The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Harvey (the cat) - ground up in a nice hot cup of tea.

Taken in isolation, that does sound rather odd!

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 10

35 minutes ago, pH said:

Could depend on several things e.g. how old he is, how much he wants to develop one, whether or not he is emigrating with a partner ...

The longer you’ve spoken with a certain accent, in general the more inclined you are not to lose it completely..

He moved out there after marrying a Canadian here who then wasn't able to meet the requirements to be allowed to stay. 

So he has regular contact with her and her family,  all Canadian and works over there too.

• Like 15

31 minutes ago, pH said:

And if you have a partner, that’s the person you’re likely to speak to most. If they have the same accent as you, it’s inclined to, at least, slow down any loss of yours.

My wife and I grew up within ten miles of each other in the west of Scotland,  have been in Canada nearly 40 years and had lived in England for several years before coming here. When I hear a recording of my own voice, it sounds as if I’m “just off the boat”.

Same with us although people do seem to be able to understand us a bit better now than when we came here 38 years ago. I still get a lot of "I love your accent" despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I have no accent at all :)

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

5 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Same with us although people do seem to be able to understand us a bit better now than when we came here 38 years ago. I still get a lot of "I love your accent" despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I have no accent at all :)

On the other hand, my wife has a pleasant NI accent, different from the broad Gerry Adams type.  For some reason I have retained my definitive Plymouth accent and still get the ILYA comments as though it were straight from Chelsea via university,  Having neither lived in both, its a bit of a surprise! :laugh_mini:

Brian.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Same with us although people do seem to be able to understand us a bit better now than when we came here 38 years ago. 

Your vocabulary will have changed, which makes quite a difference. We find that affects reactions in the UK as well - the different vocabulary, even pronounced in a Scottish accent, makes people consider you as North American. (Fair enough, I suppose.)

• Like 10
  • Agree 6

20 minutes ago, Kelly said:

He moved out there after marrying a Canadian here who then wasn't able to meet the requirements to be allowed to stay. 

So he has regular contact with her and her family,  all Canadian and works over there too.

Yeah, he’ll be speaking real Canajun soon!

• Funny 16

52 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Spending more than 30 years professionally communicating on telephone calls getting responses like "what? can you say that again?" it is inevitable that subtle changes take place - and not intentionally so. I don't try to put on an American accent.

I agree completely. Phones do cut out some frequencies, which doesn’t help. But, if anything, they enhance an accent. I worked for a large organisation, and interacted regularly by phone with several dozen other employees. Before the days of caller-id on phones, if I called someone and only said “Hi, John (for example)”, nine times out of ten, I’d get the reply “Oh, hi, Peter”. Very occasionally, they would get me confused with one other guy, also originally from the west of Scotland.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

My mother came from Edinburgh, my father was Canadian and spent almost all my life in Canada (one possibly formative summer in Scotland at age 2). I think I've shed the vestiges of an Ottawa Valley accent. My sister claimed that Dad was the last person in Ontario to consistently pronounce "clerk" as "clark".

Americans think we say "oot and aboot". I think they call the top of the house the "ruff".

My cousin was working in London. She said that any time a Scottish friend phoned, she'd get a message "Your mother called".

I must have requited love.  We spent the day moving bookcases in the basement room (the one without trains).

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Kelly said:

You asked for a photo of poppy.

Natalie said there was a request for a photo of poppy,  so I came looking at the thread. I noticed a few months ago there was talk of which dog would take which,  which is not the sort of thing anyone should be endorsing I hope. The answer is poppy would run away as fast as possible! 

20200614_165724.jpg

Thanks for the photo.

She looks like trouble with a Capital T (but in a fun way) :D

Would I be right in assuming that she has a mischievous streak?

7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Shocking day today. Note to self don’t let SWMBO check whether the electricity is turned on when I’m working on the  house wiring. I did mention to her that I don’t have life insurance.

Anyway goodnight

Robert

Ah! But does she? :devil::jester:

Mrs iD recently informed me of her newly revised life insurance policy and it really isn’t worth the bother to arrange for an untimely demise.... :biggrin_mini::devil::devil:

6 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Hey Flavio, according to the BBC they’ve found your gold, you left it on the StGallen to Lucerne train. 

Regards,

your friend Robert.

Not mine, sorry. 
All my dosh is in various numbered Swiss bank accounts (literally) and besides I prefer my “ready money” to be in easily convertible and transportable things that retain their value: uncut diamonds, bearer bonds, etc. :D

So much more convenient when moving from one Alpine lair to another....

4 hours ago, pH said:

....And if you have a partner, that’s the person you’re likely to speak to most.....

Oh, I don’t know; the dogs are probably getting more quality conversation time from Mrs iD than yours truly at present (presumably because she can train them but not I).
Interestingly, I read somewhere recently that dogs also have accents. Some researchers were looking at how dogs bark and noted differences between the data collected from different countries. Which, if true and corroborated by further research, raises the most interesting possibility of a hierarchy of dog accents (as in “don’t bark at me like that, that’s common mongrel that is”)  

And speaking of dogs, time to walk the Wolfpack!
Bis Später

iD

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Hey Flavio, according to the BBC they’ve found your gold, you left it on the StGallen to Lucerne train. 

Regards,

your friend Robert.

If flavio had lost it then surely he'd have reported it?  Unless he shouldn't have had it, of course.....

Now what have you been up to flav??

5 hours ago, bbishop said:

Toddy (the dog) - in a lump of Mars Bar, and he was on heart tablets for the last 4½ years of his life.

Harvey (the cat) - ground up in a nice hot cup of tea.

Bill

I thought chocolate was poisonous to dogs?  Unless you cut the crusts off, of course

• Like 15
  • Funny 1