The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

In the city centre there are lots of buses and trams. Buy a Leap card from newsagents or supermarket if you plan to use them. 

Aha!  That is new since my last visit.  So, for that matter, is the LUAS tram network.  I'm guessing that the Saturday will be a bit difficult for buses and trams because the city centre will be full of marchers - me and 60,000 others!  Thank you, Tony.

Chris

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all.

Before I go, Elin Fflur video with English Subtitles.  Hope this helps you appreciate the song.

That was back in 2011.  The previous link I posted was in 2018 - she just gets better and better.

_________

Polly

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Well, I survived today's cruel and unnatural punishment  Christmas shopping expedition, albeit there were a few moments that came close to my losing the will to live. I don't know whether other ERs experience the phenomenon where SWMBO enters a shop ostensibly looking for item X but after twenty minutes has only got as far as examining most of the rest of the stock without actually getting to X but it seems to be an essential part of 'our' shopping. Should I mention this I am accused of being in too much of a hurry or being grumpy (to which I am forced to plead guilty m'Lud). Anyway, we had a very pleasant lunch and have satisfied SWMBO's urge to match the estimate for HS2 on presents for the grandkids so it can't all have been bad and I must have gained a few brownie points as I was allowed into the workshop on our return.

Dave

It's a disease Dave, my wife suffers the same symptoms and it's hereditary as the daughter has it too, funny neither me nor the son suffers from it...………………………..

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

@chrisf

Another option would be to drive to Holyhead, and leave the car there and be a foot passenger on the ferry.

Of course, leaving your car in Holyhead could be expensive, unless you know someone who has relatives in the town with car parking space on their drive... ;)

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

ok explain this one..

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/greater-anglia-service-cancelled-from-ipswich-to-lowestoft-1-6386874

A train cancelled because there were too many passengers???

I suppose it depends on what type of flow it was from the large passenger.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

ok explain this one..

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/greater-anglia-service-cancelled-from-ipswich-to-lowestoft-1-6386874

And would I be surprised if, when asked, no passengers were prepared to get off to allow the train to proceed? Of course the failure of Greater Anglia to allocate sufficient rolling stock is an (Ongoing?) issue that should be investigated an penalised if appropriate.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All 

After two weeks of agro' the boiler at the new flat has been serviced this afternoon.:yahoo:

I walked the mad dog this morning he's now wears a muzzle which he spent all his time today trying to get it off there is now a slot in the footpath where he gets walked he's trying to scrap

it off his head at least I don't have to wrestle with him to get the thing on he knows the walk won't happen without it in place, he's is increased in weight he's like a tow truck my daughter won't

won't have a choke collar on him so you just get pulled around I think training has gone out the window with him.

I seem rather peckish an early dinner is in order me thinks :superman:A. Mutt-Walker :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by 81C
typo
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A lot of froth being created (again) on the Hatton's generic coaches thread. A lot of it because some do not seem to understand the word 'generic'. I'll go back there once all the froth has blown away. Time to prepare dinner, be back later.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

ok explain this one..

1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

And would I be surprised if, when asked, no passengers were prepared to get off to allow the train to proceed? Of course the failure of Greater Anglia to allocate sufficient rolling stock is an (Ongoing?) issue that should be investigated an penalised if appropriate.

That was my take on the matter. Some commuters can be a selfish and inconsiderate at times. IIRC The line in question is single track with passing places and may not have the capacity for longer or extra trains.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AndyB said:

Evening all from North Greenwich. 

I'm sat here facing 3 hours of teeny bopper music courtesy of the Little Mix band. Likely get home around 01.45. Then up for work as usual a handful of hours later. 

My question is how many brownie points is this worth? 

To quote a James Bond title: The World Is Not Enough

Hope your hearing isn't destroyed Andy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

HH the dog has had full chest harnesses he grows out of them monthly and I agree with you about the lack of continuous training he has got to the point with me where I'm not interested any more,

the SiL know it all I find his lack of skill with large dogs leave a lot to be desired the annoy thing about it all those things you have listed he was doing at 4 months and he had stopped jumping up which

he did today I'm agog he's going backwards.

As you can see the cardboard shredded in the back ground, he ripped apart a rope toy this morning it's a shame he is a clever and intelligent animal he can open those child guards I find him stretched

out on the sofa when I get there, both his parents are twice his size I do wonder what they will do with him in a few months time, slapped #rse won't go near him now so it's left to me.

382224589_IMG-20191004-WA0004(1).jpeg.1ad8c5c234c0d2de8d7c73c50082c1a3.jpeg  

Edited by 81C
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Christmas shopping here is generally very civilised.  The most important part, putting in the order at the butcher in Pangbourne, is a joint expedition as you never know what other bright ideas might surface as we look along the counter and we can get a bit of current shopping in as well.  The boring part, which herself does, is mainly carried out online ........

I remember having to go out early on Christmas Eve to stand in long queues at the butcher’s and baker’s (but not necessarily the candlestick makers).  All to be guaranteed your fresh buns, bread, sausage rolls and Christmas meat. If you were lucky you got back in time to see Mr Magoo followed by Torchy the Battery Boy.

It is much more convenient today but somehow it just isn’t the same.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 14
  • Agree 5

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

Phil, do you seriously think I need to kiss the Blarney Stone?!  Seriously though, thank you for the suggestion.  To do what I'm primarily going there for I need to be based in Dublin city centre.  I'm working on five or six days there, tops, and I have to keep an eye on the costs.

Chris

Chris,

You could do worse than visit the Irish WhiskEy museum and the Guinness facility!

• Like 12

59 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Some servo testers have arrived,  the servos are here,  the packets of appropriate connectors are here.  But no triple wire ( not due till next week) .  Over the weekend I need to bodge up a 5v PSU. If I've worked it out correctly. 

1 servo 99p

1 servo tester,  99p

A few bits of wire and connectors.. 

A bit of plasticard shaped like a tall piece of metal a Bobby would swing on. Glued to a knob .

and you have.

Something that will move parallel bits of metal from one position to another.

As slow as you would like, you could even bounce metal or wooden flags.

If that works I need to work out a frame to hold sets of servo testers in an upright manner to emulate a row of metal upright bars in a upstairs room with lots of windows A telephone or two and some bells .

If you want to be even more economical you could drive as many servos as you want from three 555 timers. One of them is set up as an astable that triggers the other two which are set up as monostables. The astable's frequency determines the travel speed (50 Hz max or as slow as you like) and the monostables produce a long pulse and a short pulse that determines the travel limits. You connect each servo to the monostable outputs via a single pole changeover switch.

The snag with this method is that you can't adjust the servo throw angles individually. Also, if you make the astable frequency very low (e.g. 10 Hz) the servos will travel in discernible steps rather than a smooth sweep. But it is very inexpensive ;)

(There are many other ways to make a pulse generator like this. I use a ATtiny44a )

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5