The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

45 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Other than the occasional visit to the doc for some minor ailment I have none of these, and I've never been advised to avoid other people for any reason. But I'm old enough to know I'm less likely to fight-off something that's fairly virulent.

The thing that got my attention was when that young and otherwise healthy doctor in China succumbed. But feel free to ignore any warning signs. If your doc is telling you everything is okydoky it probably is. DJT would like us to believe everything is just okydoky too.

Meanwhile I'm from Missouri.

Baz, what's funny about that doctor in China dying?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Other than the occasional visit to the doc for some minor ailment I have none of these, and I've never been advised to avoid other people for any reason. But I'm old enough to know I'm less likely to fight-off something that's fairly virulent.

The thing that got my attention was when that young and otherwise healthy doctor in China succumbed. But feel free to ignore any warning signs. If your doc is telling you everything is okydoky it probably is. DJT would like us to believe everything is just okydoky too.

Meanwhile I'm from Missouri.

I didnt say I am avoiding the warnings.. (which has been issued by the NHS via the BBC) . What i do say is that if you are already on the "be warned"  list you will have already had the advice drummed into you as part of your NHS support.

I didnt say it was all okydoky..they said it was like a bad flu outbrake...and the advice I have on that was..get the injection (done every year..for free) stay away from infected people.

Of course there is no NHS or BBC in the USA ..so you wouldnt be aware of the advice we receive.

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Baz, what's funny about that doctor in China dying?

Nothing but you seem to have gone into full time spread panic mode. Lots of people die every minute of every day. It is very sad..but sometimes it needs to be seen in context rather as a source for creating panic.

He had warned the authorities of what could happen, but he hasn't survived ir ..which is very sad but you seem to have had the panic button pressed  bu that. Great, but try to stay calm and follow precautions.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning, particularly to Mr Hunt’s good lady who has a birthday today I believe?

Miniaturwunderland in Hamburg could keep a Stationmaster’s offspring busy for a long time, their harbour and airport are usually in full swing but I don’t know if arrivals / departures / sailings will be causing any restriction in services, as it is very realistic, - and their cafe is pretty fine too!

There has been some Corvid activity around here, they are busy building nests in trees. Son-in-Law has had a work trip to France cancelled but his business is otherwise very busy, son has had one conference at the NEC and one short musical tour in south and east England cancelled and that has a greater influence on him as he is self-employed and had turned down other work to do these two events. The KZ freezer has meat for at least three weeks, we have some dried pasta, flour, yeast, rice and pulses so we are more likely to die from overeating. Several frozen curries are stacked away too. There are triple-ply TRs a-plenty, sufficient to keep up with normal flows until mid-April (TMI?) and hand and liquid soap abounds. Scottish falling down water and Kiwi SB stocks are sufficient to see us through to a similar or later date. It looks like we might expire from too many annus’s on the clock :D.

A gentle day will be had, perhaps including a rugby match between two teams whose hatred of yesterday’s winning team seems to know no bounds (if the disrespect for goal kickers dressed in white shirts is anything to go by). A decision will need to be made in respect of what is required from the freezer for later...

Nice to see that, despite the trials of Manchester, our missionary to Leeds is back amongst us, even if buried under masses of paperwork. I guess he will find his driving license at some stage today :D. An update on The Keeper of The Great Awl would be good too! I hope those pursuing small things amongst the Spire of Lemmings will have an enjoyable day and that those unable to venture forth for whatever reason find strength and happiness in whatever they manage. PS: CowboysRUs are working on a Sunday now - yesterday they dismantled scaffolding, today they appear to be fitting roof tiles from ladders where the scaffolding was previously located! Sense and Elfingsavetee seem to be commodities in short supply! 
Be good, that lot certainly aren’t being careful......

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Not inspiring with all the indiscipline.

It might have helped if the referee had stamped on the indiscipline sooner.

Having already been warned by the ref over his early altercation with George North, Captain Farrell should have got both barrels ( a la Whisky in the Jar) after his high tackle minutes later for which he was penalised.

Ten minutes in the sin bin would have been a salutary lesson (to both teams), and at that early stage would not have had any bearing on the final result

Yes, Wales did not  deserve to win, as yet again, they spent the first half of the match kicking away their possession directly to opposition players who have a reputation for quick and decisive running.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It might have helped if the referee had stamped on the indiscipline sooner.

Having already been warned by the ref over his early altercation with George North, Captain Farrell should have got both barrels ( a la Whisky in the Jar) after his high tackle minutes later for which he was penalised.

Yes, Wales did not  deserve to win, as yet again, they spent the first half of the match kicking away their possession directly to opposition players who have a reputation for quick and decisive running.

New Daddy Farrall has history in that respect and certainly other teams exploit that personal vulnerability. There were many decisions made by Ben O’Keefe in order to keep the game live but the consequence in my view was that far too much niggling provocation was allowed - acts perpetrated by both sides! As for tactics employed you are spot on and, when Wales chose something slightly different, the game opened up for them.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning, after heavy rain overnight its sunny here with a slight breeze. I have a couple of intricate tasks to do in the shed on a certain model however decided to pass today as I'm not in the mood. I will run a couple of locos instead and leave that for another day.

As for the rugby I did think the ref should have clamped down earlier than he did but I agree with grandad bob I though the sending off was a bit harsh.

Enjoy your day

Alan

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. One shelf that had been emptied at Tess Coes yesterday by panic buyers was paracetamol! That will be a lot of use against a virus I don't think. I hear that Tess Coes are rationing certain items in some stores, after what I saw yesterday afternoon I'm not that surprised.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We are having a sunny spell at present. 
 I think we are going to visit MiL in Enfield today. We have a lot of food left over from lunch yesterday but MiL didn’t want us to take it over and insists on doing lunch for us. Fish and chips I am led to believe. 
Nephew submitted his doctoral thesis yesterday, he dedicated it to Matthew which was a nice thought. He is busy applying for jobs now, I think he would like to work where he had a couple of intern posts in Zurich. 
Have a good day. 
Tony

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Morning all.

One for Dave here....a specially adapted T7 used for physiological research and to desensitise "Sickies".

20200308_101558.jpg.31aeb0e882be161c65017a59653deaac.jpg

I suspect a lot on here like me will develop being a sickie and now need desensitising.

Form an orderly queue behind me, I'm with Biggles!

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suspect a lot on here like me will develop being a sickie and now need desensitising.

Form an orderly queue behind me, I'm with Biggles!

The "queue" started here long before they got near regular desensitisation flights in the work'so Hunter. 

The sickie is sat on a slowly spinning turntable and is then told to move their head forwards, backwards, to the left, to the right....and repeat. For about 45 mins each session. The curtain is down so there's no visual cues. And that makes it a bit stuffy in there too. The sickie is asked to give a rating of how they feel and over a few weeks they'd tolerate longer and longer sessions. 

The general rule was "You boff, you clear it up".

Was also used to test the effectiveness of antiemetics.

20200308_113245-1.jpg.98d095c98a1645d6f05582913001e8e8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the skies are blue. So there is a slight change of priorities, I'm heading out to the garden and I'm going to tackle some dead heading and generally do a bit of tidying up. 

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morn' awl.  It started bright but is now dull and wet. 

Most of the new kitchen is installed apart from the new washing machine, which arrived at 6pm Friday, and the sink, which was damaged on delivery and the replacement hasn't arrived.  So I can cook but not wash up, except in a bowl or the bathroom basin.  The floor, as mentioned previously, is another matter. 

Yesterday I went to the Romsey Show.  The highlight was Redbridge; I also liked Modbury Torr in 3mm.  I bought several books but one turned out to be a duplicate.  I will sell it on, but probably at a loss.  I returned via Eastleigh, where I panic bought bogroll (one pack, because we were running out, hence the panic) and had a meal in 'spoons.  The evening TV was dire and the PC was misbehaving so I read one of my new books and ran a McAfee full scan, which has hopefully sorted it, it's not doing what it was doing anyway. 

Today is refilling the kitchen cupboards etc, I may try out the new hob or oven.

Have a good day,

Pete

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

On 06/03/2020 at 17:42, Tony_S said:

A long long time ago my brother’s first wife was telling Aditi all about a group called Ultravox that she liked. Aditi asked were they the ones that did “shaddupa yer face”. I was quite unwell during the new romantic music era so would haven’t heard much and would have not been much help. 

That song famously kept ‘Vienna’ by Ultravox off the number one spot for four weeks in a row.

i was quite into all that stuff back then. Now I prefer the pre-midge Ure ultravox; a much edgier and less synth based sound.

useless music fact; Midge Ure was asked to be a founding member of the Sex Pistols but turned it down. He was subsequently in a band called the Rich Kids with Glen Matlock from the Pistols

• Informative/Useful 18