RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Seems to have been raining and a dull cloudy day with light rain or drizzle is forecast.

Rugby was duly watched last night and a great game it was too.  I have survived to tell the tale and The Boss was in fact quite cheerful throughout which may surprise you like it surprised me. 

My back is playing up this morning but hopefully I will be wending my way towards Morden and the Underground later en route to Ally Pally. I'll know more in a couple of hours.

If I don't get there I hope those who do have a great time.

Bob.

• Like 19

Morning all,

So far so good with the current Plan C on the chemo anti-sickness as I have woken up with only a slight feeling in the stomach. I just hope that it stays this way. If it does, the. Today’s plan is for a restful morning, then some live rugby on channel 5, with a break to watch Galatea as it comes through St Bees.

Rick, I was pleased to hear that things went as well as could be expected for you yesterday.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Grey sky but not raining here.

We are going to Enfield after breakfast and Aditi will leave me at a railway station, probably Gordon Hill so that I can go to Alexandra Palace. I should be there before midday.

I hope you all have a good day whatever you are doing.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all from a small piece of history. In 1984 the room we are staying in was one of those badly damaged in an attempt to blow up the senior members of the Conservative Party. Then there is the view over what is today a sloppy grey sea and the mortal remains of the West Pier. The structure is now too dangerous to take down and is being left to the sea. Determined campaigns over the years failed to prevent the structure falling victim to storms, fires and general decay. Today there are no Mods nor Rockers evident, nor anyone who might have inspired the events of Brighton Rock. It is just grey, damp and cold.

I still plan to be at the Palace of Ally tomorrow. My route requires changes at Vauxhall and Finsbury Park. Anyone else for a Sunday out?

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull and overcast but fairly dry and Arfur Itis is not forecasting any rain. GDB get the back pain checked out, I suffered back pain for years and it turned out to be a kidney stone. I didn't discover it until it decided to leave of its own accord, very painful. After the engineer had left yesterday I spotted a loose connector under the table that holds my computer, tracing it back it was to an unplugged transformer/plug for the old hub, the engineer had forgotten to collect it, its marked clearly only to be used on that particular hub. Glad to hear that everything went well Rick and things are going well for Mal now we just have to wait for news from Debs. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Here,

A poor nights sleep in bed made up for by plenty of dozing on the sofa.

The winter keelboat is now out of the water and trussed up like a turkey on its trailer. The crane is hand powered many turns on the handle required.

After that we retired to a cafe, a lamb and mint pie and latte filled a hole nicely. While my sailing compatriot took the boat home I went to...http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk

I've now joined as a friend of the museum, but ended up pulling up a sandbag and telling stories, so didn't go round this time.

Time to inspect the eyelids, before ablutions, and then going to the summer sailing club dinner tonight.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

. GDB get the back pain checked out, I suffered back pain for years and it turned out to be a kidney stone. 

Phil, I've had kidney stones on 3 very exceedingly painful occasions, twice going by ambulance to hospital. I've got a fairly high tolerance to pain but they were worst thing I've ever experienced and not even pethidine injections helped. The current pain is bad enough but nothing compared to that.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

I am sitting down waiting for a train at Gordon Hill station. Due soon. Seems colder here than Benfleet.

It’s higher ;)

Just arrived back upon the Hill of Strawberries with several boxes of stuff from storage at mother’s. Why is every cockwomble in the nation currently terrorising Thames Ditton? An uneventful drive except for the five cars (at just two roundabouts) who all attempted to overtake me on the left while I used the single marked lane.

On the other hand we have discovered mother’s hitherto “secret” hiding place for a large amount of her art work. Some of it dates back to her school days in the 1930s, some we have already determined will be framed and exhibited - her only public exhibition. And all of it is an absolutely priceless family treasure. We knew she was good. We knew she thought she wasn’t and hid her work. We still suspect a lot has quietly been binned over the years. But we even have her original sketches of some superb watercolours which none of us had any previous knowledge of.

And the sheer size and scope of her stamp collection will require professional expertise to assess and value.

We have been completely taken aback by what was found this morning. Light under bushel does not even come close.

• Like 2

Morning...

Not exactly up with the lark - nice evening with friends yesterday, AND, the predicted snow has stayed way south of us so no issue.

Apparently (WE were the last to know) everyone has decided to come over for dinner today, after Jemma and Meagan go shopping, for what I have NO clue!

We simply got a call from Meagan "...Jemma and I are going shopping later and we all thought we'd all come over for dinner afterwards..." - kids, gotta love 'em!

At least Trevor has volunteered to come over and make dinner with the Mrs :O

So, three adults and three dogs over later, until then, AT LEAST until I'm given orders otherwise, I've got the day free...

-1 here and cloudy, headed for +4 supposedly.

Have a good day/afternoon - make sure "someone" posts decent Ally Pally pictures :jester: John, you can blame ME when you tell Debs they're all over ERs :mail:

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

In a train heading to Enfield Chase.

Enjoyable day at the exhibition. Met up for liquid lunch. I also managed to see Baz making some shunting movements.

I bought some track that I didn't plan to.

• Like 18

Well blow me down and tickle me sideways! The Boss seems to think that I've been a bit unhappy this week and is actively encouraging me to go out for the day tomorrow and enjoy myself. Now where could I possibly go?  :scratchhead:

PS It seems she's now not bothered about the rugby on TV either. A lot can happen here in 20 minutes or so.   :whistle:  :banghead:

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" I believe this translates as "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts". As we say in Yorkshire, "There's no such thing as a free lunch,thar noes!" :no: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently (WE were the last to know) everyone has decided to come over for dinner today, after Jemma and Meagan go shopping, for what I have NO clue!

We simply got a call from Meagan "...Jemma and I are going shopping later and we all thought we'd all come over for dinner afterwards..." - kids, gotta love 'em!

Ha! We had a similar call from Nicki earlier who has invited herself, Gemma & Joe for dinner and they're staying the night.  As usual that will cheer me up.   :yes:  :imsohappy:

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull and overcast but fairly dry and Arfur Itis is not forecasting any rain. GDB get the back pain checked out, I suffered back pain for years and it turned out to be a kidney stone. I didn't discover it until it decided to leave of its own accord, very painful. After the engineer had left yesterday I spotted a loose connector under the table that holds my computer, tracing it back it was to an unplugged transformer/plug for the old hub, the engineer had forgotten to collect it, its marked clearly only to be used on that particular hub. Glad to hear that everything went well Rick and things are going well for Mal now we just have to wait for news from Debs. Thats it for now, be back later.

I installed my new hub myself (I've got a Virgin Engineer for a son who advised me).  I thus had to dispose of the old hub and power supply.  The instructions waxed lyrical about the new arrangements for environmentally correct disposal. On checking the website it turned out that I had to take it to the nearest council tip and put it in the electrical items bin.  Before it went I checked the power supply and it turned out to be a 2.5 amp 12 volt one.   It's now powering all the point motors on my mates layout.

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16

Afternoon all

Just enjoying some rugby on Channel 5.

A beautifully sunny day here - and, for the first time this year, there's a little warmth in the direct sunlight - experienced when I strolled to Morrison's. Shame we're dreaming of a white Easter, apparently.

Hope all is still so far so good, Simon, and that the new anti-sickness drugs are working.

Glad to hear that things went well, Rick, and that you've found some pictures and a stamp collection. When we cleared my father's house a couple of years ago we found a lot of his mother's art which, sadly, although good was not quite good enough, if you see what I mean. Some still lifes were good but the landscapes not so. Hope she forgives me for saying that - on the other hand I never knew her. She died in 1974.

Spent some time this afternoon making a tadka/tarka dal/dhal/da'al for tea tonight to go with Gabe's curry. Mmmm, smells good!

Hope your afternoons go well

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  The end of a glorious day on the rock, spring has sproinged. For a few days anyway!

A nice day out down the sound (lands end) for lunch with Jayne and shopping for her new lawnmower completed.  Then some gardening and a photo session of one of our bikes that is the subject of an article in a classic bike magazine in a couple of months. They had asked for a few specific angles that weren't covered in the initial submission.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Ha! We had a similar call from Nicki earlier who has invited herself, Gemma & Joe for dinner and they're staying the night.  As usual that will cheer me up.   :yes:  :imsohappy:

:scenic: OH YA, OH YA, OH YA,    "Bobs of Sutton" best B&B in the area evening meals included in the price.  :jester:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 6

Evening all. Sorry for a further absence, once again caused by the busy working week. My generic good wishes to you all. Special regards to Simon. I hope that the medication is starting to work now.

A hectic week has gone by, finishing with a training day on the Friday. It was not a day I was looking forward to, but the morning turned out to be interesting and inspiring. Sadly the afternoon was less so. However, I have now broken up for the two week Easter break. Hopefully there will be a break this time and I can find time to relax.

The weekend started with an enjoyable day out at the Belper show. It was nice to catch up with a lot of friendly faces. It was worth noting that, despite the uncertain work situation, I felt a lot better than at last year’s event. I think I was at my lowest ebb when I attended last year.

Amber came along to the show with me and charmed many. Two kind gentleman made her day by inviting her behind their 009 layout for an operating stint. A kind gesture and my thanks to them. Whilst there I did a bit of filming for my YouTube project. Previous comments on this site about the idea of model railways on tv led me to wonder what a model railway magazine on screen would be like. My first attempt at one is online now.

Enjoy your weekend.

Andy

• Like 19