The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I really like Scotland and the Scots (as long as they are not related to, or followers of, Wee Jimmy Crankie :lol:). I have an addiction to distilled liquids produced in The Highlands and around the River Spey. However I feel no need to invest in a formal Scottish suit with either kilt or troos. I shall save the money to blow on things related to unmentionable pursuits. Happiness is mid ochre yellow / Brunswick Green. Malachite and Apple greens together with Prussian Blue and crimson Lake are acceptable alternatives.

Edited by Kingzance
To give a bit more colour.
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

...and JP played one side of their previous LP called Meddle. The track is entitled Echoes, not to be confused with the later compilation although the track can also be found on the compilation....

Echoes is probably one the best PF tracks that they have recorded. And whilst the studio version is great, the version from Live At Pompeii is, in my view, THE definitive version (sadly, the version on DG's Live in Gdańsk isn't half as good).

If I were asked to suggest a selection of PF tracks to a newbie I would recommend:

• Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (LP: A Saucerful of Secrets)
  • Bike (LP: Relics. A silly but fun track)
  • Careful with That Axe, Eugene (LP: Ummagumma - rather a challenging piece, so listen to it after the rest)
  • Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I–V) (LP: Wish You Were Here- probably DG's finest outing)
  • One of These Days and Echoes (LP: Meddle. The studio version of One of These Days has never been bettered)
  • Brain Damage and Eclipse (LP: DSOTM less "radio friendly" than "Money" but worth the listen)
  • High Hopes (LP: The Division Bell. Probably one of the best songs penned by DG [with help from Polly Samson]. Ostensibly about Gilmour's childhood, it's really about getting old. The studio version is good, but there are live versions that surpass the studio version).

Eagle eyed observers will note that neither Animals, The Final Cut or The Wall feature in my recommendations; Animals - I think - is like The Final Cut, for dyed-in-the-wool PF fans; whilst The Wall is rather overexposed (as excellent as Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell and In The Flesh etc. may be)

Your thoughts, fellow PF aficionados?

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Ooops. Something went wrong - now corrected
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Snip... As for those big US diseasals I can tell a Jeep from an SD and if it isn't a PA or a PB I'm not over interested in the 'covered wagon' generation but I do like Class 59s which are in many respects a sort of descendant with their car body appearance although they're a shrunken SD underneath.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

Nothing wrong with US diseasals provided they don't come here! They would get stuck in our tunnels and alongside our platforms. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Going for a walk is a lot easier now, I don't have to make way for people, they make way for me!

You will find a lot of people treat you like you have the plague, shield their children from you, cross the road or simply jump into bushes to avoid you.

Most people are indeed keeping well away from everyone but we have a few 'runners' who totally ignore  the idea of social distancing and I was called racist because I moved out of the way of a large group of African looking people! I just said sorry and kept moving. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Just spent a couple of hours in the garden. It looks a lot better after a haircut and so will I when I can get one. Have to nip down to the newsagents as no papers were delivered this morning. Be back later.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Echoes is probably one the best PF tracks that they have recorded. And whilst the studio version is great, the version from Live At Pompeii is, in my view, THE definitive version (sadly, the version on DG's Live in Gdańsk isn't half as good).

If I were asked to suggest a selection of PF tracks to a newbie I would recommend:

• Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (LP: A Saucerful of Secrets)
  • Bike (LP: Relics - rather a challenging piece, so listen to it after the rest)
  • Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I–V) (LP: Wish You Were Here- probably DG's finest outing)
  • One of These Days and Echoes (LP: Meddle. The studio version of One of These Days has never been bettered)
  • Brain Damage and Eclipse (LP: DSOTM less "radio friendly" than "Money" but worth the listen)
  • High Hopes (LP: The Division Bell. Probably one of the best songs penned by DG [with help from Polly Samson]. Ostensibly about Gilmour's childhood, it's really about getting old. The studio version is good, but there are live versions that surpass the studio version).

Eagle eyed observers will note that neither Animals, The Final Cut or The Wall feature in my recommendations; Animals - I think - is like The Final Cut, for dyed-in-the-wool PF fans; whilst The Wall is rather overexposed (as excellent as Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell and In The Flesh etc. may be)

Your thoughts, fellow PF aficionados?

iD

Hard to argue with that selection iD but could I suggest something from A Momentary Lapse of Reason: On The Turning Away. This is what I describe as "an accessible track" for PF Newbies.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Some may regard the following PF comment as strange, perhaps even heresy. Casting back through the mists of time to the very early 70s, that champion of struggling bands and musos John Peel had a radio show (Radio 1?) which didn’t commence until 11pm I believe. At that time Pink Floyd were certainly less well known - this predating DSOTM - and JP played one side of their previous LP called Meddle. The track is entitled Echoes, not to be confused with the later compilation although the track can also be found on the compilation. Meddle best represented the metamorphosis from strange short songs to the more deeply psychedelic influences being laid down on vinyl by them more than Obscured by Clouds, it’s forerunner, did. Look up this track, then prepare yourself as iL Dottori suggests (of course a spliff may also help if that is your poison) and settle down to be totally entranced. This track caused me to purchase THREE copies of the vinyl due to my worshipping at its altar when I was a single man and consequently wearing out the groove. Two young ladies with whom I had what can be described as “fulfilling relationships” at that time similarly found that track very stirring - oh what happy memories, readily prompted by enjoying once more that fine track.

I love the track Echoes from the Meddle album and have always found it to be a very relaxing way of spending 20 minutes.  I learned while at University that to lie down and play it through headphones was a great way of dealing with stress.  As I was new to stereo sound at the time, I found some of the effects quite surreal through the headphones.  I will now have to play it, as this has reminded me how long since I heard it!

We seem to have had a reasonable amount of rain overnight, so the ground is now nicely damp.  No doubt the weeds will benefit more than my vegetables!  Today is dull, overcast and breezy.  I have been out for a while taking my morning walk, which consists of a lot of laps around the house and garden.  Hopefully the rain will desist long enough to do the same both this afternoon and evening.

Today’s home made bread is just out of the machine, and is cooling to be ready for lunchtime.  The only other excitement planned for  today is to amend the Asda food delivery scheduled for Wednesday to reflect what we actually want, as opposed to what we thought we might want about 3 weeks ago!

Edited by Simon G
Correction
  • Like 19

50 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Hard to argue with that selection iD but could I suggest something from A Momentary Lapse of Reason: On The Turning Away. This is what I describe as "an accessible track" for PF Newbies.

Hmm, not sure that I'd go with that. Momentary Lapse of Reason isn't a very good PF album (maybe just below Animals and The Final Cut in quality), I find On The Turning Away a bit of a dirge, I think that Sorrow is the better track. Soaring, some tasty guitar, decent lyrics and - in best PF style - slightly operatic/grandiose/expansive (take your pick). The live version on Pulse isn't bad either.

As you will have already guessed,I am a big PF fan and am working on a number of PF songs (got Wish You Were Here, Brain Damage and Eclipse under my belt - aklthough the latter two need a bit of work) am working on High Hopes (I even bought two guitars so I could play this song: a thinline nylon electroacoustic and a lap steel) and am just about to start on Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts I - V), for which I have about 2/3 of the gear (Fender David Gilmour Black Strat, Keeley Electronics Dark Side [for most of DG's Effects] and a Line 6 M13 Pedalboard [for the rest]). All I am missing is the HIWATT Amp with the WEM Speaker Cab (HIWATT are doing the Mini-Rig D 20/0.2 W - an exact copy of the HIWATT head they built for DG - but a switchable 0.2W to 20 W output - but it's NOT cheap - Mrs iD will need persuading....)

Oh dear, now I've mentioned some of my gear, I feel a bad GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) attack coming on....

iD

p.s. I had to update the original PF post as my fat fingers deleted a song

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, MichaelE said:

These are not ve recent, but her and I look pretty much the same today.

3zU4cWP.jpg

I've just noticed: isn't that a "Superstrat"or a "Frankenstrat" hanging on the wall in the backgroud?

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, chrisf said:

“Kicking Up The Sawdust” by Ashley Hutchings is a collection of infectious dance tunes.  Its title is derived from the Sawmills Studios in Cornwall where it was recorded.  “Feeling The Squeeze” is an album of accordion music by Chris Harvey, the alter ego of Chris Pollington who played keyboards in Strawhead.  The version of Simon Jeffes’s “Music for a found harmonium” is arguably the best available.  It will be interesting to see as time goes on what others have chosen and how many of the choices are familiar.

I agree in the former - LOVE "Kicking Up The Sawdust", and have it on quite often - however, it is a casette copied from a vinyl recording, and the quality is pretty dire.  Always have admired Chris Pollington, but IMHO, the best rendition of "Music For A Found Harmonium" is the version by Patrick Street - check it out.

Afternoon All

Sorry, I have missed about 8 pages, and also not checked in yesterday.  This was down to a broadband outages which was not corrected until this morning, then the fodder run intervened as well.  Belated happy birthday to Rick. 

I too have very eclectic tastes in music, and a very varied album collection, all on CD.  As to a top ten, in no particular order:-

Scheherazade (Rimsky-Korsakov)

The Planets - Holst

Revolver - Beatles

Sgt Peppers - Beatles

Neck and Neck - Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler

Dark Side Of The Moon - Having heard it on my friend's £20,000 hi-fi, off a vinyl copy which is an original but has been kept pristine, there are things going on that I've never heard on any other system or source - it is utterly stunning - my CD copy is just on the plus side of mediocre by comparison.

Firewire - Chris Newman and Maire Ni Chathasaig

Still Getting Away With It - Chris Newman

The Adventures Of The Brothers Gibb - Bee Gees

A Cut Above - Martin Simpson and June Tabor

I'm off for a look round some of the other threads that I follow - they too have been a bit neglected.

Oh and it's raining so Lily and I will be getting a wetting.

Hopefully back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When Q mentioned a Walmart tartan I just had to Google it. It indeed does exist and you can buy products in Walmart stores in their tartan. As it is 'exclusive' I presume that they have established some sort of rights to that particular tartan. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about it is its not even garish as one might expect such a tartan to be. It piqued my interest because my surname is the same as the founders of Walmart so I went looking. It turns out my family name has its own tartan, a variant of the Campbell tartan. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3