The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Nice to see Polly is around greetings to Ray might we see you both at Didcot/Fawley Hill this year?

Today I've a claim to get off to Barclay card for a few bob I really don't know what I'm doing with all the paper work that has been acquired

I'll shove it in an envelope and send it to then.

Her has planned the rest of the week to make sure we are ready for the off to the "do" I'm looking forward to getting away for a few days

I will search out local maps of Lewes for a car parks and places to visit.

must get on enjoy your day :superman:  G. Lobe-Trotter :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

From what I can see Rick was simply stating an opinion rather than cultivating anything; I do hope that providing there is nothing offensive involved that expressing an opinion is permitted?

A different perspective was that a negative post had just been made in the relevant topic (no problem with that) but when I see it being ported into another topic (presumably to solicit reaction) which isn't the place for technical grumbles then a line is crossed hence the cultivation comment. It was a long hard day thanks to some so it was unlikely to engender a sympathetic response from this end.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

As cricketting goes, my finest catch was in the slips.

A games lesson at school where I was showing little interest in the game, and was busy swatting away a wasp when the ball appeared in my hand!

Did you catch the wasp as well? I was at a cricket match were a fielder made a perfect catch then acted as if the ball was red hot and dropped it. It turned out that the ball had collected a wasp in flight and that despite being stunned stung the catcher.

• Like 9
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afternoon all, well the howling wind has abated and the rain reduced similarly, the deep snow being experienced inland has not appeared, but apart from getting some fuel in for the fire, not going out there today thankyou. Measured up the roof for the new coverings on the TOSH ready for when or if we get a fine day to fix it, not touched the railway for a while due to inability to ascend to the room. There is however some serious dismantling to be done soon, not lifted ballasted track before, I hope it comes up all right as I would like to re cycle most of it. A rather unpleasant stomach feeling today, I think I can no longer eat pickled onions since my op, first re action to food since the gall bladder was removed, maybe it was the vinegar??

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, BoD said:

Wasp stings can't be any worse than cricket ball stings.

Dad has a small curved section of thumb flesh missing, due to a failed attempt at catching a new ball and the seam taking it off...

• Friendly/supportive 15

27 minutes ago, BoD said:

Cricket balls tend only to hurt when you drop them or don't catch them cleanly. (apart from hitting you elsewhere when batting, and, in Baz's case, umpiring.

I have never been hurt by a wasp when playing cricket.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon all. And after a foggy and frosty start to the day it has turned out nice. 

Hoping to get an opinion...

For a return journey from Waterloo to SVG is it better to go via Blackfriars or Kings X ? The journey planner also seems to have thrown in St. Pancreas as an option for the return journey. 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Depends if you end up in hospital for three days including emergency surgery and antibiotic drips to avoid sepsis - the culprit was a long dead wasp 'sting' while dusting in the clubhouse!

• Friendly/supportive 18

I didn't play a lot of cricket, but on one occasion I decided you can't run far wearing one of those "boxes", so I didn't, I now know you can't run far without when you get hit "a mid ships" as it were. couldn't see where I was going for the tears!!

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, AndyB said:

Afternoon all. And after a foggy and frosty start to the day it has turned out nice. 

Hoping to get an opinion...

For a return journey from Waterloo to SVG is it better to go via Blackfriars or Kings X ? The journey planner also seems to have thrown in St. Pancreas as an option for the return journey. 

Andy,

If your train stops at Vauxhall, then Vic to KX/STP.  Otherwise from W'loo, Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, cpi Vic to KX/STP.  Then the decision, either KX or there are four an hour from the Thameslink platform at STP.

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hump day!

Little to report from yesterday, all quiet on the Midwestern front!

Today, meeting with the contractor at the new house. Since the "flood" event and the tenants departure we can move up the remodeling we want to do, and have a few alternative ideas to run by him. With luck he can get started sooner than originally planned, always a good thing.

That's about it from merry old (well rather NEW compared to other places) Minnesota for now.

-1 and sunny first thing, 11 expected for the high. The few remaining snow piles fast disappearing, likely all gone by today or tomorrow.

Enjoy.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Finally got here after chiropractification and shopping plus a bit of lunch (baked beans so take care).  I am signing up for the Gold membership as in theory it should save me money overall with my BRM subscription cancelled but there are some problems in getting the link to the back numbers sorted and warners are working on that.  Overall not a bad thing and as I usually put money in the RMweb pot in pre-Warners days having to pay doesn't really worry me and it does help the site.

Little else going on apart from the collapse of the log stack alongside the garage.   Quite why it has suddenly gone after being there quite happily for several months doesn't make much sense to me so I presume the law of s*d has applied itself.:butcher:

Enjoy the rest of the day and may the rain keep off a bit longer

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

No, fortunately not.

Many, many, years ago whilst stationed in Cyprus, I  was part of a group clearing the parachuting DZ.  This involved picking up all the large rocks that were scattered all over the place and depositing them in a trailer for disposal elsewhere.  (I subsequently  made a small side business out of this pile in providing rocks for rock gardens!)

On picking up one such rock, I thought I'd stabbed myself with a thorn, but it turned out to be a Scorpion.

A trip to the  med centre ensued with not much in the way of medical support offered.

Six hours later, I was in hospital..............  I went back to work on what I thought was the next day, only to find out I'd actually been in hospital for 48 hours under heavy sedation.

Ironically, one of my jobs prior to Cyprus had been driving CVRT........Scorpions to be exact!

Ah the joys of driving a Dinky Toy.. the roar of the Jag engine (guess which designer boss had his own E Type down at Chertsey??)... still going today albeit with a cummins diesel ( the CVR(T) that is not the E Type).

Indoor cricket uses a solid, very hard, red plastic ball (like a hockey ball but with a moulded seam and made using red plastic. It seems a lot harder than a normal cricket ball..and there very few hiding places in a indoor cricket court (made up of 4 normal net lanes).

Baz

• Like 16

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Afternoon all, well the howling wind has abated and the rain reduced similarly, the deep snow being experienced inland has not appeared, but apart from getting some fuel in for the fire, not going out there today thankyou. Measured up the roof for the new coverings on the TOSH ready for when or if we get a fine day to fix it, not touched the railway for a while due to inability to ascend to the room. There is however some serious dismantling to be done soon, not lifted ballasted track before, I hope it comes up all right as I would like to re cycle most of it. A rather unpleasant stomach feeling today, I think I can no longer eat pickled onions since my op, first re action to food since the gall bladder was removed, maybe it was the vinegar??

Tiger,  I do know of one person with an acetic acid allergy but , looking on the internet, it isn't common. 

There is a risk that allergies become more serious over time, so I suggest you ingest a small amount of vinegar (fish & chips?) with someone else present.  If you suffer an allergy, then it's a 999 call.  If no reaction, then maybe another pickled onion tomorrow.

Bill

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4