The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I've now finished making sawdust  as after  nearly three months of layout non modelling work that's now done till the next board. So it'll be full time slartybartfast time again next week. 

Dry when  I left the house but a Mile down the road everything was very wet. 

One of our members was effectively leaving today which is a shame as he's an enthusiastic member and does a lot for club.  He's off to live in France as of course is his wife who was also a member of the MRC.. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I've now finished making sawdust  as after  nearly three months of layout non modelling work that's now done till the next board. So it'll be full time slartybartfast time again next week. 

Dry when  I left the house but a Mile down the road everything was very wet. 

One of our members was effectively leaving today which is a shame as he's an enthusiastic member and does a lot for club.  He's off to live in France as of course is his wife who was also a member of the MRC.. 

If he's heading down to the Charente Maritime area tell him to get in touch.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well not much has happened here at BSW towers today. This morning’s Trafford Centre trip went as well as these things can do. The afternoon was spent doing some research and a bit of reading before our guests arrived for tea. I’ll be up reasonably early tomorrow morning to set off for the Wakefield show so I probably won’t log on until I get back which will be later, most likely in the evening. 

Goodnight all. 

• Like 17

27 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The Timothy Hortons (all four of them) were pointed out by our guide.

Hilarious.

A trip advisor webpage listed the Quebec, Labrador and North Shore Railway as number 2 of the 15 best things to do in Sept-Îles. I presume they didn't drag the cruise passengers there?

27 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi confused the saleswoman by speaking French. I think the poor woman had been expecting everyone to only speak English. 

Off to Quebec City.

It might be interesting to play the Anglophone / Francophone game there to see if there is any difference in how the Anglophone tourists are treated versus the Francophones.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare, 

Still dark,  had about 6 hours sleep. 

Plans for today, 

Bonfire our big one,  clean up garden a bit. 

Clean up me, head to Norfolk and Norwich hospital to visit sailing compatriot.. 

Snooze button time... 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, pH said:

Today's harvest:

IMG_0061.JPG.d850ccc32786b33db40c6e2d9122f8dd.JPG

Not the biggest crop we've ever had (maybe 40 pounds), but some of the individual bunches are much bigger than normal. They're also some of the sweetest grapes we've grown. 

Some will be eaten, some given away, and the rest juiced to provide Vitamin C over the winter. No, there will be no wine-making. We tried that one year, and the result was just a waste of good grapes.

Yes, very difficult doing small-batch winemaking from grapes rather than concentrate.

About the smallest quantity that I have had any success with was 50L, so about 80kg of grapes. And it is much harder work than doing 2000kg at a time.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

I'll try again as I thought I'd posted 10 minutes ago but it seems to have vanished.

Overcast here but it's dry and should stay that way with some sunny periods but there is the chance of a shower or two later. I hope they are much later as we're expecting the landscapers here to finish off so I expect my tasks today to be mainly observing  their efforts and making tea.

Rugby duly watched last night and England made a very slow start but the result was as expected. I didn't get very excited about the match though. Here's wishing them the best of luck in Japan, I think they'll need it.

Apparently I didn't wake The Boss with singing in my sleep last night....my snoring was sufficient!   :rolleyes::whistle:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a slightly overcast Charente.  The garden awaits.  My task, should I accept it, is to clear the ivy from the wall that we share with the Marie. Madame Le Mayor, aka Helene, has asked that we stop it invading the Marie garden.  

Various things got done yesterday, I even listened to a bit of cricket. Nuff sed.

Regards to all  and hope that those heading for Wakefield enjoy themselves.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good morning from a slightly overcast Charente.  The garden awaits.  My task, should I accept it, is to clear the ivy from the wall that we share with the Marie. Madame Le Mayor, aka Helene, has asked that we stop it invading the Marie garden.  

Various things got done yesterday, I even listened to a bit of cricket. Nuff sed.

Regards to all  and hope that those heading for Wakefield enjoy themselves.

Jamie

One understands that one should never fail to agree with Monsieur ou Madame Le Mayor, particularly in respect of Le Marie. They wield far more clout than a typical English Parish or District Council Chairman/woman and one wouldn’t want to receive one or more clouts from them. Hat, coat, door.......

• Like 13
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Grey here, just like the weather. "We" shall be browsing retail outlets this morning before grandchild-minding this afternoon. Still, I suppose that will keep my mind off yet another desultory performance by the England Cricket Team and a less than exemplary 40 minutes for England Rugby. Even one of Private Baldrick's "cunning plans" would be better than what is being shown by the best cricketers this country has to offer. I suppose the examples emanating from around SW1A 2AA don't help. Anyway, I'm off to crawl back under a stone whilst various and conflicting protests continue the length and breadth of the country. Have as best a day as you can...

• Like 14

Good moaning. A bit tender this AM after far too many fermented grain products last night. I really must sort out the bierkeller and beer fridge properly. SWMBO just grabbed a bottle at random late last evening as our finishing drink. I was expecting something lite to finish on. Nope, 16.8% quad imperial stout. I think she was trying to hint that it was time to go to sleep. She is still in bed. 

Good to see that Neil has discovered the joys of Sweary Bercow from Twitter. Language that would make a football terrace blush. Such wonderful commentary like ORDERRRRRRR! STATEMENT: THE SH!T SCARECROW. I wonder who that referred to. 

Tony, I suspect the "French" on Sept Iles is as understandable to a Parisian as cockney rhyming slang is to a Yorkshireman and visa versa. 

Enjoy the day. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

A bright and dry day here so after the market I may get round to spraying the weeds on the drive - something I've meant to do for ages but it's been too wet or too windy. I don't really like using chemical warfare but there are simply too many of them in the little nooks and crannies between the  paviours for me to contemplate doing it by hand - after half an hour I wouldn't be able to straighten up again for the rest of the day and would probably have managed a few square feet. At least I can use the stuff that it is claimed is rendered harmless once it's dried.

Like GDB and others I'm not too sanguine about England's rugby chances in Japan. Let's hope I'm wrong. As an alternative, I could raid Hippo's washing line and pinch one of his red shirts but I suppose he'll be taking them all to Japan - lucky so and so. Hope you have a good time Richard.

Have a good day everyone.

Dave

• Like 18

The house is disappearing into a series of corridors, as I bring baseboards in from the garage and stock boxes downstairs.  Presently being stared at by a Klappdeckelwagen, reminding me that it has to be repaired before the weekend.

Bill

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Last night my computer went belly up. Luckily I have this spare computer so I can keep in touch. Problem is that I have only a few of the more important things set up on this computer such as e-mail and of course RMweb.  I will have to take the other computer in next week to see if anything can be done and any data retrieved.

Edited by PhilJ W
spill chucker
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15