The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

It is a fairly mild and dry morning today.  Looks like it may well be a reasonable day.

17 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Is collision damage insurance advisable when hiring? 

Very definitely!  Whenever I have hired a narrowboat, it has always been one of the things that is considered necessary.  It doesn't cost much either.

Unfortunately, there seems to be an increase in these sort of events and I can see the "authorities" insisting on some form of training in the years to come.  I presume it is the same on the broads, but it is possible to hire a narrowboat and take it out with little or no training.  That isn't a problem for most people - but there seems to be an increasing number who apparently have no common sense at all.

Checking to make sure that you have enough draft, can get under all the bridges and in all of the locks on the waterway you wish to navigate is one of the first rules of boating.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 5
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Then you were a bit late. I was taught the SI system in the sixties in Scotland.

Excellent news so you were saying UK didnt take on SI units but you did in Scotland?  As Q says my Science lessons were all in SI units. I started these in 1968. 

Did you  "learn" Imperial" measures in America?

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Low lying cloud here this morning. Planes are still taking off from LBA though.

Chris and Bill..enjoy Berlin. It is on my v"to visit" list.

Eye Doctor appointment first thing followed by optician appointment later..the thrilling life I lead!

While typing this, the low lying cloud is lifting to be followed by chuckinitdarn rain. I may get wet walking to the doctors. Pah!

Enjoy your day whatever you do!

John I hope the meds chase for Sandy goes well.

Rrick looks like you had a good weekend.  Hope SWMBO had an equally as good one.

TTFN

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring again,

Down at the moorings weekly hire boat users are supposed to get a 20 minute -half hour instruction on the boat and the broads rules. Sadly a great many don't pay attention. On the dashboard of every hire boat (unless the previous hirer has nicked it) is a screwed on plate with the boats  air draft on it. These often actually add 6 inches to  the height of the boat:D.  When they book, hirers are also often directed to boat hire videos available on the net.

As you approach each bridge there is a height board on the right hand side showing todays clearance. For your delectation the picture  is the lowest normallly navigable bridge that at Potter Heigham.

Some boat yard owners like Len Funnell who owns the boat seen yesterday, have deliberately chosen to build their boats much taller than Wroxham and Potter bridges, as these two medieval bridges are the most likely to cause damage. However that limits you, so you don't see the most pretty parts of the broads above those bridges. Also it means if you wish to see the southern broads then getting your timing right for low tide at the  Great Yarmouth bridge would be essential, and the current there is up to 4 or 5 knots..

If you any of you choose to visit the broads I'd advise hiring a "bathtub" boat that can get under all the bridges, most of the time.. (picture 2). That boat is owned by the Richardson family, who are the biggest hirer on the broads and did take some bookings via.. Thomas Cook...

Time I went to the lab... it's raining outside

ricb-bh1358_ex116[1].jpg

1007606[1].jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A wet (but not raining) start to the day. Breakfast has now been consumed and I'll shortly be heading down to the cellar to start fixing the architrave and skirting boards. I'm hoping it isn't going to be difficult, but so often is the case that what is thought of as an easy task, turns out to be anything but. 

Back later 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I did claim not to have been affected by the change in time zones crossing from New York to Southampton last week but at 10am this morning Aditi woke me and said that my tea was cold and I hadn’t taken my morning medication. 

It is pouring with rain so I don’t think we will be going for a walk today. We do have clothing appropriate for walking in most weather but the gardens at Hyde Hall (our planned place to visit) will still be there when the rain ceases.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday John. Breaking news in the last hour or so, the Supreme Court have ruled the proroging of Parliament illegal. Thats all I'm going to say here on the matter though it is more legal/constitutional than political. Tea to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Following a conference of editors of journals relating to science and technology, The Royal Society publishes agreed recommendations. These are that SI should be used in journals in preference to Imperial, CGS or metric technical units, and that the changeover should be made as quickly as possible.
The BSI publishes policy document 6424, “The adoption of the metric system in engineering: Basic programme and guide.”

From https://ukma.org.uk/what-is-metric/uk-progress/uk-metric-timeline/

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Drove back from walking the dog in a mega down pour I pulled of into a side road after several idiots driving too fast crashed into parked cars you could not see the end of the bonnet it was that bad.

The dog made my laugh it started to rain and he pulled me back to his house he really had the hump with me getting him wet he soon changed his tune when the treats box was rattled.

I've got to go back and feed him so I better get on.

Enjoy the rain :superman:I.T. Spissindoun. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Happy birthday John and happy birthday Ian.   

Today it has been chucking it darn with rain, seemed to start - very loudly - pre 06.00 and has occasionally eased since then except when I went out to get the bins round to the front and it decided to hammer down yet again.   Although I am on Jury service this week, which meant well and truly ER yesterday morning I was getting on for 5 hours later - after form filling, instructional video watching, and completing the sudoku (three) and the two crosswords in 'Metro - sent home along with several others and told to keep an eye open for a text message calling us in whenever they want us to go in.   So now it would seem we are sort of call-off spares or the equivalent thereof.  

Rain has currently stopped but more on the way for this evening and overnight.  Shame it's probably getting a bit late in the year to plant rice.

Enjoy the rest of your day if can and try to keep warm & dry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1