The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Discovered that my problems with the lights were that both bulbs had burned out at the same time. There were the spiral fluorescents.

The space heater is kaput. I took the back off and found that I didn't get at any useful parts. The back was held with uncounted screws, mostly Phillips but 3 hex. The holes didn't line up when I put it back on.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl  inner Temple Hare, 

So far 4.5 hours sleep,  I need more,  yesterday I had three unscheduled eyelid inspections to make up. 

A friend at the MRC has also just moved,  for her it was only a 10 miles move.  Due to non related to covid 19 reasons, she had been effectively living out of suitcases in her own home for two years, so that was easy.  A bigger problem for her is extracting the rest of her property from various friends and relatives sheds and barns in the area.. 

Plans for today,  clearing the wreckage from the bramble clearance,  it's noticeable that area of the garden looks much bigger.  Start emptying the failing corrugated iron lean to. 

Time to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzź

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

I think everyone should work in a bar or a shop or a hotel at some point ... it makes you a better customer.

Or better still unblocking drains or emptying old fasioned steel house hold bins...

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Beautiful morning in the North West Leeds Highlands.  Yesterdayturned into being a very busyday. Crust earning was completed, gardening was undertaken, food was eaten.

Today...well herself has set house cleaning and gardening targets. Pah!

I am tempted to go and do something else but, thinking about the consequences of this, I will just follow her plan.

Grab today and make it do what you want it to. 

Positive thoughts to ERs.

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Il Ditores comments on Newark airport, first time there we liked it very much and it was handy for Amtrak but a few years after 9/11 it became a mess with queues landside to drop bags at security in a big pile in open public areas then leave them there to be scanned to head off to the security gate queues. not been back since.

Smallest that we have used is Skagway. No queues at all at the single check in gate. Most people arrived and departed either on cruise ships or the Alaska Marine Highway ferries which we had used to get there.

Yesterday I picked up more Pilgrim Saracen stout from the brewery nearby (during an essential shopping trip) and that went down well whilst running trains in the garden. Today, I will probably run the last train for a while and if my chest pain eases (think its ribs/ chest muscles rather than anything more serious) then lift the track to carry on with the patio extension.

However I have been looking at Jamies photos thread. Keep them coming Jamie as very interesting.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here though I have no idea of the outside temperature.  Various items are due today. Office type supplies and hot glue sticks. 
Aditi’s family meeting via Zoom has been set up. According to her uncle it will be 4pm GMT on Friday however the Zoom “ticket” states 4pm BST.

Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Chris, I'm afraid Ronaldsway is no longer rustic, a new terminal was opened in IIRC 1982 so it is much a clone of any other small regional airport now.  Not sure how many flights we will have when things re-open, with the end of Flymaybe, Loganair have had a sniff at a couple of routes.

Dull out this morning but dry, I have to hang around to allow the boiler service engineer in, as our central heating (combi) boiler has been teetering on failure for weeks.  From cold the pilot lights, and then it just sits there having a think about life, the universe etc, and then finally opens the valve for  the main burners after about two minutes. Once warm it fires in the usual time. Thermocouple or timer issue, but its getting worse so they have agreed to come and deal with it.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hmm now I'm  Confused, I've just received notice of a 4th parcel of shed, by the suppliers.  It should arrive this evening. There was only 3  parcels on the original list, and looking at the manual I thought i had all the parts..  It's on a different parcel number so it's not a confusion of delivery.. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another sunny day here in England’s northwest west, cool 12C at the moment but very little wind. I’ll shortly head off to complete the Trafford Centre Grand Prix, calling at the butchers on my way home for the weekly meat rations. With the queueing that is required for both tasks, it will be nearly dinner time when I get back. 

I noticed that next door have now put up a basket ball net net for their young son, bless him. He’s not the sharpest tool in the box and I do think he has an underlying (undiagnosed) problem, but his ball co-ordination is non existent so I’m expecting a lot more balls to end up in our garden than we do at the moment. The balls currently seem to spend more in our garden than his!

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Next to my seat number, name and frequent flyer status were three little letters: V.I.P. How the hell I got that classification, I’ll never know (I have never thought of myself as a VIP, nor was I that senior in the company...)

I saw my name on the list once, it was annotated with JAFH.  (just a F**king Hippo)

• Funny 17

18 hours ago, Simon G said:

Also last year, I had a lot of ants running up and down our two small apple trees.  This year I have decided to try and stop them.  I read online that duct tape was a good deterrent if place around the trunk, sticky side facing out.  I applied some yesterday, and the ants clearly didn’t like it.  Today I noticed that some had got over their dislike and were managing to cross the tape without getting stuck (serves me right for buying cheap duct tape!).  The tape has now been reinforced with a band of double sided tape, that is much stickier than the duct tape.  So far, the ants have failed to cross it, so I will see how long that lasts!

15 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Your post reminded me of the short story by Carl Stephenson Leiningen Versus the Ants.

I hd to google Leiningen Versus the Ants.  I just hope that my ants don’t turn as nasty as in the short story!  So far, the double sided tape is proving an effective barrier to them.

It is rather overcast here today, so the early gardening was rather cool.  Today’s task so far is to weed around the strawberry bed.  I always wonder why grass managed to grow so well in the wrong places, but doesn’t do so well I. The lawn!

Fruther work has been done on the layout control panel.  The wiring is looking rather busier than I had thought, so some rethinking is necessary to reduce the number of wires going to and from the panel.  My first idea is to glue some chocolate block to the underside of the paxolin board, and run the common wires there.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

The man with a van is on delivery 23. He's about five miles away,  ETA 5 hours 45 minutes,  we're delivery 123... !! And there are lots of men with vans out there shows where all the shops went.. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The foxes were again at my bin bag this morning so I had to clean up the mess and re-bag it first thing. Apparently though the kebab shop also re-opened yesterday and the foxes should find better pickings there. I've tried to contact my friend a couple of times but his phone isn't answered but hopefully next week when some restrictions are lifted I might be able to call round. I know he must be at home but his autistic daughter has a habit of turning the ring tone volume right down when she's on her x-box. The G word looms so its be back later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18