The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, from a rather damp but sunny France Profonde.

A question. Our house is heated by a big woodburner and some bottled gas heaters, apart from the bathroom which has an electric heater. We usually only plug this in for a few minutes before having a shower. Today, when unplugging after said ablutions, I noticed the plug was warm. I touched the metal terminals and got a burn, they were so hot.

Obviously that heater is now scrap - but is it likely to have been just the heater, or could it be a wiring fault? The wiring is relatively new, put in by a builder when we had the bathroom converted a few years back.

Off today to see some friends and have lunch in the lovely little oyster-producing town of Cancale in Brittany. Black and white photos to come!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

It's more likely to be a faulty plug or socket, the connections having worked loose.

Dampness in the bathroom could easily corroded the connections in Plug or Socket.

The most likely thing is you have a high resistance probably in the plug and it's turning the plug into a heater..

Take the plug apart and have a look... if it's moulded on , it's worth chopping it off and trying a new plug.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Busy? Dealing with officialdom?

I'll be sitting round in waiting rooms for ages, knowing my luck.

Is the “Tell Us Once” service available in your area? I couldn’t use it as Matthew died in Ireland. 
Tony

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

On an Azuma.

Even in first class the seats are carp, the bogies are riding like they have square wheels..

But, miracle of miracles we are on time. And breakfast has been ordered!

John,  good luck with officialdom.  Their job is to create more stress for others

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullchkcr
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Plug and socket in a bathroom??!!! That’s a no no.

Dick is in France. Sockets in bathrooms are quite usual there and it would seem in many other countries too. 

• Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

The Duke got his cowboys and Indians confused.. However having experienced Indian electricians (not in the UK)

I think he was right...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning by about 45 minutes so in bit of a rush. John, I cant add any advice to what has been given here but on occaisions in my work I've had to deal with bereavement from the other side and its not easy but one has to give as much sympathy and understanding as one can in what is sometimes tragic circumstances. Chris, I hope you find your new slow cooker usefull but the usual food safety rules have to be applied rigorously such as do not reheat things like chicken. I once had a slow cooker and reheated chicken in it, I won't go into the grim details but thats how I know.

16 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Different regulations in different countries. (Smiffy lives in France.)

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

They may be permitted but they are not a good thing.

People who visit from just about everywhere else seem surprised at the UK practice of no sockets in bathrooms. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I hope John doesn’t have any problems with “officialdom”. In Ireland it was easy, we appointed a funeral director and he did everything that was necessary. I did have to contact various UK institutions but every one was helpful and kind. In fact the only difficult person was the (UK) bank  person who blocked my payment to the funeral director as it “didn’t match my spending profile.”  
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Northroader said:

But they go back home safe and sound instead of being found dead floating in a bath.

If it is OK by the wiring regs from the IET it is ok by me.

Smiffy perhaps a heater could be hard wired in? 

Baz 

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Barry O said:

If it is OK by the wiring regs from the IET it is ok by me.

Smiffy perhaps a heater could be hard wired in? 

Baz 

Yep - through a discrete supply protected by its own 30mA RCB if my memory serves me. You wouldn't used a switched or unswitched fused outlet as the potential fault current is too high. Also, the heater must be at least 2.4 metres from a sink / shower / bath I think (outside Zone 1?) but as other say, you are in France where some would say "You eengleesh, you have crazy abbits".

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

For the UK. Not so in many other places. Australia being one. SWMBO being Australian was flummoxed upon first visiting these shores and wondered where the toothbrush and hairdryer plugged in. 

I now use a battery-powered shaver but for many years ran a mains one plugged into the nearest available socket via an extension cord. 

I have managed to survive - touch wood - for 62½ years to date. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Morning all. I hope John got some sleep. Thoughts with you, sir

And we all hope that you and Mrs Rick are doing the same! Of course, you could vent your fury by shoving the odd XR loony off a train roof too - and that may even extend to those who bought the cheapest version of Apple's previous new release phone :D

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

We both got up late and so I didn’t have time to post before setting off for the weekly Asda/Trafford Centre shopping trip. However, I did manage to get my wetsuit out on the washing line before setting off. Nothing of note is happening here for the rest of the day, but we do have Charlie dropping by later for tea. 

Time to sit down with muggertea No2 and read the latest BRM.

Thoughts with John, I must agree with all those who’ve mentioned about getting the blog printed as a book. 

Back later. 

• Like 15

Greetings all from LBG where the sun is still trying to break through the clouds.

So sorry to read your news, John. ERs is here for you. I wonder if MacMillans or the like are the sort of people who could discuss publishing at some later date?

My great grandfather was a Methodist preacher (not sure which flavour as there was talk of Wesleyans and Primitives) in South Wales. My Grandma ran the temperance society as a teenager. But by the time I was an adult she like a nice glass of wine and was always trying to put Baileys in people's coffee.

• Like 13

Afternoon all. 

Following our summer trip to Rannoch, where the children were introduced to the delights of a "toastie", an application was made to purchase a toated sandwich maker. This is due for its christening over the weekend. Whilst the children will be content with ham and cheese, SWMBO has requested cheese and Branston pickle. 

Hot Branston pickle? Seriously?

Is this a culinary thing or a culinary nightmare?! I suspect the latter. 

• Like 12
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2