RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Wikipedia indicates that the first combined volume of The Lord Of The Rings was first published in 1968. The cover illustration was by Pauline Baynes.

My Pauline Baynes' map of middle earth did not make the trans-Pacific crossing with me and was purloined by my sister with deleterious results. The original is now highly collectible.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Like yesterday, I opened my mouth too soon, by dinner time this morning’s lovely sunshine had turned to drizzle but, by teatime is was absolutely chuckinitdarn. 

99% all the paint on the cellar walls has been removed, all that’s left are a few stubborn spots, which I’ll hopefully get done next week. What is now noticeable, is has just dark it’s starting to look down there. Which only goes to show just how much light is reflected of the walls, even though the walls weren’t exactly white, more an off-white, but they are now mainly down to bare brick. To celebrate, I decided to pour myself a bottle of trooper, which really hit the spot.

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

As the roads in and around Seattle appear to have been designed by a bunch of sh!t-faced sailors I refuse to drive there without GPS.

Edited by AndyID
sperling
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 9

9 minutes ago, AndyID said:

As the roads in and around Seattle appear to have been designed by a bunch of sh!t-faced sailors I refuse to drive there without GPS.

A few years ago, when they were doing major changes over several miles of a freeway here, there were notices at each end of the works saying "Do not trust your GPS" !

• Like 7
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

We bought our GPS for our first trip to California. SWMBO likes the "arrival time" part of it. I like that it doesn't get distracted by scenery or whatnot.

She does pronounce "Pinebush" with 3 syllables.

We had one in a rental car in Florida that absolutely refused to direct us onto the toll roads. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

We had one in a rental car in Florida that absolutely refused to direct us onto the toll roads. 

Easily changed in 'Settings', I would have thought.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, chrisf said:

My taste buds may well have been baffled by successive onslaughts from Adnams ale, salted caramel ice cream and eucalyptus pastilles. 

More like beaten into submission!

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

A quick good morning from a grey and cold part of the Charente.    Much final sorting to do before our big trip starts tomorrow.    So I'll wish you all a good day and wish Chrisf a safe and enjoyable journey to my old part of the world.   Hopefully the lurgi will be left in the south.

Jamie

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

2.5 hours sleep wake to find better position. 2.5 hours sleep, wake up brain goes into overdrive so that's it..

Overdrive? yes thinking of the stuff I need to do tomorrow.

1st is to fix the outside lights, yesterday SWMBO turned them on to illuminate Ben the Border Collie's evening patrol, and all the down stairs lights went out.  That's 2 of the three on that switch that have failed, a trip via Screwfix on the way home will be required (LED Floodlights),

Finish the garage doors

Then to continue working on the new bench in the garage.

If there is time left then I have bought most of the wood for the trailer hard top, I may paint the insides of which basic white before I start..

Anglia Home improvements van 1115 wins yesterday's cockwomble award,

Comes out of the side road on my right, while indicating left, he turns right causing me to brake to avoid him,

At the next junction while still indicating left turns right on to main road.

Passes two more left junctions, going straight on while indicating left.

Cancels indicators on straight bit of road..

Just in time to turn left with NO indicators.

At the next Junction he turns right NO indicators.

I lose him soon afteras I turn off  into the grounds of a big orange shed..

I'm guessing he's a failed Audi or BMW driver as he managed to get the indicators on, even if he can't use them correctly..

Still got the Chinese system, it's failed 2 out of 8 identical runs, the first one of course being the first crosscheck run I did, overnight it's been run many times against a different equipment to see which is at fault. (just the bit that failed).

The other identical system of ours is at a standstill because one of the bit of equipment it needs to be tested with, is having it's own calibration.

So I'm waiting at this moment on the third fourth resistance measurement this morning.

Time too. wait just a little longer for the fourth measurement to settle (someone walked in upsetting the measurement..)

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Sunny but a tad chilly here this morning. 

Chris..safe journeys up the M1..bring your passport.:jester:  I may see you tomorrow so leave the lurgy at the border .

Jamie, enjoy your trip to see the 2nd biggest engine..or are you going to visit the H8  as well???

Off to do the shopping, then post the house selling stuff, then prepare for various furniture shunting manoeuvres. 

Robert hope the house reorganisation goes well.

Have a great day everyone especially those that ail or are in need of our support.

Baz

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

A quick good morning from a grey and cold part of the Charente.    Much final sorting to do before our big trip starts tomorrow.    So I'll wish you all a good day and wish Chrisf a safe and enjoyable journey to my old part of the world.   Hopefully the lurgi will be left in the south.

Jamie

Have a great trip Jamie and let's have some photographs, particularly of the Big 'un. 

Dave

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue, it’s also a lot warmer today, 8C instead of yesterday’s 1C. Sheila has decided to to accompany me to the Trafford Centre this morning, so today’s trip will be fairly quick. My return journey will be detoured to take me past the butchers where I will pick up the weekly meat rations and 4 steak and ale pies, which will be part of tonight’s tea. These were requested last week by both James and Amelia, but neither I nor Sheila have any objections. 

Back later

• Like 15

Greetings all. I have just had to ‘clear editor ‘ for the first time.

i am off work today to take Elder Lurker for a hospital appointment. 11.55 on a school day is their idea of either during the school holidays or first thing so he doesn’t miss too much school! It is nothing serious; just teenage acne that he us very sensitive about and but which is being given a helping hand in clearing up.

it does mean an effective long weekend for me.

condolences to Mike and best wishes to those who are ailing with the dreaded lurgy start to recover soon; it does sound a nasty one.

i hope that Jamie’s big trip is good and that Chrisf (which was autocorrected to the saviour) is not ensnared in Wakey, Mrs Lurker went to school there and knew my cousins- better than I do in fact!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1