The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, Inner Temple Hare..

5 hours plus one hours sleep, I could do with more..

One cockwomble on the way home, I slowed and stopped as the lights turned red, the cockwomble behind me pulls out and passes on the right to turn right, only some smart braking by the car legally coming out from the right avoided an accident.

It's getting a bit hectic here, I have 4 major systems on the go at the moment, two are on their rerun finals due to minor problems. One is half way through, and another is just starting.. 

I'm just having a slight breather as one system is awaiting some test equipment that's on another system. while the other two are doing short automatic sections..

Fairly warm this morning, mostly cloudy, As Ben the nosey Collie found some scent in the garden and charged around following it..

I'm in the landrover today which still smells of smoke, due to the number of people who delayed their corona virus MOT and service, I didn't get it booked in for repairs until the  end of October... So it's dry weather only for it at the moment..

So it's a big shop at the Orange shed after work just in case, and I have an unrelated Tes and Coe Shopping list on the way home..

Of Tes and Coe's I stopped off at our nearest one on the way home, there was a lot of space in the car park as all the kids are back at school, and Effin Clown town showed a deficiency of effin clowns.

Ah one equipment down, the one that's just starting and someone else is using  the next piece test equipment I need for today..

Time to start typing, I have 2000 characters to type, measuring resistance..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sorry about the absence while my Broadband was being upgraded, but hey ho it's done now.  I'm currently synching at about 36 Mbs, which is about double what I was getting - and at no extra cost.

Belated happy birthday Robert, and I'm pleased that Busy Lizzies came up with the goods, was it the branch in the car park, or the one in Swadford Street - I prefer the one in the car park, as they also offer their meals cooked in vegetable oil, which 30747 prefers, as she has an aversion to beef dripping, and we can both be served with something which we like.

D word has also been mentioned again, and I have to paint the ceiling in the dining room this morning, after having taken Lily for a walk, and before going to Kirkby Lonsdale to collect a bank statement - provided Barclays can provide such a thing - which does seem to be rather hit and miss.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 19

5 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Morning All

Belated happy birthday Robert, and I'm pleased that Busy Lizzies came up with the goods, was it the branch in the car park, or the one in Swadford Street - I prefer the one in the car park, as they also offer their meals cooked in vegetable oil, which 30747 prefers, as she has an aversion to beef dripping, and we can both be served with something which we like.

Regards to All

Stewart

Thanks,

We went to the one on Swadford St as it’s the only one that does Gluten free. We used to go to the one in car park.

My meal came with a ticket saying ‘gluten free, cook in vegetable oil’  I know that they have to use a separate fryer for gluten free so by the looks of it it’s filled with vegetable oil. 

Regards Robert

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Yet another dull and wet start to the day, once I have access to the bathroom I will remove the old silicone sealant from around the bath and then replace it with fresh sealant, I’m hoping to have this done by dinner. After that there are no other plans, but I’ll probably spend it in the cellar putting away the equipment used in the bathroom. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later.

Brian 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Poor nights sleep last night thanks to Arthur Itis going at it hammer and tongs. Just as well there's only a bit of shopping to do today. Did anyone notice the earthquake?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-uk-earthquake-39-magnitude-22646662#source=push

I didn't either but it was in the region of Slough so probably too far away. It was timed at 08:45 this morning.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Poor nights sleep last night thanks to Arthur Itis going at it hammer and tongs. Just as well there's only a bit of shopping to do today. Did anyone notice the earthquake?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-uk-earthquake-39-magnitude-22646662#source=push

I didn't either but it was in the region of Slough so probably too far away. It was timed at 08:45 this morning.

Are they sure it was an earthquake and not John Betjemins hoped for friendly bombs falling on Slough

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

It looks as though a cleaner and gardener for Dad are pretty much sorted through recommendations from friends and proven track records but we are discussing the details; thanks to ERs who offered advice.

I don't look like my avatar either, although some have said that when I get wound up I can spit fire. It's actually a wyvern and is taken from the Midland Railway's shipping house flag.

Have a good day everyone and commiserations for Phil and Simon - I hope things improve for you soon.

Dave

PS, maybe the Slough earthquake was the local authority's attempt to liven the place up a bit?

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 17
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Belated happy birthday Robert.  Avatar - just a little less hair now.  Chris F BT - had some problems last year but seem s OK now.  Mike, Derby Derby Hotel and Roundhouse  a pity and I will definitely miss  what is always a good show.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

G'day all,

No I didn't feel the earthquake but if you enlarge the map in the link below you will see that various people with either tender back ends or not wearing shoes managed to feel it at considerable distances from the epicentre - and well past us. Incidentally the USGS record it as 3.9, not 3,3

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000bjlf/dyfi/intensity

No other excitement this morning although because herself decided to consume one for herself I was extended the offer (accepted) of a boiled egg for breakfast - an increasingly common event although I expect this fad will pass at some time..  It is supposed to be sunny here this morning and now but from that comment you will have gained the impression, correctly, that it isn't although it is quite bright and a bit warmer.

Our surgery used to get in a right tangle over diabetes checks sending out a very ambiguous letter telling you to arrange an appointment but not explaining  that you first needed to have have booked and had a blood test.  That changed to a far more sensible letter after I had expressed to the senior partner my opinion of that sort of time wasting as a direct consequence of abysmal english in the letter (which was subsequently re-written and now makes sense).  Incidentally the blood letting department seems to be incredibly busy at present and my appointment next week will be a day later than the INR clinic requires.  Maybe I should also have booked one for 3 weeks time in view of the current popularity among folk of having a needle stuck in their arm?

No major plans for today but I might have a look at the hedge, possibly but in the meanwhile I am tasked to clean the vacuum..  And for those who haven't seen it previously - you lucky people - here's a bigger version of my avatar photo.  Near Coates on the Gloucester - Swindon line, taken by the late Tom Clift  back in the 1980s.  The day  after a rather hectic night on Gloucester shed with the boilersmith attending to leaking tubes in the firebox after which we had to raise steam rather quickly in order to get off shed on time;  good job the firebox was still hot and the boiler was still pretty warm.  But here we are coming down from Sapperton like a good 'un

Have a good day one and all.

81510146_7029atCoates160587.jpg.cea288d6ab368b8ad5be9953008d8170.jpg

Ah!! Clunk Castle! ( and, at one time it did go Clunk as it moved. One of the current owners was annoyed by me calling it clunk.."It doesn't go clunk".."it used to!" Was my response..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

For the unaware UTC is Co ordinated universal time the new name for Gmt

Being pedantic (who, me?), although the times are the same they are different in definition because GMT is a Time Zone and UTC is a time standard. Both names are in use for their own purposes.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12