The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

43 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

My car insurance expires tomorrow. Received a renewal notice on November 19th quoting a renewal premium of £327.31 (a reduction from last years £372.31) and a confirmation that as I pay by direct debit if they don't hear from me they will automatically renew the policy on the renewal date. Good, I thought, no need to contact them.

Yesterday received another reminder again stating that as I pay by direct debit there is no need to contact them as the policy would automatically renew.

Foe some reason I thought I had better contact them to ensure that all is ok. I'm glad I did. Phoned them and after a few minutes being told that my call is important to them I Finally got through to human being. The fun and games then started.....

First of all was told that the renewal premium in amount of £327.31 was incorrect and it should in fact be £427.31. It was blamed on a typist error. £427.31 was the premium to be paid.

Next I was told that they do not have my card details therefore, despite them stating this in their two letters. Asked why they did this said that they are aware of the incorrect wording of the letter but they have not worked out the way of amending the wording on the letter template.

Seeing that I was getting nowhere I ask to be transferred to a superior or his manager. No can do he says, they are busy dealing with previous days problems. All he can do is send them an email to ask them to contact me within 48 hours. No call received today, see what the next 24 hours brings.

What is scary about this episode is that if I had not contacted them yesterday I could have been driving the car tomorrow illegally and without insurance. 

And, you may ask,  who is the company behind all of this Micky Mouse activity ? It's Mercedes-Benz Insurance authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Took out the insurance two years ago when they offered Gap Insurance for the new car for the first year and things went smoothly until now. When I first purchased the policy Mercedes Benz Insurance used to operate out off Mercedes Benz UK in Milton Keynes but it now operates out of Princes Risborough as a stand alone operation. Have got a funny feeling that the insurance side of the business has been out-sourced to the new outfit.....

Keith

Had a chat with the Financial Ombudsman this morning who seemed, in a non-committal way, surprised at what I told them.

Tell them you are going to another company, I bet someone gets straight back to you(I think I would anyway, can you imagine what trying to claim from them might be like)

• Like 6
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Just for your delectation the original one and only Gayla Peevey.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Getting warmer in Estuary-Land, and windier. In fact its warmer now than it has been over the last couple of days during the day. Had a look at the rubbish reduced box at Tess Coes today and found a ream of HP computer printer paper reduced to £1 from £4 due to a grubby mark on the wrapper. Also two dozen coloured marker pens for 62p marked down from £2:50, No apparent fault with them or the packaging.

4 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

My car insurance expires tomorrow. Received a renewal notice on November 19th quoting a renewal premium of £327.31 (a reduction from last years £372.31) and a confirmation that as I pay by direct debit if they don't hear from me they will automatically renew the policy on the renewal date. Good, I thought, no need to contact them.

Yesterday received another reminder again stating that as I pay by direct debit there is no need to contact them as the policy would automatically renew.

Foe some reason I thought I had better contact them to ensure that all is ok. I'm glad I did. Phoned them and after a few minutes being told that my call is important to them I Finally got through to human being. The fun and games then started.....

First of all was told that the renewal premium in amount of £327.31 was incorrect and it should in fact be £427.31. It was blamed on a typist error. £427.31 was the premium to be paid.

Next I was told that they do not have my card details therefore, despite them stating this in their two letters. Asked why they did this said that they are aware of the incorrect wording of the letter but they have not worked out the way of amending the wording on the letter template.

Seeing that I was getting nowhere I ask to be transferred to a superior or his manager. No can do he says, they are busy dealing with previous days problems. All he can do is send them an email to ask them to contact me within 48 hours. No call received today, see what the next 24 hours brings.

What is scary about this episode is that if I had not contacted them yesterday I could have been driving the car tomorrow illegally and without insurance. 

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Tell them you are going to another company, I bet someone gets straight back to you(I think I would anyway, can you imagine what trying to claim from them might be like)

I'd tell them that I'm going to another company and that I have a quote from them lower than the original quote that they gave you.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Ozxp while I've never been to the USA I have seen 'Men In Black 2' several times so can quite understand why staff in the USPS behave rather oddly.

They've come a long way since the time when the term "going postal"* gained notoriety.

* After episodes of mental breakdowns and armed violence in sorting offices.

I am often impressed by their speed and efficiency and disappointed by their inaccuracy. A birthday card I sent recently was delivered in Australia in about two weeks, but another took six months, having in the meantime taken a holiday in, of all places, Mexico.

A recent mail carrier frequently misdelivered mail to me intended for my neighbours and at one point delivered a tranche of Amazon Prime boxes intended for someone with my street number but lived on an approximately parallel street 800m to the north. Having said all that, for the most part they deliver mail anywhere in the lower 48 states in three days or so, which might seem like a long time compared to mail delivery in the UK, but given the distances and destinations is pretty efficient.

• Like 19

6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

The UK doesn't know how good we have it with regards to a postal system. Canada Post seems to randomly process letters through the digestive tract of a not so nearby moose. It isn't unheard of for a letter to take 6 working days in the same town. If you live in a newer neighbourhood, forget door delivery. You have to schlep to a near by "super box" and pray that it hasn't been vandalised, or the idiot has actually put your mail into your slot. Parcel? Tough sh*t. Off to the depot near the airport that operates on banker's hours. 

I think you're being a bit hard on Canada Post. 

I agree with you about the 'super mailboxes'. (One of my claims to infamy is that I worked for the guy who introduced them, after he'd moved on to pastures new.)

However, to collect a parcel, we only have to go to our local '7 eleven'. While the post office counter isn't open for the 24 hours per day that the main store is, it's certainly open more than 'bankers hours'. And we have had mail sent from Canada to the UK (and reverse) in 4 days. In fact, when I worked across the road from the main PO in Vancouver, I could post in a box that dropped the mail on to the sorting floor. If I put something in the box in time for it to catch a 'red eye' to the UK that day, it might be delivered in 3 days.

• Like 18