The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I hope you're not mocking my pride & joy KZ!   :nono: :no:

Sir, you impugn my good nature!

I also have a soft spot for that other nice old duffer Mr James May (who used to promote Dacia on the old BEEB versions of Top Gear and built a recent scaled-down version of the Atlantic Coast Express). As an aside, I believe the adverts are voiced by a certain Mr Ralph Inneson. Had the KZ household not spent gazillions on two complete sets of dining tables and chairs, we COULD have replaced SWMBO's ageing B-class Merc and, in true "fit for purpose" mode, I would have certainly tested the Duster!

Breath easily and without raised blood pressure!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Up until 01:30 this morning but finally caught up with Farcebook. My Eco-drive watch is finally giving up, either the photo-electric cell or the battery is going. Its more than 20 years old so I've decided on a replacement, Argos at Rayleigh Weir have a good selection and are open until 8 so I'll probably pop down this evening. Also need to get the car checked, suspect clutch cable as the clutch pedal sometimes sticks down then suddenly springs back making the car jerk. Sad about the Koala but with the extent of his injuries I'm not surprised.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Instead of venturing out later I decided to go down to Argos for my new watch. It is now sitting under a lamp getting charged which according to the handbook should take 40 minutes, so I'll give it an hour at least. Now its Muggatee time, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Driving home I had much experience of brake lights ( a current discussion on the driving standard thread).

The VW sirocco in front of me for most of the way, was almost always using the brakes.  Every car coming the other way,  every slight bend in the road,  every road junction,  and occasionally just when they felt like it.. Eventually when traffic cleared I over took easily in the landrover. 

After much consideration, the toolbox I'm going to buy is..

A sheet of plywood,  and additional timber.. Yes It will be made to measure. I will, in the next few days, empty the toolbox in a muddle and layout all the items contained in, it needs a sort out anyway.  Once I've worked out positioning, it will be drawn up. 

The rough plan is something like:

A 4 inch deep bottom drawer for a set of jars and bottles, glue, water, etc. 

A two inch thick drawer for thicker tools. 

Above that several 1 inch drawers for  hand tools.. 

All will have dividers / foam inserts to hold tools in individual positions.

I'm now off to wander round the net looking for a set of appropriate square jars/ tubs. 

• Like 19

57 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Instead of venturing out later I decided to go down to Argos for my new watch. It is now sitting under a lamp getting charged which according to the handbook should take 40 minutes, so I'll give it an hour at least. Now its Muggatee time, be back later.

Careful or you'll overwind it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

9 hours ago, roundhouse said:

My other half has finally decided to buy a bigger Tv for the living room so the 26" one in the shed will soon be 42" - Kansas City railcam on the big screen / hifi:D

An upgrade for the layout track plan display?

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Bill,

PM with relevant information sent to avoid nasty awl injuries!

Dave

That sounds awlful.

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Never managed to see that but famously Portsmouth LVLO refused to issue STR1P suggesting it was offensive.  Two bikes which parked outside home when I was a lot younger were IAM1 and RU12.  Plates possibly worth more than the machines as is sometimes the case with select marks on larger vehicles as well.  

Other LVLOs could have had problems too!

Berwickshire (1903-74); Selkirk (1974-80); Edinburgh (for Selkirk) (from 1980) (SH) - O() 1T

Devon (1931-74); Exeter (from 1974) (OD) - S() 1T [hint - insert contents of preceding (..) for ()]

I would love to have had ?DL 10W as DL was the code for the Isle of Wight where I lived for many years!

• Like 13
  • Funny 4

28 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

(and I'll pass no comment about the A34 Jamie other than to say most of the alternative routes for your journey would be even worse). 

Ah yes. The A34! I used to leave Abingdon heading back to Paisley on a Friday afternoon. That was forty years ago. I doubt if it's improved much.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5