Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Today it is cooler - fortunately.  The promised rain appears to have been deferred until this evening/overnight but as about 15 spots of the stuff landed as herself was putting out teh washing the washing was promptly taken in and diverted to the airer in the bathroom.  On the useful front faux Friday was not only deferred until today but the mission was undertaken by the Good Doctor (whose car needed fuel) transporting the management and also visiting the petrol station in Tilehurst which even at a Corsa tank full would heve more than subsidised the coast of driving to the trainspotting branch of Waitrose.

On the diabolical front we have our appointments with s Sister Diabolical next week but we have pre-advice of the numbers compared with last year's - except one of mine is I'm sure different from what I was told last year and thus needs some explanation, particularly my HbA1c number which is showing as having risen from 45 to 52 where I suspect they have useda number from an intermediate test instead of a year ago when I'm sure it was way over 50.  But I know roughly how to control that one.  the numbers also continue to prove how years of prescription drig consumption have knackered n my kidney function - beware of some of the stuff they give you!!  I've then got a form that looks like a performance review form from work so she'd better be careful how she plays that one as I never did like performance reviews - from either viewpoint.  But all a lot less than Sandy is being subjected to so no real moans are warranted.

Time for sudoku approaches I think.  Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.  And a nice little video for those of you who aren't afraid to risk the wrath of the awl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=54&v=CuC_LPDG6uw

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Good news about Sandy John. Tony, I've never heard of a pub called 'The Olde Dog' and I live only a stones throw from the hospital, though its probable that I knew it by another name. Not that I'm a great pub goer, my nearest pub, the Owl and the Pussy-cat I haven't ever been inside for at least 25 years.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Good news about Sandy John. Tony, I've never heard of a pub called 'The Olde Dog' and I live only a stones throw from the hospital, though its probable that I knew it by another name. Not that I'm a great pub goer, my nearest pub, the Owl and the Pussy-cat I haven't ever been inside for at least 25 years.

Do you know the Plume of Feathers?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It is about 15 minutes drive away near  Herongate. Cross the A127 at Dunton, keep going, turn left at junction. Aditi didn't want a town centre pub. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

10 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Thunder and lightning today stopped play. A Catalina flying boat ambled by plus Typhoons, Tucanos and what looked like a Dragon Rapide.

TTFN

Baz

Were they heading north? . . .Sunderland airshow starts tonight for the weekend.

John

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Good to get John's update, still attempting to will support to you both!

Spent the first half of today back at the old ranch strimming, washing paintwork, mowing and sweeping - anybody would think we have more viewings tomorrow! Although the temperature only indicated low 20's, it was definitely betty swallocks weather. Nice to see that the M1 speed limit has been raised between J13 and NP Services on both carriageways to 60mph, a shame that several drivers still insisted on staying in lanes 2 or 3 and driving at less than 50 in clear dry daylight conditions.

Returning to New KZ, the temperature was indicating mid / upper 20's. SWMBO welcomed my return by saying that she was COLD! I had hoped to watch the majority of the Eng v Ire cricket but I was still doing G related stuff when that concluded. The monthly Farmers' Market was visited and three rather nice pieces of beef for personal consumption were acquired, thankfully SWMBO is not a beef fan. I also picked up a good piece of pork that will be prepared for the return of daughter and entourage after their Turkish Delight.

It remains rather warm and sticky here. My current garb should not be imagined as it is little more than a loincloth and no, SWMBO didn't bother to get a fan whilst I was busy today. Several large glasses of water have been consumed and perhaps I may open one of those bottles containing coloured, fermented, malted barley sugars as a treat for my good behaviour. Tomorrow will bring what it brings but between then and now, I hope for more sleep than was achieved overnight last night.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No sign of the predicted rain yet! 

2 hours ago, lightengine said:

Do you know the Plume of Feathers?

No.

58 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It is about 15 minutes drive away near  Herongate. Cross the A127 at Dunton, keep going, turn left at junction. Aditi didn't want a town centre pub. 

I think I know the pub, but last time I was down that way I think it had a different name. There was also a garden centre that sold a few very ornate Victorian chimney pots as planters. That was at least 30 years ago.

• Like 11

Evening awl,

So home from three days at Lord's.  Wednesday and Thursday were pretty intense with a lot of casualties, literally green up from one call and off to the next. I barely saw any cricket, just occasional glimpses of a screen, with a  mental note of "what is the score?".   I don't know how many of you know Lord's, but there is an amazing camaraderie within the ground, especially between first aiders and stewards.  Today I saw most of the game, with the Irish Demolition Derby, and then had to wait for two hours until the bars closed.  I'm unsure it helped the selectors much, with presumably Anderson and Archer opening, plus Stokes and a spinner, leaving Broad, Curren, Stone and Woakes to compete for one place.  Jimmy was practicing each day, and there didn't seem anything wrong with his action.

Very sad about John and Sandy's news.

Bill

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

According to the papers this morning, the BBC has finally come to the conclusion that on some of their drama content there is an audio problem.  A while back there was another post on this situation where it appeared that actors were mumbling and the reproduction was indistinct.  It implies that there will be a sliding switch adjustment (somewhere?) which will enable the listener to adjust for optimum sound reproduction.  How this will come to pass is uncertain but as one who has problem with BBC sound, it will be welcome as there isn't the same effect on local programming or movies.

Brian.

• Like 10
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, brianusa said:

According to the papers this morning, the BBC has finally come to the conclusion that on some of their drama content there is an audio problem.  A while back there was another post on this situation where it appeared that actors were mumbling and the reproduction was indistinct.  It implies that there will be a sliding switch adjustment (somewhere?) which will enable the listener to adjust for optimum sound reproduction.  How this will come to pass is uncertain but as one who has problem with BBC sound, it will be welcome as there isn't the same effect on local programming or movies.

Brian.

This will please Her Ladyship as it will make even more programs that I have no interest in become essential viewing :negative:

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Phew! One water problem resolved. The guy that connected his irrigation system to the community well is going to have it supplied from the lake instead. Major fight avoided!

The other water problem concerning my knee might take a little longer. Maybe I'll get a tap on the head?

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

6 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Re: CP trains - this line, as many in the area is owned/operated by CP, no idea why as I'm not a US-railfan and remain clueless about US operations.

All I DO know is, since the other house was only three doors down from the line and we've lived here for 29 years now, ALL the trains seem to be CP without fail.

That looks as if it's an interesting line, Ian, with some history behind it.

It appears to be the line of the former Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Railway (MNS), one of whose predecessors was the Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Electric Traction Company, known as the "Dan Patch" Lines (you can look it up). The MNS was a line round the western side of Minneapolis, connecting larger companies entering Minneapolis and allowing trains to avoid yards in the centre of the city.

The MNS was taken over by the Soo Line in the 1980s. Soo Line was the 'umbrella' company for all of Canadian Pacific's (CPR) US subsidiaries, taking its name from the common name for one of them - the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Ste. Marie Railroad. ("F-UnitMad" on here can tell you a lot more about the Soo.)

After 2000, the Soo Line was incorporated fully into the CPR, with Soo Line branding being replaced by CPR's. Hence the diesels at the bottom of your garden being red with 'CANADIAN PACIFIC' on the side.

Edited by pH
  • Informative/Useful 16

31 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

This will please Her Ladyship as it will make even more programs that I have no interest in become essential viewing :negative:

You are not alone.  A friendly couple we know have no interest in, newspapers, radio or TV, let alone the BBC.:huh:

Brian. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

I wonder if the programmes have been mixed for some sort of surround sound and the stereo mix is poor. If I can’t clearly identify dialogue I have had some success by turning the cinema sound system on and applying a small amount of boost to the centre speaker where most dialogue seems to then appear from. 

Tony

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I wonder if the programmes have been mixed for some sort of surround sound and the stereo mix is poor.

I use a flat screen TV with the embedded speakers. I haven't added sound bars or surround sound. This is adequate for most programmes I watch - like the news or sports.

Content with big production values (like HBO's Game of Thrones with loud battle scenes and quiet dialog) have a huge dynamic range requirements and the embedded speakers in a flat panel TV are simply not up to the job.  I haven't made the investment, but using, as you suggest, a cinema sound system is the approach I would try.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Were they heading north? . . .Sunderland airshow starts tonight for the weekend.

John

Yes....very slowly in the piston engine aircraft.

Baz

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Keep on fighting Sandy.

Club singles knockout has been played.

A quarter-final match against our club's most consistent/best golfer.

He beat me in the final last year on the last hole of 18 as I messed up slightly.

A mirror image in this match though........ played under the oppressive heat of yesterday evening.

No more than one hole between us all the way round - mostly me being 1 down or level and I only went in front on the 15th to see it go all square to a birdie on the 17th.

Opponent then strikes one well on the last (225 yard par 3) and I hit one into a reasonable place short of the green. I have an extra shot on the last due to the handicap system. I play my 2nd onto the green and looking good for a 4, nett 3.

I watch my opponent marching beyond the green and looking at a difficult 3 or more likely 4 - which will give me the hole (and match) win. Then I spy what may be a ball on the road beyond the green and out of bounds. Luckily for me - it's his ball and he concedes the hole and match.

Onward to the semi in the next month.........

Day 8 of a long work shift Saturday, then 5 days off, most of which is planned to be relaying the front driveway. Cement, sand and chippings have been ordered for delivery Monday. A compactor and cement mixer are on standby.

Time for zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Have a good weekend folks.

Cheers,

Mickj

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3