RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, 81C said:

Some of the missing could be down to the pitiful performance of this forum who wants to sit at a desk looking at a blank or stationary screen in-between changing threads.

P.A.H. Addenough

To prove a point it took 30 seconds to save this post.

Over 30 seconds?

It typically takes me multiple attempts over 10 - 15 minutes to log on, then as long again to compose and save a post.  Very frustrating.  It is surely driving a number of folk away and I have no doubt is causing cyber-apoplexy in York Towers.

The email notification system appears terminally broken.  It was once only necessary to read the emails without logging into the site until ready to reply.  They arrived in order and within a minute or so after a post was made.  Since the "upgrade" they have arrived randomly out of order, not all topics I post in even generate them, I continue to receive as many as six notifications for a single post often two or three within a few minutes and then at intervals of hours afterwards.  My poor inbox is groaning; whereas once there might have been 50 emails for a day's worth of ER there are now something like 250 - 300 but for a lesser number of posts.  That takes a lot of deleting from a mobile phone where each has to be selected individually.

Enough whining - there is coffee to be drunk.  Or enough coughing - there is wine to be drunk.  

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 81C said:

things to do and places to go enjoy yours :superman: Pete Aker :biggrin_mini2:

BTW

Andy B I believe Duncan met a very nice Lady and has not come up for air since and he had only just started his own business, I did text him soon after he went of the radar but got no reply .

Totally agree.  Duncan had tentatively arranged to help us at Gresley, had just gone out on his own (should have been no surprise to RMwebbers because of his then workload) but had mentioned over dinner that he had met someone ... pleased to know that it went well and therefore not surprised to see that he no longer spends hours on this site like we poor 8888 still do!

Delays and email  notifications long after visiting the site as per Rick and others still a problem ... might account for quite a lot of the time spent on the site.

Edited by PeterBB
Added comment and spelling
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I can't find Vincent (DutchMaster) in the list of members. I might be wrong but ISTR that something was said here somewhere on the forum that upset him considerably.

How and where is the member's list accessed now - It's one area that I have yet to find in the new and "improved???" version of this forum?

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  2,

You may have noticed my rather abrupt end to the last post,  but time caught up and I had a crane meeting to go to. 

That went very well,  the syndicate is to be reformed,  and there are 15 who have put their name down. 

That extracts the running of the crane from those who want to over complicate things. 

An engineer in the club syndicate will run the syndicate for the first year controlling various technical charges required.  But the club treasurer will hold the monies in a separate account  on our behalf.

The major new requirement is to use the same insurance company as the club,  this will push up costs. 

The new annual fee is likely to be £50-£60 instead of £ 25..

My sailing compatriot has reached his mid life crisis... He turned up on a motorbike .

And prior to all that I extracted one old garage door,  with difficulty,  then used the ply I'd bought to act as a basis for a door to temporarily board over one side. 

The remaining door fittings were removed from the frame, 

The final brickying work was completed.

Then the other half of the doorway was boarded over for the week.

Next week I'll remove one panel make a door and fit,. Then the other panel remove make door and fit.

Anytime left will be spent building the frame work of the bench..

Measurements of both trailers were taken. The final design for the hard top for the goods trailer is basically the simplest. A cutting  list is partly made.. 

That for the boat trailer is still under consideration,  a balance of work required,   cost and planned usage has to be met.  

I will get a winch bumper for the landrover and a front towball. Though the changes to the crane will require it to be a towball and pin. This will not be carried out till the autumn. 

Oh the changes to the boat, I designed it to be about 16ft long,  then came home on holiday to find we had no allcomers B entries. So I Upped the length to 18ft which actually turned out to be 18ft 6inches..this put me in Allcomers A,.

When I eventually came home permanently , the club had started a very successful sailing school, and now allcomers B is the biggest class. So I've taken out 28inches out of the middle. 

Allcomers B has 4 races a day,  Allcomers A just one race a day as the rest of the time they split up into one design classes. 

Allcomers A open boats over 17.5 ft that's reedlings,  rebels,  white boats and yeoman. 

Allcomers B,  boats between 12.5ft and 17.5ft mostly dinghies,  like lasers,  enterprises, etc

Allcomers C boats less than 12.5ft, toppers,  optimists, and Mirrors. Often this class is split up into,  bronze ( beginners),  silver ( they know what they're doing),  gold ( will beat many adults). 

So that's it for today,  a home made Chinese has been eaten,  Ben is keeping my feet  warm,  a coffee  is to be finished,  then eyelid inspection beckons.. 

Bye for now.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I was surprised to read Rick's post about his difficulties with this site.  At time i do find it takes a little while longer to get on. (hopefully that will not turn out to be some famous last words).    And at times some forums do seem to take longer than others to open as well as page changes and posts taking their time appearing but never in terms of double figure minute unless the site is having major hiccoughs.  Is it partially down to the browser used or indeed the speed of your internet connection.  And even more so is it a case that entering via a side door to a particular forum is slower than going in via the front door to the home list of forums?  For example coming in through the front door and then to this subforum via Wheeltappers just took me 7 seconds including 'button tapping' time for the two buttons after the site had opened (which took 2 - 3 seconds within the total 7 seconds).

Somebody might know the answer about the speed situation (murky cloud troubles possibly) but are there any other common factors?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 8
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

At first I struggled with the changes but after adjusting the settings as suggested its fine.  It is different to the previous version though and maybe that's what irks people.  I find the "search" facility a bit trying at times. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

The devices used, the browser and isp are the same as they have been for a couple of years.  The desktop Mac is 12 years old, slower than a snail with a zimmer frame and is about to be replaced. But the iPhone which is what I use most of the time gives significantly worse results than it used to. 

I normally enter via an email TRN link which once took me to the last unread post. It now takes me to the specific post meaning I might have to scroll back to avoid missing something. I haven’t quite mastered the new forum index yet; I was happy before scanning through unread topics which I had set to seven days. I’m not quite at ease with the way that now works. 

I replied earlier to a post in the Class 800 topic. I received the email over 20 minutes after the post was made (used to be nearly instantaneous) and it took around 20 seconds for the link to respond. It then took another couple of minutes for “saving” to convert into my new post. And all the time draining the battery. 

ER is almost 7500 pages and if I remember the tiny bit of systems that I ever learned then every page request will result in every post being opened in the backend which does take time. It is taking significantly more time now than before the “upgrade” all other things being equal. 

Enough already. There is cluckbird a-roasting and I need to attend to some vegetabilia to accompany it. That and ensuring the wine is suitably chilled. 

Back anon. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

I rarely write a post on here ‘live’, instead I write my posts in ‘notes’ on my iPad, or ‘Word’ on the laptop/desktop. That way I can add/delete stuff throughout the day. All I do when I want to post is cut and paste in the evening, (this one was done this way) As for notifications, like Baz, I turned off ALL email notifications, there were just far too many. What I have done however, is amend my personal settings to show only the posts I follow and have condensed what shows up. Each unread post is in bold , this way I can quickly find which is the earliest unread post. I must admit that it took a long time to get it the way I wanted but it all seems ok now. The only trouble I have logging on is when it is peak times, then the whole internet slows down, not just the rmweb. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I have had a few minor problems with the new site and it does run slow at times. I use Chrome to view this site but some things such as Facebook and Paypal seem to be better on Firefox. I only use a laptop so I can't comment on other devices.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have tried different browsers, I have e mail notifications turned off, but it still often takes a minute or more for a post to er, post, or a page to open.  No other forum I use has any issues, including one that obviously uses the same software!  Thoroughly sick of it in fact.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

I don’t seem to have any problems with this site unless it is during the times that AndyY indicates there is a specific problem. Most of my browsing is done via an iPad using Chrome. It seems ok on my PC (Windows 10 using Edge browser) too.

i don’t log on or off each time either so it is usually logged in. The PC sometimes asked to be logged in to RMWeb but not always. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Barry O said:

81C ... it is somewhere in your settings... as it seems to only affect some people could it be your browser???.

As far as email notifications I have turned them off to stop any blocking my inbox. I do get a message if someone PMs me. 

I use the little star on topics to go to last post - it all seems to work OK for me..I am using Chrome and Windows 10.

However I am having problems with farcebook and Paypal on occasion. They drop out suddenly and/or won't let me select topics.

Horsetan is enjoying himself riding his horse and ...being Horsetan. (he had been banned for an apparent misdeed)

Not really sure that the meeting with "someone" is the complete answer for Duncan.. he sometimes communicated with me by email..but he hasn't answered any of those for a long time.

As it happens my very poorly marra succumbed to the Big C this morning.  He and I were seen as rivals at Vickers but we always had a chat and a catch up whenever we could.

Baz

Nothing wrong with the settings it only happens on here, AY told me to use Microsoft Edge sometime back when Chrome went pear shaped again it only happened on here nowhere else

I will log back in with Chrome to see if it improves if not there are plenty of forums which I use a lot elsewhere I only come on here because of you guys and the A.N.T.Brent gang and for

no other reason as for this forum it's pretty much bottom draw stuff. 

I was hoping to see Ivan in May at EXPO EM but I'm in Cuba visiting the In Laws so I might catch him an Railex and Duncan did say because of his work we would not see him so often but he

just dropped of the face of the earth it would be good to know that he,s OK.

Bob

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Baz I've logged in with chrome and its faster I'll see how it goes .

Thank you and goodnight.  D.Frost 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Should have said Win10, edge/chrome/IE all the same.  And ow for the first time my last post (toot toooooot…..) was in this box when I opened it to type this response.  I haven't had that particular PIA before.  It takes me twice as long to post as it used to, the posts I follow/favourites thing is make believe, just sick of the whole thing. As frustrated as 81C with it.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I only sign out when the software does a wobbly and does it for me.  And Rick it ought to be a lot faster if you renew the Mac and get a newer version of Safari although it would probably pay to clear out the cookies etc for RMweb as you might well have a couple there happily conflicting with each other and electronically arguing over which one is going to get you in - always a worthwhile job on Safari I have found even if the list takes forever to come up.

In the meanwhile our intrepid explorer has returned from La belle France after finding no revolting hindrances preventing access to/from the shuttle railway'  presumably they have a different brand of  (rather more helpful) Civil Servant in Calais than is the case in Paris?  The Mini was suitably weighed down with various classes of shopping from Carrefour so even I had a little drop of the vin rouge with dinner this evening.

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Over 30 seconds?

It typically takes me multiple attempts over 10 - 15 minutes to log on, then as long again to compose and save a post.  Very frustrating.  It is surely driving a number of folk away and I have no doubt is causing cyber-apoplexy in York Towers.

The email notification system appears terminally broken.  It was once only necessary to read the emails without logging into the site until ready to reply.  They arrived in order and within a minute or so after a post was made.  Since the "upgrade" they have arrived randomly out of order, not all topics I post in even generate them, I continue to receive as many as six notifications for a single post often two or three within a few minutes and then at intervals of hours afterwards.  My poor inbox is groaning; whereas once there might have been 50 emails for a day's worth of ER there are now something like 250 - 300 but for a lesser number of posts.  That takes a lot of deleting from a mobile phone where each has to be selected individually.

Enough whining - there is coffee to be drunk.  Or enough coughing - there is wine to be drunk.  

Instructions here.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120848-little-muddle/&do=findComment&comment=3460188

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Quite trivial, really, but a grand example of how the NHS can respond effectively, thanks.

Much more important is the status update that I have just read. Purley Oaks lost his battle last Monday, according to a most remarkably composed update by Gabe. What a lady!

Check it out for yourselves.  

Thanks for your news Ian however sad. Where is Gabe's update please as I can't find it on RMweb.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

What a busy but enjoyable weekend it has been at Ally Pally. Had a chat with many rmwebbers plus other long time friends from my old Model Railway club, exhibition mangers etc. plus a work collegue of our late friend and a trainee  who he interviewd prior to becoming ill. I Looked at very few layouts as just didnt get the chance. Layout ran well generally but the odd hiccup and when one happens it just mushrooms when a 12 foot long N scale train is run through turnouts not set for them and whilst combining two trains to form a 20 foot one looks imrpessive , it doesnt like the 12 inch curves but a lot of good comments when it was running fine plus a few more shows for this 10 year old layout and also an invite for the proposed new layout ' Blackmoor Gate'. WIll have to get building it soon but I ought to concentrate on the new workshop for whihc a reasonable price received last night for a timber base to build it on.

We were down on crew at close of the show and with just the small passenger lift it took us over an hour to load the layout into the car then another 1hr 45 to get home. We all had a good weekend though and my other half bought me another Bulleid light pacific (name tba) with a small bit of her bonus but she didnt find any more Norfolk Southern N scale locos to buy this time.

Stock, PC's etc all unloaded but the boards will be tomorrow.

Edit

Sad to hear of Paurely Oaks passing although I never knowingly met him, he waill be missed on ER's.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

After around two hours of trying and receiving timeout errors I return to this most distressing news. 

Thoughts with Gabe at this time. 

That is all. 

• Agree 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1