Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Roysville now that brings back memories when i was a transport manager we had a customer that supplied their garden centre. I soon learnt that Wroxham was a one horse town Roys even owned the Mc Donalds. In my last job with the council cleansing department or Streetscene as they call it i had to do ladder training . What ladder did i have to climb in my job none just on to a foldout step on the back of a pavement sweeper to check in the hopper for enough water and to see if it was full.

Rained off from attacking the pyrocanthus but i have sharpened and lubricated the tools. 

Now watching a rather nice young lady on antiques road trip 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I am shocked, Mr Bear, shocked. How dare you snatch the very food from the mouths of the wives and babes of these honest jobbing contractors...

Whatever next? Insisting that these poor, honest, men-of-toil’s labours come in on time and on budget....
The next thing you’ll be suggesting is that those morally upright and totally impartial individuals awarding contracts should never help their friends out to the tune of a useful little contract here and there...

Disgusted in Tunbridge Wells

Mr Bear's early warning Radar detects a strong presence of cynicism, with a dash of p1ss being taken thrown in for good measure....:jester:

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

They put a full width road hump across the road from the tank park to the range at Lulworth. A quick across it in a Challenger 1 meant it was a hump missing areas where the tracks had chewed the hump!!

Good morning. ..Wood found , spray paint procured, various other items bought so now. .time to sit in my work area and do some  muddling!

Baz

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Mr Bear's early warning Radar detects a strong presence of cynicism, with a dash of p1ss being taken thrown in for good measure....:jester:

Cynicism? Sir!

Quite possibly Antanagoge, Antiphrasis, Catachresis, Hyperbaton, Litotes, Synathroesmus or even Tapinosis. But cynicism? Never (unless called upon, by the authorised representatives of the crown, to don the spandex and become Captain Cynical)

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Roysville now that brings back memories when i was a transport manager we had a customer that supplied their garden centre. I soon learnt that Wroxham was a one horse town Roys even owned the Mc Donalds. In my last job with the council cleansing department or Streetscene as they call it i had to do ladder training . What ladder did i have to climb in my job none just on to a foldout step on the back of a pavement sweeper to check in the hopper for enough water and to see if it was full.

Rained off from attacking the pyrocanthus but i have sharpened and lubricated the tools. 

Now watching a rather nice young lady on antiques road trip 

The Macdonalds is still there, though I date from l long before McDs were in the UK, So I remember that area being the butchers Department of the main food store.

Directly across the main road was the clothing and china departments,

To the left across a side street was childrens toys,

Across the other corner of the junction was " fashionable ladies  female teenagers " clothing.

On the side of Tunstead road was the garden centre..

Long before I ever got there, Roys of Wroxham (which never was in Wroxham till recently) even supplied the street lighting. Their provisions department would row out to the hire craft to deliver food.

Oh and their first shop was in... Coltishall.

Time to go, I have a few measurement to do, then head for home via... that humpback bridge and all the Effin clowns going from one Roys to another (or the takeaways).

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13

Happy Monday - who knows!! :O

Nothing "reacted to" as I am once again getting a "there's a problem reacting to this message" every time I try, it's not for want of trying that I've not reacted to anyone/anything

Quiet weekend once again, the bursitis VERY slowly getting better I think, so incrementally small steps I'm very bored, oh well!

Working today and otherwise will be another slow day. Jemma will be home/over to pick up Whitney later, she had a morning flight to Atlanta, then flying home from there as her schedule ends today.

20 first thing, sunny and very pleasant. High of 28 expected.

Carry on.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

...Roys of Wroxham ...

WrOxham? As a well travelled Gentleman of means and leisure, I know of that village called WrExham, but I know not of that place they call WrOxham,

As a hapless traveller in that strange and foreign land, called Engerland by it’s fearsome woad bedaubed Natives, I beg of you, oh Parfait Knight “TheQ”, to elucidate on where this amazing metropolis of Wroxham be found.

And pray tell, once I am ensconced in the friendly embrace In one of Wroxham’s  finest hosteleries, where must I go to partake of that famous repast “6 pints of lager, a take away curry and a bag of chips”?

And in recompense, Sire, when be you in the Helvetic Confederation, I would be honoured to introduce you to those amiable, but rude, mechanicals, so gifted at grilling a Chlöpfer

• Like 6
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I am back from my bicycle test at Southend. The person conducting the test said I was the first patient apart from those undergoing cancer surgery to have this test since the Covid infections started. I did have to cycle until I felt I couldn’t go on much more. Though I suspect they do eventually tell you to stop. I don’t think people who dislike masks would enjoy the form fitting face mask used in the test. Now I just have to wait for an appointment to go to Basildon for the stent procedures. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all,

What a miserable day.  Just what one might expect for the summer holidays in England, I suppose ;)  

A sciurine incursion into the flower beds yet again must be dealt with.  The bacon at lunch didn't taste of bacon - in fact it tasted of nothing at all very much, and the weather is awful.  But let's not moan about the weather eh?  We'll leave that to all the others :jester: 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Even I have been there. 

I have visited both WrOxham and WrExham.  And I know which I prefer.  One is on the way to Cromer, the other on the way to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobllllantisilogogogoch.  I prefer the one that's easier to say ;)  

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Done a bit more pottering out in the garden until something wet started falling from the sky. Its too windy as well for some other jobs but things are predicted to get better later in the week. The ankle is still a bit sore but things seem to be getting better there also. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

WrOxham? As a well travelled Gentleman of means and leisure, I know of that village called WrExham, but I know not of that place they call WrOxham,

As a hapless traveller in that strange and foreign land, called Engerland by it’s fearsome woad bedaubed Natives, I beg of you, oh Parfait Knight “TheQ”, to elucidate on where this amazing metropolis of Wroxham be found.

And pray tell, once I am ensconced in the friendly embrace In one of Wroxham’s  finest hosteleries, where must I go to partake of that famous repast “6 pints of lager, a take away curry and a bag of chips”?

And in recompense, Sire, when be you in the Helvetic Confederation, I would be honoured to introduce you to those amiable, but rude, mechanicals, so gifted at grilling a Chlöpfer

Sadly there are few places for you,   gourmet eating or come to that drinking, is not a feature of Wroxham.  There is but one eatery,  right by the aforementioned bridge is "Liberties" an American inspired food establishment,  the other side of the road behind the boat yard is "The Shed" a modern double height bar which has on occasion had some real ales.

Crossing said bridge to the north east side of the river is Hoveton aka Effin clown town, 

Immediately  on the left is a Chinese,  a kebab shop,  a cafe,  a chip shop,  on the right,  an eat in chip shop,  a cafe,  a fudge shop then across the road junction  McDs in Roy's.

There is behind the right hand side the Hotel Wroxham  I've had a good meal there. 

Round the junction to the left,  the Maids head,  full of tourists in the summer,  but you can get a good pint there. 

For Il Dottore's refined tastes,  I'd recommend going slightly further,  I would recommend,

If you are piscatorially interested  The Bure River Cottage restaurant 

https://www.burerivercottagerestaurant.co.uk/ 3 miles to the east in the village of Horning in sight of my sailing  club. 

5 miles to the north east the White horse in Neatishead http://www.thewhitehorseinnneatishead.com/

Or 10 miles away,  but 20 by road the Thurne  Lion,  https://www.thelionatthurne.com/

Or the Swan inn, aka by me the cremated Swan, about 15 miles  north east.  https://www.theinghamswan.co.uk/

Oh where is it all?  It is on this, it's special Day, they are in the county of Norfolk.

Wroxham and Hoveton face each other across the river Bure,  they ard the home of the Broads hire boat industry. 

I can but suggest, you access Google Maps to view their positions on this globe,  switching to street view for a better look. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I missed page 8888.  But it looks as though I might have got reply 222222.  Not sure quite how you check that but counting backwards from the current total of 222227 .........

14 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The broads are home to several escaped things..  

And inebriate Mancunians on my most recent visit!  

Black swans aren't ten-a-penny in the UK yet but there is quite a number in widely dispersed pairs.  Two made a home on Marazion Marshes in Cornwall some years ago which barely rippled the interest of the large number of twitchers up the road at Hayle Estuary who were far more interested in the Spoonbill, Bar-tailed Godwit and Greenshank there.  

We have green parakeets locally here which are thought to be of Indian rather than Australian origin and have now bred successfully to around 5000 pairs.  Known as Twickenham Parakeets they are a daily sight.  

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Cynicism? Sir!

Quite possibly Antanagoge, Antiphrasis, Catachresis, Hyperbaton, Litotes, Synathroesmus or even Tapinosis.

Such big words are way beyond a Little Bear.  I did start to investigate the meanings of such fine contraptions, however it soon became apparent that I didn't understand the explanations of the meanings either :dontknow:

So I've headed off into a calm, secure place in order to attempt some semblance of recovery.  Quiet meditation, aided by a very large portion of Jaffa Cakes should help. :senile:

• Like 7
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Not all modern designs are bad.  I think this bridge over the River Severn at Jackfield is a little known gem of modern design:

Probably designed by a target makerCivil Engineer.

Ugly as sin! I presume there is, unfortunately, a matching structure on the right side just out of the picture?

• Like 10