Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I enjoy both :boast: and at least when attending the latter, there are no few, enormous backpacks to dodge! :whistle:

......which ballet is it, Tony?

Nutcracker. Aditi has seen it lots of times but she and her friends like to support culture in Basildon. I have been to the Towngate Theatre but it was Sooty and Sweep not the Russian State Ballet. I have been taken to a few ballet performances but whilst I appreciate the skill and athleticism of the performers I just like the music really. So it is nice that she has a few friends to go with who do appreciate it.
  • Like 14

I regularly pass a road sign on the A500 at Stoke, that proudly proclaims the route to its 'cultural quarter'......no offense to the town, but the thought of it makes me chuckle! :mosking:

Ah, Stoke. I went there twice to buy old cars.

I preferred the place when the town had a functioning ceramics industry and yards full of newly-glazed toilet bowls to admire.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

This time last year we got diverted through Stoke on our way north. I thought it looked better than when I was there in the mid 1970s. I did my first teaching practice in Tunstall while I was doing a PGCE at Keele.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I regularly pass a road sign on the A500 at Stoke, that proudly proclaims the route to its 'cultural quarter'......no offense to the town, but the thought of it makes me chuckle! :mosking:

I found those signs very confusing the first time I visited Stoke as they all seemed to point to nowhere in particular.  But at least we went to a genuine china producing factory although it was the works holiday both years when we went there so all we saw was their museum and factory shop.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

The day started off bright and sunny which made a pleasant change for a Saturday morning.

A very enjoyable day spent with Ava and Evie, despite us all having to go to the Trafford Centre this morning, however, that will be the last time we go on a Saturday morning before C*******s thank goodness! It was very busy when we got there at just after 10 o'clock and after a couple of hours we'd had enough and came home for a well earned cup of tea. Any further shopping trips to the T/C will be made midweek early in the mornings! As we were leaving it stared to rain, but it never became heavy.

Dinner was, as is always the case when they are here, was pancakes served with maple syrup, which always goes down a treat.

This afternoon Michael and Sarah dropped by a stayed for a couple of hours, the girls got very excited when they both arrived, as they hadn't seen them for quite a while.

The evening was then spent watching some recorded TV whilst drinking a nice bottle of Malbec.

I've only ever been to Stoke once, that was to Sheila's uncle funeral, that was enough.

Goodnight all.

• Like 1

I watched both games of rugby this afternoon/evening.

The Wales game was disappointing and as Richard says, they didn't deserve to win.

The Scotland game however was totally different and they definitely deserved to beat the All Blacks.

This could be an interesting 6 nations coming up.

Night all.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a still rather dark village. I must admit culture and Basildon sounds like an Oxymoron to me. Anyway I woke up quite early so have some time to browse on here. Then another day at the show. Hopefully we will have a good day. I will get some more muddling done and then the clear up will go well.

However I am enjoying watching the Rugby League (England v PNG). It's not a code that I understand well, having been forced to play Union at school but it certainly moves.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 11

Good morning one and all

I had a good trip to Portsmouth yesterday, including a cuppa [two actually] with JohnDMJ, thanks again kind sir.  The outward run included a pit stop at the Sainsburys in North Watford, where petrol may usually be obtained less expensively than in Bedford.  Having filled the tank I found that Asda across the road would have been slightly cheaper.  On the way back I diverted into Weybridge for dinner with an old friend.  By the time I left it had finally stopped raining.  Not having posted yesterday I have not told you that the address labels for my seasonal greetings cards are printed and the circular letter emerged from the copy bureau unscathed.  All is now ready for preparing the despatch.  Friday also saw me pre-order two [more] CDs due to be released in January and a ticket for a concert in Bedford, also in January, featuring the Hut People.  They are good.  Trust me.

Today will see some unspecified pottering, punctuated by lunch which is another succulent steak from the slab of Jim the Tesco butcher.  The pottering should include unpacking a bunch of m*d*ll*ng requisites purchased yesterday.  It has to because I need my backpack to be empty on Monday.  The week ahead includes a visit to St Neots on Tuesday for an appearance of the very interesting singer Jim Moray, an audience with Sister Diabetes on Friday, Mawkin in concert at The Stables on Saturday [who they? a folkie band from Essex, the name means urchin in local dialect] and an early start on Sunday for the endurance test that is Warley.

It is fortunate that DWP are doing the right thing by Debs.  Resistance is futile.

Warm thoughts to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Lovely day break here in the North West Leeds highlands.

Due to a minor bit of forgetfulness on Friday I now need to travel up the A1 to do some weathering on "my" layout for Warley today. Hopefully the A1 will be free of drivereeediots but I doubt it.

Enjoy whatever you do today.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and fresh here, if there was frost earlier I missed it. The sun is out and will remain for a while but it will get cloudy later.

I've never been to Basildon or Stoke.   :no:

Still grinning after yesterday's rugby result although England really need to sort out giving away stupid penalties. As Duncan said the 6 Nations could be really interesting.

No firm plans for today apart from breakfast shortly and of course the obligatory rugby match after lunch. Quins are visiting Exeter where I suspect they will get a warm welcome.

Tonight we have roast lamb so looking forward to that and I will have to make a decision about which bottle of red will accompany it. Talking of wine I've just ordered a bumper C#######s case of wines and other goodies which is due to be delivered on Tuesday.

Have a good one,

Bob.

PS Anyone still hearing fireworks? They haven't stopped around here - every bloody night since about the middle of October!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

It is fortunate that DWP are doing the right thing by Debs.  Resistance is futile.

The Hive isn`t what it used to be and resistance is now considered 'a tad difficult' :nomention: .....but to be honest; falling numeracy standards are The Collective`s major problem.......Perhaps resultant of assimilation of some of the Galaxy`s intellectually more-challenged biological and technological distinctiveness.

I heard that from: "13 of 7" :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 18