The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon All,

The deep fried mars bar/creme egg etc did start as a joke, as far as I know, and I believe that it was done in Aberdeen first (Gavin might verify that or deny it?), but it sort of caught on. 

It came from nearby. Stonehaven, to be precise (where, at the station, semaphore signals still control high-speed running on the ECML - see? There's always a way to crowbar railway trivia in somehow).

Regards,

Gavin

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Well last night's 6V25 tripper from Bescot to Hinksey was apparently stolen by a Reading man and I was whisked off in a taxi to Kings Langley Loop to take 8Z95 with a skated wagon down to Watford Yard instead! It's all go you know.

Tune in next week when 7X25 disappears into the ether and the Monty Python team scale the north face of Bescot Down Goods Loop....  :biggrin_mini2:

That's nasty Nidge - I was one of the nasty barstewards who took freight and engineering train work away from Reading c.1990.   I wonder who let them back in?

And of course we can get deep fried Mars bars for one of the local chippies in the heart of the plush and gentle heart of the Thames Valley although Mary Berry lives at the opposite end of town so is unlikely to be trying one.

• Like 14

…. we can get deep fried Mars bars for one of the local chippies in the heart of the plush and gentle heart of the Thames Valley although Mary Berry lives at the opposite end of town so is unlikely to be trying one.

How do you make a "showstopper" out of a deep-fried Mars bar anyway.....oh hang on, maybe that's "heartstopper" rather than "showstopper".

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

After returning from the solicitors I applied more stain cover paint to the bathroom ceiling. I had missed a few bits but fortunately Aditi noticed.

I then retired to the front lawn and sat and weeded. I resisted the urge to use weed killer. I would still be out there but was summoned in to sort out the coffee machine that was showing a General Alarm error. Soon sorted, turn off at mains, count to 10 and turn back on.

Back to the weeding.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon greetings from a dental waiting room.

Chrisf I wish you a relaxed and enjoyable visit to Sidmouth. It’s been a long time .....

Deep fried Mars bars are perfectly acceptable here thanks, as are deep frozen ones though perhaps not until the imminent treatment has occurred. If you can batter and deep fry it I shall probably enjoy it. Squid and octopus excepted.

Warm sun has returned today and with it an outbreak of legs. Some of them quite easy on the eye, some less so.

My number is up. I am summone to the chair. See you several hundred £££ later.

Sorry about the funny. Fat finger syndrome. Hope things go OK.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Sorry about the funny. Fat finger syndrome. Hope things go OK.Jamie

Perfectly understandable and completely excusable

Our favourite breakfast spot before we left the Land of Oz offered an occasional special called The Elvis. Thick brioche toast covered in peanut butter, layered bacon, griddled banana and maple syrup. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Like 11

It came from nearby. Stonehaven, to be precise (where, at the station, semaphore signals still control high-speed running on the ECML - see? There's always a way to crowbar railway trivia in somehow).

Regards,

Gavin

They're a safety conscious lot in Stonehaven and hate to see anyone drown. 

Not only do they make sure you don't sink in the lido by having it full of salt water. 

But they feed you deep-fried food to make sure you are corpulantly buoyant too! 

:jester:

But to make sure I'll be tucking into my (once-a-year-treat) of kebab en route. 

post-4299-0-06233900-1533062180_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

That's nasty Nidge - I was one of the nasty barstewards who took freight and engineering train work away from Reading c.1990.   I wonder who let them back in?

And of course we can get deep fried Mars bars for one of the local chippies in the heart of the plush and gentle heart of the Thames Valley although Mary Berry lives at the opposite end of town so is unlikely to be trying one.

Fear not Mike I was only jesting - Reading and Rugby men share the Hinksey-Bescot-Hinksey tripper and have done for some time, it just happened that control arranged for him to return south early with V25 so that he could get done within his hours and I was then available (purloined!) to help out with the skated wagon move, which had been marooned at Kings Langley since last Thursday apparently. I'm on V25 again tonight which is booked to go south out of Bescot via Aston / Stetchford / Cov / Leamington rather than over Sutton 'Jurassic' Park / Tyseley etc. It's been like this on several of our jobs for some weeks now, lots of swapping round to keep all the plates spinning, it doesn't help that blokes are having to be taken off their normal jobs for the Oxford resignalling brief either. Twas ever thus though, eh.

Looking back over the last few weeks it really has been quite hectic, I'm sure I've driven more 'liners in a month than I have in the previous ten years. We've got ballast jobs coming out of our ears on the West Coast and Midland mainlines and because of our central location we're picking up all sorts of jobs which other depots can't cover, unit drags, 'liners, diverted cement tanks, aggregates, infrastructure, as I said earlier it's all go at the minute.

Tonight's 6V25 will be accompanied by copious dollops of tea, a flapjack or two and a few old Mini magazines  ;)

• Like 19

Morning all,

Useless Utilities have struck again! Today we were expecting a team to arrive to have another go at locating our leaking water supply pipe. Lo and behold, at 8.45 a truck arrives and two guys get out. The trouble is these guys have come to fill In the existing holes, not investigate the pipe. I explain that the leak still hasn’t been sorted, but they insist that because the hole has been there for so long, they have been told that it must be filled in. I am letting them get on with it, knowing that there is every chance that another adjacent hole may have to be dug later today.

More updates as things develop (hopefully!).

Second UU team arrived about an hour after the first team had left and were not impressed that the hole had been filled in. Two more large holes were dug adjacent to previous holes, but the pipe was still not located. According to the gear they use for finding these pipes, they just didn’t dig deep enough, despite having got to nearly 5 feet deep! Plan B has now been agreed to ignore the old leaking pipe, and install a new one all the way from our meter near the road to our stopcock. This will involve some crawling around under floorboards, which in turn will need the freezer in the kitchen to be moved to access the hatch to get under the floorboards. This is planned for Thursday, and possibly carrying over into Friday. I dread to think what will go wrong next!

Our favourite breakfast spot before we left the Land of Oz offered an occasional special called The Elvis. Thick brioche toast covered in peanut butter, layered bacon, griddled banana and maple syrup. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Sorry Rick, that's not for me - I hate peanut butter for a start! As a boy the American childrens programs imported by ITV had children constantly eating peanut butter sandwiches. So I got my mother to buy a jar - turned out to be ghastly stuff.

And as for ruining good bacon with bananas and syrup - Oh Dear!

When I very occasionally have a cooked breakfast make it bacon, sausages, fried eggs, mushrooms and buttered toast! Oh, and forget this hash brown nonsense :) :) 

Dave

p.s. As a dessert I do like a banana split - don't see very often anymore.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Rick, that's not for me - I hate peanut butter for a start! As a boy the American childrens programs imported by ITV had children constantly eating peanut butter sandwiches. So I got my mother to buy a jar - turned out to be ghastly stuff.

When I very occasionally have a cooked breakfast make it bacon, sausages, fried eggs, mushrooms and buttered toast! Oh, and forget this hash brown nonsense :) :) 

Dave

Yes and no.

I enjoyed the Elvis breakfast. We often enjoy French Toast with bacon and maple syrup on Sunday mornings. But I do enjoy a good traditional fry-up which includes eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, fried bread, baked beans (not fried) and toast too. Ideally I would add hog’s pudding though have substituted black pudding once or twice. I prefer no mushrooms and definitely no spinach as the Aussies are keen on doing. Hash brown? Yes please, but chat potatoes or bubble & squeak are better.

And tea. Lots of tea.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Two crazy days in a row at work, some staff off too so I'm a bit frazzled, rather than a Fraggle.  Goods dispatched to those ER's in need....  ;-) oh and me.  Had to get one of those Maunsell diners!

Cool today, only made 20, and now its blowing a hoolie.  

The breakdown on the ferry the other day was quite notable, a turbo actually threw its blades out of the casing and caused a fire - proper brown trouser job.  You don't want to be in line with a big turbo when it spits its bits out, they're 'rather' larger than something off a car.  Death (gory, and may smart) may result.

• Like 18

Second UU team arrived about an hour after the first team had left and were not impressed that the hole had been filled in. Two more large holes were dug adjacent to previous holes, but the pipe was still not located. According to the gear they use for finding these pipes, they just didn’t dig deep enough, despite having got to nearly 5 feet deep! Plan B has now been agreed to ignore the old leaking pipe, and install a new one all the way from our meter near the road to our stopcock. This will involve some crawling around under floorboards, which in turn will need the freezer in the kitchen to be moved to access the hatch to get under the floorboards. This is planned for Thursday, and possibly carrying over into Friday. I dread to think what will go wrong next!

You should write a song about all this!

• RMweb Gold

I'm struggling to see the connection between legal services and doing a Michaelangelo.

No connection really, just the order in which things happened. Though I suspect the fumes from the paint could affect ones competency so better to visit the solicitor first.

Tony

• Like 15

Have you still got time to buy an emergency generator?

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Here we are Dave, just for you!

Evening

Alexa is playing around the house at the moment - the 'everywhere' play commend is good if you want all these devices to paly the same music :sungum:

Another busy day at Mums then off to Ikea and other out of town stores before heading back to assemble the gomputer desk for her. Still plenty more to do so will be back there again on Thursday.

edit - and talking of breakfast, I may be heading ot Wetherspoons in the morning.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea for my Thursday morning order although I'll probably add a grilled tomato and a sausage ;) 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Doing a bit of sorting out of the spare room. Found a few things that had been long forgotten, sat down to examine them and then found that I then had no time left for sorting out the room.

No wonder he died from constipation.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

You should write a song about all this!

• Like 1