The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Talk of Forces Radio reminds me of my time in Singapore between 1975 and 1976 at which time there were still some British Forces based in Singapore who had their own local radio station which broadcast daytime programmes.

Made use of the broadcasts to wake me up in the morning but one morning there was nothing but silence until some minutes later there was a rather exhausted announcer puffing and panting, "sorry folks, overslept this morning"

Keith

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

2 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Talk of Forces Radio reminds me of my time in Singapore between 1975 and 1976 at which time there were still some British Forces based in Singapore who had their own local radio station which broadcast daytime programmes.

Made use of the broadcasts to wake me up in the morning but one morning there was nothing but silence until some minutes later there was a rather exhausted announcer puffing and panting, "sorry folks, overslept this morning"

Keith

It happened to the best.  Robert Dougall served for a while as an announcer on the Empire Service.  His autobiography relates that he overslept one night and flew through the corridors of Broadcasting House to tell the Empire how sorry he was.

Chris

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

I REALLY REALLY WANT A CONVERTIBLE MUSTANG, there's something incredibly alluring listing to the growl from that 5.0 Liter V8 when you punch the throttle

Google maps suggests you could drive from New York City to your home in about 19 hours...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

Luxemburg totally agree - you needed to be right up close to it to hear.  The Archers took over from Dick Barton, I listened to the very last episode, Mrs Dales Diary was an early afternoon programme ..."I'm worried about Jim" ...

Pirate Radio - never specifically listened but at lunch times the cafe I went to had it blaring away.

Television - was 14 before we had one but was lucky enough to see the 1966 World Cup final in colour because girl friends mother kept house to a rather rich accountant ... we had our own colour television in 1970.

Question - where is the person who started this thread?  - always comes up on 'content that I follow' although most of my followed content never seems to surface.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Guaranteed to produce some excuse-me's ;)  Though I note the glass is branded for Doom Bar and the contents might, by the colour and head, indeed be the same.  Still an honorary Cornish ale even if 90% of it is brewed in Burton-on-Trent these days.  Only cask supplies to Cornish pubs still comes from Rock AFAIK and it does taste slightly different.  

Slightly different? I beg to differ. The Molson Coors Burton version of Doom Bar is fairly awful. I won't have anything to do with it. Even drank fizzy lager at one pub where the only "real" ale was Doom Bar.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

Come to think of it dad's radiogram didn't have any means to send the audio to the tape-recorder and the sound quality would have been very poor if I'd used a microphone so I tapped into the pre-amp valve in the radiogram and brought the signal out to a jack socket (my dad was pretty tolerant). Because the radio signal was FM the recording was just about as good as a 45 record ;).

I also had to learn a fair amount about electronics keeping the Grundig going. It tended to go through  valves and certain caps would blow from time to time. The drive belts used to fail regularly too.

• Like 17