The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I see that Microsoft Word will now flag two spaces following a sentence as a grammatical error.

Helpful, or draconian? Discuss.

(Honestly I don't expect you to discuss it.) ;) 

Red rag...

That's because Word is doing the job of a printer's compositor rather than a office typist. The compositor would insert a wider space after a full stop than after any other item of punctuation. The typist would insert a double space in crude imitation.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather is dull again here, no rain as yet but we are due some around dinner time or early afternoon. 

The plans for today are to continue painting the old towel rail and whilst the paint is drying to do some gardening, if it isn’t raining, or to continue working on the turntable if it is raining.

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later 

• Like 18

Two spaces after a full stop became outdated fifty years ago with the IBM proportionally spaced golfball typewriter, as did the insistence on serif typefaces.

That said I go back even further and use Helvetica for my layouts. Fortunately it's native on a Mac.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Two spaces after a full stop became outdated fifty years ago with the IBM proportionally spaced golfball typewriter, as did the insistence on serif typefaces.

Outdated fifty years ago perhaps but still de rigour in technical authorship typing and proof reading well into the 1970s she says.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I have to look at the date on my Mac screen to tell me

Keeping track is easy. Today is April 94th.

• Funny 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Grey and overcast outside, no rain currently though it has done overnight.

Todays job is pack an item up ready for dispatch which I am selling on flea bay, bids have been made and the auction finishes later today. Very happy with what its going for so looks like a good job all round fingers crossed.

Otherwise not a lot to report at the moment.

Take care all

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Red rag...

That's because Word is doing the job of a printer's compositor rather than a office typist. The compositor would insert a wider space after a full stop than after any other item of punctuation. The typist would insert a double space in crude imitation.

Then, has Word done the same, with a wider space between sentences than words?

Hat...coat...

I use Mac Pages...

:D

:bye:

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

And a lot less Drunks / Fights for the Emergency Services to deal with every night etc.

Partially cancelled out by the reported 40%+ increase in domestic abuse. Much of which requires the emergency services and A&E. The drunks are at home taking it out on their partners instead of starting fights outside the local 'spoons. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1