't got worse. They have rather a nice idea there that everybody who visits can make an entry in a visitor's book so that he can read it when he wakes up. I can imagine, knowing him and his family & friend's sense of humour very well, that there will be some very "interesting" comments.  :yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun brightly shining but according to the weather guru's its not going to last.

What about one of those wind up ones that were going to save the world a few years ago?

They are still available, just Google 'wind up radios', not expensive either at about £15 a shot. I wonder if there's a market for wind up lap-tops?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Late on parade as I forgot to set the alarm.

Bright outside at the moment but the prediction is rain this afternoon so anything outside will have to be done soon.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

Don't forget to get your butt out of bed tomorrow on time for your GWR enlightenment.  :boredom:

• RMweb Gold

Aux boiler burner peep hole?

Ah, well done sir (as I'd expected).  

However there is a slight catch, the ship has two such heaters of water but someone has very cleverly (?) reclassified them from 'boiler' to 'water heater' - presumably on the basis of operating pressure etc - but no doubt duly getting round various pressure vessel requirements etc in the process.  They are definitely very effective heaters of water judging by the output from the taps in our bathroom onboard.

• Like 1

Good Morning All,

I'm afraid that it'll be a just a flying visit from me, although I hope to find the time to read the last week or so's posts and - perhaps - comment.

I am currently alone as SWMBO and the Wolfpack are at the Holiday Hovel. Yours truly, in the interim, has been busy at home setting up my own business (a GmbH as you ask), Apart from moving wodges of cash around from account to account - to satisfy the bank, the tax authorities and the Handelsregister I have also had to take out various - obligatory - insurances, including liability insurance of about £8 million (I may have clients in America....). I have already partnered with a successful company run by a former colleague of mine (as an associate partner) and I have one or two additional leads that seem promising. So, life may get interesting in a bit. In fact, I am so confident about the success of my company that I have already purchased a LearJet (OK, OK, it's a 1/48th scale model, but with my company logo on the model and the creative use of photo shop [here's me deplaning at Hong Kong, here's me just after landing in Tokyo, here's me just after flying in to Davos...] I can create the aura of a very successful company. And as we know, success breeds success). However, the birth of my company has not been without its hiccups: the majority shareholders (me) are objecting to the remuneration package approved by the board of directors (me, Schotty and Lucy) for the CEO and senior management (me).

All joking aside, once the company is officially registered at the Swiss equivalent of Companies House (the Handelregister), I wonder how long it will be before my postbox is crammed full of glossy brochures from companies wishing to sell me expensive services? Incidentally, SWMBO (who is a non-executive owner of the company) wants a camper van and has been pestering me about getting "a mobile office" (to be claimed against tax....). However, the Swiss Tax Authorities get rather shirty about poorly justified "business expenses", so she may have to wait...

The radiculopathy that has been afflicting me is slowly (very slowly) improving. But still not the happiest of campers.

Anyway, gotta dash: I have a "Maharajah Chicken" to prepare for my lunch and I'm famished.

Have a great Saturday.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

And g'day all,

Nota  lot planned for today but this afternoon laddo is off to watch the new Dunkirk film while I shall probably save several £s and watch the 1958 version on the tv - yet again proving that they don't make 'em like they used to.

In order to encourage my indulgence and relaxation the seaweed twirlers of Exeter are predicting considerable volumes of rain but apparently it will not be yellow.   I'm concerned to see that various of our number have not reported in of late and hope that there are no serious problems being suffered.

Meanwhile to those who are here enjoy the rest of your day.

PS.  As Flavio beat me to the draw - congratulations on your new venture and wishing you every success (so I ticked 'Like') but also now a 'Friendly & Supportive' in respect of the radiculopathy (which, of course, I had to Google and that made it sound even worse than trying to spell it).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Don't forget to get your butt out of bed tomorrow on time for your GWR enlightenment.  :boredom:

The alarm is already set. I'm still trying to decide whether to drive or take the train.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

I'm afraid that it'll be a just a flying visit from me, although I hope to find the time to read the last week or so's posts and - perhaps - comment.

I am currently alone as SWMBO and the Wolfpack are at the Holiday Hovel. Yours truly, in the interim, has been busy at home setting up my own business (a GmbH as you ask), Apart from moving wodges of cash around from account to account - to satisfy the bank, the tax authorities and the Handelsregister I have also had to take out various - obligatory - insurances, including liability insurance of about £8 million (I may have clients in America....). I have already partnered with a successful company run by a former colleague of mine (as an associate partner) and I have one or two additional leads that seem promising. So, life may get interesting in a bit. In fact, I am so confident about the success of my company that I have already purchased a LearJet (OK, OK, it's a 1/48th scale model, but with my company logo on the model and the creative use of photo shop [here's me deplaning at Hong Kong, here's me just after landing in Tokyo, here's me just after flying in to Davos...] I can create the aura of a very successful company. And as we know, success breeds success). However, the birth of my company has not been without its hiccups: the majority shareholders (me) are objecting to the remuneration package approved by the board of directors (me, Schotty and Lucy) for the CEO and senior management (me).

All joking aside, once the company is officially registered at the Swiss equivalent of Companies House (the Handelregister), I wonder how long it will be before my postbox is crammed full of glossy brochures from companies wishing to sell me expensive services? Incicentally, SWMBO (who is a non-executive owner of the company) wants a camper van and has been pestering me about getting "a mobile office" (to be claimed against tax....). However, the Swiss Tax Authorities get rather shirty about poorly justified "business expenses", so she may have to wait...

The radiculopathy that has been afflicting is slowly (very slowly) improving. But still not the happiest of campers.

Anyway, gotta dash: I have a "Maharajah Chicken" to prepare for my lunch and I'm famished.

Have a great Saturday.

iD

Perhaps you could get SWMBO a camper van in the same scale as the Learjet

Afternoon from Thalys on our way from Koln to Brussels eating the complimentary meal in first class. I had forgotten that's what. Had booked some months ago when it was the same price as standard. So we made use of the Thalys lounge opposite a Koln station whilst waiting for the bar to open around the corner. A few Kolsch glasses later and we were ready for the Thalys trip.

Beer tonight in Brussels then time to head home in the morning, slumming it in standard class on Eurostar.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I thought of going to see Dunkirk in EH yesterday, fitting it into a shopping trip. So I called into the cinema to check the times to find that the display screens with the times were off. Remember when film times were shown in white plastic letters on a  pegboard? I couldn't be a###d to go in and ask so I got what I needed and went to the pub. I may try today, possibly in town, and look it up on line first.

Later I had a rare evening out, to a pub I used to frequent, met a few people I know and listened to a local band doing 70s rock covers.

Later still I remembered why I prefer not to drink beer in quantity in the late evening.

The rain has arrived, but I put the washing on anyway.

An early lunch beckons, to be followed by much doing of stuff....or a kip.

Have a good day

Pete

Good Morning All,

However, the birth of my company has not been without its hiccups: the majority shareholders (me) are objecting to the remuneration package approved by the board of directors (me, Schotty and Lucy) for the CEO and senior management (me).

The radiculopathy that has been afflicting is slowly (very slowly) improving. But still not the happiest of campers.

Have a great Saturday.

iD

So requesting a pay rise would be barking up th wrong tree?

Good luck in your new venture and good news about the radiculopathy

• Like 13

Morning all.

I didn't get a chance to check in yesterday as we were on a jolly-boys outing to Leigh. 

All went well until the new road layout at Saddlers Farm directed me of my chosen A13 route up to Hadleigh and then turn left to visit a relative in Rayleigh it took me on new roads over to the A127.  

Apart from not recognising anything for several miles I was somewhat surprised to see that the first signpost for Leigh took me into Eastwood and not Hadleigh. 

All the above tale probably only makes sense to TonyS! 

Anyway I was able to show the children my old house, school, Belfairs woods, old Leigh etc. and very impressed they were too by paddling in a stream; some treats never age! 

The traffic in that part of the world took us by surprise and swmbo said she'd never seen the like of the queues for the Dartford tunnel as we returned in the late afternoon. They stretched for several miles to the A21.   

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sun brightly shining but according to the weather guru's its not going to last.

They are still available, just Google 'wind up radios', not expensive either at about £15 a shot. I wonder if there's a market for wind up lap-tops?

I thought about inventing a wind up loco, where there key goes in the side, but realised it would never catch on.....

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I didn't get a chance to check in yesterday as we were on a jolly-boys outing to Leigh. 

All went well until the new road layout at Saddlers Farm directed me of my chosen A13 route up to Hadleigh and then turn left to visit a relative in Rayleigh it took me on new roads over to the A127.  

Apart from not recognising anything for several miles I was somewhat surprised to see that the first signpost for Leigh took me into Eastwood and not Hadleigh. 

All the above tale probably only makes sense to TonyS! 

Anyway I was able to show the children my old house, school, Belfairs woods, old Leigh etc. and very impressed they were too by paddling in a stream; some treats never age! 

The traffic in that part of the world took us by surprise and swmbo said she'd never seen the like of the queues for the Dartford tunnel as we returned in the late afternoon. They stretched for several miles to the A21.

Sadlers Farm still confuses visitors. If heading towards Leigh don't follow the signs for Southend! Yesterday morning the A127 heading towards London was flooded following a burst water main. It must have been a big one.

Hope apart from our local obstacle course road junctions you had an enjoyable day.

Tony

• Like 2

I thought about inventing a wind up loco, where there key goes in the side, but realised it would never catch on.....

A clockwork tram was tried out but not put into service.

THE CLOCKWORK TRAM: 1875

Unlikely as it may seem... it has at least once been seriously proposed to transport people by means of clockwork. Here is the only example I have found so far.

A clockwork tram was built by Thomas Middleton and Co, of Southwark, London, to the design of a Belgian, E H Leveaux. It was used to haul a tramcar at the Lillie Bridge depot of the Metropolitan and District Railway (London) in May 1875, reaching a maximum speed of 7 mph over a half-mile run. Experiments continued into 1876, but were then abandoned.

Unfortunately no technical details are available at present. Presumably there was something like an enormous clockspring, but how was it wound up? By a stationary steam engine?

The compressed-air trams used the same principle, in a sense, as the elasticity of the compressed air can be regarded as a sort of spring. They, however had a much greater range and were reasonably successful.

I had read of such a vehicle some time ago and so as to be sure I "Googed" and the above is from that.

See for yourself here.  http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/POWER/clockwork/clockwork.htm

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A clockwork tram was tried out but not put into service.

THE CLOCKWORK TRAM: 1875

Unlikely as it may seem... it has at least once been seriously proposed to transport people by means of clockwork. Here is the only example I have found so far.

A clockwork tram was built by Thomas Middleton and Co, of Southwark, London, to the design of a Belgian, E H Leveaux. It was used to haul a tramcar at the Lillie Bridge depot of the Metropolitan and District Railway (London) in May 1875, reaching a maximum speed of 7 mph over a half-mile run. Experiments continued into 1876, but were then abandoned.

Unfortunately no technical details are available at present. Presumably there was something like an enormous clockspring, but how was it wound up? By a stationary steam engine?

The compressed-air trams used the same principle, in a sense, as the elasticity of the compressed air can be regarded as a sort of spring. They, however had a much greater range and were reasonably successful.

Surely that's a wind up.

Sadlers Farm still confuses visitors. If heading towards Leigh don't follow the signs for Southend! Yesterday morning the A127 heading towards London was flooded following a burst water main. It must have been a big one.

Hope apart from our local obstacle course road junctions you had an enjoyable day.

Tony

That'd explain the congestion! If it was like that every day it'd put me off going again. 

Speaking of which the signage for the Dartford Crossing seemed to suggest with a big "C" that we had to pay the London Congestion Charge. 

The only payment needed on the govt portal, however, is the Dart Charge £2.50 each way. 

Have I misunderstood? The interactive map shows the congestion charge zone ending near Tower Bridge.....

It was a very enjoyable day and some of the photos on facebook have triggered some nostalgia from school friends across the world who now seem to be planning their own pilgrimages!  

Surely that's a wind up.

Someone had to do it!! It's taken a while coming, however; spring must be wearing out!

BTW, where's that 'groan' button??

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That'd explain the congestion! If it was like that every day it'd put me off going again. 

Speaking of which the signage for the Dartford Crossing seemed to suggest with a big "C" that we had to pay the London Congestion Charge. 

The only payment needed on the govt portal, however, is the Dart Charge £2.50 each way. 

Have I misunderstood? The interactive map shows the congestion charge zone ending near Tower Bridge.....

It was a very enjoyable day and some of the photos on facebook have triggered some nostalgia from school friends across the world who now seem to be planning their own pilgrimages!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/dart-charge-signs-confuse-millions-41861/