The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

When at Leicester University I was lucky enough to attend some concerts with David Munrow. Found this by him of the above

Gently she adresses the flautist with the admonishment:
"Mind where you're poking that damn thing boy!"

• Like 7
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, BoD said:

...Every dark cloud has a silver lining ....... he’s back.

8FBF0D42-C615-466F-B8F4-D775400562CA.jpeg.df6d58a4f7217b9af1ddab3b53413fef.jpeg

Whoah! Ladeeez an Gennelmen, da Dawg Is IN da House!

That, mah man,, is one maity fain looking hound....

Signor BoD, I presume he is a distinguished, stately, albeit older, gentleman with impeccable taste and manners. Di sicuro un Cane di Qualitá!

iD

p.s. Hope all goes well with son & partner.

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, chrisf said:

...snip... Glenn Miller’s “American Patrol” now has its own clog dance thanks to Lizzie Dripping from Sheffield, ...snip...

Chris

My all-time favorite "swing era" song, although it really is not a swing song, it dates from 1885. I first heard/played it on a 1920's QRS(?) piano roll with lyrics.  This roll (still in their inventory!!):

More information courtesy of Wikipedia:

"American Patrol" is a popular march written by Frank White (F.W.) Meacham in 1885. It incorporates both original musical themes by Meacham and melodies from American patriotic songs of the era such as "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean," "Dixie," and "Yankee Doodle." Composed for piano, it was then arranged for wind band and published by Carl Fischer in 1891. Copyright was assigned to Meacham's widow, Cora, in 1912 and renewed in 1919.

Glenn Miller's Orchestra recorded a swing version of the march arranged by Jerry Gray in 1942 which was released as a 78 single on Victor Records."

It has taken me a while to post this as I started wandering through YouTube's various versions of this looking for the words (no luck even with DuckDuckGo!) and a lot of diversions; my morning is shot. I started at 0930 or so and it is now 1150! Anyway Chris, thank you brightening my morning with some favorite music.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Naughty Boy (and you need to see the original post as to why..) :biggrin_mini:

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

...Poorly dogs. Robbie loved the white fish and plain boiled rice so much when ill he was very reluctant to go back to his normal diet. 

Tony

Please don’t give Lucy any ideas, she can be a finicky eater at the best of times (Although, I think she would claim that she has a refined palate). Schotty, on the other hand, it’s basically a furry food specific vacuum cleaner on legs

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

YOO HOO BOB!

Has he fallen over yet?

And you’re a naughty boy as well! :biggrin_mini:

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

..but then SNCB is rather odd in some respects)...

But can’t you say that about Belgium and the Belgians in general? :jester: (Mettre un chapeau en étain et se retirer à distance de sécurité/Zet een blikken hoed op, gaat met pensioen op een veilige afstand.)

4 hours ago, Shedman5 said:

...Executive Financial Director  Shedman Towers whereupon my other half  can simply have Boss lol!..

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it ain’t going to work. Although I have my own company and I am founder, managing director and current CEO  And although I have packed the boardroom with my acolytes: Schotty – head of security, Lucy-boardmember without portfolio (It’s amazing how the promise of of a wienerli or two can swing a boardroom vote my way), but with Mrs iD being the CFO it means that all purchases are heavily scrutinised and are mostly vetoed. 

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

...  Pink Floyd.  Delicate Sound of Thunder.  

Excuse me while I apply the headphones and sink myself, unashamedly, into some mighty fine music.  

Mighty fine music it is indeed. But is The Delicate Sound of Thunder better/worse/as good as Pulse? Discuss.

(For what it’s worth I think the interpretation of Shine On You Crazy Diamond is marginally better on the Delicate Sound of Thunder album).

I too was lucky enough to be a) in London at the time and b) to bag a ticket to the Their Mortal Remains V&A exhibition. Apart from the superb music and music reproduction... the gear man, the gear...

2 hours ago, polybear said:

...I take back all I've said about HR.....

Why? :jester: 

For is it not written “those who can, do; those who can’t, teach and those that can do neither go into HR” :jester::diablo_mini:

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, polybear said:

...snip... Going back many years now (20+?) my friends over the road (now sadly no longer with us :( ) purchased some sort of clever box that hooks up to the telly (recorder, player, decoder type of thingummyjig IIRC) from Curry's.  The salesman convinced them that a "special SCART Lead that was oxygen free (WTF) with gold plated pins was essential with this particular item, and of course not included in the box".  An extra seventy-odd quid later for the lead.....

Personally, I've never had a problem those from Poundland.

You want to read a bunch of horse patootie, go to any audiophool audiophile forum and read about wires. I can personally vouch for an experience that I had at a friend's stereo setup. Someone brought a set of patch cords to demonstrate on his way to the buyer and put them in my friend's stereo; after he took them out and put back my friend's original cords (cost @ $200.00), I and another person could not detect any significant difference! Oh, the cost of the demonstrated cables? Are you sitting down? $35,000.00!!! The gray ones to be exact:

1743263615_100_4551posted09may18.JPG.172665102a662fc6d781c10a4a575bd3.JPG

Me on the other hand:

984935831_Patchcords-cheap50centsposted14apr18.JPG.b106d36d5a72739ab141c0210c44d784.JPG

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It was probably an earlier version of one of these https://www.denon.com/en-gb/category/homecinema/avreceiver. They are quite versatile with oodles of inputs and outputs at the back.

In regards to cables, as far as I am aware, for digital equipment they either work or they don’t (I understand back in the analogue days cable quality did make a difference). I suspect that the only time you’d hear a difference between a cheap cable and an expensive one, would be with a really, really, really expensive high end system (and even then, maybe/maybe not).

iD, I had not read your post before I posted but my experience kind of bears out some of what you said. High price does not always equal best sound.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 14

Back in the day I used to make up leads for bands using co-axial, the main reason was we often used to pick up CB radio and passing taxis radios on the unscreened copper, nuisance noise seemed to be worse with old valve amps like Hiwatt and Marshall, WEM were solid state and were a lot less noisy. Fast forward to the car factory and equipment that that was measuring volumes and pressures, the panels were fitted with noise reduction equipment to ensure there was no corruption from things like fluorescent lighting.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

When at Leicester University I was lucky enough to attend some concerts with David Munrow. Found this by him of the above

I have an lp with that painting on the cover but it ts not that one; I do not remember what it is at this time but it definitely not a flute piece and it does not have that bird mask on it.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 11

I had a few days in Chester between Xmas and new year and was wondering around the city centre when I heard a distinctive sound. It was Ed Alleyne-Johnson busking. I’ve bumped into him before in York quite a number of years ago and always end up having a chat and buying his latest album.Nice chap. 
I studied at Bradford University and New Model Army were the local band so saw them there a few times.

Positive thoughts to everyone, their relatives and pets.

Robert

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

LUCY UPDATE

Lab results back, all WNL. Temperature WNL (I really have to get a dog suitable thermometer) and medications duly injected.

Final Diagnosis: Gastritis with rupturing of some small veins at the gastroesoephagal junction due to forceful vomiting. Unpleasant in the short term for Lucy, but not a major medical issue.

Discharged into my care with a tub of Barium Sulfate to sprinkle on to her food for the next few days.

My thanks to all for the support.

iD

Dear Lucy, You really should be insisting on cod or haddock  and plain boiled Basmati rice. Probably best to make sure no cheaper substitutes are used by foillowing the human at all stages of preparation. 
Seriously,  my Robbie was a complete nuisance when we were cooking fish. He normally kept out of the way when food was being prepared unless a high speed leap or pounce was needed to intercept something dropped.  We still remember the look of disgust when he retrieved a sprout. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Funny 11