The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all, with warm thoughts to Jamie and Beth

The week ahead should have been so different.  After several days of packing and stowing, I would have set off for Sidmouth on Thursday at an early hour, cunningly timed to avoid nearly all the rush hours between here and there.  Sadly Sidmouth folk festival has fallen victim to that ruddy virus, like so many other things.  I would have had to rethink part of my outward journey.  Until last year I would have stopped in Bristol for a cuppa with my aunt.  Since then she has moved out of her inter-war semi in Sea Mills into a care home in Shirehampton.  I am not at all sure that inmates are allowed visitors at 8 am.  As for the festival, I have only missed two since my first visit in 1975 and there is a sense of longing - what the Welsh call hiraeth.  There will be two festival related virtual broadcasts next weekend from a secret location.  I shall watch them out of curiosity as to how much of the festival atmosphere comes down the line but you would be right to detect a note of scepticism.  At least next year's event is paid for.

As befits Sunday, there will be Sunday lunch.  I had intended to feast on coq au vin but circumstances dictated otherwise and rump steak must suffice.  Oh, the hardship.  The day will be spent quietly unless I am inspired to do something else.  Somehow I doubt it.  On Wednesday evening I am supposed to be subjecting myself to Zoom again, this time in the name of the HMRS.  Another evening of technical hitches awaits.  Before it gets under way I must set the digi box to record Portaloo's latest continental rail journey.  I do not know the city of Salamanca but it aroused my curiosity because e-friend Harry studied there.  That's what he told me, anyway.

There are still aches and pains to be soaked away and still some Radox in the bottle.  Best wishes to all

Chris

Methinks you should perhaps add 'Melancholy Man' by the Moody Blues to your infamous hessian bag!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The town of Meaux just happens to be our twin town. It also has a thriving model railway club. Our club has visited on many occasions with our layouts and I have visited on three of those occasions. I seem to remember the pork chop/mustard wrapped in pastry, delicious. I can't for the life of me recall what it was called. The whole town is on show, not just the model railway club and in typical French fashion everything stopped for lunch (which was a three course meal with coffee or wine over about two hours). Lunch was served up in a marquee set up for the purpose. The town itself is about 30 kilometres east of Paris on the River Marne and the oldest part of the town is surrounded on three sides by the river rather like Shrewsbury.

When I worked in a North East outpost of London, I often had to visit the French Office at Quincy Voisins and was usually billeted at Meaux. That's where I encountered the pork in mustard and pastry, delicious!

However, I also encountered the best Brie I have ever tasted. Unlike every other wishy-washy bries I have tried, Brie de Meaux has a strong flavour. While occasionally, Tess coes may have it on their shelves, it also features in the Lidl Deluxe range.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

6 hours ago, newbryford said:

I once heard the phrase "you're only as old as the woman you feel"

So that automatically makes me 3 years younger....................

Yes,:D No, :unsure:Not good,:nono: I'd be NINE Years Older.:angry::maninlove:. but I'm still classed as a Toy Boy.:good:

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

p.s. If Mr P Bear believes that he is innocent, then I am sure that he will not mind taking a Poly - graph test

Oh please.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

I once heard the phrase "you're only as old as the woman you feel"

So that automatically makes me 3 years younger....................

I got 'thhe look' when I saidcthat.

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

I guess if the surgeon didn't need them anymore they were Spare rib cutters. :D

Yet another piecebof evidence for the need for thatboft requested groan button.

1 hour ago, BokStein said:

When I worked in a North East outpost of London, I often had to visit the French Office at Quincy Voisins and was usually billeted at Meaux. That's where I encountered the pork in mustard and pastry, delicious!

However, I also encountered the best Brie I have ever tasted. Unlike every other wishy-washy bries I have tried, Brie de Meaux has a strong flavour. While occasionally, Tess coes may have it on their shelves, it also features in the Lidl Deluxe range.

I have been educated on ER's and not for the first time. We also prefer Brie de Meaux but I had no idea of the name's derivation. Thanks.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I spent ages carefully placing our outside tables, with assistance as they are heavy. Within minutes of opening, several had been moved, one all the way across the car park, to create social bubbles of up to 12 people.

Luckily, so far I havent seen anyone move furniture at a pub (we have visited dozens since 4th July)  and all customers have been sensible but we dont tend to be out late. What is dissappointing is that most pubs have a very restricted range of ales even those that used to have a big selection, some just having one. However, I gather from talking to staff that its both getting hold of supplies and being cautious. I know that our local Harveys pub that they are very quiet despite plenty of space and another local pub, they posted a photo of them setting up gazeboos over each table in the rain yesterday as they only have outside seating.

On our 5 mile walk yesterday avoiding most of the rain we visited a back street pub. Interesting that htye had seats at the bar but the bar is deep and there is a perspex screen all the way around so effectibely its a table where the stools have been positioned ' not to be moved' and the pub was quiet. Locals were talking about having their outbound flight to Spain cancelled but not the return flight. That was before the announcement yesterday day evening reintroducing the 14 day quarantine form Spain.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Never mind cricket, I am amazed at how lax people are getting about social distancing. Do they not understand how massively damaging it will be to all of us if there is a second Covid lockdown?

I spent ages carefully placing our outside tables, with assistance as they are heavy. Within minutes of opening, several had been moved, one all the way across the car park, to create social bubbles of up to 12 people.

Perhaps the re-imposition of self-isolation for anyone coming back from Spain will concentrate minds. But I very much doubt it. And with the virus still thriving in many parts of the world, I don't see how we avoid a second "spike" in the UK without a serious effort.

Spot on.

And I cant believe Holiday Makers are moaning that the Government has not given them enough notice, WELL SORRY, this is a fast moving situation, Spain have acted and we must do the same otherwise we will be back to square one in no time.

It seems that all people want to do is complain these days, well, we have a Global Pandemic, we thought it was being beaten, but obviously not everywhere, so if a second lockdown comes, it will not be the Governments fault entirely, it's down to common sense and respect, (now there's a word you don't hear that often these days).

Keep your distance, cover up as required, it's a lot better than a Ventilator or BOX.

RANT OVER:angry:,    well for now at least.:D

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Last night I ordered a Cover for a Garden Bench, after ordering and paying for it, I realized it's coming from Accrington, Blackburn, so it will be well sanitized when it arrives.

I spoke to my Cousin in Blackburn last night night to see how Lockdown was affecting him and the Family, and one of his Sons is a Head at a School, and they have to re organize class sizes from 36 ish down to 8, and considering that most classes have to have interpreters in as well, it's going to be difficult.:no:

Again, Social distancing has to be a must for some time to come, and if it takes another year, then so be it, we will have to learn to adjust our thinking to suit todays climate.

RANT 2 OVER:D,,,,,,,,,,,for now at least.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Never mind cricket, I am amazed at how lax people are getting about social distancing. Do they not understand how massively damaging it will be to all of us if there is a second Covid lockdown?

If the Government turn around and announce they can't afford to pay out furlough money again then perhaps people will start to realise.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

If the Government turn around and announce they can't afford to pay out furlough money again then perhaps people will start to realise.......

That's easily rumbled, I'm afraid. If the government doesn't pay out furlough money, it's pretty obvious it'll be paying out more in unemployment benefit in the long run.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

p.s. If Mr P Bear believes that he is innocent, then I am sure that he will not mind taking a Poly - graph test

I bet he'll flat line the whole test.

My friend has nerves of steel, especially when he get's that thousand yard stare in his eyes.

• Like 2
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My first Stock Car meeting of the year at Aldershot today. Train from Wimbledon to Aldershot and then a 30 minute walk to the track. Everyone on the train being sensible with masks and distancing. Looking forward to a great afternoon. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. When I visited Tess Coes yesterday I didn't see anyone not wearing a mask. I have been wearing a mask from day 1 despite my glasses steaming up and my having a rather long beard.

4 hours ago, BokStein said:

A couple of years ago our visitors brought with them an enormous Brie de Meaux together with the bread and wine, delicious. One of our members snaffled the thin wooden box it came in to build some wagons for his   O-16.5 layout.  

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I was once told that you are middle aged when you have to sit down to put your socks on and old when you have to sit down to put your underpants on. Unfortunately I have to sit down to put my shirt on.....

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Dave

I now have to lay on my back on the bed to put my socks on. When taking them off I used to  loosen them then kick them into the dirty linen basket. If I tried that now I'd fall over.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

...If I'm not two knackered from barbeque area building, ...

Is that like knackered, but doubly so?

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

....As befits Sunday, there will be Sunday lunch.  I had intended to feast on coq au vin but circumstances dictated otherwise and rump steak must suffice...

Of course, it is a matter of personal preference and taste (de gustibus and all that) but for me a “Proper Sunday Lunch“ has to be something more than, and something different to, a regular dinner dish. Coq au Vin or Rump Steak are - for me - weekday meals (and if you are a fan of steak, I suggest you look into getting and cooking a hanger steak. It does take a little bit of prep work and care and attention to cook and it is slightly chewier than a rump steak, but it has bags of flavour and well worth the effort. It’s also considerably cheaper than rump steak).

Unfortunately, a traditional “Proper Sunday Lunch (PSL)” can be rather time-consuming to cook. However I do manage to get away with preparing a PSL with minimal work. I cook my joint of meat sous-vide for about 24 hours (which means I can use tough cuts of beef that are very flavourful and which after 24 hours of sous-vide cooking become as soft as butter).  The meat is then seared in a very hot sauté pan before resting, the juices are used to make the gravy.  The cabbage is steamed above the pan of boiling water in which the carrots are cooked, I have an idiot proof no fuss roast potato recipe and after the roasties are done, and whilst the meat is resting, I then cook the Yorkshire puddings.

The biggest drawback of any sort of PSL is that there are generally lots of leftovers. Although I am happy with that, because it means I can then live on roast beef sandwiches for a couple of days.

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

....If you work in a place where you have a "bottomless" funds you find it easy to throw away items than to look after them. Time to get some grip on reality .... 

Sadly, it would seem that the one of the villains of the piece is NHS procurement. I know clinicians, working in A&E, who have told me stories such as having to open a multipack of a sterile item, use only one item and then throw the rest away as there can be no guarantee that the items will remain sterile for future use.  Procurement bought multi packs because they were cheaper, per item, than buying individually wrapped sterile items....

Quite frankly, “funding“  shouldn’t be  just about how much money can be obtained, it should also include sensible and prudent use of that money...

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

....The logistics of her lying comfortably  in the sitting room ....

As opposed to her telling the truth uncomfortably in the dining room?

Curious minds want to know....:jester:

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

..well, we have a Global Pandemic, we thought it was being beaten, but obviously not everywhere, so if a second lockdown comes...

To put on my Captain Cynical outfit again, it would seem that – thanks to the inconsideration and blind wilful stupidity of much of the population-we will see the pandemic play out as nature intended, to wit:

Wave 1: Virus kills the extremely vulnerable,

Wave 2: Virus kills the very vulnerable 

Wave 3: Virus kills the vulnerable
Wave 4: Virus makes a lot of people slightly sick.

Obviously, not all diseases play by these rules, but I think the above is a good rule of thumb. As an interesting aside, it would seem that people whose ancestors managed to recover from the mediaeval plague (a.k.a. The Black Death, and yes there were some), seem to be less likely to get infected by HIV. Syphilis, which would kill you inside of one or two years back in Georgian times, nowadays will eventually kill you – if untreated - after a few decades. From a biological perspective, it makes no sense for a disease to be so lethal that it kills of its’ host quickly before the disease has time to adequately propagate. So, eventually, the strain of disease that predominates will be the one that either doesn’t kill its’ host or only kills its‘ host after a long period of time.

It would seem that Mother Nature, far from being an all embracing and a nurturing earth figure, is actually more akin to a vindictive ex partner who - at the best of times -  only barely tolerates you and would cheerfully see you dead given half-a-chance (although, at the moment, who could blame her). 

Don’t believe me? Look at Australia; the sole purpose of the flora and fauna (i.e. Nature) of that continent is to kill humans.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1