The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Well if it wasn’t you at the Brains Trust, it was someone who was as damn near identical as makes no difference.

Are you sure you don’t have a doppelgänger? A leftover, perhaps, from your days working with the “secret squirrels“?

Now that is a frightening  thought of me having a doppelganger.

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning and very little if any wind. So no excuses for not doing some of the G word. As its predicted to be dry I'll zap some more weeds and once they're dead it will be time to mow the grass, still waiting for it to set seed to cover some of the bald patches. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Yes Robert, autumn is showing its hand already. Our heating was determined to fire up yesterday but i have it switched off.

Baz

I think you've been living in Yorkshire for a bit too long.:jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Jamie.

To answer the poser about round and oblong bales of straw. In the field behind my parents house they usef to do the rectangular bales the rest the round bales. We asked the farmer why the answer somebody fron the Carlisle area wanted to buy some straw and they wanted rectangular bales.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

...snip... We found a box full of the tapes we’d sent her over several years. It was a weird experience to listen to those tapes, some of them 30 years old by then, containing things like our impressions of a new country and the voices of our three kids (none of them older than 5 when we arrived) talking to their gran.

I hope that you kept them, maybe digitized them, too.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Thanks Jamie.

To answer the poser about round and oblong bales of straw. In the field behind my parents house they usef to do the rectangular bales the rest the round bales. We asked the farmer why the answer somebody fron the Carlisle area wanted to buy some straw and they wanted rectangular bales.

The rectangular bales have often been used in the construction of houses for insulation, I believe!

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

In my mention of Straw bales, the oddity

1 These are Huge straw bales requiring a fork lift to move them, not the size for house building,

2 These have been placed on a concrete pan in a field, not anywhere you'd use them. 

3 The farm this year has only produced round bales (and has done for some time)

4 The Farm that uses the pan has plenty of space nearer the farm.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

At a fund raising barn dance in a local farmer’s ...er... barn a colleague, somewhat the worse for wear, was heard to exclaim “isn’t this nice, all sitting here on our stray balls”.

• Funny 19

Afternoon all, we awoke to some pleasant weather and decided on a trip to the Glen, of course by the time we had driven up there the cloud was thickening, however we had a picnic sat in the car on a full car park, a short walk by the river was just what we needed. As has been stated Autumn is definitely starting , though no sign nor sound of the Red Deer rut yet, so not quite what we call proper Autumn yet. A bit of the "G" word has also taken place, just tidying up a bit as stuff comes to the end of the season, we leave stuff for the wildlife, but some tidying is required as well.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

The drying-out machine is now going full belt, the plumber is here attending to something else and I see that somebody has 'done a Kingzance' (we miss him) in terms of taking a potential step towards answering the  question. (I could, were I so inclined, now offer the clue 'sixth' - assuming you include those which were cancelled or renamed).  Now think about the tense of the question.

Anyway back to drying out - the two chaps turned up a couple of hours back and spent lots of time explring with damp  meters and measuring room sizes (laser pointer to measure and then it feeding the result direct into a laptop 'puter).  We would seem to have some walls 99% damp for the bottom course or two so the drying out device wiill now be drawing moisture out of just about anything and the damp levels will be rechecked in a week from now, then after another week, and another week ... ad infinitum until the damp meter readings are acceptable.   After that 'restoration 'work can begin - thus far that looks to be mainly limited to skirting boards, we hope (including the recently repainted kitchen of course, grr).  but looking on the briught side the machine pumps out warm air so the heating can be turned off should it get a bit autumnally nippy

Plumber is back trying to sort why we have lost pressure on the balanced cold side of things - first item on his list has just been ruled out and he is moving on to the second one - seemingly completely unconnected with any recent work on the system (so far).

Weather has been good so far and one cat seem quite happy with all the drying out racket of the water gollapping machine and a large diameter fan.

Have a good day folks and stay safe

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Afternoon all,

The drying-out machine is now going full belt, the plumber is here attending to something else and I see that somebody has 'done a Kingzance' (we miss him) in terms of taking a potential step towards answering the  question. (I could, were I so inclined, now offer the clue 'sixth' - assuming you include those which were cancelled or renamed).  Now think about the tense of the question.

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As to Mike's infernal question, is the answer that they have all had Royal Navy vessels named after them.

Jamie

image.png.26133067706fbcbd0a43b61e4df3ee8f.png

So, Mike, is Jamie92208's answer correct or ignored?

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I think you've been living in Yorkshire for a bit too long.:jester:

Is that possible? 

A left-field (but serious) question:

Is anyone aware of an address/procedure for paying cheques into an account with the Halifax bank if you're not able to visit a branch (due to shielding) or don't have Internet banking? I had a look on their website a few days ago but couldn't see anything. Tried ringing them to ask but got interrupted after ten minutes on hold, haven't been inclined to repeat the attempt. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, BokStein said:

image.png.26133067706fbcbd0a43b61e4df3ee8f.png

So, Mike, is Jamie92208's answer correct or ignored?

As I said  'a potential step towards answering the question' (i.e it is not the answer).  

Plus this  hint - 'I could, were I so inclined, now offer the clue 'sixth' - assuming you include those which were cancelled or renamed'.  And the reminder to think about  think about the tense of the question.

Excellent news to hear that our very own aviator (retd.) is moving towards release - hopefully rapidly and without the need to use the Aden cannon which by now has probably been smuggled in to him.  Although I suppose those who 'overlooked' the scan might be considered to be reasonable targets.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1