The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

I think I have found my soul mate 2 hours on the phone last night she sounds a dream lady here spoken word was making my body tingle .:wub:

The little lad Zeus went for his jabs yesterday I must phone see if he is alright I was playing with him earlier in he day my daughter will have her hands full with him he's so hyper.

looking forward to my date tomorrow and I will be partaking coffee with my prospective soul mate Monday at Costa Coffee how romantic can a man get with the pretty ladies.:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Well, the various sea weed and pine cone users seem to have reached a major decision...no rain after 12 noon here!

Fingers crossed. .time for a brunch then off to the ground for 11:45 to prepare for a 1pm start.

TTFN

Baz 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining (at the moment) but we’ve had heavy rain overnight and the ground is very wet. I’ll shortly be going to pick up Ava and Evie who are going to help me put some of the plants we bought on Wednesday in the ground. 

I’ve not got round to making pies yet, mainly due to the effect they have on Sheila. As much as she likes pies or pastry, (sweet or savoury) unfortunately they don’t like Sheila, she can have one every now and then, but she rarely eats a full one, giving me the majority of the crust. So it would be down to me to eat them all and as much as I LOVE pies, I wouldn't to eat them every day, although it is very tempting. 

Right, it’s off to pick up the girls, back later. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

One forecast that I looked at earlier was predicting fine weather but is now predicting thundery showers whilst a second has swung the other way.  Neither agree with the rainfall radar and its predictions.  I feel a Victor Meldrew moment coming on.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Windy (not from the broad beans or (mildly) chilli chicken with garlic, peppers, onions, mushrooms and soy created and consumed last night), passing clouds (cue exotic cigarettes from the 60s?) and expected persisting with illuminations from early afternoon. Widowed guest arriving for an overnight stay tomorrow so significant efforts to tidy house / prepare dishes / lay in stocks of g&t plus extras, nibbles et al.

Despite the apparent problems other ERs have with their Apple products, (and somewhat tempting fate I suppose), mine continue to work reliably and even allowed me to completely reformat an old external hard drive so that I can start a library of photographs taken since I received my newer and better camera. Perhaps Eve has got to me as I am comfortable with my Braeburns. I do have issues with some commercial e-mail and internet search engine providers who apparently fail to store messages that I want for future reference. I am also VERY cautious about the immense amount of data that the likes of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and their ilk are accumulating together with our governments' desire to investigate our very thoughts. To that end, I connect via a secure virtual private network, I always send important messages to print but then save in pdf format rather than paper. Those files are retained on separate and external drives that are only connected when I need to access or add to them. Paranoid or just Black Sabbath? :mocking_mini:

If I need to get back in my box and out of SWMBO's hair as she takes over the kitchen in preparation for the above-mentioned widower's visit, I may just build a working square post (with pretty red orbs on the finials) signal or two with rectangular arms that point downwards when clear and are painted red and white. The chances are, to be honest, quite low. 

Peace, brothers and sisters, peace :bye:

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And the s*dding Editor has had to be cleared yet again, I think he's taken up residence for the rest of this month.  In the light of a 'good' weather forecast herself put out the washing a couple of hours back, it's still there having had a slight additional t rinse from the very brief shower that passed a little while back.  Presumably so brief taht it wasn't worth mentioning among the no rain forecast for today?  Yet oddly  the same mob's radar shows the shower now it has passed (hadn't bothered to check it previously - I believed the forecast).

And talking of forecasts I'm wondering about 81C Bob's dream lady.  Going back a long while there was a lady on the switchboard at Reading whose voice was enough to turn a young man's heart to very serious wishes and intentions.  However when you dropped in of an evening with the wires (telegrams for non-railway folk) the visual reality offered a level of disappointment without parallel in the western world as her looks would have made the average weightlifting Russian female look gorgeous.  Just a little hint to Bob not to be build up his hopes and ambitions too far although I do hope he isn't disappointed.

Generally I have found the Mac to be ok but Mrs Stationmaster experienced some difficulties with her MacBook yesterday.  I suggested pressing the reset symbol only to be told that it wouldn't work - so I duly clicked on it and thereby  restored the thing to full working order.

I'm told we're off to Tesco shortly as we need 'a few things' and there are some prescriptions to collect so our journey probably counts as 'necessary'.  we already have the cod and oven chips plus a tin of mushy peas for this evenings and I have mushrooms in stock for lunch plus there is plenty of cream on hand (I only need two dessert spoonsful) and the supply of whole grain mustard is a long way from exhausted so all ingredients are in stock.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

there was a lady on the switchboard at Reading whose voice was enough to turn a young man's heart to very serious wishes and intentions.  However when you dropped in of an evening with the wires (telegrams for non-railway folk) the visual reality offered a level of disappointment without parallel in the western world as her looks would have made the average weightlifting Russian female look gorgeous.

Was it ever thus! Even today, there are ladies (and no doubt gentlemen too I assume) whom one could describe as "having a voice for radio". It is rare to find the combination of a stunning looker with the perfect voice. I can recall a certain French chantresse who went by the name of François Hardy in the 60s and 70s - a rather delightful little package that poor me could only drool over!

Finch & chimps  & mushy bees - a lovely meal that we do not have as SWMBO doesn't approve of the green bit. Although the nearby town has a goodish friery, it isn't in my top 5 of the UK's best F&C outlets. 

Still no rain / electrical storm here although it is darkening somewhat so I will be pressure washing the patio set and slabs for the next hour or until rain stops play....

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

As far as I understand these modern dating technologies, photographs can be supplied and some people even use ones of themselves.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2019 at 07:24, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Let us not forget the Dyne, a favourite of mine!

The poetic muse has been struck:

Of the metrologist's muse I sing / (yes, there is such a thing!)

Fair Metrologia/ how much is owed to her?

Time could not be reckoned / without the second

nor could length much feature / without the metre.

These units we define / by the splitting hyperfine

of caesium-133 / - that's good enough for me -

and, to Maxwell's great delight, / the invariant speed of light.

I'm working on further stanzas, addressing the 20 May 2019 redefinition of the kilogram &c. You are warned.

On 19/07/2019 at 10:54, newbryford said:

Concerning the Railway Modeller and measurements.

I haven't bought RM for a good number of years, but it always p*ssed me off that it wasn't printed in a standard A4 size, like the other mags of the time. Therefore, it wouldn't stack easily in my magazine store of choice - an A4 printer paper box.

Is it A4 now?

Have you considered purchasing a box of Letter printer paper? 

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

I remember Passing Clouds, oval cigs made by Wills and like the similar but round Three Castles, made of a nicer quality Virginia tobacco than their more popular brands.  I wasn't a fan of run of the mill Virginia cigs and usually rolled my own, so would buy these for a treat occasionally; another similar brand was Sweet Afton, from Ireland.  Alternatives were French brands, which I smoked on and off until the mid '90s, and imported American brands, which were OK until the manufacturers realised there was sufficient demand for them in Europe.  So they made them in Europe, but reblended to "suit the European palate", which ruined them for some, although Marlboro in particular sold in vast amounts on the back of heavy advertising.

The sun has re-appeared and the day is warming up. I have moved some boxes in the work/bed/storeroom in order to access some drawers.  In order to keep the access I need to relocate some of the boxes....  The resultant brain ache forced me to stop for lunch. I fear they may wait until bedtime and then go back where they were.  At least I got what I was after and found some other stuff in the process.

Have a good day,

Pete

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

As far as I understand these modern dating technologies, photographs can be supplied and some people even use ones of themselves.

My brother used online dating services after his first and second divorce. His current wife was one of the few who were absolutely honest it would seem. 

The English language department (not the students)  at the last college I taught used to reply to the classified ads dating section in the broadsheet newspapers. They would then snigger amongst themselves at the replies. I wondered sometimes if another group of lecturers were sniggering at their efforts.

Tony

• Like 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Mike I've seen Dream Lady today she is very attractive, I've had an invite to Saltdean lunch in the Tavern by the lido there and then it's back to her place this one is also very attractive.:spiteful:

I married a stunner 43 year ago now it looks like the Michelin man .:jester:

Kingszance you were just unlucky mate. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Have you considered purchasing a box of Letter printer paper? 

For the number of RMs I have, I'd have more letter size paper than I would ever use...………….

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The poetic muse has been struck:

Of the metrologist's muse I sing / (yes, there is such a thing!)

Fair Metrologia/ how much is owed to her?

Time could not be reckoned / without the second

nor could length much feature / without the metre.

These units we define / by the splitting hyperfine

of caesium-133 / - that's good enough for me -

and, to Maxwell's great delight, / the invariant speed of light.

I'm working on further stanzas, addressing the 20 May 2019 redefinition of the kilogram &c. You are warned.

I wonder if I can get my boss,

To write some words and toss, 

Some poetry in for the day,

That is the world metrology day,

the head metrologist  for our company ..

That is in the Usa, does demonstrate for the many, 

My boss that is in the UK,  demonstrates for the few, 

To those that sit,  taking a pew, 

The science of measurement 

Is demonstrated with intent. 

Afternoon awl,  

After 4.5 hours of bramble clearance, rain stopped play,

I was getting knackered anyway, 

SWMBO has been sorting her end of the railway shed,

I have the feeling that when back in there I head, 

her end will have grown .... 

And I will. Moan... 

That rain was then followed

By noise from above it hallowed

a dry thunderstorm,  much to Ben's distress,

He ran to his mistress.

Time to..  Have my tea, 

And have my leave of thee... 

• Like 15
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The lights went out... And so did everything else.. 

seconds later,  BOOM,  and heavy heavy rain. 

Ben ran to his Cage  which is shaking Five minutes later.. 

The thunder has moved off into the north sea.. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

9 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I had a dodgy knee. The medics wanted to put an endoscope in to find the problem. I also had a shoulder problem for which I was recommended to a chiropractor. He took two X-Rays; one front to back, t'other left to right. The F-B indicated why I had a shoulder problem as the spine took a sudden change of direction about two thirds up. Looking at the L-R, he asked me if I had knee problems. My lower spine is not shaped as the classic 'S' but is flat at its lower end thus giving me knee trouble. I declined the endoscope investigation.

In short, modern medicine can be too focused rather than holistic.

Thanks for that but in my case it seems to be a local problem. What started as a bit of discomfort ended with a lot of pain followed by considerable amounts of fluid in the knee's bursae. I'll see what the expert advises but I have a nasty suspicion I'll need a joint replacement if I want to stay as active as I have been in the past.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

So the lad got to Gatwick in plenty of time for his flight but the aeroplane didn't (or rather if it was already at Gatwick it would seem the fitters were having a go at it).  Once it took off (90 minutes+ late) it quickly created the impression that  BA need to recruit some new fitters because it was making some strange noises which, it turned, out reflected the flight crew's unsuccessful efforts to raise the undercarriage.  So with a reputed hydraulic leak it then spent something over a couple of hours circling over south east England to use up fuel before landing at ...  you've guessed right  ... Gatwick.

BA are reportedly currently positioning a replacement aircraft to Gatwick and have found a replacement flight crew (the cabin crew are alright for hours apparently) with take off re-estimated for 18.30.  Meanwhile himself was off to 'spoons to spend his 10 quid voucher from BA (hopefully on food!!).  Apart from having a somewhat shaken son I am left wondering if a Licensed Engineer or two might in future not be trusted to sign off his own workmanship.

Now I did wonder about the leaking hydraulic fluid bit until a mate of the lad, who lives about 5 miles from Gatwick, has recently posted on Farcebook that it  might explain why part of his garden has had hydraulic fluid dumped on it this afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So the lad got to Gatwick in plenty of time for his flight but the aeroplane didn't (or rather if it was already at Gatwick it would seem the fitters were having a go at it).  Once it took off (90 minutes+ late) it quickly created the impression that  BA need to recruit some new fitters because it was making some strange noises which, it turned, out reflected the flight crew's unsuccessful efforts to raise the undercarriage.  So with a reputed hydraulic leak it then spent something over a couple of hours circling over south east England to use up fuel before landing at ...  you've guessed right  ... Gatwick.

BA are reportedly currently positioning a replacement aircraft to Gatwick and have found a replacement flight crew (the cabin crew are alright for hours apparently) with take off re-estimated for 18.30.  Meanwhile himself was off to 'spoons to spend his 10 quid voucher from BA (hopefully on food!!).  Apart from having a somewhat shaken son I am left wondering if a Licensed Engineer or two might in future not be trusted to sign off his own workmanship.

Now I did wonder about the leaking hydraulic fluid bit until a mate of the lad, who lives about 5 miles from Gatwick, has recently posted on Farcebook that it  might explain why part of his garden has had hydraulic fluid dumped on it this afternoon.

I think I'd take a boat or a train myself

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I think I'd take a boat or a train myself

He is already booked to return by that method - as he usually tends to do except on work trips.  Only difference this time round is that instead of his usual destinations in the Balkans he is heading south of the Mediterranean in order to cover some different TGV routes on his return working.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1